Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Winter Olympics thread.

Comments

• Options
    Watched Cool Runnings last night, the kids loved it! Two things Calgary '88 will always be remembered for - Eddie The Eagle Edwards and The Jamaican Bobsled team...
  • Options
    red_murph said:

Oakster said:

red_murph said:

Absolutely loving the games. The women's snowboard cross this morning was great, that course looked frightening, great viewing! Even really enjoyed watching the cross country skiing today as well. Those chaps don't leave much out there do they, looked close to complete exhaustion at the end of the race.

I love the Cross Country skiing too - mainly because I do it myself most days, its a brutal sport I doubt there are any fitter athletes than these guys and girls. Hoping for a Canadian medal in the sprints tomorrow morning....
    I watched the Nordic combined thing this morning Oakster. Ski Jumping and cross country (as I'm sure you know, but I'm a novice to Winter Olympics viewing). A bizarre thing but enthralling. I wish the cameras had shown how steep those uphill bits were a bit more, you could see it from the occasional angle but it did indeed look a wee bit brutal.
    Yeah that is a wierd one - I like the Biathlon as well, just trying to keep the rifle still enough to hit the targets when you are breathing like a monster after the skiing bit is an accomplishment itself.
  • Options

In order of loveliness:
    2 - 1 - 4 - 3
  • Options
    Pervs
  • Options
    When did Bobsleigh become Bobsled?
  • Options

In order of loveliness:
    2 - 1 - 4 - 3
    Typical shit powell formation
  • Options
    Oakster said:

Watched Cool Runnings last night, the kids loved it! Two things Calgary '88 will always be remembered for - Eddie The Eagle Edwards and The Jamaican Bobsled team...

as said on telly yesterday - Jamaica were not even the number team from the Caribbean that year. Netherlands Antilles beat them but did they get a film made about them?
  • Options
    Vanessa-Mae a better violinist than a skier.
  • Options

Lol where did she finish 67th I thought I heard
  • Options
    smiffyboy said:

She was something like 50+ seconds behind the winner. Fair play to her though, how many of us are likely to represent our country at anything?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BBC have done a crap job IMO. Terrible presenters
  • Options

BBC have done a crap job IMO. Terrible presenters

Apart from Clare Balding (who is as professional as always) I agree. The only commentators they've got right are Hugh Porter and Wilf O'Reilly for the speed skating. Steve Cram is boring when he commentates on anything, Hazel Irvine is duller than ditchwater and Jonathan Edwards - despite being a hero of mine when I was younger (i was a triple jumper) makes Alan Titchmarsh sound interesting. As always, the hockey commentary is awful too.
  • Options
    they had that young gb skiier james woods commentating on the halfpipe earlier and he was pretty good, probably because in comparison to the others who shout 'what a run!!!!!' then when they realise the person has only scored a 56 sit quietly saying nothing for the next minutes
  • Options
    smiffyboy said:

67th so far, but she isn't out of it. She should come back into it in the next discipline, - sexy violin playing on ice!
  • Options

I was a triple jumper.

Lol, Rofl and PMSL.
  • Options
    Graham Bell is an excellent commentator.
  • Options
    To be honest Graham Bell is decent. I'm not a great fan of Claire Balding - she is better in short doses behind a desk in a studio.
  • Options
    Apart from the silly boys commentary in the snowboarding etc I think the coverage has been excellent.
    One of those lads doing the snowboarding and ski style etc sounds like Stan Collymore. I appriciate their enthusiasm but they do not explain anything any spen too much time whooping.
    Being at home all day this year, for the first time in 30 years, I have not had the TV on until this started and I love it and will miss it. The Curling is becoming ridiculously addictive.
  • Options
    I have the rest of the week off so will largely be planning my days around the curling

much respect for vanessa mae giving it a go, she was the slowest finisher but placed ahead of 20 others who didn't finish. what an amazing experience for her
  • Options
    rina said:

I have the rest of the week off so will largely be planning my days around the curling

much respect for vanessa mae giving it a go, she was the slowest finisher but placed ahead of 20 others who didn't finish. what an amazing experience for her

But is that what elite sport should be about?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

To be honest Graham Bell is decent. I'm not a great fan of Claire Balding - she is better in short doses behind a desk in a studio.

Have to say I think Balding is quality. An excellent presenter and clearly does her research.
  • Options
    Agree. CB is quality.
  • Options
    Fenninger just missed out in the Womens Super-G, great form though -

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Riviera said:

rina said:

It is part of what the Olympics is about; watching Eddie the eagle, Eric the eel, that Saudi girl in 2012, cool runnings as well as the best in the world
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Apologies Riviera - thats what a decade in Canada does, now back to the soccer discussions...
  • Options
    Oakster said:

Riviera said:

Apologies Riviera - thats what a decade in Canada does, now back to the soccer discussions...
    It's not just you.
  • Options
    rina said:

Riviera said:

rina said:

It is part of what the Olympics is about; watching Eddie the eagle, Eric the eel, that Saudi girl in 2012, cool runnings as well as the best in the world
    Really? Not in my book.
  • Options
    Bronze is all we can get in Curling based on current fiasco v Canada women.
  • Options

Has it finished?
  • Options

Has it finished?
    No, but not looking good...