Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Blackburn, post match views

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2014
    The standard of our football is extremely poor.
    Great noise from the Covered End (top) today.
    Poyet superb (as ever)
    Hamer has lost the plot.
    Why would you ever drop Wilson?
    Will AA ever play a full 90 minutes ?
    That Daveeeed bloke should not be in the 18 shirt - let alone on the pitch.
    Need proper team selection on Tuesday, preferably one that plays the ball forward into dangerous positions instead of passing in and out of the center circle for 90 minutes.

Our fate is in our hands and we need 1 win from 2 games - I would have taken this in February like a shot.
  • Options
    Going in at half time I felt the best team were definitely losing and that the momentum and spirit could of been so different had Sordell put away his pen. Nobody at the Valley expected him to score it and why Jacko never took it is beyond me. Other observations... Harriet is simply beyond poor at home, AA's fitness is still laughable and Cousins is never a wide player. Reza looks all style and no substance. Church may never score another goal ever. Jackson looks like he only now offers us set pieces. Today was sadly my final game of the season and I believe the last time I'll see the likes of Poyet and Hamer in a Charlton shirt. I wish them well wherever they end up.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Enjoyed much of the game and didn't think Blackburn looked a class above us for most of the time. Sordell did well, but agree with earlier posters - total foreboding when I saw him step forward for the pen. Reza total horseshit as usual.
  • Options
    Reza has style? I must have missed that.
  • Options
    Don't want to say I told you so (see my previous thread 'Raining on Anyone's Parade')...but oh bollocks...told you so and I'm not the only one who feared this result before a ball was kicked. Why oh why does Riga not play Solly and Wilson on the right? Cousins is totally lost out there...and Riga keeps banging on about resting players, but still plays Poyet, Cousins and Jackson virtually every minute of every game? Why did Sordell (who I thought had a good game) take the penalty? All sitting round me said the same...we can't all be bloody wrong! AA looks so immobile, unless the ball is within 5 yards he doesn't appear to be interested and as for chasing back...well he just don't do it. If this thing goes to end at Blackpool I fear we will soon be reacquainted with Yeovil and Barnsley. Please guys, prove me wrong Tuesday!!
  • Options
    Wilson is needed Tuesday as many are saying Solly can only play once a week. All results apart from Blackpool went for us so I was relaxed second half... What I saw from Sordell, Poyet and a few others plus Watford now having no play off chance is good.
    I thought we matched them in midfield throughout but up front they were a completely different class. We had possession and some good movement but they had pace and power.
    Sure we can still go down but one draw is probably enough - someone is going down on 45 points.
  • Options

And by the way I really hope that Wigan get knocked out of the playoff places the spineless bunch of twats.

I know where you're coming from but we really need them to beat Birmingham!
  • Options
    Not as bad as the scoreline suggests and, like Barnsley, we were the better team up until the first goal. However, our defending as a team has become dreadful, especially against set pieces.

I don't think Harriott was that bad and at least he was positive when he had the ball. He's a winger and is going to lose the ball on occasions....thought the reaction from some in the crowd was out of order. AA showed some nice touches, as usual, but it was a generally lethargic performance from him.

For the millionth time, Cousins on the right didn't work. I really don't understand doing that when Solly and Wilson are both available.

Neither of our full backs were on their game today. Solly, understandably, isn't back to the player we know and love yet and Fox was caught out of position or skinned quite a few times.

Sounds odd as we conceded three goals but out Centre backs actually played alright.

Reza was awful. Doesn't get his head up enough and ends up ignoring better placed team mates. I keep hoping he'll adapt to English football but maybe he's just not very good.

Sordell bright throughout, giving their defence a tough game and scoring a neat goal. Should have left the penalty to JJ though.

As mentioned by another poster, if we stay up it shows how bad the other teams at the bottom are. I think we'll take at least a point against Watford and that may be enough.
  • Options
    First half was okay, 2nd half turned into a disorganised mess and we were lucky to only get beat 3-1

Not sure what Wilson has done to not be starting either at RB or RM.
  • Options
    Beaten by the better team. Main points were 1. Harriott giving ball away for their first when he had fox on the wing to pass to and almost gifted them another in the first half. 2. Sordell winning the penalty and then hoping JJ would take it and instead Sordell see's it saved. 3. AA was too lazy at times, if only he had Poyets engine! 4. Cousins short pass gifting them the third. One of those games that was end to end but we couldn't get enough clear chances in the second half. Sordell has suddenly found his mojo and what a goal to make it 1-2 and my MoM. Can see this going down to the last game but praying to Buddah, Jesus, Allah and any one who will listen for a result on Tuesday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I didn't think we played that badly today but we had the misfortune to come up against a powerful Blackburn side in prime form. They don't give anything away and are strong and fast. The speed at which they got bodies into the box for their third was phenomenal. Most sides would have struggled against them today.

I thought Sordell looked sharper then I'd ever seen before. The penalty looked more a case of a good save rather than a poor shot. Soon made up for it with a great finish for his goal. Wonder if he's looking forward to facing his old club on Tuesday.

Was impressed with young Fox. Looked very calm and collected all afternoon. Also i thought Reza looks like he's got stronger on the ball and is coming to terms with the pace of this league.

Elsewhere, only Bpool managed a win (can't imagine how they beat Wigan) so we are still in with a great chance. Even if we lose the last two, Donny have to win at Leicester to overtake us, and I just can't see that happening. It could even be that a draw between Bpool and us will guarantee mutual salvation. Or we could make it all academic by beating Watford. Its all to play for!
  • Options
    That was unbelievably bad today, we lacked any sense of organisation in defence.

Hamer looked a terrible today, first goal was his fault, went down in instalments.

Some very tired legs, thought that was just about as bad as back 5 have played at home all season and the midfield today was a joke.

Harriet had spells but gave the ball away far to often, gave Fox little cover & was a liability. AA is a coward in my book, he might have nice touches but no bottle.

Cousins is not a right midfielder when will Riga learn, Wilson should be playing in that position. Solly was not himself today.

New Sordell would miss the penalty never looked confident.

We will only survive if teams below us don't win or if Watford are on holiday on Tuesday.

• Options
    Possibly our worst performance of the season and we have had some poor ones. Lucky to get away with 3-1. I suspect there was some tiredness, so when we needed some energy in the second half why wasn't Wilson brought on. Instead we has waste of space rezza and then that thing from manure who is worse than a waste of space. Astrid wasn't interested, Poyet was off from usual self as was Cousins (tiredness?), Solly isn't match fit. Morrison and Dervite didn't look as commanding as they have done for most of the season.
    The only bright spot was Sordell who looked lively but isolated most of time.
    Just hoping Leicester are up for it next week v Donny and then we actually get some decent players in during the summer to add to youth players coming through.
  • Options
    Can only think JG can't bring himself to drop JJ to fit in Cousins and Wilson which seems the best fit.
    Not overwhelmed as score suggests, but beaten by a more efficient team able to punish errors.
  • Options
    Beaten by the better team.......again.
  • Options
    We were unusually poor defensively today. I thought Blackburn looked a decent side, at least we kept Rhodes quiet again. Was reading the programme on the train home & noticed Blackburn had conceded 10 penalties this season all away from home, & they were all scored. Typical !
  • Options
    Not too downbeat. Blackburn really played well, they're a good side with good players and we were competitive for most of the game. Thought we looked a bit leggy at times, subs were really odd - could have done with Wilson's energy - and the penalty miss was a significant moment in the game.

Felt for Sordell - he never looked like scoring the penalty but that was by some distance the best performance I've seen from him in a Charlton shirt. Playing for a contract I guess, but what a cracking goal that was.

Dervitte was off colour today, Hamer was having one of those games - surely he could have saved the first one? - but did make some saves. Defence looked shaky but Blackburn have pace and particularly power going forward.

Our kids were generally excellent, but AA and Reza might as well not have been out there. The latter's dallying as Solly raced past him was frustrating to say the least, but he's only with us to shine before the World Cup so it's inevitable he's going to be all about Reza.

Watford lost, which confirms they have absolutely nothing more to play for. A win on Tuesday and we're safe.
  • Options
    I could have saved the first goal and there other goals were cos of our mistakes.Well done for the penalty miss
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Same as Barnsley performance in that up to the first goal going in we were playing OK, goal goes in and we never get going again.

Same old issue in that the right hand side of midfield disrupts the balance of the team. Cousins is not the answer out their, just like every other option bar Stewart and Wilson that have been tried there this season.

Look out on our feet, but really need to lift again for Tuesday
  • Options
    Should that game be remembered as the match of the missed penalty ,the clinical finishing by Rovers ,the piss poor finishing by us or the "how many times did they get a lucky break defending in their own penalty area " ?How many times did the ball bounce kindly for them when a ricochet ,had it just once fallen better for us , might so easily have been smashed into their net"? Probably a mixture of all of these things .What also sticks in the memory is the nudge on Cousins when just ahead of his defender in the first half .That was a stone wall penalty that the ref might have seen ,but which the lino definitely should have seen if he had been up to it ,but which they inexplicably missed .Mind you Sordell would not have converted it so what difference does that make I suppose?How could Sordell rather than Jackson ever have taken the penalty that the referee did award but even if he had been Stevie Wonder couldn't actually have failed to give? Unfortunately our hat trick hero was clearly intimidated by a combination of Robinson farting around like a pantomime dame trying to delay the kick,the rovers end wolf whistling at him and waving their scarves to try to put him off(??!!! was this game played in April 1976 or am i mistaken !!) ,his body language being all wrong ,his head being hung as he ambled up to the ball and his shot being aimed straight at the middle of the goal .Totally hopeless !!!!!!!.Sordell ,jackson and riga should each be docked a day's wages for their lack of professionalism over that farce.Where did the centre of mid field disappear to for the first fifteen minutes of the second half ? Why wasn't Gestede booked for a blatant act of simulation to try to win a penalty in the dying minutes ?A clearer case of trying to con the ref being impossible to recall this season .Has Gucci been playing sport over the park with my son and his 12 year old mates ,particularly a boy called Archie ,rather than training at Sparrows Lane ? He clearly wants to beat everyone himself from about 40 yards out as opposed to passing the ball to a team mate.A day to forget save for the "Poet's" immaculate performance for 45 mins of the first half and the final 30 mins of the second.I shall miss him when we are relegated and he joins Spurs .
  • Options
    Wilson in the bench is a joke and he should be in front of Solly. Didn't play as bad as some suggest on here but errors and missed pen no good against a very accomplished Blackburn team who were simple too good for us.
  • Options
    We outplayed Blackburn in the first half and were unlucky not to go into half time level. Second half our heads dropped a bit and Blackburn started looking very dangerous everytime they went forward.

Encouraging though. If we had some decent strikers, we wouldnt be anywhere near the relegation zone.
  • Options
    I thought we weren't that bad today, but came up against an in form Blackburn team (unbeaten in 11 now) who look like they'll just miss out on the playoffs. Terrible penalty, but Sordell was really good otherwise. Solly was poor by his high standards, Fox found it harder than against Bolton, Hamer should really have saved the first (and knew it) while there was a push in the build up to their 3rd goal.
  • Options
    That was rubbish but... I wonder what percentage of commentators who think Harriott is rubbish were at Hillsbrough on Monday - not many I'd imagine
  • Options
    Left side is weak due to Fox inexperience and Harriot, would put Jackson there and cousins could go back in central midfield allowing Wilson back. AA just flatters to deceive at times, nice flicks but not dangerous today then ran out of puff. Sordell did everything that has been asked of him throughout the season, with the exception of the penalty. Shame neither Powell or Riga managed to get that performance out of him sooner.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Can't agree that we "outplayed" them in the first half, the front two were a handful all day. So only chance we had is if we starved them of service, and if you give the ball away in dangerous positions that ain't gonna happen. Add to that Jacko in classic huff and puff mode and we were second best in many respects.

I think Cousins needs a rest, maybe Jacko also. Wilson surely in on Tues...
  • Options
    My first obvious thoughts were, why didn't Jackson take the penalty?
    secondly why wasn't Lawrie Wilson playing in front of Chris Solly?
    Why did we ever sign Reza? Who is responsible for these outragious
    signings? Even AA still not matchfit and has been the only one
    of these signings who has showed any promise.
    Why not bring on Obika, surely better than Church and Reza.
    We have sold two of our best players and replaced them with
    nobodies, pisspoor judgement by someone!