Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

No Pooound for the Jocks

Comments

• Options
    The SIP appear to stand for their own right to power! Before the economic crash they would happily have embraced the Euro to differentiate from London. But challenges to Euro stability and peripheral nations (PIGS) made the Euro unattractive as a political proposition. I think the movement in the polls will be interesting, especially after this announcement and the European one yesterday. Look forward to some coverage of the debate. The last programme I saw on Scotland revealed that there was no clarity whatsoever as to whether an independent Scotland was viable. I wonder if we will ever find out?
  • Options
    In the vast document the SIP produced, there was nothing proposed that the Scots Parliament could not already do - according to Portillo.

My thoughts on this issue are, if they are independent and it all goes well - fine.

BUT, what if there is economic disaster, serious financial hardship, natural disaster etc - could we really stand-by and say "oh well, cookie crumbles, etc",...or would we be bailing them out due to our previous history and association ?

Consider the independent country that is Republic of Ireland:

Bank of Ireland issues £ Sterling banknotes (with the Bushmills Distillery on the back)
    Citizens have the right to travel to/from UK without documentation

In some ways, they are not completely independent at all !
  • Options
    The bank of Ireland issues sterling notes ?
  • Options
    If they vote for independence at least we get the chance to invade again.
  • Options

Bank of Ireland issues £ Sterling banknotes (with the Bushmills Distillery on the back)
    Citizens have the right to travel to/from UK without documentation

In some ways, they are not completely independent at all !

But they are banknotes for Northern Ireland. The ROI has the euro.

• Options
    se9addick said:

The Bank of Ireland (a bank from the Republic); First Trust Bank (Owned by AIB another Republic bank); Ulster Bank (owned by RBS) and Danske Bank (A Danish Bank) all issue bank notes for Ulster. As I explained for the Scottish notes, they are not legal tender merely generally accepted and each issuing bank has to hold an equivalent amount in Sterling with the Bank Of England to back the issue. Why they bother is completely beyond me.
  • Options
    I suspect it may be a legacy of the troubles for security reasons or the politics of staunch republicans ... but that's another story.
  • Options
    Of course they can't keep the pound, it's like asking for a divorce but wanting to stay in the house and expecting dinner made for you every night.

Out is Out and I hope they have the balls to vote for it.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    PL54 said:

Of course they can't keep the pound, it's like asking for a divorce but wanting to stay in the house and expecting dinner made for you every night.

Out is Out and I hope they have the balls to vote for it.

THIS. Alex Salmond has today been found out. There is no Plan B and is acting like a kid who doesn't want to know the answer by sticking their fingers is their ears and saying "i'm not listening...".

3 independent bodies (The B of E, The IMF and the European Commission) have all said that Plan A wont work and that if the Jocks want Independence then that is what it means.

Perhaps he'll ask the Yanks if they can join the Dollar.............
  • Options
    why o why has no one stuck his ball shit statement "Scotland is all ready part of Europe " down his throat---why are the Jurnos giving him such an easy ride ----The United Kingdom is part of Europe not Scotland.

"5 million Scots wontbe dictated to" really ? but 48 million English have to !!

Vote yes vote no but just fuck off
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can't see them voting yes on Alex Salmond's brilliant scheme of 'Trust me'.

No real policies, no real clue of what's going to happen, they'd be crazy to vote for it. UK government have played a blinder removing all of SNP's plans for independence and leaving them with nothing.
  • Options
    Salmond's going to have to tell the Scottish people what an independent Scotland will use as currency and how it will work now that Stirling and The Euro have been denied them. The only problem with that is he doesn't have a scooby. No doubt he will continue to use the "don't try to bully the Scots" line in the vain hope it galvanises the yes vote but the Scots are a bit shrewder than that I think.
  • Options
    It doesn't matter which way they vote one way or the other the English will still have to pay.
  • Options
    There was a Glasgow comedian on the TV the other night he was asked about it and basically said the idea is exciting---its new---and thats a good point most of the political arguments we get these days are the same old shit spun twisted and regurgitated its turned people off for good.

As much as i think Salmon is a smarmyTwat i think overall he has played a blinder.
    +Scotland got a vote
    +He might get Devolution Max
    + a no vote he hasnt lost a thing
    + He still gets to vote on English issues
    + We still pay.
  • Options
    Or the SNP will be a party all dressed up with nowhere to go.
  • Options

Salmond's going to have to tell the Scottish people what an independent Scotland will use as currency and how it will work now that Stirling and The Euro have been denied them. The only problem with that is he doesn't have a scooby. No doubt he will continue to use the "don't try to bully the Scots" line in the vain hope it galvanises the yes vote but the Scots are a bit shrewder than that I think.

They could use pebbles
  • Options
    Whatever the outcome of the vote, the SNP will end up deep in the doo doo.

Win the yes vote, Scotland will end up skint with no currency, no growth and no subsidy from England.

Salmon will (eventually) get the blame.

With a no vote, the SNP get a big slap in the face from the Scots who realise who actually props their country up.

Salmon gets the blame.
  • Options
    I can't believe it's only now they find out they can't use our currency or stay in the EU. You'd have thought they would have established that before going to the vote.
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

I can't believe it's only now they find out they can't use our currency or stay in the EU. You'd have thought they would have established that before going to the vote.

I think it's exactly that which will make the Scots realise that Salmond and the SNP are a busted flush.

• Options
    So just over 6 months to go and Salmand finds out he hasn't got a currency to use. All this rhetoric about bullying and being compared to Kosovo re. the EU and Euro is just going to stir up bad feeling. When the bottom line is he hasn't got a clue how to establish a country let alone run one.
    But the English establishment should keep their interventions low key and leave it to the Scottish stay British campaign to score the points.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafcfan said:

se9addick said:

The Bank of Ireland (a bank from the Republic); First Trust Bank (Owned by AIB another Republic bank); Ulster Bank (owned by RBS) and Danske Bank (A Danish Bank) all issue bank notes for Ulster. As I explained for the Scottish notes, they are not legal tender merely generally accepted and each issuing bank has to hold an equivalent amount in Sterling with the Bank Of England to back the issue. Why they bother is completely beyond me.
    Seems like a reasonable advertising tool, although I don't know the costs. I wouldn't know anything about the Clydesdale Bank if they didn't issue banknotes.

Can't believe the number of people who think the statements by Osbourne, Balls, & Barroso are anything more than political statements to convince the Scots to vote no (which they will). In the unlikely event of a Yes vote, negotiations would start immediately, especially on the the EU question.
  • Options
    Why would Barroso have a dog in the race?

Negotiations aren't the point. I don't think they'd really be a problem since almost everything is already in place. The problem is that every single existing EU country has to vote in favour of Scotland joining. There is a very high risk that one of them votes against for intenral political reasons. Spain is the most obvious candidate but there are others.
  • Options
    I think everybody is missing a serious issue here with a YES vote by the Jocks..... How would we get a Curling team together for the 2018 Winter Olympics?
  • Options
    IA said:

cafcfan said:

se9addick said:

Seems like a reasonable advertising tool, although I don't know the costs. I wouldn't know anything about the Clydesdale Bank if they didn't issue banknotes.

Can't believe the number of people who think the statements by Osbourne, Balls, & Barroso are anything more than political statements to convince the Scots to vote no (which they will). In the unlikely event of a Yes vote, negotiations would start immediately, especially on the the EU question.
    Barroso's being the most political of all: the last thing the Spanish need is the Catalans thinking that setting up an independent state is easy peasy.
  • Options
    Would the Scots be in a position to help fund another "bail out" if they were in the euro ? I doubt it. Nailing your colours to the euro mast at this point would be very risky for a fledgling nation with little in the way of political or economic clout.
  • Options

Whatever the outcome of the vote, the SNP will end up deep in the doo doo.

Win the yes vote, Scotland will end up skint with no currency, no growth and no subsidy from England.

Salmon will (eventually) get the blame.

With a no vote, the SNP get a big slap in the face from the Scots who realise who actually props their country up.

Salmon gets the blame.

Actually I think the SNP can't lose. If they get a yes vote they gain power (although Salmond is unlikely to be leader and it will takes years to actually come about).
    If they vote no they blame the English for bullying them and denying them their freedom and the Scottish poeple continue to vote for the SNP to lead them and continue to compain non stop about the English.

And given that they already have new tax powers coming in next year they don't really need independence anyway.

Best of both worlds - all of the power, none of the responsibility.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    cafcfan said:

Barroso's being the most political of all: the last thing the Spanish need is the Catalans thinking that setting up an independent state is easy peasy.

Thought Barroso was Portugese.

• Options
    Riviera said:

I think everybody is missing a serious issue here with a YES vote by the Jocks..... How would we get a Curling team together for the 2018 Winter Olympics?

More to the point who would fund the Scottish Team to able to become full time athletes,

• Options
    Dansk_Red said:

Riviera said:

More to the point who would fund the Scottish Team to able to become full time athletes,

Andy Murray will have to F off home
  • Options
    Riviera said:

When it gos pear shaped up there the curling team will sudenly find they have English grand parents.