Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

West Ham

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Actually enjoyed our sojourn at Upton Park.

No more so than when Simon Webster scored the first goal in a 2-0 win (was it Southend?) at 40/1
  • Options
    I remember Simon Webster's last minute winner against Bristol City at Upton Park.  A rocket into the top corner. 
  • Options
    E_cafc said:
    I remember Simon Webster's last minute winner against Bristol City at Upton Park.  A rocket into the top corner. 
    22nd February 1992. 
    3 days after my first son was born.
    I went to see wife & baby in hospital after the game.
    I told her all about Webbo's magnificent winner.
    Strangely, she wasn't impressed at all.
    No legover then?
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Actually enjoyed our sojourn at Upton Park.

No more so than when Simon Webster scored the first goal in a 2-0 win (was it Southend?) at 40/1
    David Whyte-Whyte-Whyte scoring against Leicester was a good memory

Anthony Barness's own goal was less good!
  • Options
    The KUMB thread discussing West Ham’s woes, as has already been said, is quite a read: https://www.kumb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=164789&start=13740#p5611072
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    I like West Ham but they have lost their soul since moving.
  • Options
    Never forgave them for taking Defoe off us.  Maybe irrational but there you go.  Always found them to have a high proportion of racist fans too.  Hope they go down and keep on falling.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They've splashed more money. Tomas Soucek from Slavia Prague. I asked my neighbour Mad Vincent (who came to Wembley with me in May) if he thought he was the right guy for an English relegation battle. Not a chance, was his verdict. Apparently the deal is £4m now, and if they stay up they keep him and pay a total of £18m. A record for a  Czech player. Vincent reckons he's worth no more than £5m. Full on panic at the Taxpayers' Stadium.

• Options
    It's definitely a perfect storm that is brewing, if they were to slip and head into the relegation spots the hatred around the stadium could spill over again and playing in that atmosphere is perfect for all the others around them in a relegation battle. 

Also reading those comments I do feel sorry for them, we know what it is like to lose your home, and although that is not strictly what has happened to them it must be pretty rough to go to an athletics stadium and leave behind a proper stadium in the heart of the community. 

• Options
    Quality
  • Options
    They've splashed more money. Tomas Soucek from Slavia Prague. I asked my neighbour Mad Vincent (who came to Wembley with me in May) if he thought he was the right guy for an English relegation battle. Not a chance, was his verdict. Apparently the deal is £4m now, and if they stay up they keep him and pay a total of £18m. A record for a  Czech player. Vincent reckons he's worth no more than £5m. Full on panic at the Taxpayers' Stadium.

29 goals from midfield in the last season and a half. Yeah it's only Czech football but that's still a pretty good record.
  • Options

29 goals from midfield in the last season and a half. Yeah it's only Czech football but that's still a pretty good record.
    Don't get me wrong, my neighbour is not saying he isn't a good player. (although how good, we'll come to). But the play-offs was not his first visit to New Wembley, being in London often on work he also got himself a ticket to the England-Czech game, which we won 5-0. He said Soucek was probably the worst performer on the night.The issue is attitude. Czechs don't travel well, and not just in football. There are only 40,000 Czechs living in the UK. They prefer their home and their own, even if they know they could make bigger money elsewhere. Put them all together in a team and they can battle, and can surprise. As individuals in a multi-national dressing room they will tend to shrink into themselves. Take West Ham's last Czech, Tomas Repka. What a joke he was. Yet when he returned to Sparta, and I saw him live, playing as a sweeper, he showed a reading of the game, and distribution skills, that made me think I was watching a different player.

At Slavia the CEO, a national level political twat, is going round boasting about the size of the transfer fee for Soucek. He's certainly got the skill set for a low end FAPL side, but equally, he'd interest a Bundesliga side (where more Czechs do go), but they'd never have paid more than about £6-7m for him. 

I might be wrong, and he turns out to be the guy whose goals from midfield keep them up. But I don't think they've done due diligence on how he will settle, because they don't want to admit to themselves, let alone to him, that he's walking into a cauldron of anger and frustration.
  • Options

Sympathy for their situation?  Ha, f*ck them all.

Take West Ham's last Czech, Tomas Repka. What a joke he was. 
    He's in prison at the moment, I think I'm correct in saying.  I read it somewhere or other...

• Options
    West Ham boss David Moyes says he wants to sign "young, attractive and hungry players" who have a resale value. (Guardian)

dirty bastard
    They tried to go that with Gedson Fernandes and look where he ended up?
  • Options

Don't get me wrong, my neighbour is not saying he isn't a good player. (although how good, we'll come to). But the play-offs was not his first visit to New Wembley, being in London often on work he also got himself a ticket to the England-Czech game, which we won 5-0. He said Soucek was probably the worst performer on the night.The issue is attitude. Czechs don't travel well, and not just in football. There are only 40,000 Czechs living in the UK. They prefer their home and their own, even if they know they could make bigger money elsewhere. Put them all together in a team and they can battle, and can surprise. As individuals in a multi-national dressing room they will tend to shrink into themselves. Take West Ham's last Czech, Tomas Repka. What a joke he was. Yet when he returned to Sparta, and I saw him live, playing as a sweeper, he showed a reading of the game, and distribution skills, that made me think I was watching a different player.

At Slavia the CEO, a national level political twat, is going round boasting about the size of the transfer fee for Soucek. He's certainly got the skill set for a low end FAPL side, but equally, he'd interest a Bundesliga side (where more Czechs do go), but they'd never have paid more than about £6-7m for him. 

I might be wrong, and he turns out to be the guy whose goals from midfield keep them up. But I don't think they've done due diligence on how he will settle, because they don't want to admit to themselves, let alone to him, that he's walking into a cauldron of anger and frustration.
    Tomas Repka played in Italy and England for almost 9 years, playing over 280 games. Not exactly a joke.

West ham can't compete for big name players so they have to look at the smaller nations for talent. BBC are reporting the fee as 13m after add ons, in todays market that's peanuts.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Tomas Repka played in Italy and England for almost 9 years, playing over 280 games. Not exactly a joke.

West ham can't compete for big name players so they have to look at the smaller nations for talent. BBC are reporting the fee as 13m after add ons, in todays market that's peanuts.
    You've got a short memory. When we were due to play them in the FAPL, we were praying that he would start for them. If he didnt score an own goal he'd be good for at least a yellow in the first 10 mins. Yep, he's doing time now @JohnBoyUK , he's an arsehole. Saw him once in my local restaurant at lunchtime, had the air of the kind of bloke you give a wide berth to in a dodgy boozer. Enjoy his Wikipedia re all the above...https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomáš_Řepka

I can't comment on the BBC's version of the fee, doubtless it will be picked up by the local press as something to beat the CEO with. The point is that you think £13-18m is "nothing" because you are in England, but nobody else was interested at that sort of price. If they were, Slavia wouldnt have agreed to West Ham's "try before you buy" deal, would they?
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    It's not a proper survey. It's a pile of crap designed by Premier Inn to get their name about.  What the headlines say aren't what it measured.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    It's not a proper survey. It's a pile of crap designed by Premier Inn to get their name about.  What the headlines say aren't what it measured.
    lol I know, I know...just thought it was good timing :)
  • Options
    So this tweet is from the aforementioned weapons grade idiot who runs Slavia (a division of the People's Republic of China), and he is bragging that the fee is (converted to £) £3.8m for the rest of the season and then another £13.7 if they keep him. PLUS unspecified add-ons.

BTW the dumpy geezer is not the CEO but Pavel Paska, the Czech "super" agent. Basically no footballers leave the country without the delivery of large wonga to his (probably Swiss) bank account.

Well, fellow UK taxpayers, I am sure you are all delighted and wish both Tomas and West Ham well

• Options
    Comfortable 2-0 win for Liverpool tonight. Saturday against Brighton is a must win for them a bit like our game against Barnsley
  • Options
    Comfortable 2-0 win for Liverpool tonight. Saturday against Brighton is a must win for them a bit like our game against Barnsley
    Awe gutted.  AND i hate a bin dipper as well!
  • Options
    If they go down there’s no chance we get Cullen back next season
  • Options
    If they go down there’s no chance we get Cullen back next season
    Any reason to think we'd get him back anyway?