Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Southeastern train disruption (franchise to be taken over by Govt p191)

Comments

• Options
    they have a monopoly aswell as its not as if i can pick a different train company to use. 
  • Options
    I'm fcuking fuming over this. Can't run trains when it's hot. Can't run trains when it's cold. When the fcuk can you run trains, you utter cnuts?
  • Options
    Rizzo said:
    I'm fcuking fuming over this. Can't run trains when it's hot. Can't run trains when it's cold. When the fcuk can you run trains, you utter cnuts?
    3 little bears....
  • Options
    It's utterly ridiculous, and will put a strain on everything else like the DLR etc. 
  • Options
    is Alan Partridge in charge of there website

When the temperature soars, things really heat up for our rail infrastructure – and it can’t cool down with a cheeky pint or an ice cream at the beach. Metal rails in direct sunshine can be as much as 20°C hotter than air temperature, and have been known to get as hot as 51°C! And because they’re made from steel – they expand when they heat up, so rails may buckle, and points can expand.

also 9.30am and we do not know what services are running tomorrow - helpful 

steel expands at 0.6% at a 84 degree temperature rise 
  • Options
    or have southeastern decided that a lot of there drivers and staff would like a day off 
  • Options
    as if the temps are so hot surely they could be done for working conditions by drivers etc
  • Options
    We've had hot weather in the past and I do not recall this type of pathetic management before. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That statement from Southeastern is a total fucking disgrace. What happens if we have more hot days; “take the week off”?

Its pathetic. 
  • Options
    southern - may experience delays due to speed restrictions 
    south western - no mass cancellation or delays expected

so south eastern must have chocolate tracks - they really are the pits. 

the winter they cannot cope if the temp drops below 8 degrees
    the thing we are experiencing now is called SUMMER
    Nothing to do with Chocolate tracks, just simple facts relating to temperatures. The South East could hit 35c plus tomorrow hence the warnings from Southern & South Eastern

Temps in the South West are showing 24c at best so no reason for any warnings.

• Options
    Absolute fucking joke. This is the departure board for tomorrow afternoon at Cannon St:

• Options
    Trains in the morning all look fine. Its getting home. Charing Cross to Bexleyheath have cancelled all their 24 past the hour trains, only running 1 an hour home at 54. 
  • Options
    southern - may experience delays due to speed restrictions 
    south western - no mass cancellation or delays expected

so south eastern must have chocolate tracks - they really are the pits. 

the winter they cannot cope if the temp drops below 8 degrees
    the thing we are experiencing now is called SUMMER
    Nothing to do with Chocolate tracks, just simple facts relating to temperatures. The South East could hit 35c plus tomorrow hence the warnings from Southern & South Eastern

Temps in the South West are showing 24c at best so no reason for any warnings.

do south western railway trains not go into waterloo? 
  • Options

It's absolutely diabolical that they're allowed to get away with this.

We advise you not to travel is unacceptable. 

The excuse that people can work from home is a complete cop out.

My niece is a pediatric nurse at Guys.  How the f*** is she supposed to work from home FFS?

Sounds like your niece needs to be more forward thinking and pro-active about her job

Cant the patients get to her for example?

No doubt thats what the decision makers at SouthEastern would say
  • Options

It's absolutely diabolical that they're allowed to get away with this.

We advise you not to travel is unacceptable. 

The excuse that people can work from home is a complete cop out.

My niece is a pediatric nurse at Guys.  How the f*** is she supposed to work from home FFS?

I think the patients she looks after are going to have to be a little patient. 
  • Options
    If rail temperatures reach 54 degrees, it basically cripples the network. I've just sat in a Network Rail meeting at Euston planning for tomorrow, it's not looking good!

This week we've already reached 52.

Due to the nature of Network Rail having to pay out delay minutes to Private TOC's if they can't provide a network its better to preempt the temperature rise and enforce speed limits early.

The last timetable change was such a monumental fuck up that there is now very little delay contingency managed in which is why when we have a little delay somewhere, it messes up the entire day. It's farcical.

This doesn't take away from South Eastern being charaltans, just putting some context there for you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ah so that's why country's with regular hot weather don't have train networks....Oh wait! 
  • Options
    DRAddick said:
    Ah so that's why country's with regular hot weather don't have train networks....Oh wait! 
    The difference is the extremes, those "hot countries" you refer to don't usually have winters that drop to negative temperatures. So it's more consistent. 
  • Options
    glad I no longer commute by train
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    DRAddick said:
    The difference is the extremes, those "hot countries" you refer to don't usually have winters that drop to negative temperatures. So it's more consistent. 
    Our extremes aren't that bad. We certainly don't get that cold in reality. I was in Berlin a few years ago when they had an extreme weather warning for 45 degrees.  Berlin is also colder and has more snow during the winter than Southern England. Funnily enough, their train system didn't go up the spout when it got very hot.
  • Options
    DRAddick said:
    New York, Moscow, Berlin. All regularly have greater fluctuations in temperatures than us. And there are many many more. I wonder if their rail operators give up trying to run a service the day before forecast snow, wind or hot weather like ours do.

Truth is we rarely have if "that cold" or "that hot". 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Off_it said:
    DRAddick said:
    New York, Moscow, Berlin. All regularly have greater fluctuations in temperatures than us. And there are many many more. I wonder if their rail operators give up trying to run a service the day before forecast snow, wind or hot weather like ours do.

Truth is we rarely have if "that cold" or "that hot". 

Indeed, I was just looking up a few! Half of Europe have hotter summers and colder winters. Warsaw, Budapest, Prague, Frankfurt, Vienna & Zurich all have hotter Julys and Augusts. It doesn't hold as an excuse here.

• Options
    If rail temperatures reach 54 degrees, it basically cripples the network. I've just sat in a Network Rail meeting at Euston planning for tomorrow, it's not looking good!

This week we've already reached 52.

Due to the nature of Network Rail having to pay out delay minutes to Private TOC's if they can't provide a network its better to preempt the temperature rise and enforce speed limits early.

The last timetable change was such a monumental fuck up that there is now very little delay contingency managed in which is why when we have a little delay somewhere, it messes up the entire day. It's farcical.

This doesn't take away from South Eastern being charaltans, just putting some context there for you.
    So are the few working trains tomorrow still going to be fucked?
  • Options
    It feels like caving in to the bastards but I've just booked the day off. Cramming into one of their cattle trucks is bad enough in normal circumstances but in such extreme temperatures and with half the trains not even running it would not surprise me if people actually die on the train tomorrow. Fuck that!
  • Options
    if delaying and cancelling trains wasn't such a regular occurrence people wouldn't be as pissed but we are constantly fucked around no matter what the weather it is something you then have there long winded delay repay scheme to claim pittance. 
  • Options
    Oh look. Tonight's fucked too!