Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Blackburn, post match views

Comments

• Options
    vff said:

Do not dance for joy should we stay up. We will go down next season, and will probably be more hurtful than this one!

Don't be pleased that you're alive. You'll die one day.
    You are probably right there. I hope Elfsborg Addick holds off on the Joy Division records for the next couple of days.
    Have always been into Depeche Mode, with a bit of Blondie thrown in
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    There's another thing our players haven't been trained to do properly - jump for the headers from crosses. Did you notice in the first half yesterday - there were some lovely crosses into the six-yard box, our striker leaped high - but too early, so he was on the way the down when the ball should've hit his bonce.

Bad timing? Poor motor skills; it's Carl Leaburn all over again. Paul Benson failed with this, too. Rob Elliot used to punt 80-yard kicks with superb accuracy, and while the ball was in the air, Benson would half-circle, approach it sideways - and never win a header.

One of the things that instantly impressed me about Kermorgant was that he won those headers, nodding them down for BWP. Kermorgant is six inches shorter than Benson.

And speaking of crosses - given half a chance, Danny Green will despatch a corner straight on to the top of the onion-bag.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    The game was the low point in what was otherwise a good day, drinks in Greenwich before and drinks in the Tower Bridge area after, the game itself was poor, agree with what's said before never thought Sordell would score the penalty and a times it was men against boys, still beat Watford and all will be forgiven.
  • Options

There's another thing our players haven't been trained to do properly - jumping for the headers from crosses. Did you notice in the first half yesterday - there were some lovely crosses into the six-yard box, our striker leaped high - but too early, so he was on the way the down when the ball should've hit his bonce.

Bad timing? Poor motor skills; it's Carl Leaburn all over again. Paul Benson failed with this, too. Rob Elliot used to punt 80-yard kicks with superb accuracy, and while the ball was in the air, Benson would half-circle, approach it sideways - and never win a header.

One of the things that instantly impressed me about Kermorgant was that he won those headers, nodding them down for BWP. Kermorgant is six inches shorter than Benson.

And, given half a chance, Danny Green will despatch a corner straight on to the top of the onion-bag.

I thought this all game. Poyet is particularly bad.
  • Options

There's another thing our players haven't been trained to do properly - jump for the headers from crosses. Did you notice in the first half yesterday - there were some lovely crosses into the six-yard box, our striker leaped high - but too early, so he was on the way the down when the ball should've hit his bonce.

Speaking of crosses - given half a chance, Danny Green will despatch a corner straight on to the top of the onion-bag.

Blimey Viewfinder, you been doing the night shift last night? or Charltons performance keep you awake all night?
    Good posts BTW, agree with most you point out.
  • Options
    I agree about the lack of movement, quality on the ball etc but I don't think it's down the coaching. Benson was never anything like a target man. He was a goalscorer that happened to be tall. Just as Cousins will never be a tricky right winger. No amount of good coaching will transform a player into a different type of player.

We have no striker that's good at holding up the ball. Our wingers haven't been good enough, we will need to bring in better in the summer. AA is our most creative player but not fit enough. Jackson's goal threat doesn't seem to be there anymore, but that's perhaps due to the above. Cousins is naturally a defensive player that we're trying to use as a box to box player, again coaching, especially not within a matter of months, isn't going to transform him into a creative or goalscoring midfielder.
  • Options
    Apart from the strikers/wingers problem, the main problem as i see it, as VF points out is no pace,incision and muscle in midfield - its all tippy-tappy bollox around the halfway line then, give the ball away.
  • Options
    Jordan knew...

• Options
    I think that Sordell has shown us recently that with the right players around him, he would be an asset.
  • Options
    That is such a piss poor penalty
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The more I think about this situation, the angrier I am.

There is pressure enough taking a penalty just before HT in a key end-of-season game. To voluntarily heap extra pressure on yourself by stealing the ball from the nominated taker is rank unprofessionalism (and Jackson is far from blameless).

I don't think you have to be a sports psychologist to know that the thoughts going through Sordell's head (eg "...miss this and I have let my skipper and teammates down..." would be far from healthy as he stepped up to take it.
  • Options

Result as to be expected in reality but the manner of the costly mistakes make it frustrating. Thought we played well at times and ok overall. The players put in a decent shift but with the same Achilles heels of not being very good attacking and being punished for silly mistakes.

Most teams in this league simply have better players than us and Blackburn have much better players and much stronger squad than us. They are underachieving this year and should be comfortably in the play off places imo.

Penalty miss aside I thought Sordell was fantastic. If he has found some confidence or whatever is his problem (as lack of ability has never been it) and continues with that effort then he's more than welcome to stay here. Our fans can be arseholes towards players at time but great to see him being acknowledged and clapped off at half time. Poyet had another good game but Sordell my MOM.

Most other players were ok, just not good enough on the day. Cousins being played totally out of position and expected to play in a way not natural to him so I'm loathed to moan to much about him. Yes he was mostly poor but that's Riga's fault more than his. Harriet was mostly poor and clearly has no confidence in front of a home crowd any more. Shame because there is a good player in there as we have seen.

Really hoping Watford start their holidays early as really not confident now about needing a result at Blackpool.

And Blackburns support, pathetic. Obviously still have sore throats from all that booing over recent years. Only way that unified scarf waiving can ever be explained in this country.
  • Options

vff said:

Do not dance for joy should we stay up. We will go down next season, and will probably be more hurtful than this one!

Don't be pleased that you're alive. You'll die one day.
    You are probably right there. I hope Elfsborg Addick holds off on the Joy Division records for the next couple of days.
    Have always been into Depeche Mode, with a bit of Blondie thrown in
    I quite like Joy Divison but not to listen to if you are actually feeling depressed as it won't help. Not music for fighting a relegation battle to. Jam, Ruts and the Clash for me with some ska thrown in.

I like a couple of DM songs . Though with Charlton are less likely to be 'New Life' than 'Everything Counts in large amounts' in Rolands favour unfortunatley. The close season will tell all.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Did anyone ask Riga in the press conference whether Sordell was indeed the designated penalty taker?
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

"A few people were berating Sordell taking the penalty, but I have no problem with it. His confidence would have been high after Monday and don't forget that Jackson missed a penalty at home to Blackburn last season, so I doubt he would have fancied it!"

This is exactly how I saw it. Someone posted some rubbish about Jackson shirking his responsibilities as captain in allowing Sordell to take it. No, Jackson let Sordell have it because he is well aware that he is not the player he was, he hasn't taken a penalty in 6 months and he knew Sordell would be brimming with confidence after a hat trick. A shame he missed but I would have done exactly the same thing. If Jackson had taken it and missed everyone would be furious, asking why a player who scored 3 goals on Monday did not step up.

I really don't think anyone would have been saying that if Jacko had taken it. He is our penalty taker.
  • Options
    this summer we are going to have to work on being more lethal with chances and punish teams regularly. our defence bar today and a few occasions has been top six worthy and thats without wiggins and solly for large parts of the season.
  • Options
    Mike said:

JaShea99 said:

"A few people were berating Sordell taking the penalty, but I have no problem with it. His confidence would have been high after Monday and don't forget that Jackson missed a penalty at home to Blackburn last season, so I doubt he would have fancied it!"

This is exactly how I saw it. Someone posted some rubbish about Jackson shirking his responsibilities as captain in allowing Sordell to take it. No, Jackson let Sordell have it because he is well aware that he is not the player he was, he hasn't taken a penalty in 6 months and he knew Sordell would be brimming with confidence after a hat trick. A shame he missed but I would have done exactly the same thing. If Jackson had taken it and missed everyone would be furious, asking why a player who scored 3 goals on Monday did not step up.

I really don't think anyone would have been saying that if Jacko had taken it. He is our penalty taker.
    Jackson was our penalty taker, but he'd handed that responsibility on to Kermorgant. My recollection is that Jackson missed the last one (or more) he took, though I could be wrong about that. In any event, we needed a new designated penalty taker.

Did anyone ask Riga in the press conference whether Sordell was indeed the designated penalty taker?

This is the key question. For all we know they'd practised penalties and decided Sordell was the best bet.

As others have already said, Sordell was outstanding yesterday. The best performance from a Charlton striker this season. If he'd played like that from the start of the season we wouldn't be worrying about the game on Tuesday evening.
  • Options

He said he sees Jackson as his penalty taker, but understood why Sordell took it.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Anyone abusing our team at this stage should be thrown out! Bad enough reading self appointed experts condemning players on this site after they see them have one bad game but to abuse players when we need just a point or three from the end of season games is to have no idea about supporting a club like ours. Over the years I've had words with fellow fans perhaps once every five years. Today we were all smiling in the area where I sit not because of CAFC efforts but virtually every other result swung our way in the second half.

What utter nonsense. As fans, it is our right and our duty to be critical and vociferous. There are quite enough flag-waving, scarf-knitting, curtain-twitching people around who are in love with Joe Pigott; many Lifers imagine that Bradley Pritchard and Callum Harriott are their own children. "Ooooh, someone behind me on Saturday dared to criticise Ben Hamer. String 'im up."

What a silly romantic delusion to think that telling someone to bang a drum and sing a song will somehow propel the ball in to the net. The Blackburn players who beat us yesterday - like a long list of other teams before them - were not thinking about their fans, or their 'history', or their manager, or their wives, or their money. They are rehearsed to score, and win - and they do it very well indeed.

Even at 1-0 down at home yesterday we were shovelling those faint-hearted balls across midfield. We were playing for a slight defeat. It is utterly disgraceful that our players, in front of 15,000 fans, are physically and mentally unable to quicken the pulse, rattle the bar, and put it in to the onion-bag.

One of the best posts I've read on this site.
  • Options
    We conceded 3 goals at home, we are shipping goals for fun. Riga needs to work on this it's getting bad. We've conceded a lot to some real lacklustre teams and when we score 1 it's a big thing..
  • Options

Anyone abusing our team at this stage should be thrown out! Bad enough reading self appointed experts condemning players on this site after they see them have one bad game but to abuse players when we need just a point or three from the end of season games is to have no idea about supporting a club like ours. Over the years I've had words with fellow fans perhaps once every five years. Today we were all smiling in the area where I sit not because of CAFC efforts but virtually every other result swung our way in the second half.

What utter nonsense. As fans, it is our right and our duty to be critical and vociferous. There are quite enough flag-waving, scarf-knitting, curtain-twitching people around who are in love with Joe Pigott; many Lifers imagine that Bradley Pritchard and Callum Harriott are their own children. "Ooooh, someone behind me on Saturday dared to criticise Ben Hamer. String 'im up."

What a silly romantic delusion to think that telling someone to bang a drum and sing a song will somehow propel the ball in to the net. The Blackburn players who beat us yesterday - like a long list of other teams before them - were not thinking about their fans, or their 'history', or their manager, or their wives, or their money. They are rehearsed to score, and win - and they do it very well indeed.

Even at 1-0 down at home yesterday we were shovelling those faint-hearted balls across midfield. We were playing for a slight defeat. It is utterly disgraceful that our players, in front of 15,000 fans, are physically and mentally unable to quicken the pulse, rattle the bar, and put it in to the onion-bag.

One of the best posts I've read on this site.
    As have all of Viewfinders (or is it Viewfinder's) posts through the night.
  • Options

We conceded 3 goals at home, we are shipping goals for fun. Riga needs to work on this it's getting bad. We've conceded a lot to some real lacklustre teams and when we score 1 it's a big thing..

I think it's a bit too late to work on with two games to go.

Riga seems to be attack minded in his philosophy which in my opinion is why I think we tend to pick up wins where we may have got draws against lesser teams (Barnsley excepted) but get hammered against the better in form teams. With CP who is more defensively minded I think we would have picked up more draws, lower scoring loses but fewer wins.

I think we will get a point Tuesdays and hammered by a resurgent Blackpool on Saturday whilst Leicester will get at least a draw.
  • Options
    We've conceded 12 goals in 6 (including against some dire teams), and Watford have scored 12 in 6... They've scored 11 in their last 6 away and we've conceded 11 in our last 6 at home..

Be surprised if Watford aren't scoring 2 on Tuesday, can we really match or better that? We need to tread carefully.. Riga's planned worked well until teams have sussed it and go at us imo
  • Options

I enjoy reading your posts Viewfinder and I try to be as dispassionate as you are in my assessment. I agree that there is no place for sentiment or misplaced loyalty. However, we need to be realistic.

What do you expect? We are playing in one of the most competitive Leagues in world football. Moreover, there is simply no comparison between the standard of players, collective organisation and commitment of teams in the Championship now and those in the Division 2 of old. The challenge Charlton faces today is a world apart. And worse, there are a number of Clubs with a very significant financial advantage over us. Blackburn is one of them and if these teams are at all well managed we're going to be second best to them.

You have complained in the past about what you perceived to be a failure of coaching at Sparrows Lane. "What are they doing all week?", you've often complained. I've always had a lot a sympathy with that view. I too felt that Powell's players, whilst always motivated and highly committed, appeared not to be developing, either individually or collectively. However, we are now seeing that there are always two sides to every argument. Riga has been very clear, and honest, in saying "we don't have the best players, but we need to be the best team" and he is clearly trying to change the style of play. The side is more patient and the central defenders are obviously being asked to play more football. Its not easy though. We need more fluency and pace for this approach to work. Probably time too. Also, in the modern game "turnover ball" can be very dangerous (it wasn't in the old Division 2) and we got punished again yesterday for two basic errors. So what do you do? Resort to Hoofball again or keep trying? There simply is no easy answer.

We were beaten by a good side yesterday, but not because we were outplayed from start to finish. On the contrary. At times we played some decent stuff. We lost because we lack penetration and because we got punished for a small number of errors. That's what happens against good sides. I haven't seen Blackburn's first goal again yet, but my read yesterday was that it was a fantastic header by a real handful of a player who would have been playing in Division One during most of the time you've (we've) been watching football.

I'm no romantic. I think we're going to have to battle to stay in the Championship again next season (assuming we survive this one) unless we spend some serious money, i.e. increase the wage bill, but that's not what I expect. With luck there'll be a lot to enjoy though. More young players coming through and, if Riga stays, some better football than we've been used to on a better pitch. We're not going to outplay the likes of Sunderland, Cardiff, Fulham or Norwich though. However, if we're realistic about what's possible and set our sights appropriately we can still enjoy it!! That's what I keep telling myself anyway!!
    Superb assessment.
    I find your final para rather depressing though - I don't want to confront that likely reality, I want to believe in a return to the Prem

• Options
    Kap10 said:

Thanks for your positivity now please close the door on your way out.

What a doom merchant. If we stay up it is our right to do what we like as we have deserved to play in this league for another year. How do you know we are going to go down next season? Enjoy the now, even if it might not be that enjoyable.
  • Options
    Watch cousins in the video above! He knows it's not going in before sordell even runs up! Which highlights the terrible decision to let him take it! Understand why he wanted it and it's good that a striker is like that but captain should overrule!