Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris O'Grady linked (rumoured £500k bid accepted)

Comments

• Options

Mixed feelings on this. Clearly we want/need new blood. I am confident that we'll have offered a salary that most of us here would be overjoyed to earn.

RD is clearly not prepared to pay silly money, esp given FFP and our ongoing losses. Trouble is, he is in a minority in that respect. All very well waiting for sanity to prevail, but meanwhile our players targets move on.

Championship getting more like the Prem in that big-spending clubs are in another league in terms of transfers - hugely frustrating and worrying

How do we know it's silly money O'Grady is after?
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Presumably this is just the Financial Fair Play Regulations meaning that we can't offer O'Grady the same money that other clubs can, not to mention Duchatelet nobly standing up to yet another mercenary footballer, as he has already done so effectively with Dorian Dervite and Ben Hamer.

Getting (even more) embarrassing now.

Cynic!
  • Options

Mixed feelings on this. Clearly we want/need new blood. I am confident that we'll have offered a salary that most of us here would be overjoyed to earn.

RD is clearly not prepared to pay silly money, esp given FFP and our ongoing losses. Trouble is, he is in a minority in that respect. All very well waiting for sanity to prevail, but meanwhile our players targets move on.

Championship getting more like the Prem in that big-spending clubs are in another league in terms of transfers - hugely frustrating and worrying

How do we know it's silly money O'Grady is after?
    how do we know he's not, especially when his agent has been quoted in saying he's had plenty of interest.

I would like us to sign him but at the same time I don't want our pants pulled down.

• Options
    Especially to then have cog as the next stock to batter rd with
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I don't see why are so upset about missing out on him ? He has had 1 good season in 10 ...

If cause of that he thinks he is a big fish and can demand what he wants from us .. He can do one
  • Options

Especially to then have cog as the next stock to batter rd with

A few were delighted to use COG as a feather duster to tickle RDs balls.

Read back to the first view pages and it was "this proves we don't only buy network players". "500k proves we're spending big".

Lots of counting of chickens before they had hatched.

And now some people going OTT the other way.

Deals aren't done until they are done. They break down for lots of reasons.

One signing won't prove RD is god and one missed signing won't make him satan.
    However, its not now 'one missed signing' - and he certainly doesnt seem to have let Kermy/Stephens/Hamer/Dervite go whilst kicking and screaming.

But, as someone else said, it's all ok, he's fixing the pitch !
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

Simon E said:

I think we're missing a piece of the puzzle with the theories. It says that a bid was accepted, but that the structure of that amount is being problematic. Or in other words, we want to pay installments and Barnsley wany the cash up front. Perhaps?

The personal terms is another issue entirely.

Exactly. We have, from the piece, not even talked terms with COG or his agent yet. It is about how we stagger the payments, not the amount, or the salary.

Yep I agree with this also. I don't think the players wages will be a problem so much....it's obviously more to do with the fact we wanna pay in dribs and drabs and Barnsley want, at the very least, larger installments.

RD, if you want the player, pay the f******* money and stop fannying about for christs sake.

• Options
    MrLargo said:

Well I'd say it's getting embarrassing for Duchatelet. Virtually everyone who has left the club since he arrived has had something negative to say about him, he has far failed to bring in a single player whose been better than the one they replaced, most of the players he's bought in have been of laughable quality and this appears to be the second occasion (after Max Gradel) when rumours have been circulated that we're in for a half decent player and the second occasion when it seems that there's absolutely no danger of us signing him. Incidentally I notice that we don't seem to be following up our alleged interest in Gradel now the window's open again. I'd say all of that is pretty embarrassing.

Obviously Duchatelet won't be embarrassed, because he clearly doesn't give a monkeys about Charlton.

But he has fixed the pitch, so everything's just great.

We were shit last season. Yes - several players have departed but that is more about money than anything else.
    Why should we be forced to pay silly money because players demand it. COG is an option. Safe to say his agent has played the game and decided to go public - something CAFC just don't do. This has resulted either a bidding war or additional interest so he has someone to play our offer against. We won't be held to ransom so if we lose out - so be it. Each player has a value in the eyes of RD and he has proven he won't take the soft option and just accept it.

Gradel had no intention of ever coming to us. HE was all about a big pay cheque and was waiting for West Ham to come and get him. Again I suspect his agent put it out there to bump up the price.

But I am sure you would be delighted if Slater and Jiminez were still running the show and the pitch was submerged in mud. And we had no money. No signings - either rumoured or not. And no sponsorship. And the training ground was still a mess.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Obviously there are no facts, but I can't imagine he's asking for that much? We NEED a goal scorer, surely he is worth it
  • Options
    unfortunately RD has walked into footballs madhouse and wants to play scrooge
    so we'll be the most sensibly run club in the Rymans in a few years time if he doesn't want to pay up
    but he's a clever man and I'm sure he knows that running things on a tight ship will see you struggle and waiting for clubs to implode wont see us promoted , so who knows whether his admirable approach to austerity will work
    but hopefully he realises sooner rather than later that he will have to take a bit of gamble with some dough to get us heading in the right direction

• Options
    Sadly I am beginning to believe MrLargos last post is bang on the money. Smoke and mirrors.

We have publicly stated we want all our business completed by end of June....time is running out so I look forward to plenty of activity in the next 4 weeks.
  • Options
    DMCDMC
    edited June 2014
    MrLargo said:

Swisdom said:

Safe to say his agent has played the game and decided to go public - something CAFC just don't do.

But this story was originally published by Rich Cawley at the South London Press, who is renowned for getting his info from inside the club. So going public is exactly what CAFC have done. With Gradel the board were getting stick about the sale of Kerm so they leaked a story implying that we were interested in a reasonable player. It didn't materialise. This time round, an interview with Alex Dyer is published in which he is scathing about Duchatelet, surprise surprise a story is leaked from within the club implying that we're after a decent player, and now it looks like it won't materialise. He's been in charge for 6 months, not one decent player has arrived in that time.

Wait till Poyet inevitably leaves, you'll be able to read about our supposed interest in Cesc Fabregas in the SLP the same day.

As for not letting players hold us to ransom, there's a vast difference between that and being totally unrealistic with the money your offering.
    Exactly. There is no way we would be happy to pay a generous sum of money for a player but not be able to afford his cheap wages from a team thats been relegated. Its some cunning work but thats been tried one time to many from RD/Katrien. Im sure this sort of thing is also part of the reason Powell let his feelings known to Duchatelet.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Been of the same view for a while.

IMO, It's going to be a long and bumpy ride, maybe three or four years of bumpiness.

Losing players and managers, unfathomable signings, staff leaving with barely a thank you, reactive communications (if we're lucky).

Get used to it.

But we might also get some stability. Not in terms of management or squad but budget and steady and very unspectacular investment.

I don't think it has to be that way or even should be that way. And I certainly don't think we should just accept it

As John Lennon said

"Nobody told there'd be days like these, strange days indeed"
  • Options
    Makes me wonder how hard we tried to sign/loan Gradel, Best and Wickham.

Why don't Championship class strikers want to join us?
  • Options
    We will not be the only club that tries to cut back on excessive wages for average players. I will be quite happy to have six ex youth team players in the 1st team squad (including Wilson.) But we have all suffered by not having a decent striker this past year and losing Yan has only made matters worse. So get yer cheque book out RD. We have to have a striker.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Makes me wonder how hard we tried to sign/loan Gradel, Best and Wickham.

Why don't Championship class strikers want to join us?

Because we make them shit
  • Options
    I don't think RD wanted a COG in the network.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I couldn't care a fig if we sign O'Grady. He played 40 times for Barnsley last season and scored 15 goals - 4 or 5 of which were pens. I wouldn't be surprised if Sordell's ratio is better and he is 5 years younger.

Mind you if we can't attract somebody of his calibre - what chance do we have of getting anybody better?
  • Options

I couldn't care a fig if we sign O'Grady. He played 40 times for Barnsley last season and scored 15 goals - 4 or 5 of which were pens. I wouldn't be surprised if Sordell's ratio is better and he is 5 years younger.

Mind you if we can't attract somebody of his calibre - what chance do we have of getting anybody better?ote>

Ouch

• Options
    edited June 2014
    I'm a bit puzzled by this thread. I posted the comment below a few days back;

"Seen a fair bit of O'Grady. Struggled early in his career, but came good under the mercurial Keith Hill at Rochdale and was fantastic for them when they got promoted from League 2 in 2009/10 and then again the following season when they finished 9th in Division 1. That said, I was doubtful he'd be good enough for the Championship and I'm afraid that Wednesday's decision to move him on to Barnsley lends weight to that view.

As others have said, he's big and very powerful and holds the ball up well. Doesn't have much pace, but can play upfront on his own or operate as the focal point of the attack with more mobile players running off him. Despite his size he's not a major threat in the air and nor is he a natural goalscorer, but as he showed last season he can score goals.

He could probably be very effective with the right players around him or, put another way, he could help make less physically impressive players look good. I think Charlton fans would warm to him. However, at the price indicated he'd be expensive I'd have thought and not the kind of signing I'd expected to see under Duchatelet.

The plot thickens".

It seems to me that unless you believe that our interest in O'Grady has been fabricated for some reason or, alternatively, believe that he would be a poor signing, then it's hard to view the interest in him as anything other than positive. It appears that we are willing to pay a substantial sum for an experienced player, as opposed to signing another unproven youngster from the continent, but are focused on ensuring that we don't pay over the odds. What's the problem with this?

I'm not suggesting there is any room for complacency. Far from it. We have yet to see concrete evidence that the Club's new management can identify and sign players of the required standard and within the budget available. Moreover, we've always understood that this is a tough challenge, not least since the competition is fierce. Surely, however, the intent has to be seen as a positive?
  • Options

Perhaps Duchatelet is reluctant to spend similar amounts on wages to O'Grady when compared to Batshuayi. I'm have no idea the relative amounts but I bet they are not too far apart. British players cost and demand too much. That's the problem.

It's called a "market". I understand your point, and don't mean to be flippant, but if that's his problem, then we should be worried. I'm sure he has no problem buying cheap electrical components in China and bringing them to the west for sale, thereby leveraging the disparity between the markets (East and West). Bit rich to then have a problem when it doesn't work to his advantage.

Maybe his spreadsheet just needs another column. We could call it "Reality".
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    My view is that £500k should buy you better! Why not use the £500k to entice somebody who is out of contract and younger in relation to enhancing the wages we can offer!
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:

Perhaps Duchatelet is reluctant to spend similar amounts on wages to O'Grady when compared to Batshuayi. I'm have no idea the relative amounts but I bet they are not too far apart. British players cost and demand too much. That's the problem.

It's called a "market". I understand your point, and don't mean to be flippant, but if that's his problem, then we should be worried. I'm sure he has no problem buying cheap electrical components in China and bringing them to the west for sale, thereby leveraging the disparity between the markets (East and West). Bit rich to then have a problem when it doesn't work to his advantage.

Maybe his spreadsheet just needs another column. We could call it "Reality".
    You are of course right but the market is broken. It's the reason that British football is chock full of foreigners that on the whole are no better than British players in any way other than the fees they command and the money they earn.

I do think we need to be looking at experienced British championship players but 500k would buy you a lot more from abroad.