Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Winter Olympics thread.

Comments

• Options

That snowboarding is a brilliant event. The blokes event yesterday was epic viewing.

Would also pay good money to have a go on the luge.

Was driven in a bobsled once near La Plagne - boy I'm glad I packed 3 extra pairs of boxers!

• Options
    Disappointing to see the Scottish lassies losing to Sweden in the throwing stones and mopping the floor game.
  • Options
    Eve Muirhead & Anna Sloan helped

Disappointing to see the Scottish lassies losing to Sweden in the throwing stones and mopping the floor game.

• Options
    Love watching the Short Speed Skating... Really disappointed for the British lad in the 1500m who crashed out
  • Options
    Lots of complaints about the commentary on the slope style stuff. from yesterday on the BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26116848

I just thought it was very excitable and they got caught up in the emotion of the whole event...

The girl co-commentating was a friend and team-mate of Jenny Jones rather than some sort of expert commentator who should know how to be "pc"
  • Options

Love watching the Short Speed Skating... Really disappointed for the British lad in the 1500m who crashed out

Dutch seem to be masters at it (not the 1500m though)

• Options

Dutch seem to be masters at it (not the 1500m though)

I was thinking about why they were so much better the other day, I could only come up with them having a history of frozen canels?
  • Options
    Jesus wept. Just watched the US women panelling the Swiss 9-0 in the ice hockey. One of the Swiss players fell over while waiting for a face-off. I love hockey, but there's no way this should be an Olympic sport for women. It's utterly pointless, and just a giveaway medal for either the US or Canada. I thought sports where only one or two countries had any prospect of gold were supposed to be removed from the Olympics?
  • Options

Lots of complaints about the commentary on the slope style stuff. from yesterday on the BBC

I just thought it was very excitable and they got caught up in the emotion of the whole event...

The girl co-commentating was a friend and team-mate of Jenny Jones rather than some sort of expert commentator who should know how to be "pc"

Can't believe people complained about this, seriously get out more. All it was was Aimee Fuller, a friend and team mate of Jenny Jones, going crazy when she won, like anyone else. Pathetic complaining about it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Can't believe people complained about this, seriously get out more. All it was was Aimee Fuller, a friend and team mate of Jenny Jones, going crazy when she won, like anyone else. Pathetic complaining about it
    A case of fuddy duddy two planker w***ers jealous of the gays on trays who got GBs first medal on snow in 90 years lol ;-))
  • Options
    Does anyone know when the ski cross event is scheduled? Love it, its mad!
  • Options

Does anyone know when the ski cross event is scheduled? Love it, its mad!

looks like the 20th for men
    http://www.fis-ski.com/freestyle-skiing/
  • Options
    How are the Jamaican bobsleigh team doing?
  • Options
    Saulc23 said:

Just looking at a picture of Eve Muirhead on the back of The Times. Wow!! Think I need to be paying more attention to this broom-sweepy thing!! ;-)
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

Saulc23 said:

Just looking at a picture of Eve Muirhead on the back of The Times. Wow!! Think I need to be paying more attention to this broom-sweepy thing!! ;-)
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Good man Bournemouth!
  • Options
    Haven't been interested in any of it yet. It's left me cold.
  • Options
    Question. Legit question, i.e. not taking the piss. Why are there women's and men's curling teams? There's surely no inherent advantage for men over women?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Question. Legit question, i.e. not taking the piss. Why are there women's and men's curling teams? There's surely no inherent advantage for men over women?

I was wondering the exact same thing while watching it this afternoon
  • Options

Question. Legit question, i.e. not taking the piss. Why are there women's and men's curling teams? Surely men should throw the stones and the women should do the sweeping.?

Fixed.

• Options
    I know there has been some criticism about the commentary on the snow boarding and slopestyle skiing. I personally do not like the whooping and screaming and found Abbi whatsits contribution pathetic. However we do need some sort of expert who knows what they are talking about. Snow Boarding and skiing Slopestyle disciplines are new to most of us and we need things explained rather these to blokes shouting "Switch" 540, 720, 900 etc. This came to a head today when both of them were screaming that Summerhayes had won a medal after her improved 2nd run. Only when the score came up and they looked at the replays did they see she'd made errors.
    I missed them just as I miss many things whilst watching live football on the telly, but Andy Gray always spotted them as does Gary Neville and even Robbie Savage does on the radio. I respect the expert opinion, I see everything myself in cricket, but the BBC need better brains in the Sochi box.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

I know there has been some criticism about the commentary on the snow boarding and slopestyle skiing. I personally do not like the whooping and screaming and found Abbi whatsits contribution pathetic. However we do need some sort of expert who knows what they are talking about. Snow Boarding and skiing Slopestyle disciplines are new to most of us and we need things explained rather these to blokes shouting "Switch" 540, 720, 900 etc. This came to a head today when both of them were screaming that Summerhayes had won a medal after her improved 2nd run. Only when the score came up and they looked at the replays did they see she'd made errors.
    I missed them just as I miss many things whilst watching live football on the telly, but Andy Gray always spotted them as does Gary Neville and even Robbie Savage does on the radio. I respect the expert opinion, I see everything myself in cricket, but the BBC need better brains in the Sochi box.

#

But they were going crazy for Summerhayes because she did put down a really good run, and could well have podiumed. She had the best rail section of all the girls and then she did two 1260's, which no one else did. Her hand drag on the last jump cost her, which was an oversight by the commentators but they were just pumped that she'd put down such a good run .

I suppose for those that have no idea going on it would be good if one commentator could try and stay calmer and explain exactly what all then terms/tricks are.

Personally, I love a bit of bias on the tv. Every other countries commentators are like that so why not ours.
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

Sadly, it looks like she's already heard about me!!! ;-(

Another bonus is she would have the kitchen swept in no time!
  • Options
    In all of my 3 days experience of watching Curling, i can't believe she didn't just roll up and take the game against Canada to an extra end.

Im absolutely livid.
  • Options
    Agree totally crass move.
  • Options
    had to go out after the 6th end, did we lose?
  • Options

In all of my 3 days experience of watching Curling, i can't believe she didn't just roll up and take the game against Canada to an extra end.

Im absolutely livid.

Agree too. No point in going for broke unless she had too. She didn't have to and threw the match away. Still think we'll go through to the semis however.

• Options
    Another reason to watch the Curling