Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Surrey ccc

Comments

• Options
    Enjoying this thread now, keep it up ;)
  • Options
    35-0 at lunch
  • Options
    Sorry to take this to a wider problem, but TBH, The Oval is not a lot different to what most of the tracks in Oz and SA are like. You have to bend your back a bit, or bowl good spin to get people out. That is why Oz and SA regularly produce the likes of Cummins,Starc,Rabada and Morkel - Few of which, unfortunately we (England or Surrey) possess , because they know they can go to Canterbury or Derby or Headingley in the next game and bowl 80 mph dobbers and bowl teams out for 50 .
    It's only when most of the counties start to produce tracks like this will we start to see England win Test series away from home.
    Might not be exciting (unless you're a batsman), but we aint ever going to be up there as a Test playing nation if we don't make it tougher for bowlers to get their wickets.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Enjoying this thread now, keep it up ;)

I reckon you could score a few runs here mate
  • Options
    Stoneman lbw b Morris 20

38-1
  • Options
    Burns c Barnard b Twohig 30

74-2, still trailing by 18
  • Options
    50 for Borthwick

131-2, leading by 39
  • Options
    Patel c GHead b Morris 25

136-3, and that's tea. Lead is 44.
  • Options

Sorry to take this to a wider problem, but TBH, The Oval is not a lot different to what most of the tracks in Oz and SA are like. You have to bend your back a bit, or bowl good spin to get people out. That is why Oz and SA regularly produce the likes of Cummins,Starc,Rabada and Morkel - Few of which, unfortunately we (England or Surrey) possess , because they know they can go to Canterbury or Derby or Headingley in the next game and bowl 80 mph dobbers and bowl teams out for 50 .
    It's only when most of the counties start to produce tracks like this will we start to see England win Test series away from home.
    Might not be exciting (unless you're a batsman), but we aint ever going to be up there as a Test playing nation if we don't make it tougher for bowlers to get their wickets.

To a certain extent yes. But on the other hand I disagree that the pitches are that similar to those in Aus or SA. Pitches in both those places will have significantly more pace and bounce on the pitches than we get at the oval. We have had Meaker and Mckerr in this matxh and Matt Dunn in the last match proving that raw pace is pretty ineffective on these pitches. Even those bowlers have simply sat up and caused no problems.

I'm not saying we should be producing green tops as the likes of Essex or Kent. I just think that we can still produce pitches with something in there for both batsmen and bowlers. That could be with spin or with pace or bounce. But these benign pitches with nothing in them produce boring cricket with no contest.

Of course the flip side of your points is that we won't produce international batsmen until we start producing pitches that will challenge them.
  • Options
    Has part of the Oval square been relaid recently Canters?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Has part of the Oval square been relaid recently Canters?

Last I know of was 2 years ago. Not sure if there was any more recent.
  • Options
    Match drawn

Surrey end on 173-3, with Borthwick not out on 82
  • Options
    Surrey hang on
  • Options
    At least we didn't bowl the opposition out for 50 in the first innings and lose the game.
  • Options
    Anyone going to the game starting Friday against the Yorkies.?
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Im off Monday and Friday next week so if after day 3 a result is likely I'll go for the last day, if it's looking like a draw I'll go to the one day game Friday.
  • Options

No I intend to be very hung over from watching Charlton win 4.0 on Thursday.
  • Options
    I have the day off Friday but as it's the missus birthday I don't think I'll get away with being both hungover and off to watch the cricket.

I'll probably flick on and off the live stream though!
  • Options
    My kind of stat.
  • Options
    Foakes has to play for the test side this summer. Best keeper in the country and scores runs.

Bairstow to 4 and lose the gloves. Foakes in as keeper. Obvious choice.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm off to The Oval on Friday to recover after Thursday night - so if anyone is there , look out for a fat bastard in a Charlton shirt - thats more than likely me.
  • Options
    In for the first and second sessions today. Uncontested toss. Surrey batting first.

Tradional county fixture. Good memories of Robin Jackman bowling to Geoff Boycott.
  • Options
    Patel and Meaker our, Elgar and Dernbach in.
  • Options
    The wicket is close to the Harleyford Road terrace, almost in line with the players entrance. Bresnan opening up from the Vauxhall End to Burns, who drives the second ball to the short boundary. 4-0.
  • Options
    Brooks from the Pavilion End to Stoneman. Four slips in place.
  • Options
    Stoneman. Lbw b Bresnan 10. 15-1
  • Options
    Borthwick in at 3. Lots of playing and missing in the opening 20 mins. Both bowlers moving the ball away. Yorkshire must fancy a few early wickets after putting Surrey in.
  • Options
    Burns caught at second slip off Brooks for 9. Surrey 19-2.
  • Options
    First change in the bowling. Shaw replacing Brooks at the Pavilion End.

Borthwick caught First Slip for 5. Surrey 40-3.
  • Options
    Bresnan off after 8 straight overs from the Vauxhall End, replaced by Patterson. Only 3 slips! Surrey 46-3. Elgar 17, Foakes 5.