Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris O'Grady linked (rumoured £500k bid accepted)

1131415161719»

Comments

• Options

We had no intention of signing this bloke

Said someone who does not work for the club, was not in on the negotiations and has no idea whats going on!
  • Options
    Why do people have to come up with comments like we had no intention of signing the bloke. We gave him a contract offer he turned it down. Barnsley also wanted more money upfront than we wanted to pay. RD is trying to lower the wage bill, i think it is going to be hard to attract Championship players on the wages we are willing to pay. This is going to hurt us on the pitch.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

Why do people have to come up with comments like we had no intention of signing the bloke. We gave him a contract offer he turned it down. Barnsley also wanted more money upfront than we wanted to pay. RD is trying to lower the wage bill, i think it is going to be hard to attract Championship players on the wages we are willing to pay. This is going to hurt us on the pitch.

I don't think anyone doubts we made an offer to Barnsley and COG. The real question is just how serious was the offer? Was it a mere gesture or did RD actually want the player? Whose idea was it to sign COG considering we had no manager when the bid was made?
  • Options

dickplumb said:

I don't think anyone doubts we made an offer to Barnsley and COG. The real question is just how serious was the offer? Was it a mere gesture or did RD actually want the player? Whose idea was it to sign COG considering we had no manager when the bid was made?
    Again I might be being nieve but I doubt it. There is no possibility in my view that we made an offer that was not with the serious intention of signing the player.

• Options
    It's extremely unlikely that we'd make derisory offers to Barnsley and O'Grady just to deflect attention away from the Dyer article or other perceived bad news. It would be a pretty dumb policy to do so and one which would inevitably lead to later recrimination and reputational damage to the club. It also pre-supposes that we leaked the story, whereas both Barnsley and O'Grady's agent had much more to gain from trying to generate interest from other Championship clubs.

They've been trailing their coats for other suitors for a week or so now and, if no one else comes in for him, I suppose the deal might conceivably be revived unless negotiating positions have become entrenched and we've made a 'take it or leave it' offer. I think O'Grady has some business interests in Manchester, so you can understand why he might prefer to stay up north if he has a choice in the matter.

We simply don't know whether O'Grady and/or RD is/are being unrealistic but, looking at the position in the round (including the uncertainty surrounding Morro), there must be a real doubt as to whether we can attract the sort of good quality, seasoned Championship players that we need to really compete next season. Standard Liege reserves and cast offs are not going to keep us afloat.
  • Options
    As people have pointed out second tier strikers in this country are expensive. From what I've heard they can be on 12-15k per week so what are the alternatives for CAFC if RD doesn't want to engage with an inflated market? Grow our own, loan a player or two (Sordell Obika Hulse) or scout one in Europe/ Africa - let's see what turns up because the club must be fully aware of where we will finish if we don't top up the existing squad with the right quantity and quality of players.
    If this guy wants too much money then RD either gives in as a one off or shops elsewhere - I think I know what might happen this time around!
    On the squad numbers I expect a vast reduction on what we saw under Jiminez and Slater as many players were signed on long term deals in 2011 for a different challenge to that which we face now.
    My concern is not really with buying players but being able to land the right calibre of loans to paper over the cracks until the Academy or the network supply the real deal.
    Put another way, how many academy coaches can you get for 12-15k per week?!
  • Options
    Deal is now at 50/50 according to his representative, who I assume is talking about us in this article. Seems like wages are certainly the stumbling block.

http://www.barnsley-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/tug_of_war_for_ogrady_834147/index.shtml?
  • Options

Those who have no problem with it / agree with it, just remember to not criticise it if it doesn't work out and we remain as goal shy next season as we were this one.

That's like saying if it goes well then everyone disagreeing or who has a problem with it, not to enjoy it. Which is crap if you ask me.
  • Options
    Said the other day we'll end up with the players Liege no longer want. I understand not meeting O'Grady's wage demands but if we want anyone proven to sign up at Charlton we will have to give them a reason to. After the past season we've had and the negative press not many players will be advised to sign up unless they get a great offer
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It does depend on the actual figures being talked about here, but neither party will want that info available to third parties. If O'Grady is asking for stupid money based on ONE good season (the first at this level) then we shouldn't succumb, if he is being offered peanuts then he is entitled to ask for more (he has experience and his prior record is not terrible, just not outstandingly good either).

Point is, he will be aware his hot status won't last long and needs to parlay it into money now before the next Big Thing comes along. There are probably players of comparable quality that would be pretty easy to negotiate with, relatively speaking, but I don't claim to be an expert enough to name names.
  • Options
    just because they arnt good enough for Standard don't mean they are not better than what we have at the moment,if a player improves a certain position that must be good