Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Blackburn, post match views

Comments

• Options
    vffvff
    edited April 2014
    Kap10 said:

Do not dance for joy should we stay up. We will go down next season, and will probably be more hurtful than this one!

Thanks for your positivity now please close the door on your way out.

Elfsborg Addick is entitled to their opinion. The team needs a lot of work in the close season. The strategy regarding sales and player recruitment, does not inspire a lot of confidence so far. Hopefully that will change but I can understand Elfsborg Addick half glass emptyness.
  • Options

In other news, Jonathan Acworth has written to Boris Johnson as a result of his Legoland tickets being too expensive

Has that guy got kids? Poor mites. Should someone call Social Services?

• Options

Do not dance for joy should we stay up. We will go down next season, and will probably be more hurtful than this one!

Don't be pleased that you're alive. You'll die one day.
    You are probably right there. I hope Elfsborg Addick holds off on the Joy Division records for the next couple of days.
  • Options
    I suppose if we wanted to be optimistic RD may have learned a lot about his scouts/advisers and we look to have got away with it this season.
  • Options
    A fairly entertaining game, I didn't think we were that bad, in fact I thought we had taken it up a gear after Bolton. I couldn't watch the pen as Marvins body language was all wrong. Hamer, Cousins and Harriott have all played better, Sordell's goal was a peach.......but I don't get why a lot of the players heads dropped after Cousins gift....we weren't terrible! We clearly looked very good in the first half and average at best in the second....on to Tuesday then I'm buggering off back down under ......a draw a win and a loss so far.....I 'll take a point Tuesday.
  • Options

I suppose if we wanted to be optimistic RD may have learned a lot about his scouts/advisers and we look to have got away with it this season.

The immediate focus is survival with Riga looking at his current squad, likely telling them that they are playing for their future and seeing between now & season's end where he needs to strengthen.
    My concern would be that if they can't get the players they target before the new season they leave it too late and are forced to bring in more fringe players from RD's other clubs.
    I believe RD underestimated the standard of Championship football in several ways - especially the physical side of the game and also the level of fitness required.
    Bringing in the new players as early as possible is a must so they can reach the required fitness level by the season start.
  • Options
    Here is my take on the match, the firSt time ive been able to get to the valley since before Christmas for various reasons so first t time seeing certain players first hand although I have watched a few matches that were streamed online!
    Technically Poyet and Ajdarevic are a class above everyone else on the pitch! Although I do agree AA needs to work on his fitness! Not enough happening off the ball time and time again Poyet looked up but there was nothing on for him!
    As much as I love Jackson, if I was to judge just on today's performance I would not have him in my team! Great captain and motivator And sound defensively however when we had he ball in the first half he rarely got into space and didn't Invite the pass! Could learn from Poyet there! However we did lose shape and control in midfield when he was pushed out wide so maybe my untrained eye is missing something as clearly riga rates him as highly as Powell did... why he let sordell overrule him for the penalty I will never know.. good that the striker wants it but the captain should overrule and regular penalty taker Jackson should have taken it! Also allowing Solly to take a couple free kicks Was also strange! Morrisson and Dervite did well to keep Rhodes contained however Gereste or whatever his name is caused problems and won a lot in the air! Much like we did when we had you know who! Hamer had one of those games... He possibly could have done better for the fist goal although I wouldn't blame it on him! Solly had an alright game and it was good to see him play 90 mins! Fox looked assured defensively, I wouldn't say he was bad going forward however decision making needs to improve! But that will come with experience! Ajdarevic as I said looked quality for half an hour or so! Perhaps he should be used as an impact sub for Jackson as neither seem up to the full 90 this stage in the season! Harriott looked good to begin with and is the only player we have that is willing to take on his man! Cousins showed good signs but is being wasted out on the right! Sordell looked good and threatened at times although I don't think he is suited to a lone striker role! Was impressed with petrucci when he came on showed some good signs! Possibly him in for Jackson tuesday! I agree Reza needs to look up more but he was trying to create something with nothing and didn't do badly! Simon church so showed good signs...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

You are 100% correct if the guy who spent £10m buying the club plus a £4M survival bonus repeats the same type of transfers and loans as seen so far. I suspect he will up the game over the summer but who knows.

Some are mistaken in thinking that was just another mid table team today. Afraid not as it was a team who have won 17 games and only lost 12 and just 3 points off the play offs. The only reason they won't make the top six is the number of draws they have had. The quality of their strikers was there for all to see.

On Tuesday we play a real mid table team who have nothing to play for. It is 100% in our own hands and we have the players to deliver at least a point.

• Options
    Typical Charlton. Just when you think we have virtually ensured safety we produce an error strewn performance that has us looking anxiously over our shoulder and hoping we can get the win we need on Tuesday night and not have it go to the last game when anything could happen. A poor first goal which Hamer should have saved was followed by Sordell's awful penalty (never fancied him to score, surely Jackson should have taken it?) and 2 more poor goals conceded. At least we now know that a win on Tuesday will ensure safety and we should still survive, but why do we make it so difficult for ourselves.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    One of our many problems is our slow and ponderous attacking play, devoid of any quick movement to confuse or startle the opposition. There were examples again in the first half this afternoon when our man had the ball at his feet with his back to goal in their box - and he passed it backwards for a shot that was blocked. A competent striker in that position would have turned instantly, on his own, and terrified the keeper. Remember Bradley Wright-Phillips?

Paul Walsh, Mike Flanagan, Derek Hales: their ruthless, predatory attacks were glorious proof of natural talent and expert coaching. Today, again, we were passing laterally - "After you, Claude" - without the slightest idea of how to gain any advantage. Even at 1-0 down, neither Cousins, Ajdarevic nor Jackson drove forward to disturb the Blackburn defence. Yet again, Monday to Friday at Sparrows Lane failed us, the fans, on Saturday at The Valley.

• Options
    Overall felt the scoreline flattered them... We weren't that much worse just a couple poor balls or sloppy defending and they punished us for them! The penalty going in would have made it a completely different game as it is it knocked the stuffing out of us! The ref was poor and east stand lino worse! Also disappointed to only sing Valley Floyd road twice...
  • Options

Overall felt the scoreline flattered them... We weren't that much worse just a couple poor balls or sloppy defending and they punished us for them! The penalty going in would have made it a completely different game as it is it knocked the stuffing out of us! The ref was poor and east stand lino worse! Also disappointed to only sing Valley Floyd road twice...

Can only blame yourself for the last bit Canters..
  • Options
    Reza yes has been bad in some matches but i was silently outraged at one fan behind me shouting out after Reza fell over losing the ball " f**k off Reza you terrorist" outragous to hear!!! plus some comments about Sordell and Harriott though no where near as bad made me think my god you try and do better!! plus no wonder Harriott cant play well at home when some fans give him that abuse!!!!!
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    These excuses - "Wilson should have played in front of..." are utterly pathetic. We were completely done over by a mid-table Championship team: 5-1 would have been fair. It amuses me that everyone applauds when we send a cross-field pass that is controlled first time.

For heaven's sake - that's what any professional team does: it's everyday football, and what players are paid to do. We lack skill, imagination, strength, intelligence, gamble and fire. When our opponents are 1-0 up at The Valley they don't have to impress anybody at all - and some Lifers think that but for the ref, or a fluff from Church, we would have won.

Consistently this season and last, we are devoid of muscle, speed and guile all over the pitch. And to start home games like today with just one striker was simply asking for trouble.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    boggzy said:

uie2 said:

no wonder Harriott cant play well at home when some fans give him that abuse!!!!!

Don't care what anyone says, the moronic/impatient/poisonous fans/'atmosphere' at The Valley are a big reason for why certain players and the team play poorly and without/lose confidence at home - more than most of us care to admit.

Spot on boggzy! the team need us behind them winning or losing im fed up with some fans as soon as we concede a goal turn on players! if i was Harriott i would ask to only play in away games!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

These excuses - "Wilson should have played in front of..." are utterly pathetic. We were completely done over by a mid-table Championship team: 5-1 would have been fair. It amuses me that everyone applauds when we send a cross-field pass that is controlled first-time.

For heaven's sake - that's what any professional team does: it's everyday football, and what players are paid to do. We lack skill, imagination, strength, intelligence, gamble and fire. When our opponents are 1-0 up at The Valley they don't have to impress anybody at all - and some Lifers think that but for the ref, or a fluff from Church, we would have won.

Consistently this season and last, we are devoid of muscle, speed and guile all over the pitch. And to start home games like today with just one striker was simply asking for trouble.

Except Blackburn are far from being "mid-table". They have expensive quality strikers on the pitch with more experience on the bench with varied.
    We were never going to win today but a draw would've been nice. Some of our passing is improving with every game but it wasn't the ref's fault or fate that we lost. I agree our team needs to improve in all areas but we just need to do a job on Tuesday first.

• Options
    edited April 2014

These excuses - "Wilson should have played in front of..." are utterly pathetic. We were completely done over by a mid-table Championship team: 5-1 would have been fair. It amuses me that everyone applauds when we send a cross-field pass that is controlled first-time.

Except Blackburn are far from being "mid-table". They have expensive quality strikers on the pitch with more experience on the bench with varied.
    We were never going to win today but a draw would've been nice. Some of our passing is improving with every game but it wasn't the ref's fault or fate that we lost. I agree our team needs to improve in all areas but we just need to do a job on Tuesday first.

You are being disingenuous, seriously_red, if you don't like Blackburn being mid-table. You may appreciate Barnsley, who are facing Crawley and Colchester next season - and who still beat us at The Valley a fortnight ago.

My neighbour in the Lower North turned to me recently during one of our usual vapid performances and said: "We look like we are playing away."

When any team plays at home, it is their duty to teach the opposition a lesson: Have a go at them with physical strength and footballing intelligence; it's a right - and a responsibility, to us, the 15,000 punters urging them on. What did we do today? We played one single striker and passed laterally in midfield, sitting back as if to say to Blackburn: "Come on, if you're hard enough."

Evidently, Blackburn are hard enough, and so are the long list of other teams who have beaten us at home in the last two seasons. When will our managers, coaches and players actually stamp some authority on the opposition?

• Options

These excuses - "Wilson should have played in front of..." are utterly pathetic. We were completely done over by a mid-table Championship team: 5-1 would have been fair. It amuses me that everyone applauds when we send a cross-field pass that is controlled first time.

We were beaten by a better quality, much stronger team - a hugely expensive, much stronger team but for most of the game we were not overawed.
    I thought we looked at our best and most dangerous the last 15-20 minutes, especially when Church and Reza came on and provided the missing width.
    The team is improving and there were more positives than negatives for me.
    Would like to have seen us be tighter at the back, losing 3 goals was a bummer but if Poyet had had better support from his midfield I feel we would have possibly got something from the game. Jackson & Cousins were ineffective and that is a massive loss to any team and put unnecessay pressure on our defence as Blackburn midfield had it easy for much of the game and Poyet often had no options when he should have had.
    Even so, I was boosted by the positives - especially Sordell, Solly, Fox & particularly when Church & Reza came on. COYR!

• Options
    edited April 2014

"One of our many problems is our slow and ponderous attacking play, devoid of any quick movement to confuse or startle the opposition. There were examples again in the first half this afternoon when our man had the ball at his feet with his back to goal in their box - and he passed it backwards for a shot that was blocked. A competent striker in that position would have turned instantly, on his own, and terrified the keeper. Remember Bradley Wright-Phillips?

Paul Walsh, Mike Flanagan, Derek Hales: their ruthless, predatory attacks were glorious proof of natural talent and expert coaching. Today, again, we were passing laterally - "After you, Claude" - without the slightest idea of how to gain any advantage. Even at 1-0 down, neither Cousins, Ajdarevic nor Jackson drove forward to disturb the Blackburn defence. Yet again, Monday to Friday at Sparrows Lane failed us, the fans, on Saturday at The Valley".

In answer to that:
    We don't have the quality at this time - Sordell has suddenly started trying, Church is looking fitter and sharper and we will be better next season after this mess.
    Somebody posted recently that CAFC had to cut their wage bill by 2 million quid on the previous season - and it showed all too often.
    Look at Blackburn's wage bill and you can see why both clubs are where they are.
    Have faith and remember the words of D-Ream!

• Options
    We let in three soft goals yesterday and that's been the story of our season. I have always believed that our destiny is in our own hands but now I'm thinking that if we're gonna stay in this division, we're gonna have to rely on other teams slipping up. Tuesday is a must win game and Charlton being Charlton, we just don't do the big occasion :0(
  • Options
    Thought we played very well for the first half hour without enough pace or flair up front to really create serious chances. Gave away a suicide goal but still stuck at it and had we scored the penalty who knows where the game would have gone. However the second half was desperately disappointing as we lost our shape completely and looked utterly knackered.

I thought Sordell tried very hard. There is a player in there somewhere but I've seen enough to know that I hope his future lies elsewhere.

Jury out on young Fox for me. Wasn't convinced but wont judge him until I've seen him half a dozen times - I thought Wiggins was useless after four games!

Astrit was the big disappointment. Clearly bags of ability but an utter passenger yesterday. Cousins had a poor game and not for the first time recently. Not his fault he is being played out of position and in any normal squad he would be getting a rest by now. Didn't think today was Poyet's finest hour either although the boy will excel a good team. Looked to be cantering POTY from the sheets I saw too. Jacko did well first half but completely hit the wall. Needs a rest.

Harriott chose the wrong option time after time but to his credit didn't let his head drop like he did v Barnsley and the crowd gave him and Marvin a good sen off at half time. I was actually surprised when Harriott came off yesterday and we lost all shape after that with Reza who looked utterly disinterested and the laughable Church. Oh and I only saw him for a few minutes but I hope I never see Petrucci again. What a joker!

As for the defence, I thought both Morro and especially Dervite looked immense first half and then that comic cuts second goal!!!!! Solly was very good and see above for young Fox. For the second game running at home Hamer looked poor in terms of distribution and it looked live as though he totally misjudged the first goal although it didn't look so bad on telly. Couple of fantastic saves late on which protected our goal difference when we could have shipped five or six.

Blackburn looked bigger than us all over the pitch. Solid and well organised. But they had Varney on the bench FFS!!!!! That standard should not be too hard to achieve although Gestede and Rhodes are a class or three above anything we've got.

Looks like other results and that abandonment v Donny will save us. Don't be fooled though. We have a long hard rebuilding job in front of us. But we should take heart from the first half hour yesterday. We can actually play!!!!
  • Options
    How many times have we come out of a game saying that we need Solly and Wilson on the right? How many times has Cousins been criticized for a por game when he's been thrown out of position on the right? We've got two games less and our team selection still seems to be coming from speculation and random names pulled from a hat.
    Blackburn sounded like a class outfit, but other teams around us have picked up unlikely points where we've just rolled over and died.
    Powell got criticised and rightly so, for playing square pegs in round holes, and Jose, who for me is doing a better job, persists in this madness.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

No need for the sarcasm, a bit of realism and not looking through rose tinted glasses.
  • Options
    vff said:

Kap10 said:

Elfsborg Addick is entitled to their opinion. The team needs a lot of work in the close season. The strategy regarding sales and player recruitment, does not inspire a lot of confidence so far. Hopefully that will change but I can understand Elfsborg Addick half glass emptyness.
    Thank you very much vff