Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Come in No 4 your time is up! (Ed. Page 33 - Jackson signs new contract to 2023)

Comments

• Options
    Controversially bumping this here, but I didn't even notice him until he got subbed yesterday.
  • Options
    were you there, or watching on stream. He put in some blinding challenges yesterday

• Options
    Maybe people that don't understand the actual game don't notice Jacko. It's not all about Hollywood passes & shots on goal
  • Options
    cblock said:

were you there, or watching on stream. He put in some blinding challenges yesterday

I genuinely didn't see the 'blinding' challenges. @LenGlover‌ makes a good point that the glamour is always the thing that gets noticed and that means maybe I wasn't looking hard enough, but I just didn't see the contribution.

That could be that there was more of a performance from Coquelin and I noticed him a bit more. Genuinely might be in the minority from the initial reaction for posting, but I didn't see it

• Options
    fair enough
    , we all see it different
  • Options
    The modern game is about closing down not merely retaining shape. When JJ gets there the ball has gone. Without his goals it's like playing with ten men.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I know it isn't always that reliable but whoscored reckon he didn't make a tackle yesterday. Can't say I remember any either. I've generally defended him in the past but I don't think it was a good performance from him. That's not to say I wouldn't want him playing the majority of games but some on here need to take the blinkers off.
  • Options

It's not coincident that the period in the game yesterday when we went flat and not much happened was when Jackson was tiring after putting in an absolute shift! Does all the unseen stuff and does it very well! You have to specifically watch him to see all that he does! I do think sometimes when we have the ball and are looking to bring it put of defence he could make himself available more.. also bob is the third consecutive manager that has rated him highly and played him in almost every game! Fourth if you include parky who brought him to the club! They can't all be wrong??

Agree.

Didn't John Bumstead play under 7 different managers at Chelsea - same again, they can't all be wrong.
  • Options
    I'm not generally a huge defender of Jacko, but I thought he had a much better game than Cousins yesterday. Imo, on current form, it is Cousins who needs to come out of the team for a bit of a rest, assuming Jacko, Buyens and Coquelin are all available. No shame in that though, a player as young as him is due a dip in form at somepoint.
  • Options
    Give him time.
  • Options

It's not coincident that the period in the game yesterday when we went flat and not much happened was when Jackson was tiring after putting in an absolute shift! Does all the unseen stuff and does it very well! You have to specifically watch him to see all that he does! I do think sometimes when we have the ball and are looking to bring it put of defence he could make himself available more.. also bob is the third consecutive manager that has rated him highly and played him in almost every game! Fourth if you include parky who brought him to the club! They can't all be wrong??

Yes overall you would be a fool to argue that he's been nothing but class, just didn't think he was up to much yesterday.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

I know it isn't always that reliable but whoscored reckon he didn't make a tackle yesterday. Can't say I remember any either. I've generally defended him in the past but I don't think it was a good performance from him. That's not to say I wouldn't want him playing the majority of games but some on here need to take the blinkers off.

He took at least 3 Millwall players out with hard challenges in the first half,the ref had a word with him after the third.
    Maybe his critics were struggling to get their blinkers off when that happened.
  • Options

Sooner or later, Jackson's critics will be right and he will appear in the team less. But right now we are running a thin squad which has seen a big step change last summer. He hasn't just made the cut, he's the captain!
    And leadership means something out there on the field.
    We were missing leadership for too many years but it's there now with the spine of the team pretty decent.
    Bikey, Ben Haim and Jackson are running the show for now and the fact we are just twice defeated tells a story. Maybe next season there will be further changes...and they may be harsh as well as hard to execute.
    One would hope that the Pardew era would have taught us all this but still some want overnight success.

This...

Also that last sentence is very true! I'm happy with continuous improvement over a few years..
  • Options
    colin1961 said:

jackson was a passenger yesterday it was more noticeable once his protection Buyons went off .
    Plus he had two great chances that two years ago he would have got to ....
    His time is up at this level and with the Arsenal kid looking a good player he must be Jackson replacement

The 'Arsenal kid' is only here for a month, and that's the difference. Jacko has served this club, he has stuck around and given his all. That's what I hate about fickle football fans.
  • Options
    Southbank said:

colthe3rd said:

He took at least 3 Millwall players out with hard challenges in the first half,the ref had a word with him after the third.
    As I said I'm generally in the pro JJ camp but I don't think he had a good game as is shown by the marks in the player marks thread. Or is everyone else wrong?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    colthe3rd said:

Southbank said:

colthe3rd said:

As I said I'm generally in the pro JJ camp but I don't think he had a good game as is shown by the marks in the player marks thread. Or is everyone else wrong?
    I thought he had a quiet game, but then people say he did a lot of work you don't notice unless you're on the pitch. My comments were specific to this game, some of the people that have defended him have again talked about it in a more general sense. I get that and my argument wasn't aimed at his overall contribution to Charlton. It's proven to be first class.

Seems it's very difficult to focus on the performance over 90 minutes with him, sometimes it turns into a wider debate about him in general.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Jackson is a player whose contribution comes in 'moments' rather than overall flow of the game. He isn't going to be a player who strings all our possession together, nor one who takes on players with skill.

However, had that chance at the end fallen to someone like Jackson instead of George, I'm confident we would be bumping up threads about what a great captain he is right now.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    colin1961 said:

jackson was a passenger yesterday it was more noticeable once his protection Buyons went off .
    Plus he had two great chances that two years ago he would have got to ....
    His time is up at this level and with the Arsenal kid looking a good player he must be Jackson replacement

You don't like Jackson?...Why didn't you say something...
  • Options
    cabbles said:

colthe3rd said:

Southbank said:

colthe3rd said:

I thought he had a quiet game, but then people say he did a lot of work you don't notice unless you're on the pitch. My comments were specific to this game, some of the people that have defended him have again talked about it in a more general sense. I get that and my argument wasn't aimed at his overall contribution to Charlton. It's proven to be first class.

Seems it's very difficult to focus on the performance over 90 minutes with him, sometimes it turns into a wider debate about him in general.
    How did they see it then?

I don't mind people sticking up for players when they come in for unnecessary criticism but imo (and quite a few others) he was one of our worst players on Saturday.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

cabbles said:

colthe3rd said:

Southbank said:

colthe3rd said:

I don't mind people sticking up for players when they come in for unnecessary criticism but imo (and quite a few others) he was one of our worst players on Saturday.
    I too thought he had a poor game, hence the bump. I'm also of the opinion that every time I or someone raises he had a poor game, we end up talking about him from a general perspective.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

colthe3rd said:

cabbles said:

colthe3rd said:

Southbank said:

colthe3rd said:

I too thought he had a poor game, hence the bump. I'm also of the opinion that every time I or someone raises he had a poor game, we end up talking about him from a general perspective.
    I think if you bump a thread that states he is no longer required in the team (come in no 4), then it is likely to be expanding on the earlier debate regarding his place in the team, so more likely to discuss him from a general perspective.

If you thought he had a poor game, mention it in the post-match thread.
  • Options
    Ben18 said:

cabbles said:

colthe3rd said:

cabbles said:

colthe3rd said:

Southbank said:

colthe3rd said:

I think if you bump a thread that states he is no longer required in the team (come in no 4), then it is likely to be expanding on the earlier debate regarding his place in the team, so more likely to discuss him from a general perspective.

If you thought he had a poor game, mention it in the post-match thread.
    But then if I state 'Controversially bumping this here, but I didn't even notice him until he got subbed yesterday.'

I would hope people realise that I am taking into his account his overall (excellent) contribution to the club, but commenting on his performance in the Millwall game.

To be fair, could've put it in either. I don't necessarily blame people for turning it into a general debate, and I think it is more down to our @colin1961 and his passionate love of our JJ that leads people to turn it into a general debate;-)
  • Options
    Southbank said:

colthe3rd said:

Does that make him a great player? Or a yard off the pace?
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Southbank said:

colthe3rd said:

Does that make him a great player? Or a yard off the pace?
    Neither but it does mean he was involved and that he made some tackles