Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Diego Poyet's contract situation **DieGONE - Signs for West Ham)**

Comments

• Options
    "we are begging a little bit that he will re-sign"
  • Options
    I'm sure we will beg if it will help
  • Options
    As the Temptations sang " Ain't too proud to beg"
  • Options
    Again i think that's another case of mixing his words up. If not then that don't sit well with me. No player is bigger than the club
  • Options

J BLOCK said:

Can't believe he said we are begging Poyet to sign

Did he use those words?
    Begging yes
  • Options
    Could've been a joke? Or a foreign manager misusing words slightly.

Doubt we're literally begging him to sign.
  • Options
    And we suddenly know what heaven we're in
    When they begin the begging

• Options

As the Temptations sang " Ain't too proud to beg"

And TLC featuring the late Lisa 'Left Eye' Lopez

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Ive heard a rumour that we've now received a satisfactory bid, that involves a loan back to us for a year so Diego can carry on his development. Seems a reasonable compromise.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2014
    I believe the word "begging" was used as a figure of speech. A way of emphasising how much CAFC would like Diego to sign. Of course, Roland Duchatelet and Bob Peeters will be explaining to Diego; why they want him to sign, sharing visions for the club, how he will fit into the first team picture and so on.

I think the word 'begging' was used flippantly.
  • Options
    cheers for that paulsturgess.

I have always thought he would stay as he seems a nice kid and will recognise that a) we need the money and b) the excellent role we have played in developing him.

I also reckon with the tweets he gets from fans and through him reading this forum, he will know how we would feel if he left us in the lurch, however much it is also the fault of the previous chuckle brothers.

Maybe I am niave, but that is my view on it.
  • Options

I met Gus today who was doing Holland Chile on the Copacobana for ITV. Had a very brief chat with him about it - he was a proper gent and very obliging. When I asked if Diego was gonna be staying at Charlton his words were, to quote as directly as I possibly can from memory:

Gus - 'I think there is a big chance you know, a big chance. But I am not sure as there are a lot of things going on at the club in the background you know....'

Me - 'Yeh that's it, the manager keeps changing. But he's been absolute class we love him to bits and we really want him to stay to give us a bit of continuity.'

Gus - 'well yeh why they get rid of Powell, he was doing a good job?'

Me - 'I know I was gutted about that, and he gave Diego his debut didn't he.'

Gus - 'yeh so we will see but I think there is a big chance, he's been there a long time you know but there is a new manager so we will see.'

Not particularly enlightening but gave me genuine hope - he put a real emphasis on the 'big chance' which actually felt to me as if it was more likely than not; but they are clearly still considering his options. I was resigned to losing him so feel marginally more positive now. Also added to my negative feelings about Roland though. I am a huge Powell advocate so biased in that respect but it certainly seemed that Gus was intimating that both managerial changes had been very unsettling - perhaps Diego may well have signed a new deal some time ago if one or both of these changes hadn't occurred. Perhaps he could have been using that as an easy excuse under question from a pathetically desperate Charlton fan, but I think he was very shocked to bump into one and wasn't anticipating the question about Diego at all (my mates a Chelsea fan so we had just been discussing that, plus Uruguay England), so I felt like what he said, whilst open-ended, was instinctive rather than a generic prepared response.

No disrespect, but if a 18 year old player's feelings have to be considered when changing a manager (especially when we are bottom of the league and on a run of 3 points from the last 6 league games) then we might as well give up now.

Did you think to ask Gus how he would feel if his job security was to be determined by a 18 year old that had started a total of 4 league games?

If that isn't an excuse to leave and chase the money/glory after being with us for nine years then I don't know what is.

Don't get me wrong, I would love him to stay and I appreciate that he doesn't have to be grateful that we are offering him a contract, but there is no need to insult our intelligence.
    I think the point PS was making was that changing the manager in the way it happened can have an unsettling affect on players generally, with Diego being the example here. Not that a club should make the decisions based on one youngster's opinion.

Anyway move on.
  • Options
    Some of us are glad you did! Cheers!
  • Options
    KM was pretty clear back in April that Poyet Jnr's decision would be as much about the manager and the team building as the money.

I still reckon he will stay but the failure to tie him down to a longer deal remains a huge error which be laid at the door of the old regime. He would have come a bit cheaper then.

Thanks for the info Paulsturgess.

KHA, I think you've taken what PS said very much out of context. I read it as saying it was a factor for Diego not that it was or should be a factor for the Club.
  • Options
    Correct Henry. Was just reporting what gus said and that was part of it. And on the whole I think it's perfectly reasonable for any player to take into consideration the managerial incumbent and future stability of the club when considering their own future so I don't think it's fair to criticise Diego because he might have concerns about it.
  • Options
    Cheers ps. Nice one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks, Paul S.

Presume you're there for the WC, not a resident so hope your trip has been a good one, England performances excepted.
  • Options
    Come on Diego sign - give us something to smile/not bicker about.
  • Options
    KM says a lot of things. Doesn't mean they're all true.
  • Options
    Thanks PS - very useful insight.

We are 6 days from his current contract expiring. If it was a foregone conclusion (i.e. he had decided for certain) that he was not going to sign a new one then I believe this would have been communicated in the public domain to inform other clubs of his impending availability. Indeed I would have expected at the very least for him to inform Charlton of his intentions. This would clearly appear not to be the case from what BP said yesterday.

Technically as an in-contract player other clubs would have needed consent from us to approach him but the reality is that this wouldn't have been enforced - for what purpose anyway? But even if they couldn't 'tap him up' before his contract expires other clubs could have lined up their ducks.

Also, from what BP said, the offer he has is a full and final offer ('done all we can' was the phrase used I seem to recall) so there would be little point in delaying any decision to leave. My view (hope really) is that Diego has been toying with us and smiling as he has seen this thread developing and that he will sign a new deal - hopefully more than a year.
  • Options

Correct Henry. Was just reporting what gus said and that was part of it. And on the whole I think it's perfectly reasonable for any player to take into consideration the managerial incumbent and future stability of the club when considering their own future so I don't think it's fair to criticise Diego because he might have concerns about it.

Sorry you misunderstood the tone of my post. I wasn't expecting you to have a go at Gus I just thought he was deflecting from the fact that his son might choose to leave. I appreciate that KM said he was not as bothered by the money (not sure I totally believe it, but I was aware she said it). The other factors are, I believe, to do with other clubs and what they have to offer - financially, socially, in terms of facilities and opportunities. There is no doubt that if he was going to be guaranteed a first team place at Chelsea he would go - I'd be disappointed in him if he didn't.

I just think that it is a very easy way for Gus to deflect, and I am a little fed up of players (ours and others) that leave clubs on free transfers, take advantage of a massive, massive pay rise and then try to convince the world that it's not about the money or the new club, it's because of what happened at the old club.

To be honest, Kermorgant was just the same. He left, took a pay rise (by all accounts) then he did a newspaper story to let the fans know that it was all the club's fault that he left. I don't mind players chasing the money. Irrespective as to if they have a family to support or not, they are entitled to go where ever they can get what's best for them. I would just like it if they would be honest about their decision.

If Gus had said to you that he might stay but there is a lot to consider, after all there are great opportunities available to him, and he might not get them again then fair enough. But to go out of his way to tell you that he is worried about the fact that Powell was doing a great job and was sacked and that is a consideration just looks like an excuse to me.

Maybe they're all telling the truth. Maybe if Powell was still here he would have already signed a four year deal. Maybe not!

Either PS I wasn't having a go at you, and I do appreciate you sharing.
  • Options

Absolutely but I wasn't saying it was 100% true. Also she was relaying her take on DP's reasoning. Maybe DP was lying to KM?

What I thought was interesting was that it would have been easy to say "we want to keep him but he wants loadsamoney/to play in the prem" and no one would have been surprised.

So with what PS said I lean towards believing that what KM said was an honest reflection of what DP was thinking at the time.

Things may have changed, he may or may not like Peeters more or less than Riga, maybe he's been offered £1m a week to start for Man City.

• Options
    Thanks for sharing your conversation with Gus Poyet. And I hope you enjoy however long you are out there in Brazil for.
  • Options
    Appreciate you sharing this conversation, @paulsturgess. Rings true for me - it is a very big decision for Diego, so how comfortable he feels about the management and future direction at Charlton is likely to be a big part of that. Let's hope he clicks with Bob and signs up - it would be fantastic news, not just because we get to keep an excellent player, but because it will show that a player who has been at this club for a long time feels positive about that future direction.
  • Options

Absolutely but I wasn't saying it was 100% true. Also she was relaying her take on DP's reasoning. Maybe DP was lying to KM?

What I thought was interesting was that it would have been easy to say "we want to keep him but he wants loadsamoney/to play in the prem" and no one would have been surprised.

So with what PS said I lean towards believing that what KM said was an honest reflection of what DP was thinking at the time.

Things may have changed, he may or may not like Peeters more or less than Riga, maybe he's been offered £1m a week to start for Man City.

It would also have made it more difficult to get him to sign if she'd come out with this, and it might have done damage to his reputation both with us (our fans) and the club he went to.

We have plenty of posts on the COG thread about him only coming for the money and how we don't like it. No one from the club (with half a brain) would marginalise a player by calling him greedy, publically.
  • Options

I met Gus today who was doing Holland Chile on the Copacobana for ITV. Had a very brief chat with him about it - he was a proper gent and very obliging. When I asked if Diego was gonna be staying at Charlton his words were, to quote as directly as I possibly can from memory:

Gus - 'I think there is a big chance you know, a big chance. But I am not sure as there are a lot of things going on at the club in the background you know....'

Me - 'Yeh that's it, the manager keeps changing. But he's been absolute class we love him to bits and we really want him to stay to give us a bit of continuity.'

Gus - 'well yeh why they get rid of Powell, he was doing a good job?'

Me - 'I know I was gutted about that, and he gave Diego his debut didn't he.'

Gus - 'yeh so we will see but I think there is a big chance, he's been there a long time you know but there is a new manager so we will see.'

Not particularly enlightening but gave me genuine hope - he put a real emphasis on the 'big chance' which actually felt to me as if it was more likely than not; but they are clearly still considering his options. I was resigned to losing him so feel marginally more positive now. Also added to my negative feelings about Roland though. I am a huge Powell advocate so biased in that respect but it certainly seemed that Gus was intimating that both managerial changes had been very unsettling - perhaps Diego may well have signed a new deal some time ago if one or both of these changes hadn't occurred. Perhaps he could have been using that as an easy excuse under question from a pathetically desperate Charlton fan, but I think he was very shocked to bump into one and wasn't anticipating the question about Diego at all (my mates a Chelsea fan so we had just been discussing that, plus Uruguay England), so I felt like what he said, whilst open-ended, was instinctive rather than a generic prepared response.

SOURCE?!

:)