Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

(Belgian) Bob Peeters *CONFIRMED New Head Coach (pg 37)*

Comments

• Options
    It could also be a case of Peeters just telling a fan what he wants to hear so he can just enjoy his journey to Ebbsfleet.
  • Options

Rothko said:

If you want to make money, you do it in the Premier League and not with the tiny TV pool Belgium has in the Champions League

That is clear (to a lot more people than just @seriously_red ) however RD is not stupid and he knows perfectly well that he cannot possibly say this while he is the owner of Standard Liege. What Peeters has allegedly said will come as great surprise to, for example, Douglas De Coninck, the Belgian journalist and Standard fan, who writes for the Trust. he continues to describe Standard as "the mothership" of the network.

The more I think about it, the more I think @Bedsaddick is right to be sceptical about this whole alleged discussion.

Thank you Prague. The goal must be to regain premier League status at some stage - why else would Duchatelet pay £14M for a club losing £6M per year? While football is big in Spain and Italy the TV deals are done on an individual club basis so Alcorcon and the Italian club have little chance of TV riches with their current profile. Everyone knows that the play-off final is one of the richest games in world sport as it guarantees £120M in TV money even if you come straight back down again.
    Anyone linked to Liege will talk them up as at the head of the network simply because they wouldn't want to acknowledge the possibility of sharing the limelight. And they certainly would only ever want to be passing over more than spare resources. That is why we need either a director of football for the whole network or someone at CAFC who can state the case for Charlton. This summer and the January window will tell us a lot more about how the network shapes up in terms of loans and transfers.
    I actually think that the biggest tension will come if CAFC were promoted. Duchatelet will then have to decide whether to let the club struggle or do what it takes to stay up - that is an expensive game in terms of salaries and player acquisition but he may calculate that it is better than being a yo-yo club.
    Does that then mean that the best Liege players become fair game for CAFC on the basis they can help us stay up AND they add to their value by being exposed on one of the biggest sports TV deals on the planet?

• Options
    edited June 2014

I think you will find @Henry Irving that I am not alone in pointing out that CAFC is in line for the biggest prize in the network. The only reason anyone would spend real money acquiring CAFC is for the academy and the chance to attain premier league status even if only for a year.
    All this talk of bumpy roads is fairly meaningless and about as precise as a fecking horoscope! The plan three years ago was to regain premier league status, just that the previous owners couldn't or wouldn't fund the ambition. We now have an owner who can afford it and has a clear emphasis on youth and the academy.
    If Morrison and Gomez sign then that's two more to complete the set for next season.it won't all be plain sailing but following Charlton never has - if you're going to run crying everytime we fail to sign a player or renew one of our own then buy some kleenex. If you're suggesting that Duchatelet runs an oversized squad full of players not good enough for the championship then I suggest you find a way to fund £1-2M per annum for the cost of that. Having loads of reserve quality players on the payroll doesn't sell seats.
    The trouble with endless criticism of how the owner won't shell out or lose the maximum allowed under FFP is that you want the owner to spend millions on your hobby. Just so that the CAFC owner can lose as much money as the board at Forest, Ipswich etc. I know it was different when you were on the board and Pardew was given enough budget to sign 4,000 players to nearly wipe the club out...and that with the proceeds of Darren Bent sale and two years parachute money! But I prefer the football and non football management to earn their keep and make the club sustainable. Sell Stephens...play Poyet...he goes and pick up a fee...find someone else... This way we will be in the transfer and loan market in 2015 which is more than I can say for Bournemouth and others.

You've got this bit completely the wrong way round. CAFC isn't our hobby, as you assert - it's Duchatelet's hobby. He is a fantastically wealthy man with a personal fortune estimated at £420m, who bought our club for a paltry £18m and promptly declared that he wasn't going to spend large amounts on transfer fees or players' wages.

Academy players are cheap to run - as is a young manager from a minor Belgian club. This is further evidence of Duchatelet's lack of ambition for CAFC. With our respectable history, impressive stadium, and solid regular support of 15,000 we ought to be aiming at least for the play-offs next season - anything less would be failure. To achieve the heights we must buy good players and reward them well - something that Duchatelet has clearly ruled out.

• Options

I think you will find @Henry Irving that I am not alone in pointing out that CAFC is in line for the biggest prize in the network. The only reason anyone would spend real money acquiring CAFC is for the academy and the chance to attain premier league status even if only for a year.
    All this talk of bumpy roads is fairly meaningless and about as precise as a fecking horoscope! The plan three years ago was to regain premier league status, just that the previous owners couldn't or wouldn't fund the ambition. We now have an owner who can afford it and has a clear emphasis on youth and the academy.
    If Morrison and Gomez sign then that's two more to complete the set for next season.it won't all be plain sailing but following Charlton never has - if you're going to run crying everytime we fail to sign a player or renew one of our own then buy some kleenex. If you're suggesting that Duchatelet runs an oversized squad full of players not good enough for the championship then I suggest you find a way to fund £1-2M per annum for the cost of that. Having loads of reserve quality players on the payroll doesn't sell seats.
    The trouble with endless criticism of how the owner won't shell out or lose the maximum allowed under FFP is that you want the owner to spend millions on your hobby. Just so that the CAFC owner can lose as much money as the board at Forest, Ipswich etc. I know it was different when you were on the board and Pardew was given enough budget to sign 4,000 players to nearly wipe the club out...and that with the proceeds of Darren Bent sale and two years parachute money! But I prefer the football and non football management to earn their keep and make the club sustainable. Sell Stephens...play Poyet...he goes and pick up a fee...find someone else... This way we will be in the transfer and loan market in 2015 which is more than I can say for Bournemouth and others.

You've got this bit completely the wrong way round. CAFC isn't our hobby, as you assert - it's Duchatelet's hobby. He is a fantastically wealthy man with a personal fortune estimated at £420m, who bought our club for a paltry £18m and promptly declared that he wasn't going to spend large amounts on transfer fees or players' wages.

Academy players are cheap to run - as is a young manager from a minor Belgian club. This is further evidence of Duchatelet's lack of ambition for CAFC. With our respectable history, impressive stadium, and solid regular support of 15,000 we ought to be aiming at least for the play-offs next season - anything less would be failure. To achieve the heights we must buy good players and reward them well - something that Duchatelet has clearly ruled out.

I'm not thinking playoffs at all. New manager, new squad, I'm thinking 18th would be success.

• Options
    vffvff
    edited June 2014
    Thuram is a terrible keeper who has poor positioning, and has a fundamental weakness for the English game, which is an inability to catch the ball. He also has a very poor attitude and overinflated sense of his own ability. He has also comitted a fundamental error, in refusing to travel with the team. He has also allgedly apparently bad mouthed the club and supporters to other Standard Liege players. If Thuram showed up and was keeping our great young keeper, Pope out of the team to boot, he would likely be shredded by the Charlton crowd, who do not take fools on the pitch lightly.

I am not sure what Thuram could do to turn things around. Liege players with good attitudes who work hard are welcome.
  • Options

A friend of mind was often mistaken for Carlo Ancelotti. He always denied it. However, in one Italian restaurant the waiters were so insistent that he eventually agreed that he really was Ancelotti after all. It turned out to be great fun and, of course, he got great service.

Now, who has been pretending to be Bob Peeters ..........

Conversely when I was on honeymoon, Deadly Doug Ellis was staying in the next door hotel complex. Apparently he was there every year, and tended to let everyone know what an important guest he was. A fellow English guest joined him in the sauna and took great delight in deliberately refusing to accept that DE was whom he claimed to be.

Anyway back to this story. Is the consensus that we have been taken in?
  • Options
    Won't Standard get big TV payout from champions league then if they get through qualifying round. Think it's more likely than us getting to premier this season although palace managed it and they are shit. Think your being harsh on thuram he only played three games and as for not catching the ball his a European goalie they don't catch the ball. I remember bobby bolder getting loads of stick like that at start of his career for us especially in arsenal away game which I think was only his second game. Remember being approached by selwin frogget in underground looking to beat up a arsenal fan he thought I had arsenal shirt on because collers were the same does he still go not seen him for years and Steve the skinhead.
  • Options
    It's not just catching the ball with Thuram that is the problem though. Every aspect of his game is just awful.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2014
    smells like bullshit if i was being honest.
    "we need a striker Bob"
    "dont worry i have this shit hot striker coming over"
  • Options

Won't Standard get big TV payout from champions league then if they get through qualifying round. Think it's more likely than us getting to premier this season although palace managed it and they are shit. Think your being harsh on thuram he only played three games and as for not catching the ball his a European goalie they don't catch the ball. I remember bobby bolder getting loads of stick like that at start of his career for us especially in arsenal away game which I think was only his second game. Remember being approached by selwin frogget in underground looking to beat up a arsenal fan he thought I had arsenal shirt on because collers were the same does he still go not seen him for years and Steve the skinhead.

Nope, Champions League payments depend on the country your from, and the domestic deal, so there is a base of around €8m, but the real money is in the national rights part, and a Belgium club might make €2m, while a Premier League could might take home €20m from being in the Champions League group.
  • Options
    edited June 2014

A friend of mind was often mistaken for Carlo Ancelotti. He always denied it. However, in one Italian restaurant the waiters were so insistent that he eventually agreed that he really was Ancelotti after all. It turned out to be great fun and, of course, he got great service.

Now, who has been pretending to be Bob Peeters ..........

Anyway back to this story. Is the consensus that we have been taken in?
    Not taken in, IMO, but perhaps we are giving too much credence to one casual conversation where BP is trying to be friendly and doesn't expect it to appear on the internet. Remember his previous experience of English fans was a bunch of knuckle dragging spanners so he might not have realised that Charlton fans can read and write : - )

I agree that Charlton has the greater POTENTIAL but at the moment Standard are in a much better place. The jump for us to reach the Premiership will be huge and long term, especially if we are cutting back on first team and other spending as it seems we are. Not impossible, just difficult.

Yes Standard have done well but always remember Standard are one of the biggest and most successful clubs in Belgium. They have won the league 10 times. The success RD has brought them is relative.

I think Roland will be good for Charlton long term but it will be long term ie 3 or 4 years.

The concern, if you think what BP is said is accurate, is that RD is willing to shift emphasis from SL to CAFC even more quickly than he did from Sain Truvin to Standard. If so then how patient will he be if it takes 3, 4 , 5 or more years to get Charlton to the Premiership?

• Options
    It might take 5 years, but by then we'll be on to the next TV deal in the Premier League, where finishing bottom might earn you £100m instead of the current £60m, and that alone will keep RD interested.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Rothko said:

It might take 5 years, but by then we'll be on to the next TV deal in the Premier League, where finishing bottom might earn you £100m instead of the current £60m, and that alone will keep RD interested.

I agree but to even finish bottom you need to get up first. QPR had parachute money, Burnley sold players for big fees and replaced them with good players at lower but still substantial fees, Leicester threw money at it as did Cardiff and Hull the year before. Palace got the Zaha money and had wiped their debt with another administration to end up with three fans willing to bankroll them.

RD appears (and it is appears as we still don't have a firm statement) wants to do it another way. Cutting costs, letting FFP drag other clubs closer to use and us a mix of academy kids and network players to get up. Might work, might not. Might work straight away, might take a few years.

But Roland does not appear to be that patient with managers so how patient is he with Clubs?
  • Options
    i really don't get why people say 18th is a success....18th is the bare minimum.

if we finish 18th we're gonna have another shiiiiiiiiiiit season.

top six is a success, 7-14 a good season, 15-24 a loada old ball bags
  • Options
    i honestly don't think there is much truth in that statement on Facebook

I cannot see bob peeters going into that much detail with a random Charlton fan on a train
  • Options

I cannot see bob peeters going into that much detail with a random Charlton fan on a train

What else is there to do for half an hour or so
  • Options
    Richard J said:

I then asked about duchatelet and how we DONT want to be a feeder club for standard and he said he's spoke to the owner and that because they lost the league last year and he's not a massive fan of Belgium football anymore he's priority is gonna be Charlton and hopefully in 3 years we can be prem again and that the owner emails him and rings him up to 3 times a day

Lol
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

What else is there to do for half an hour or so
    Can you honestly see a manager giving away that much ? to a random

come on .. there is probs some element of truth in that but definitely not all of it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I struggle to believe that entire conversation happened, which is a shame, as BP would already be a point up, if he really is the type to just respect & tell fans the facts of the situation.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I think it was more on the lines of - " Good Luck at Charlton Bob"
    " These
    amazing waffles are ready cooked and are made in Belgium"
  • Options
    I'll be taking it with a pinch of salt, I just struggle to believe anyone would go into that much detail with a complete stranger.
  • Options
    Just seen on Twitter that they have just sat down to conduct a video interview !!
  • Options
    magic1999 said:

Just seen on Twitter that they have just sat down to conduct a video interview !!

My guess would be with Bob as he was travelling over on the Eurostar yesterday but who knows

• Options
    I've won that lottery five times now, each time i have paid out the £699 fee to collect my money but it's never come. If i win it again I'm going to pay the £1,399 express money transfer fee just to make sure. Bloody banks eh grrrr
  • Options
    Yeah sorry peeps yes they ahve just sat down with BP