Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

RUMOURs - Shiny and new - Spring/Summer 2014

Comments

• He can certainly finish.
  • Valley11 said:

He can certainly finish.

So could Polish Pete!
  • Dortmund offered him a contract as a trainee (basically the sort of contracts we give to our youth players), he was tempted to go but opted to join Ajaccio and play full time in the first team.

I guess he sees us as a first team opportunity rather than moving to someone's reserves.
  • DeeBee said:

If he was on trial at Dortmund I doubt he's a mug

Was actually offered a deal by Dortmund too and turned them down.
    His dad tweeted someone that he turned Dortmund down as he did not understand German
  • DeeBee said:

4 bowman said:

But has anyone asked the question why he turned down Dortmund and why (if he is as good as people claim ) he is targetting Brentford or Charlton ? Not knocking anything here just seems a bit odd!

From what the journo said he favoured the idea of guaranteed first team football
    He's obviously not seen Churchy tucking them away for fun. Oh, wait, nobody has

• Rothko said:

C'mon, can we get away from this idea that every other second tier in Europe is inferior to the Championship. Ligue 2 is of a pretty decent quality

I dont think its a case of every 2nd Tier being inferior to the Championship... I think mostly on the continent you can be given a bit of time and space and being lightweight isnt as much of a problem, here in the Championship your tightly marked, your given no time and the Defenders are huge making it very physical and can be a problem if your light.

Doesnt mean that attractive Football cant be played at this level in England but Reza proved himself that it can be difficult and he came from the Belgian top tier.
  • edited August 2014
    dickplumb said:

Talal said:

dickplumb said:

I heard we asked the question about possibility of loan for bamford from Chelsea

I'd rather have Bamford over Delort.
    Have you seen Delort play then?

Isn't that his point? Bamford is proven, Delort isn't. I want them both, gimme gimme gimme.
    But the whole point is how can you compare when you haven't seen one of them play?
    Also I would rather see a permanent signing than a Chelsea loanee.
    A comparison isn't necessary if you're happy with one of their goalscoring records in a certain division. If Reza wasn't already our player and we were heavily linked with him after the WC everyone would be wetting themselves in the same way we're doing with Delort though we now know in reality he's not all that special in the championship.
    I'm not anti Delort at all and hope we get him but I can understand the other point of view.
  • French leagues have a lot of African players, who are big, quick and strong. The Dutch leagues are more technical. Think Delort and PP are two completely different style of player.
  • Sponsored links:

• Anyone know what standard the French second division actually compares to? Assuming it is equivalent of League One then that seems a good strike rate and whilst you can point to BWP scoring a lot in League 1 I don't think his YouTube clips would show the same quality finishes as this chap which must give him a decent chance of success with us.

It's shite I watched RC Lens race for promotion a couple of times and it was awful and they did eventually go up.
  • edited August 2014
    People are equating division 2 in France with league 1 here. The top scorers last year were :

1 Sam Baldock 24 Bristol City
    1 Britt Assombalonga 24 Peterborough United
    3 Kieran Agard 22 Rotherham United

What kind of fee and wages would these three command if we wanted to sign them ? Compared with the reported / speculated fee for Delort.

Fwiw. I would equate the French 2nd division more akin to bottom half Championship top six league one.

• If he's been properly scouted I have no problem with whichever league he comes from. It was obvious Yann and Solly were far too good for League One, both in their first season of regular football in England.
  • It will be a step up for him, Champ is a tough league (tougher than the French L2) but we have to take a gamble and from the looks of him he's agile (more so than Reza) got a belter of a shot on him (far more so than Church) and has decent technique (more so than most).

He's got every chance of getting 10-15 if given a run, as does Igor, and will learn whilst inevitably bulking up a bit to make him more competitive and suited to the English style.

He's the sort of ambitious purchase we haven't made for a while. Sometimes they dont come off but at least old Rolly is dishing out some decent cash to have a go.

If this guys signs I'll be happy to give him a while to bed in as with all the other players, but him and a new mid (as hinted by AA) would give us a very decent chance of a great finish once everyone gels.

Am properly excited at the mo, more so than perhaps our L1 winning season.
  • Dunno why we never made a bid for Harry Arter from Bournemouth.. Brilliant playmaker, creative type that we're lacking, young and would fit that number 8 role perfectly. Plus they bought dan gosling over the summer so arter's become expendable and they're in debt (hence why they sold grabban).. Would have been a great addition..

Not in debt, they're owned by a Russian oligarch and received 7.5 million from Southampton selling lallana. They're rolling in it at the moment.

Plus, I don't think arter would be interested in coming back.
    http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/27224806. They are in big debt, it's just mostly owed to companies their owner owns. Why would they have sold Grabban if they weren't in some form of debt? He was brilliant last season..
  • Addicted said:

It will be a step up for him, Champ is a tough league (tougher than the French L2) but we have to take a gamble and from the looks of him he's agile (more so than Reza) got a belter of a shot on him (far more so than Church) and has decent technique (more so than most).

He's got every chance of getting 10-15 if given a run, as does Igor, and will learn whilst inevitably bulking up a bit to make him more competitive and suited to the English style.

He's the sort of ambitious purchase we haven't made for a while. Sometimes they dont come off but at least old Rolly is dishing out some decent cash to have a go.

If this guys signs I'll be happy to give him a while to bed in as with all the other players, but him and a new mid (as hinted by AA) would give us a very decent chance of a great finish once everyone gels.

Am properly excited at the mo, more so than perhaps our L1 winning season.

I'm not sure if he'd need to bulk up too much though, from the (very limited) amount that I've seen of him on YouTube he seems pretty robust. The one thing I've noticed from those YouTube videos is that he seems to get more space and time on the ball which is something he'll need to be able to perform without in England. Adapting his game to cope with that style of play will be more challenging that putting on some muscle in the gym and that's the biggest risk for me.
  • You could leave Simon Church on his own for 12 months and he still wouldn't come up with something like that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Just read the Delort deal's already been finalised. We've agreed a figure of around 3 million euros for him with Tours on a 5-year deal and he's apparently touring round the facilities before he signs either today or tomorrow!
  • More than a touch of the Kezman about him IMO. Prolific and needs to make the step up. Difference is he is likely to be joining a club that doesn't have the weight of expectation of a Chelsea so hopefully the smaller step will be beneficial for all concerned. That is of course if he actually signs
  • Dunno why we never made a bid for Harry Arter from Bournemouth.. Brilliant playmaker, creative type that we're lacking, young and would fit that number 8 role perfectly. Plus they bought dan gosling over the summer so arter's become expendable and they're in debt (hence why they sold grabban).. Would have been a great addition..

Not in debt, they're owned by a Russian oligarch and received 7.5 million from Southampton selling lallana. They're rolling in it at the moment.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/27224806. They are in big debt, it's just mostly owed to companies their owner owns. Why would they have sold Grabban if they weren't in some form of debt? He was brilliant last season..
    I know it sounds crazy, but £15 million in football is not a lot of debt. We are in more debt for instance.

The reason they sold grabban was financial FairPlay rather than debt.
  • edited August 2014
    Age 20 so another for the development squad ? He's Belgian so should have at least have some knowledge of Peeters reputation. Wolves do have an impressive set up though.
  • Just 1 appearance for Gent, so development squad transfer i would imagine.
  • noticed it has been mentioned on twitter on @transfer_news24 which is dedicated to the championship, they are normally very accurate as well, they have said Charlton are close to signing Tours striker Andy Delort in a €3m deal

I know it sounds crazy, but £15 million in football is not a lot of debt. We are in more debt for instance.

The reason they sold grabban was financial FairPlay rather than debt.
    It's a considerable amount of debt for any business when your turnover is only around £5m.
  • edited August 2014

noticed it has been mentioned on twitter on @transfer_news24 which is dedicated to the championship, they are normally very accurate as well, they have said Charlton are close to signing Tours striker Andy Delort in a €3m deal

Have you been stuck down a well mate?
    I put that message on there 35 minutes after the posted it, not that long, I could not do it straight away was a bit busy, its a little thing called work mate, add to that not one person has mentioned that twitter page, which I only did because as I said its reliable, probably more reliable than a French newspaper no one has heard off
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!