Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

No Pooound for the Jocks

123457»

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Ed Milliband seemed to be the only leader at conference time who had concrete policies and he successfully set the agenda around the cost of living that the Conservatives felt they had to respond to - which benefits the majority of us. That and deciding to vote against a motion that would have led to another war if he hadn't before then and I would say that he has probably been - over the past year - the most effective opposition leader in history.

Not that you would get a sense of that from the press!!! They still use the David, no sorry Ed cheap shot which pretty much identifies where they are coming from. Are we stupid enough to buy it? - you bet your life we are!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    David Bowie says to Scotland...... Vote No!

I've just heard this and will back it up soon.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Riviera said:

David Bowie says to Scotland...... Vote No!

I've just heard this and will back it up soon.

Indeed it is true. He made a statement in response to his award which was read out by Kate Moss and included his plea to Scotland to keep the Union.

Just heard an interview with Harry Styles, from One Direction, was asked for his opinion on Bowie's award and he said he was overwhelmed as Bowie was legend. I don't think David Bowie has produced anything worthwhile since Harry was probably -15.
  • Options
    It's getting to be squeaky bum time for the Scots. I would suggest Standard Life could be one of many.

bbc.co.uk/news/business-26362321

• Options
    But we had loads of companys saying the would close their production lines in thie country if we did not join the Euro. They are still here.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Dansk_Red said:

But we had loads of companys saying the would close their production lines in thie country if we did not join the Euro. They are still here.

The UK and what is left of it after a yes vote is a far far bigger fish than an independent Scotland though, specially one without a currency or more importantly an agreement on provision for one. It's big business covering it's arse.
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:

But that's very different. Financial services companies would tend to gravitate to where their customers are. That's because personal finance is a very conservative business and people are much more wary of investing "abroad". The vast majority of the (large) Scottish finance industry's customers are in England & Wales. Those punters could not sensibly countenance having their assets invested in a foreign country with no currency, uncertain regulation/compensation schemes and the potential for foreign withholding taxes being applied to their savings. And the Scottish Finance industry will know this - they could not survive on Scottish customers alone.
    The HQs of Standard Life, Scottish Widows, Aberdeen Asset Management, Scottish Equitable (Aegon), Tesco Personal Finance, HBOS, RBS, and TSB are all presently in Scotland but would they stay there or prefer continuing being regulated by the FCA in London? By the way since 1973 Scotland has not had its own stock exchange which might also present difficulties I suspect.
  • Options
    One assumes HMRC will also close Cumbernauld and other Scottish offices should the Scots vote 'yes.' There are other Government Departments up there too I believe.

More work for the English then in unemployment blackspots and a corresponding reduction in the social security bill.

Dream on Len!
  • Options
    Don't forget the lightning reprieve for Pompey naval base, as the ones in Scotland will be turned over to their independent navy (chuckles).

They will need it for when the Japanese and the Spanish start illegally fishing in their waters - just like they do everywhere else in the world.

Based on proposed new legislation, anyone coming over the wall (non-EU citizens) will have to prove they are earning £150 a week for 3 months in order to claim benefits.

The thing that has made the United Kingdom strong over the last 300 years is the fact that we are together.
    Some Scots "Napoleon" who thinks they can go it alone because of Whisky and Oil, whilst outside of the EU is totally deluded.

I think we all know the outcome - an overwhelming "NO" vote, with the SNP saying "well, we only wanted to get the debate out in the open, and we have achieved that regardless of the result"

Then we all go back to impatiently watching the Scottish football scores go around on Soccer Saturday, so we can see how Dartford are getting on against Welling in the proper leagues.
  • Options
    Valiantphil
    I had the pleasure of spending time on a Japanese fishing boat which was spending 3 months in South American waters and got to know the skipper and his view of Japanese fishing methods quite well.
    With the exception of occasional rogues and rare navigation issues, I'm not aware that there is any significant illegal fishing by the Japanese.
    I stand to be corrected if you have evidence to disabuse my belief!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stay around long enough on CL and you will find someone sticking up for something. Japanese fishing boats, love it...

;0)
  • Options

Stay around long enough on CL and you will find someone sticking up for something. Japanese fishing boats, love it...

;0)

We can have a whale of a time discussing it if you like ;-)
  • Options

Valiantphil
    I had the pleasure of spending time on a Japanese fishing boat which was spending 3 months in South American waters and got to know the skipper and his view of Japanese fishing methods quite well.
    With the exception of occasional rogues and rare navigation issues, I'm not aware that there is any significant illegal fishing by the Japanese.
    I stand to be corrected if you have evidence to disabuse my belief!

Here's one: there are many, many others.
    stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/4768172/Japanese-company-fined-for-fishing-in-NZ-waters

And as for their horrendous whaling fleet. At last The Australians are getting tough with them. bawp.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/whaling-case-FFC-chris_mcgrath_paper_080225.pdf
  • Options
    One boat, three years ago? As I said there are discrepancies - with a massive fleet there are bound to be, but are they significant, or worse than other countries?

I think whaling is disgraceful, but as it is a cultural difference (whalemeat is served for school dinners on special occasions for example) it isn't illegal in most waters (unless they are protected species)
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Funnily enough those boats are sister ships to the one I was on.
    I notice that it is only 'alleged' illegal fishing.
    Out of personal interest, did you find any follow up report to say the fishing was confirmed to be illegal?

PS I wouldn't believe a single report from Chinese sources normally - they detest the Japanese!
    Australians used to go wild about the Japanese at the turn of the century, but have gone pretty quiet in recent years as the Japanese cleaned up their act.

• Options
    Why is it that the Scots allow any EU and Scottish students into 'their' universities free of charge but charge English students the full £9000 p.a? Racist or what?
  • Options

Why is it that the Scots allow any EU and Scottish students into 'their' universities free of charge but charge English students the full £9000 p.a? Racist or what?

Because it's what the Scottish parliament pushed for a rule that only applies to Scotland. If your a Scottish student and want to study in England then you would have to pay £9000.

Unfortunately it's the policy that only applies to British people unless your Scottish. It's not the Scottish parliaments fault, it's westminsters.

If Scotland gain independence this will be a huge benefit for British students and Alex Salmond won't be able to disadvantage British students due to the human rights act.
  • Options

Funnily enough those boats are sister ships to the one I was on.
    I notice that it is only 'alleged' illegal fishing.
    Out of personal interest, did you find any follow up report to say the fishing was confirmed to be illegal?

PS I wouldn't believe a single report from Chinese sources normally - they detest the Japanese!
    Australians used to go wild about the Japanese at the turn of the century, but have gone pretty quiet in recent years as the Japanese cleaned up their act.

To be honest, Japan and Spain were used as illustrative examples to make the point that Scottish borders/waters will be undefended - but feel free to swap for any country you choose if it helps make the point.
  • Options

A large chunk of the debt is RBS, one of the biggest employers north of the border, they would have no choice but to shoulder some of the debt, otherwise we could just shut it down.

If they have to drop the Royal from their name, would they just become BS? ;-)

cafcfan said:

Dansk_Red said:

But that's very different. Financial services companies would tend to gravitate to where their customers are. That's because personal finance is a very conservative business and people are much more wary of investing "abroad". The vast majority of the (large) Scottish finance industry's customers are in England & Wales. Those punters could not sensibly countenance having their assets invested in a foreign country with no currency, uncertain regulation/compensation schemes and the potential for foreign withholding taxes being applied to their savings. And the Scottish Finance industry will know this - they could not survive on Scottish customers alone.
    The HQs of Standard Life, Scottish Widows, Aberdeen Asset Management, Scottish Equitable (Aegon), Tesco Personal Finance, HBOS, RBS, and TSB are all presently in Scotland but would they stay there or prefer continuing being regulated by the FCA in London? By the way since 1973 Scotland has not had its own stock exchange which might also present difficulties I suspect.
    As Scottish widows, HBoS, TSB & RBS (there maybe more in that list) are currently owned by or part owned by the UK government, would they not then be part owned by the Scottish Government? :P What very strange waters we sail in.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No, your point is valid of course - I was only interested if my jaundiced view of the world was wrong (yet again!)
    I mean I'm with Frankie Boyle in believing Banoffee pie was a Scottish dish from the town of Banoffee!
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

It's getting to be squeaky bum time for the Scots. I would suggest Standard Life could be one of many.

• Options
    DiscoCAFC said:

Because it's what the Scottish parliament pushed for a rule that only applies to Scotland. If your a Scottish student and want to study in England then you would have to pay £9000.

Unfortunately it's the policy that only applies to British people unless your Scottish. It's not the Scottish parliaments fault, it's westminsters.

If Scotland gain independence this will be a huge benefit for British students and Alex Salmond won't be able to disadvantage British students due to the human rights act.
    It is the Scottish parliaments 'fault' As they adopted the policy knowing it would drive a wedge between Scotland and England (plus Wales and N.Ireland) But most importantly between Scotland and Westminster, the home of the (dis)UK Parliament.
    It's also the 'fault' of Tony Blair's Labour government for granting devolution to everyone in the (dis)UK except the English.
    It's also the 'fault' of the current Government for it's failure to address the lop-sided, unfair, un-democratic policy of devolution that disadvantages England.
  • Options
    The student loans company is based in Glasgow and no doubt employs a number of people there. Isn't this a little bit off? This is where I send my forms and my repayments. So not only do Scottish people get their own university education for free, but they also profit from the fact that English people don't.
  • Options
    Stig said:

cafcfan said:

So, apparently, "There's only one David Nish" is not something that can be chanted!
  • Options
    Chunes said:

The student loans company is based in Glasgow and no doubt employs a number of people there. Isn't this a little bit off? This is where I send my forms and my repayments. So not only do Scottish people get their own university education for free, but they also profit from the fact that English people don't.

So, do the loans only cover fees or do we get free living expenses too?

I might go back to uni.