Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Article: Trying to square up the Circle of Discontent

123457»

Comments

• Options

Because he didn't agree with RD's plans/philosophy.

It's been said so many times. Do try & keep up :-)

So being bottom of the league had absolutely nothing to do with the sacking?
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I don't know. What did your sources tell you ? :-)

Maybe just a smidgen :-)

But in all seriousness, we probably could have been mid table & Powell would have still got the bullet, if he was refusing to embrace RD's plans.
  • Options
    I'm with SHG on the " Katrien loves CAFC " declaration.

Thing is, Jose is firmly in that category too, believe me.

IF, and it's a big IF, he is asked to remain in post and IF he accepts, then I think we are in safe hands.

With JR at the helm & KM behind him, both seemingly trusty servants of RD and instrumental in steering the ship through some potentially treacherous waters, I find it hard to believe that our owner would risk blowing up those new bridges by riding totally roughshod over what has obviously been successful in recent weeks.

I'm not so naïve as to suggest Roland's cunning plan would be completely shelved but a highly successful businessman surely hasn't attained such a status by refusing to allow a degree of flexibility into his vision. A touch of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it " ?

OK - maybe naïve is my middle name and those pinky specs have found their way home again but who knows....it's possible that my favourite word could make a comeback ....

Believe !
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    In many ways the opportunity that was there last summer is still there this. Maybe more so in some respects. If we can sign up the key out of contract players, there is a firm basis to build a successful team from. This year the resources to make the step which could take us to glory might be there when last season they were not - but will this fit in with the plan? I don't know - and I will be looking carefully for clues in the weeks ahead.
  • Options

Try the obverse. If we were nibbling at the play-offs and had actually won our way to the Cup semi-final, do you think Duchatelet would have sacked Powell? Of course not. He would have heeded your loyal support, Covered End.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    I think if Powell was "disobeying orders" he would probably have kept him until the summer & not renewed his contract.
  • Options

IF, and it's a big IF, he is asked to remain in post and IF he accepts, then I think we are in safe hands.

With JR at the helm & KM behind him, both seemingly trusty servants of RD and instrumental in steering the ship through some potentially treacherous waters, I find it hard to believe that our owner would risk blowing up those new bridges by riding totally roughshod over what has obviously been successful in recent weeks.

I'm not so naïve as to suggest Roland's cunning plan would be completely shelved but a highly successful businessman surely hasn't attained such a status by refusing to allow a degree of flexibility into his vision. A touch of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it " ?

OK - maybe naïve is my middle name and those pinky specs have found their way home again but who knows....it's possible that my favourite word could make a comeback ....

Believe !

We have a second hand Hyundai for sale, two careful owners and a really great motor - yours for six grand OK?
  • Options

But perhaps RD's plans did not include being bottom of the league, playing rubbish and not scoring goals? Perhaps his philosophy is CAFC should beat (or at least compete with) teams like Sheff Utd rather than playing like a pub team that had all hosed down about 10 pints and drawn straws to decide which position to play?
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

But perhaps RD's plans did not include being bottom of the league, playing rubbish and not scoring goals? Perhaps his philosophy is CAFC should beat (or at least compete with) teams like Sheff Utd rather than playing like a pub team that had all hosed down about 10 pints and drawn straws to decide which position to play?
    Oh dear…

You can ‘perhaps’ all you like, but (once again) what the two main parties said at the time doesn’t support you:

CP: Thursday, 06 March 2014

"We've agreed all the financial side of the contract - that didn't take long - but we have to agree the football side, players and recruitment moving forward”

http://www.slp.co.uk/sport.cfm?id=7685&headline=Exclusive: Finances agreed on Powell contract but football issues remain

RD: Tue 11 Mar 2014

“There was good progress, but we could not reach an agreement over the club’s football strategy going forward”

http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20140310-chris-powell-leaves-charlton-1411657.aspx?utm_content=buffer8a4a3&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer#sMmg3Ie7PeFoYSzb.99

• Options
    Thank you FF, it's always good to read a positive post. As I said way back, I like Jose but I'm almost too scared to allow any more than that. If he stay's , I'll be over the moon.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Believe !

This summer will be the proof of the pudding of the strategy / plan. Most big businesses and successful entrepreneurs follow their original strategy, but once they initially implement it as the variable factors change and reality appears. Already, RD has seen a reality that Championship is not the same as other 2nd tiers that he has experience of and this must have changed his cost base assumptions, whioch will either have changed his "break - even" objectives or his long term plans or both.

If we are to believer the Bolton Chairmans "leak" that RD has an objective of next season as "break - even" then he would already have learned that it is not achievable and his strategy and plan will need amending / development and that could even be selling us as an unworkable variable in the "network strategy".

I doubt that KM loves Charlton in the same way as we do, as with any good Chairman she will be passionate about her business and I am sure she is but she will move on in time and be passionate about the next business she is involved. I suspect she will do what is best for Charlton within the framework of her responsibilities to RD and if she doesn't he'll remove her.