Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Article: Trying to square up the Circle of Discontent

Comments

• Options
    Repeating my comments on the original posting.

I like the idea of a Duchatalet tournament, not sure about the 45 minute race but that maybe a translation issue.

I think the sale of SL was all about the right offer and that has not been received, plus events on the pitch have reduced the fans ire.

Not sure if the players are too interested in a get to know you get together that's more from RD's corporate background
    dominiek said:

Meanwhile, Roland Duchâtelet already owns six professional football clubs in various European leagues . On 5 and 6 July , he wants his clubs together in Sint - Truiden for a tournament . " For the network teams Duchâtelet sir , this is a chance to get to know each other better," says co-organizer Peter Onkelinx in the Newspaper.

Duchâtelet is no longer directly to the helm at Sint -Truiden , but he certainly still have word to say in the Limburg club . Using his wife Marieke Höfte

This summer, there must be at Stayen a new stand and stand to dedicate in the wealthy businessman tournament in mind among six clubs : Standard , Sint - Truiden , Ujpest ( Hungary ) , Charlton ( English second division ) , Carl Zeiss Jena (German fourth class ) and Alcorcon (Spanish second division ) .

"This is a great initiative ," said Peter Onkelinx , who is site manager at Stayen . Besides a football sa fact Stayen includes a shopping mall , a hotel, apartments and numerous other facilities .

"On Saturday the teams will except Sint -Truiden , with each race finishing 45 minutes . Winner will play a charity match on Sunday against Sint - Truiden . "

" For the network teams of Mr. Duchâtelet is the opportunity to get to know each other better. It is also ideal to give them some . Supporters together , we are still looking for some business partners and possibly TV stations to broadcast the matches from . "

What about the sale of Standard ?
    What the tournament means to the position of Duchâtelet at Standard is unclear . He had announced last summer to sell after the fans had turned against him Liege club but now Duchâtelet already preparing for the upcoming season of Standard

• Options
    NugNug
    edited April 2014
  • Options
    More to it for me NLA, although I agree wholeheartedly with all that Weegie says. I was part of the Anti-Apartheid movement, it got pretty rough at times, but I believed in it passionately. People were dying for no reason other than the colour of their skin. Way back in the 60's, I would never have believed that Nelson Mandela would have his statue in Parliament Square, and the idea that there would be black managers in football was inconceivable. I was just so proud of Charlton and its anti racist history and absolutely thrilled to have Chrissy and Alex in charge. Now I do understand that's not an acceptable footballing reason, but nevertheless, for me, it was still important.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    too boring to bother having arguments over - deleted, like CP
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    also too boring a subject, CP gone, no point discussing.
  • Options
    jesus i wish this season would just feck off.
  • Options
    not sure starting a sticky thread like this helps at this stage of the season, ill judged at best.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

If anyone is looking for "their Charlton" then the fact that five out of the top six player marks vs Wednesday were academy players might help. I will always remember the team in the 90s with young players coming through, many of them going on to u21 international status and full honours.
    Respect to Powell and Curbishley before him and Lawrence before that and the late Jimmy Seed. But with respect it's all bollocks if you put any one player or coach above the badge.

The club is getting 1.4 points a game now or a 50% increase on the 30 games before. There is no rational argument to suggest that the current strategy is at fault. So people use emotional manipulation instead.

Season ticket boycotts, war councils in pubs and pathetic attempts to discredit the new owner which time and time again are shown to be baseless spin!
    The only thing the fans need to do is back the lads tomorrow and Tuesday - not least to save us all having to go to Blackpool next Saturday!

No regrets abouts the past and no need to fear the future... Let us be fully alive for today's match and of course Tuesday. Enjoy the present, the here and now.

Really?
  • Options
    SA as a believer that all are equal except palace Millwank cov and Leeds fans I understand that view point

It was a thing to be proud of and still be proud of but it was never a reason to not be led by results

And ultimately the players and mgmt staff top and bottom of the club led us to results that were shit enough that the mgr was removed

I can't believe if we had been higher in the league powelly wouldn't still be here

But I can't have it that men are saying things like welling up here

Distraut etc etc

You may feel it pain you a bit but come on it's a bit soft ain't it
  • Options

for anyone interested in the company relaying our hallowed turf its

http://www.tgms.co.uk/253--sports-pitch-construction-drainage-projects.htm

as stated above their is a proposal document on the greenwich website but that website is awful (quelle bon surprise) and none of us can get a link to work to the relevant page. just go to planning search and enter "charlton athletic" that worked for me.

Just for the sake of clarity, as I understand it the actual contractors doing the work are this lot: premierpitches.com/

TGMS are the guys who created the technical spec and I suppose are a bit like the sports pitch equivalent of a firm of architects.
  • Options
    Post your analysis grapevine
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Seconded, there would be many of us who would love to read that
  • Options
    What an excellent post by Grapevine. Breaking it down on a more level here, why would anyone, invest the money RD has, without wanting to make it work. I know people are in 'the wait and see camp', but survival plus the investment RD has stumped up puts me in the pro RD camp.
  • Options
    Another excellent summary from Grapevine.

G49 v G21
  • Options
    A hard hitting dose of reality from grapevine. Excellent summary.
  • Options
    Grapevine

You are the daddy when it comes to posting things that everyone should listen too

What a fantastic post I am envious of your manor and how you write

Your summary is one that I totally agree with

Thank you pal

I think it's an amazing post

I doff my cap and raise you a glass

If greenie Jr wants a tattoo real bad then it should say

G49 is the daddy
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

stonemuse said:

Seconded, there would be many of us who would love to read that
    Thirded.

• Options
    the equivalent Grapevine 49 on the Smallwall Board has just posted to quote

PonySpotter21 " dems is all c++ts we done em in it"

• Options
    Selling Kermorgant and Stephens was a massive risk. RD got lucky. Fair play I guess-business involves risk. Not sure it was that well calculated though. Also can't help feeling YK and DS would've both thrived under Riga's style of play. Look at how impressive Deeney was last night playing in an attacking expansive side- a player who, although not quite the same as YK showed a number of similar strengths in his all round game.

Let's hope PP comes good.

All in all RD seems like good news to me, but he's not beyond criticism.

• Options
    I wish I could post like Grapevine. I don't blame him for not posting his business analysis draft on here as it would get torn to shreds by the usual suspects.
  • Options

If anyone is looking for "their Charlton" then the fact that five out of the top six player marks vs Wednesday were academy players might help. I will always remember the team in the 90s with young players coming through, many of them going on to u21 international status and full honours.
    Respect to Powell and Curbishley before him and Lawrence before that and the late Jimmy Seed. But with respect it's all bollocks if you put any one player or coach above the badge.

The club is getting 1.4 points a game now or a 50% increase on the 30 games before. There is no rational argument to suggest that the current strategy is at fault. So people use emotional manipulation instead.

Season ticket boycotts, war councils in pubs and pathetic attempts to discredit the new owner which time and time again are shown to be baseless spin!
    The only thing the fans need to do is back the lads tomorrow and Tuesday - not least to save us all having to go to Blackpool next Saturday!

No regrets abouts the past and no need to fear the future... Let us be fully alive for today's match and of course Tuesday. Enjoy the present, the here and now.

Really?
    Yes Steve... Really enjoyed last night with no fear... And I am 100% confident that Duchatelet is not out to destroy value when he started and over the summer coming up. No idea whether they can retain the best players but we will know soon enough. Current form suggests next season will be more fun than this one!

• Options

Dear Mr 49, or may I call you Grapevine, warmest thanks for a superlative post.

Please please do not deprive us of your business analysis. When a club such as Bournemouth (lil ol'?) posts a loss of £15.3 million then it is quite clear that football, which long ago ceased to be a sport, can now no longer call itself a business - or a trade, an industry, a profession - but has entered some twilight fantasy world entirely of its own. Insights such as yours are desperately needed to make sense of what little "normality" still remains, and specifically how things can develop within Roland's Six-pack.

I am certain RD knew from the outset that in CAFC he was getting something very special for an absolute song. (Say, how does Fulham's new owner think about the value he got for the $300 million he reportedly paid Al-Fayed ? ) He was prepared to get involved where the hard-nosed carpetbaggers from Philadelphia feared to tread. At 67 the Network is his project for his senior years, and Charlton will undoubtedly be the apple of his eye. Fascinating times and better days ahead.

• Options
    Specifically I would love to know if Grapevine can point to a way in which CAFC can break even - and have a competitive squad - as a standalone entity in this league. All the Trust work indicates that it is pretty much impossible due to the imbalances caused by the parachute payments. Yes of course there is the strategy whereby you cover losses by selling young players, however that still implies you can and do sell a young player each season for about 4m. And then still have a squad which can eventually gain promotion.

Various of us have been through all that ad nauseam both here and on the Trust site. And perhaps Grapevine believes that we are all missing various key points. So we would love to be corrected. I do not think anyone is capable of 'tearing to shreds' an analysis from Grapevine, nor can I think of any reason why anyone would wish to.
  • Options
    Grapevine, I think you are correct in your overall summary, but I would make a couple of points.

If the new regime doesn't want rumour, leaks and speculation, then it's a bad move to make a blanket announcement that you are not going to interact with fans/fan groups until the end of the season.
    This only leads to fans wondering what bad stuff the new owners have in store, which they are not prepared to discuss.
    Indeed, your own claim that the "ramifications of the previous regime will be felt long into the Summer" is a perfect example of my point.

"January is the worst time to strengthen a squad" - teams picked up several of our players, so not everyone agrees with your historical decree.

16 matches in 52 days - for 5 grand a week, I will do it.
    As for the state of the pitch - it was all in the due diligence.

Yes, Reza and AA made tangible contributions, but who knows what would have happened with this, that, or the other player in the team instead.

RD referring to us as "one of his children", then selling a talisman striker, and decent midfielder, supplementing the squad with dubious alternatives, announcing a ST deadline, proposing seat moves, undisclosed transfer payments, then sacking a popular manager - all smacks of amateur night at the local drama club.

It left some feeling exploited and like an unwanted add-on to Rolands new plaything.

Having said all that, it's very simple for RD to get all the doubters back on side with a few key signatures (DP, Morro etc), and open up the dialogue channels going forward.

Due to the previous regime - we were already on RD's side when he got here,
    so however bad the news is..........................

Just tell us.
  • Options
    Ah, due diligence...

For whatever reason, RD does not seem to do due diligence to the depth I would expect. In my industry, a company with a similar headcount and structure would take 3-6 months, especially if the ownership involved some dodgy offshore setup (and sorry, if some people say 'it's legal' as far as I'm concerned all such arrangements are dodgy). RD seems to have taken four weeks max. It also seems that he came unstuck in Budapest over a matter that due diligence probably would have uncovered.

Then again, we might want to be grateful. He came along when he did, and did the deal in time for the Jan window. If he had strung it out, who knows where we might be. Over the pitch, he has my sympathy. You would have thought that if you were buying a Championship football club, with all the advantages and history Slater will have gone on about, you'd at least expect the pitch to be serviceable, and certainly not the worst in the whole League.