Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Southeastern train disruption (franchise to be taken over by Govt p191)

Comments

• Options
    Rizzo said:
    Oh look. Tonight's fucked too!

There’s delays building up as well. I’ve just left the 15:54 from Lewisham. Only a few minutes late but looks like it’s brewing up a shit show 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Rizzo said:
    It feels like caving in to the bastards but I've just booked the day off. Cramming into one of their cattle trucks is bad enough in normal circumstances but in such extreme temperatures and with half the trains not even running it would not surprise me if people actually die on the train tomorrow. Fuck that!
    This was the point I was making yesterday. If you don't have to travel, then it's best avoided.
    There are record temperatures forecast tomorrow of 102F.
    It could make today seem positively cool and it may be a nightmare getting home, if you can get home.
    Best of luck to all that have to negotiate.
    I'm not defending the train companies, just trying to be helpful.
  • Options
    Riviera said:
    We've had hot weather in the past and I do not recall this type of pathetic management before. 
    Thursday could be the hottest day ever recorded in the UK, with temperatures likely to reach 39C (102.2F), the Met Office says. The current all-time record is 38.5C (101.3F), logged in Faversham in August 2003. There is now a 60% chancetemperatures will soar above this on Thursday, according to the Met Office.6 hours ago
  • Options
    Rizzo said:
    It feels like caving in to the bastards but I've just booked the day off. Cramming into one of their cattle trucks is bad enough in normal circumstances but in such extreme temperatures and with half the trains not even running it would not surprise me if people actually die on the train tomorrow. Fuck that!
    This was the point I was making yesterday. If you don't have to travel, then it's best avoided.
    It could make today seem positively cool and it may be a nightmare getting home, if you can get home.
    I'm in the fortunate position that my boss agreed to me taking the day off on about 4 hours notice. Many employers will not do that. I have had to give up a days holiday for this and it's not because of the weather. It's because Southeastern Trains have cancelled most of the evening peak services tomorrow. If they were running a 'normal' service I would be going to work as normal.
  • Options
    Rizzo said:
    Oh look. Tonight's fucked too!

Stop moaning.

There’s quite a breeze out there, what do you expect them to do?
  • Options
    Rizzo said:
    Rizzo said:
    I'm in the fortunate position that my boss agreed to me taking the day off on about 4 hours notice. Many employers will not do that. I have had to give up a days holiday for this and it's not because of the weather. It's because Southeastern Trains have cancelled most of the evening peak services tomorrow. If they were running a 'normal' service I would be going to work as normal.
    Is it better they cancel the trains or let them run on the hottest day ever in the UK and run the risk of tens of thousands stuck on broken down trains, with perhaps no water ?

A tough call for them on this occasion.
    We can agree that the service should have improved and is piss poor, but that doesn't alter the fact that a difficult decision had to be made about tomorrow's RECORD BREAKING temperatures (expected).

I think if there is risk to lives, even minimal, then you must choose the safest option.
  • Options
    I was only 6 at the time, and my Dad is no longer around to ask, however during that famed long hot summer of 1976 did British Rail do what Southeastern are doing ?

Anyone on here old enough to recall ?
  • Options
    Got the 3.24 home and the twats had it as 6 carriages instead of 10. So by Lewisham nobody could get on, people we already rammed in. It was obvious some people would leave earlier. Fucking useless.
  • Options
    Ironic that Chris Grayling gets sacked the day before this debacle!!! 
  • Options
    I was only 6 at the time, and my Dad is no longer around to ask, however during that famed long hot summer of 1976 did British Rail do what Southeastern are doing ?

Anyone on here old enough to recall ?
    I worked in the City in 76 and I remember very sweaty journeys coming home, but don’t recall any particular problems with the trains.

Then again, problematical was the norm with British Rail in those days. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Didn't have continuously welded rail rail then , 20 yard lengths that had expansion gaps which closed up when they expanded in the heat. It was the good old days when you could sit down, open a window and blow your fag smoke out. You could then avoid trying to look out throught brake dust engrained filthy windows hopefu
    Ly finding a sexy mag stuffed down the side of the seat. You had no chance if you were stuck upstairs on the double decker though.  Thats if they weren't  on strike and you somehow had to get into the City from the Medway towwns.  Remember,  Network Rail, state owned, are responsible for the Track,  South Eastern try and run trains down it.
  • Options
    Bastards, utter incompetent bastards. 4 coaches instead of 8 and delayed by the famous "earlier stopping train". On the hottest day so far. Bastards.
  • Options
    I've passed out on a packed train from heat and exhaustion before (and I'm young and fit). Its not fun at all. Stay safe tomorrow everyone. 

I'm sunning myself in Italy. Casual 37 every day so far but then I have a pool or the sea to jump in and incredibly efficient air con.
  • Options

Hundreds of Eurostar passengers have been evacuated from a London-bound train in sweltering heat following a power failure.

Passengers were left stranded by the side of the tracks after the overhead power supply failed on the line in Belgium.

Passengers were left waiting by the side of the tracks for up to two hours for a rescue train to arrive and take them to safety.

Around 700 passengers were on the 10.56 Brussels - London service when the power failed at around 11am, shortly after the train left the Belgian capital.

"We are being held in a tunnel. Babies are ill, people are fainting.

"We were promised a rescue train. It’s been two hours. Where is it? This is very unsafe. Legal action ahead."

Eurostar said they had been forced to cancel four trains today due to the power outage.

• Options
    Didn't have continuously welded rail rail then , 20 yard lengths that had expansion gaps which closed up when they expanded in the heat. 
    Sounds like a perfect solution.
    What genius changed it?
  • Options
    They are heated or stretched so that they are clipped to the track in an expanded form. This allows for a normal hot day not to affect them. We are facing a record breaking extreme day on thursday hence the problem. Doesn't  explain the 4 coaches instead of 8, 10, or 12 though
  • Options
    got in this morning absolutely fine train emptier than usual - suspect that will not be the case later on 
  • Options
    got in this morning absolutely fine train emptier than usual - suspect that will not be the case later on 
    I’m going to just enjoy the journey in, we’re just leaving eltham and there is loads of seats still available!

• Options
    edited July 2019
    The 6:50ish from Lee was quite busy, now on a train to Portsmouth, empty and great air con.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Didn't have continuously welded rail rail then , 20 yard lengths that had expansion gaps which closed up when they expanded in the heat. It was the good old days when you could sit down, open a window and blow your fag smoke out. You could then avoid trying to look out throught brake dust engrained filthy windows hopefu
    Ly finding a sexy mag stuffed down the side of the seat. You had no chance if you were stuck upstairs on the double decker though.  Thats if they weren't  on strike and you somehow had to get into the City from the Medway towwns.  Remember,  Network Rail, state owned, are responsible for the Track,  South Eastern try and run trains down it.
    Great knowledge - proper Charlton - thinking about it the trains today don't go ' clickety clack clickety clack' over the rails like they did in the past 
  • Options
    My train is fairly empty when it would be standing room only. Seems they’ve scared people off / given them a viable excuse to wfh.

they gave everyone a fan at Sidcup station this morning
  • Options
    The problem will be when they start cancelling the home journey trains  - hi speed trains on the hour already cancelled to Rochester - 

That old work from home scenario 😄
  • Options
    My train pulled into elmstead woods a minute early. Southeastern have got form for this. Threaten a reduced service when there’s a bit of adverse weather then run a better than normal service.
  • Options
    Hither Green rail crash 1967 - 49 people died - reason we have continuously welded rails now

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hither_Green_rail_crash
  • Options
    My train is fairly empty when it would be standing room only. Seems they’ve scared people off / given them a viable excuse to wfh.

they gave everyone a fan at Sidcup station this morning
    Does he just follow you around cheering you on ?
    Just my luck, a Palace Ultra. Story of my disappointing life
    More likely singing 'You're not fit to wear the shirt'
  • Options
    Just got on train out of CX to Dartford - warning to all yet to travel - the train is fucking hot - even the breeze through the window is warm - might swap to a thames link at LB as they have air conditioning
  • Options
    Going assume by the silence that the trains were fine post work?