Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Come in No 4 your time is up! (Ed. Page 33 - Jackson signs new contract to 2023)

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2014

Ahem....

Went to shite when he went off.

We lost the midfield completely, coincidence of course.

Every header from defence was reached by an Ipswich player first after Jacko came off, with the CM's nowhere to be seen ...

He offers nothing at all though ...

I got pulled up for posting about the fact that I thought he had a quiet game on this thread last week, and it was mentioned that I should probably talk about his performance on the post match views.

Seems though that if anyone thinks he has a good game, or, in this case we had a poor game after he went off, then it's fine to put it up on this thread.

No matter either way. My thoughts are that he stuck some good tackles in during the first half, but I really don't notice him as the game goes on. I don't agree that we lost the midfield after he went off. You may be right that because he's gone off we lost our captain's influence, but I didn't, and I don't think could tell that, unless I was down there on that pitch.

He looked done in by the time he went off so I thought it was a sensible sub. It is a shame because he doesn't seem to be as much of threat going forward at the moment, but we've all seen him get vital goals before, so I would be silly to write him off.

Be interesting to see BP's thinking with Buyens fit again. Not all of Buyens, Cousins, JJ and Coq can play. Coq looks to be a class act at this level and I think we'll want to get as much time out of him as poss b4 the loan ends. We might see the first time JJ doesn't start a game soon.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    cabbles said:

Ahem....

Every header from defence was reached by an Ipswich player first after Jacko came off, with the CM's nowhere to be seen ...

We might see the first time JJ doesn't start a game soon.
    Only if he gets an injury don't hold your breath, did the ugly stuff to an acceptable standard yet again.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

cabbles said:

Ahem....

Only if he gets an injury don't hold your breath, did the ugly stuff to an acceptable standard yet again.
    Not suggesting he should be dropped, just musing what BP will do with them all fit.

Do we need him to do more than the ugly stuff though? I thought a major part of his game was the late runs etc. I didn't see that today.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    cabbles said:

RedChaser said:

cabbles said:

Ahem....

Not suggesting he should be dropped, just musing what BP will do with them all fit.

Do we need him to do more than the ugly stuff though? I thought a major part of his game was the late runs etc. I didn't see that today.
    He's the Captain, Bobs mouthpiece on the pitch massive vote of no confidence for Bob to drop him, rest him or whatever. I have said it before and will say it again just can't see it happening but you keep pondering if it makes you feel better.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Ahem....

This ... Jackson is an A1 'tidier upper' he's so good at it that half of his excellent play is either unnoticed or taken for granted
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

cabbles said:

RedChaser said:

cabbles said:

Ahem....

He's the Captain, Bobs mouthpiece on the pitch massive vote of no confidence for Bob to drop him, rest him or whatever. I have said it before and will say it again just can't see it happening but you keep pondering if it makes you feel better.
    Doesn't make me feel better. Just using this forum to put forward an alternative opinion based on the fact that I didn't see him get forward as much as I would've liked today (or last week). I agree he's captain and bob's mouthpiece on the pitch, and I'd be surprised if he was dropped. It may be that his role becomes more of a tidy upper as stated above, in addition to his excellent captaincy skills.

I just think when Buyens comes back, BP will want to play him. If that's the case, then wouldn't want all 4 playing (JJ, Buyens, Cousins and Coq). Mind you, it wouldn't surprise me to have 4 central midfielders on the pitch. As I don't think BP would want to drop any of them
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    @cabbles‌ For me and Bob thus far JJ, as Captain starts if fit, BBs dilemma is who else he plays with him. He may want to rest Cousins for fear of burning him out, he may want to give Buyens extended rest time for his hamstring to fully repair for the second half of the season thereby utilising Coq's loan to the full, who knows. Not such a bad problem to have and that's what the coach gets paid for but I just don't see his right hand man and Captain being left out. Did you witness the warm embrace they both had after the win at Reading in front of us? If you did, you would not be contemplating JJs omission from the side, If not you underestimate the the strong bond between them. I'm out.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

@cabbles‌ For me and Bob thus far JJ, as Captain starts if fit, BBs dilemma is who else he plays with him. He may want to rest Cousins for fear of burning him out, he may want to give Buyens extended rest time for his hamstring to fully repair for the second half of the season thereby utilising Coq's loan to the full, who knows. Not such a bad problem to have and that's what the coach gets paid for but I just don't see his right hand man and Captain being left out. Did you witness the warm embrace they both had after the win at Reading in front of us? If you did, you would not be contemplating JJs omission from the side, If not you underestimate the the strong bond between them. I'm out.

Didn't go to Reading so missed it. I'm not stirring the pot for the sake of it. I used to be quite critical of JJ because I thought our whole set up was to accommodate him. I realise now based on his continued goals, performance levels, talismanic captaincy and all round contribution to the club that I was wrong, and have since tried to always offer a balanced opinion.

I'm always going to question his performance if I don't feel he looks threatening going forward, because I'm so used to/or think that's what he's in the team to do.

Maybe I am a bit naive to think that's all he's about, and again, I'm always happy to admit that if he's doing ugly, vital stuff, then I hold my hands up. But then that to me opens up the question of having a midfield three/two of JJ, Buyens, Cousins and now Coq. For me we need one of them to be the more advanced, adding to our attacking play, regardless of combination.
  • Options
    JJ has been brilliant for us over the last few years or so. However I think if we as a club want to be stronger than JJ can no longer be in our plans. Watching him today he just goes missing 90 percent of the time. It's like he never really wants the ball.
  • Options
    Judging by some here tonight we might as well give him the managers job
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Don't think Jacko adds anything to the team anymore. Shouldn't be starting as the game is passing him by.

Original comment on this thread. 100% right when written nearly a year ago. 100% right now. The game simply passes him by- he doesn't contribute enough to be starting the amount of games he does. Armband for TBH and use jackson for 20 mins off the bench as and when his experience is needed.
  • Options
    Tanque said:

Don't think Jacko adds anything to the team anymore. Shouldn't be starting as the game is passing him by.

Original comment on this thread. 100% right when written nearly a year ago. 100% right now. The game simply passes him by- he doesn't contribute enough to be starting the amount of games he does. Armband for TBH and use jackson for 20 mins off the bench as and when his experience is needed.
    Armband for Solly
  • Options
    It's not an argument anymore. It's just so obvious. But we do need a decent cm in the window. I would play Buyens and Cousins or add JBG for a three away.

Don't let Jackos twilight years tarnish what has been an amazing career. A great man, but not at the right level now.

His supporters said that one contribution at Norwich made him invaluable and the thread went crazy.

95pc of the year he hasnt been at the races.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    We have barely any midfielders as it is. We can't afford to freeze one out.
  • Options
    Put Solly in the midfield. He was immense today
  • Options
    Was he subbed for tactical reasons today ?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Was he subbed for tactical reasons today ?

He cleared the ball and it looked like he might have tweaked his hammy.
  • Options
    Go easy on the skipper, he is still not 100% - but rather than spend Xmas and the New Year in an armchair watching TV, he rushed himself back to the job, team and club he loves.

The Brighton Captain is 34.
  • Options
    The Brighton captain is a centre halve.
  • Options
    I just had a quick look to see when this thread was started, in February, Jacksons contribution in the last third of the season was vital in our survival and slight climb up the table.

But I think this season he has been crocked and certainly not a 90 minute footballer.

Quality captain though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

rather than spend Xmas and the New Year in an armchair watching TV, he rushed himself back to the job, team and club he loves.

it's precisely this kind of woolly rhetoric that makes this debate impossible to have properly on here

he's undoubtedly an upstanding man and a passionate captain but you're creating a saccharine narrative in which he is literally infallible. in the championship he is quite obviously not infallible by any means, although he has his uses
  • Options

We have barely any midfielders as it. We can't afford to freeze one out.

I agree we don't freeze him out. We just need and imo have better. Cousins, JBG, Buyens and Solly (just going on today) are better options. There can be a role to come on in the last 10 or so. But he doesn't get special treatment and I am sure he wouldn't expect it.
  • Options
    Agree with most on here, but I feel he definitely should be on the bench.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

rather than spend Xmas and the New Year in an armchair watching TV, he rushed himself back to the job, team and club he loves.

it's precisely this kind of woolly rhetoric that makes this debate impossible to have properly on here

he's undoubtedly an upstanding man and a passionate captain but you're creating a saccharine narrative in which he is literally infallible. in the championship he is quite obviously not infallible by any means, although he has his uses
    Good post Leuth. I would also add that however great a captain he is, that doesn't mean we can afford to accommodate him if he isn't going to deliver with the football, whether that be getting a tackle in, fluid, slick passing or scoring goals. He's just not doing that at the moment
  • Options
    People criticise when he plays and I wouldn't say its unwarranted but the team clearly miss whatever he brings when he's absent.
  • Options
    He was being linked with a move to Huddersfield earlier this week according to someone on Facebook.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    JJ has enough class to make a difference as an impact sub. He doesn't have the legs to start.
  • Options
    If Liverpool can accept Steven Gerrard was going to be used more sparingly next season had he stayed around then I don't see what's any different here with us and JJ. I said at the start of the season it's clear at some point a tough decision will need to be made with JJ and that decision still hasn't happened yet.

JJ is under contract for the rest of this season and next season too? Sorry but it's time for him to take on the role of impact sub for the next season and a half. There's no doubt JJ has Charlton running through him and we need his leadership around the players but first and foremost you have to get it right on the pitch and the midfield simply needs to be Buyens, Cousins, JBG and a new left winger, we can't expect Cousins to play out on the wing just to accomodate JJ any longer, nor can we continue to play 4-5-1 to accomodate him either when it's clear we now need to go with Igor and Watt up front.
  • Options
    Agree with many. It's time the skipper starts games on the bench. The usual pattern this season has seen Jackson off the pace chasing shadows, putting in late tackles before eventually being subbed knackered. Nobody is knocking his passion or desire for the club but he looks a very old 32 year old.
  • Options
    One thing Jacko can do is take a decent corner, better than Gudmundsson's, don't know why he's been taken off corner duties. Maybe Bob hopes he'll score a header?