Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Blackburn, post match views

Comments

• Options
    Scoham said:

I agree about the lack of movement, quality on the ball etc but I don't think it's down the coaching. Benson was never anything like a target man. He was a goalscorer that happened to be tall. Just as Cousins will never be a tricky right winger. No amount of good coaching will transform a player into a different type of player.

We have no striker that's good at holding up the ball. Our wingers haven't been good enough, we will need to bring in better in the summer. AA is our most creative player but not fit enough. Jackson's goal threat doesn't seem to be there anymore, but that's perhaps due to the above. Cousins is naturally a defensive player that we're trying to use as a box to box player, again coaching, especially not within a matter of months, isn't going to transform him into a creative or goalscoring midfielder.

vff said:

Do not dance for joy should we stay up. We will go down next season, and will probably be more hurtful than this one!

Don't be pleased that you're alive. You'll die one day.
    You are probably right there. I hope Elfsborg Addick holds off on the Joy Division records for the next couple of days.
    Have always been into Depeche Mode, with a bit of Blondie thrown in
    vff said:

vff said:

Do not dance for joy should we stay up. We will go down next season, and will probably be more hurtful than this one!

You are probably right there. I hope Elfsborg Addick holds off on the Joy Division records for the next couple of days.
    I quite like Joy Divison but not to listen to if you are actually feeling depressed as it won't help. Not music for fighting a relegation battle to. Jam, Ruts and the Clash for me with some ska thrown in.

I like a couple of DM songs . Though with Charlton are less likely to be 'New Life' than 'Everything Counts in large amounts' in Rolands favour unfortunatley. The close season will tell all.
    As we left the ground yesterday, the music on the tannoy was Bob Marley: 'Don't Worry, Be All Right'. Dave Lockwood is taking the piss.

Gentlemen - may I recommend the Canterbury Scene, circa 1968? Caravan first, then Soft Machine, Hatfield & The North - and, if you like a diversion, Camel, Gong, and Magma. Surely you remember Principal Edwards Magic Theatre at The Roundhouse in 1973?

• Options

At this time of year, most struggling teams prefer to play away, as away fans are much more supportive.

Would we have beaten Wednesday at The Valley last Monday after going 2 nil down?
    Birmingham can't win at home.
    Blackpool face demonstrations and fan anger at home, but can win 2-0 at Wigan yesterday.

I think that's a very telling comment. It wasn't always thus.
  • Options

Scoham said:

I agree about the lack of movement, quality on the ball etc but I don't think it's down the coaching. Benson was never anything like a target man. He was a goalscorer that happened to be tall. Just as Cousins will never be a tricky right winger. No amount of good coaching will transform a player into a different type of player.

We have no striker that's good at holding up the ball. Our wingers haven't been good enough, we will need to bring in better in the summer. AA is our most creative player but not fit enough. Jackson's goal threat doesn't seem to be there anymore, but that's perhaps due to the above. Cousins is naturally a defensive player that we're trying to use as a box to box player, again coaching, especially not within a matter of months, isn't going to transform him into a creative or goalscoring midfielder.

vff said:

vff said:

vff said:

I quite like Joy Divison but not to listen to if you are actually feeling depressed as it won't help. Not music for fighting a relegation battle to. Jam, Ruts and the Clash for me with some ska thrown in.

I like a couple of DM songs . Though with Charlton are less likely to be 'New Life' than 'Everything Counts in large amounts' in Rolands favour unfortunatley. The close season will tell all.
    As we left the ground yesterday, the music on the tannoy was Bob Marley: 'Don't Worry, Be All Right'. Dave Lockwood is taking the piss.

Gentlemen - may I recommend the Canterbury Scene, circa 1968? Caravan first, then Soft Machine, Hatfield & The North - and, if you like a diversion, Camel, Gong, and Magma. Surely you remember Principal Edwards Magic Theatre at The Roundhouse in 1973?

Don't remember '73 but remember The Boomtown Rats at The Roundhouse November '13!
  • Options
    WSS said:

Jordan knew...

omg brilliant! or not maybe! but cousins that tells you alot!!
  • Options
    I think Glovepup chooses the music @Viewfinder.

After yesterday I have to question Jackson's credibility as captain - it was his job to give the bad news to Sordell that he is not the designated penalty taker and therefore he (Jackson) would be taking it. This isn't park football for Christ's sake.
  • Options

Our team is made up of a mixture of Championship and League One players. Our squad is League One standard overall. This is particularly the case regarding our forwards.

We went into the season knowing it would be a long, hard slog. Powell knew that as he said in his recent Talk Sport interview. At various times in the season we have lost our best players to injury; Wiggins, Kermorgant, Jackson, Solly and Hamer have all had periods of time out.

We have an honest yet limited bunch of players. We have some who are capable of putting in some decent performances but a sign of a decent rather than top quality player is inconsistency; the inability to play 8/10 week in week out. The only player we have who has done this in recent times is Solly. Maybe Kermorgant also.

We then sell our two most gifted footballers. We bring in players who simply are not good enough to compete in this league so we bring through the youngsters. This will have an effect regardless of how well they have settled.

Poyet and Cousins have been the best thing about this season but they have a handful of games between them. They need experienced heads around them which is why I believe Jackson is still involved every game. Although I know some fans do not agree with Jackson starting, his assists and goals in the second half of this season have been vital.

The inconsistency in our performances reflects the ability of our players. Whether it is right that the off field issues affect performances is arguable, however it clearly has had some impact.

I think we will survive and this will be one of the most interesting pre seasons we have had in a long time. The decisions made in the next three months re playing and management staff will speak volumes for RD's intentions for us.

Good analysis.

I am slightly more cautious about our survival. As Atletico Addick says above: "We've conceded 12 goals in 6 (including against some dire teams), and Watford have scored 12 in 6... They've scored 11 in their last 6 away and we've conceded 11 in our last 6 at home", while Blackpool should be up for it at home.

However, I agree that the pre-season will tell us a lot about our future. Will we learn to our cost what it was about "the football side, players and recruitment moving forward" that CP couldn't agree to sign a new contract. Or has RD learnt some lessons that will lead him to modify his plan to 'make football pay' through central control over player recruitment and movement of player's within the 'network'; which might be a laudable aim in light of the current insanity of football finance, but, if we stay up, would probably lead to another season struggling near the bottom.

• Options

At this time of year, most struggling teams prefer to play away, as away fans are much more supportive.

Would we have beaten Wednesday at The Valley last Monday after going 2 nil down?
    Blackpool face demonstrations and fan anger at home, but can win 2-0 at Wigan yesterday.

There does appear to be something in this. Such a difference from relegation battles of the 1980s when we still felt very confident of winning at home. Something has changed and our players don't seem comfortable playing at home.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

The more I think about this situation, the angrier I am.

There is pressure enough taking a penalty just before HT in a key end-of-season game. To voluntarily heap extra pressure on yourself by stealing the ball from the nominated taker is rank unprofessionalism (and Jackson is far from blameless).

I don't think you have to be a sports psychologist to know that the thoughts going through Sordell's head (eg "...miss this and I have let my skipper and teammates down..." would be far from healthy as he stepped up to take it.

I hope the penalty-taker has none of those thoughts, neyyorkaddick. Wim Wenders made a very good film called 'The Goalkeeper's Fear of The Penalty' (1972) which of course is about that and other things.

I was at Dartford for our U-21 pre-season friendly last July: at 0-0 we were just about getting away with it. Then someone was tripped and Joe Pigott stepped up for a pen. He blazed it miles over the bar. A few days later, Powell played him in our League Cup game against Oxford. We got a penalty, and although Danny Green had just drilled one home against Welling for the seniors, Pigott grabbed the ball off him.

I don't know about you, but I dislike that kind of insubordination.

• Options
    re. that vid, I also notice AA turning around after the miss and looking aghast at the bench as if to say "why was he allowed to take it"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Oh great, thanks for that...just bought my bloody season ticket!! Don't think I could bear another season like this one. To be fair I am still amazed where we finished last year...let's face it home form, up until the last third our home form was as abysmal as this one. But of course, then we had Kermogant! The boy scored two again yesterday.....if we do go down, I know where I will be pointing the finger and no amount of standing around giving out free programmes in tight jeans will absolve her and the owner of blame! Oh well roll on Tuesday and probably more of the same, must get at least a point...even if we have to play four centre backs and five across the middle!

• Options
    seriously_red said:
    Anyone abusing our team at this stage should be thrown out! Bad enough reading self appointed experts condemning players on this site after they see them have one bad game but to abuse players when we need just a point or three from the end of season games is to have no idea about supporting a club like ours. Over the years I've had words with fellow fans perhaps once every five years. Today we were all smiling in the area where I sit not because of CAFC efforts but virtually every other result swung our way in the second half.

Completely agree, what good can come out of abusing our team at this stage of the season, does anyone think that will get the extra 10% out of them.
  • Options
    Can't see WSS's link of the pen - could someone repost?
  • Options
    addick05 said:

Oh great, thanks for that...just bought my bloody season ticket!! Don't think I could bear another season like this one. To be fair I am still amazed where we finished last year...let's face it home form, up until the last third our home form was as abysmal as this one. But of course, then we had Kermogant! The boy scored two again yesterday.....if we do go down, I know where I will be pointing the finger and no amount of standing around giving out free programmes in tight jeans will absolve her and the owner of blame! Oh well roll on Tuesday and probably more of the same, must get at least a point...even if we have to play four centre backs and five across the middle!

I like your style, keep the faith!
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

There does appear to be something in this. Such a difference from relegation battles of the 1980s when we still felt very confident of winning at home. Something has changed and our players don't seem comfortable playing at home.
    Poor crowd considering the importance of the game yesterday, less then 15k Charlton there, interesting to see what it is Tuesday.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I still insist this squad can form the basis of a top half championship side! Obviously we need to add depth, and add quality up front and out wide! That would mean we wouldn't have to play cousins out of position! As let's be honest the reason for that happening is that he is considered the best option we have there right now! As with Wilson need oh a rest and Solly's fitness in doubt Wilson has to be saved for right back duties! That leaves Green or Pritchard! Or the obvious choice of cousins! Not soo much square pegs in round holes as the best option we have there! Back to next year! We currently have a surplus of CM's (cousins Poyet Jackson adjarevic petrucci) who could all do a job on top of gower Hughes and Hollands who are best left unmentioned! So regardless of who we lose we may only need one addition there in the summer for what would be a strong centre midfield combination! Ideally cousins Poyet and adjarevic for me with cousins dropping to the bench for home games to allow the extra striker! But we'll see how that all pans out in the transfer window! In defence we seem fairly strong and have depth with youngsters coming through! We could need one more cb as I see cort and wood being seen as surplus to requirements! Hat depends on whether feely and Lennon are seen as good enough! In goal Hamer would be good to keep however if we don't I would give Pope a go it may be judged too early but I think the boy has quality! If we do keep Hamer or sign someone similar then Pope and Phillips are good enough to take her bench and maybe challenge for the top spot! Thuram can go! Full backs were good with more than able cover! If we want Wilson as a midfielder then another rb is needed! We'll see if Nego is really useless! On the wing Harriott is as far as I'd go and as much as I rate the boy there is improvement to be made! So another two wingers added will help preferably in the Stewart mold who can take on a man and cross and shoot!! Up front, I'm certain one of sordell and Reza will be up to it with a proper pre season and he right management (not slating Powell but he appeared to lose faith in sordell very quickly and that knocked what little confidence he had!) We need another type of striker more of a target man we will see if pp is up to it after time to settle! Church showed some good touches yesterday and some good balls in so maybe he should reinvent himself as a winger! So maybe another striker or two needed with Obika as an impact sub! That all depends on who we keep which brings me to the point I look forward with both hope and anticipation to the summer and the transfer strategy!

Edit: this was all assuming we maintain our championship status! Completely different story if we go down with more exits and youth players taking an even more important role!
  • Options

Simonsen said:

Poor crowd considering the importance of the game yesterday, less then 15k Charlton there, interesting to see what it is Tuesday.
    With the tube strike and Watford nothing to play for could be pretty disappointing. In reality 12,500? Announced around 15000.

• Options
    Tuesday is a must win game for us but I have to say this was a pretty abysmal performance defensively Hamer was once again on walkabout he was lucky to get away with the one on one with Rhodes as he was very late off his line again then minutes later we conceded a goal he should have saved. If anyone can explain to me why with Solly available we didn't play Wilson in front of him I would be pleased to ehar the answer for me that really was a no brainer, I think we may stay up but this will only delay the inevitable unless we do invest. we need a back up right back, two wide players and a stiker who can score Sordell did very well yesterday but we need more than he offers on his own.

All in all this has been a crap season of Football and I for one will be glad to see the back of it.
  • Options
    Ah shoot! The bloody tube strike - I'd forgotten that! I'll be there though. :-)
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Reza has style? I must have missed that.

Apart from holding the ball too long, falling over at merest touch and no positional discipline ... Lots of style.

Comment from Barnsley forum after we played them.

"Ibramovich doesn't go to Brazil but Reza does ... Outrageous"

Lets hope he has a decent world cup and we flog him for a few million to swell the transfer chest in the summer.

I think that was probably the plan all along when the network transferred him to us on a free.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @cantersaddick‌

I don't think Wilson is being rested or saved for RB duties. For some reason Riga doesn't seem to want to play him in the right midfield position. That's surprising. I'm sure most of had expected Wilson to move forward into that position if/when Solly became available.

Be interested in views about what's going on. Perhaps Riga doesn't think Wilson passes the ball well enough to play in an advanced position? Alternatively, the team selection might result from a process of elimination, i.e. despite his obvious limitations, Jackson gets the nod because of his "influence and experience" and then Cousins plays on the right so that he can be accommodated somewhere? Not entirely convinced its the right answer.

PS Just seen the highlights. Don't think Lev Yashin would have saved Gestede's header.
  • Options

@cantersaddick‌

I don't think Wilson is being rested or saved for RB duties. For some reason Riga doesn't seem to want to play him in the right midfield position. That's surprising. I'm sure most of had expected Wilson to move forward into that position if/when Solly became available.

Be interested in views about what's going on. Perhaps Riga doesn't think Wilson passes the ball well enough to play in an advanced position? Alternatively, the team selection might result from a process of elimination, i.e. despite his obvious limitations, Jackson gets the nod because of his "influence and experience" and then Cousins plays on the right so that he can be accommodated somewhere? Not entirely convinced its the right answer.

PS Just seen the highlights. Don't think Lev Yashin would have saved Gestede's header.

He's only got one leg, and he's getting on a bit too.

• Options

@cantersaddick‌

You may be right! I was simply trying to find some logic to explain the decision as after all none of us know what goes on in he manager well head coaches mind! Perhaps Wilson is being saved in case Solly has a reccurance of the injury...
  • Options
    You're definately Charlton mate
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    @Viewfinder‌

There is no answer to that!!
  • Options

So we have to treat Tuesday like an away game and shout from start to finish for the team. We have to tolerate errors because most will make no difference to the game. I go to around three away games a season usually in London and 4,000 fans at Selhurst or Millwall show the players 100% support.

As per other posters this summer has the biggest potential to either show drive and determination to put Charlton where is should be or to let the club drift and blabber on about the long term. My personal view is that CAFC should be making the most of 10+ players leaving and ensure that the first XI next August can compete with the top ten clubs. Whatever the gap between ourselves, Watford and Blackburn this week it needs to be closed as fast as possible.

I don't believe we have a League 1 squad because we won that two years ago, the League one standard players will be leaving this summer and the only area I think we are seriously deficient is up front. Powell brought in the likes of Fuller, Kermorgant and Hulse but suddenly it became too expensive to retain them? Despite conceding 3 goals several times in the last couple of months, we bounce back each time, usually on a Tuesday night and we are still in the middle of the form tables. We are good enough to stay up but we are not good enough to go back to the top half. There is a chance to put that right this summer. If Duchatelet and others do not do this then watch the club decline visibly - why would anyone continue to watch relegation fights or in the words of Oscar Wilde:
    To flirt with relegation once is unfortunate but to do it twice is sheer carelessness.

• Options
    Of course the points we have acquired would have relegated us last season....but perhaps that is for another day. COYRs
  • Options

Anyone abusing our team at this stage should be thrown out! Bad enough reading self appointed experts condemning players on this site after they see them have one bad game but to abuse players when we need just a point or three from the end of season games is to have no idea about supporting a club like ours. Over the years I've had words with fellow fans perhaps once every five years. Today we were all smiling in the area where I sit not because of CAFC efforts but virtually every other result swung our way in the second half.

What utter nonsense. As fans, it is our right and our duty to be critical and vociferous. There are quite enough flag-waving, scarf-knitting, curtain-twitching people around who are in love with Joe Pigott; many Lifers imagine that Bradley Pritchard and Callum Harriott are their own children. "Ooooh, someone behind me on Saturday dared to criticise Ben Hamer. String 'im up."

What a silly romantic delusion to think that telling someone to bang a drum and sing a song will somehow propel the ball in to the net. The Blackburn players who beat us yesterday - like a long list of other teams before them - were not thinking about their fans, or their 'history', or their manager, or their wives, or their money. They are rehearsed to score, and win - and they do it very well indeed.

Even at 1-0 down at home yesterday we were shovelling those faint-hearted balls across midfield. We were playing for a slight defeat. It is utterly disgraceful that our players, in front of 15,000 fans, are physically and mentally unable to quicken the pulse, rattle the bar, and put it in to the onion-bag.

I enjoy reading your posts Viewfinder and I try to be as dispassionate as you are in my assessment. I agree that there is no place for sentiment or misplaced loyalty. However, we need to be realistic.

What do you expect? We are playing in one of the most competitive Leagues in world football. Moreover, there is simply no comparison between the standard of players, collective organisation and commitment of teams in the Championship now and those in the Division 2 of old. The challenge Charlton faces today is a world apart. And worse, there are a number of Clubs with a very significant financial advantage over us. Blackburn is one of them and if these teams are at all well managed we're going to be second best to them.

You have complained in the past about what you perceived to be a failure of coaching at Sparrows Lane. "What are they doing all week?", you've often complained. I've always had a lot a sympathy with that view. I too felt that Powell's players, whilst always motivated and highly committed, appeared not to be developing, either individually or collectively. However, we are now seeing that there are always two sides to every argument. Riga has been very clear, and honest, in saying "we don't have the best players, but we need to be the best team" and he is clearly trying to change the style of play. The side is more patient and the central defenders are obviously being asked to play more football. Its not easy though. We need more fluency and pace for this approach to work. Probably time too. Also, in the modern game "turnover ball" can be very dangerous (it wasn't in the old Division 2) and we got punished again yesterday for two basic errors. So what do you do? Resort to Hoofball again or keep trying? There simply is no easy answer.

We were beaten by a good side yesterday, but not because we were outplayed from start to finish. On the contrary. At times we played some decent stuff. We lost because we lack penetration and because we got punished for a small number of errors. That's what happens against good sides. I haven't seen Blackburn's first goal again yet, but my read yesterday was that it was a fantastic header by a real handful of a player who would have been playing in Division One during most of the time you've (we've) been watching football.

I'm no romantic. I think we're going to have to battle to stay in the Championship again next season (assuming we survive this one) unless we spend some serious money, i.e. increase the wage bill, but that's not what I expect. With luck there'll be a lot to enjoy though. More young players coming through and, if Riga stays, some better football than we've been used to on a better pitch. We're not going to outplay the likes of Sunderland, Cardiff, Fulham or Norwich though. However, if we're realistic about what's possible and set our sights appropriately we can still enjoy it!! That's what I keep telling myself anyway!!
    THIS !! Well said, MF & sirjohnhumphrey.