Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Surrey ccc

Comments

• Sorry, forgot to give the close-of-play score.

Warwickshire 29-0, Porterfield 17* and Mellor 8*

Well worth going to The Oval for that!
  • Sorry, forgot to give the close-of-play score.

Warwickshire 29-0, Porterfield 17* and Mellor 8*

Well worth going to The Oval for that!

Cheers Epsom
  • bloody hell
  • Mark Church who does the BBC radio London commentary and used to be the media guy for Surrey has described it as one of the best spells he has ever seen.

And he has watched a lot of country cricket over the last few decades...

He can be a little annoying on commentary but he's a good follow on Twitter @backandacross
  • Afternoon guys.

Resuming on 29-0, Warwickshire lost two quick wickets this morning, Porterfield and Mellor falling to Sam Curran (lbw) and Jade Dernbach (c Sangakkara) respectively. Trott and Bell rebuilt and put together a 100-run partnership, but Bell has just departed, caught by slip catcher supreme Scott Borthwick off the bowling of Mark Footitt for 64.

Warwickshire are currently 146-3, still 217 runs away from making Surrey bat again.
  • Hain lbw b Dernbach 3

154-4.
  • Trott brings up his fifty.

159-4
  • Ambrose lbw b T Curran 0

Ambrose played back and the ball kept low, giving Tom Curran his first wicket of the innings.

169-5
  • Clarke c Foakes b T Curran 6

181-6
  • Burns drops Barker at slip off Batty.

221-6
  • Sponsored links:

• 224-6 at tea, Trott 99* and Barker 13*
  • Trott makes his hundred.

225-6, five overs before the new ball can be taken.
  • New ball taken.

245-6
  • Come on Surrey wrap it up
  • 322 for 7 close of play.
  • Morning all.

Patel lbw b T Curran 29

Warwickshire's bright start to the day is curtailed as Tom Curran traps Patel in front.

345-8, trailing by 18. Trott still there on 146*.
  • Be nice to win by an innings.
  • edited April 2017
    Trott reaches 150 with a lovely cover drive.

353-8, trailing by 10
  • you at The Oval Epsom ?
  • Not today, I'm "working" from home while listening via the BBC.

In other news...

Trott c Sibley b Footitt 151

356-9, trailing by 7
  • Sponsored links:

• Wright b T Curran 8

362 all out - Surrey win by an innings and 1 run.

Lovely stuff.
  • What a perfect start to the season.
    Thanks for the updates everyone
  • Popped down to the Oval for my first visit this season. Free entry today for punters, as you would expect with the match situation, and it reminded me of my first visit in 1973 when it was free entry for the last day of the West Indies test match. The only time I was privileged to see Gary Sobers play.

However, we are looking good for the season, with tons of batting and lots of bowling options, although it was Foottit and Tom Curran, who did all of the bowling today and wrapped up the Warwickshire innings between them. Trott got himself out with a deliberate cut over the slips straight to Sibley at third man, but it's always good to see the middle stump uprooted as it was by TC for the last wicket. He looks quicker than last season and I think we will lose him to England during the summer. I see Rampaul and Meaker are in the 2nd XI line-up against Sussex, so plenty of back-up.

Looking forward to a real challenge for the Championship. The Oval looked splendid today. Gone are the days when you'd get splinters in the backside from the wooden benches that we in place in 1973.
  • Tutt-Tutt said:

Popped down to the Oval for my first visit this season. Free entry today for punters, as you would expect with the match situation, and it reminded me of my first visit in 1973 when it was free entry for the last day of the West Indies test match. The only time I was privileged to see Gary Sobers play.

However, we are looking good for the season, with tons of batting and lots of bowling options, although it was Foottit and Tom Curran, who did all of the bowling today and wrapped up the Warwickshire innings between them. Trott got himself out with a deliberate cut over the slips straight to Sibley at third man, but it's always good to see the middle stump uprooted as it was by TC for the last wicket. He looks quicker than last season and I think we will lose him to England during the summer. I see Rampaul and Meaker are in the 2nd XI line-up against Sussex, so plenty of back-up.

Looking forward to a real challenge for the Championship. The Oval looked splendid today. Gone are the days when you'd get splinters in the backside from the wooden benches that we in place in 1973.

You were obviously too tight to pay for one of the green "cushions" they used to rent out! I never invested in one of those either.
  • Tutt-Tutt said:

Popped down to the Oval for my first visit this season. Free entry today for punters, as you would expect with the match situation, and it reminded me of my first visit in 1973 when it was free entry for the last day of the West Indies test match. The only time I was privileged to see Gary Sobers play.

You were obviously too tight to pay for one of the green "cushions" they used to rent out! I never invested in one of those either.
    No chance of wasting money on a cushion when you were a kid. More important things to waste it on.
  • Bloody good to get the first win of the season.
    Cricket always feels so much better when the sun is shining. Had a lovely few days sitting out in the sun couple of beers with the cricket on the radio pretending of don't have deadlines and exams looming.

Batty suggested it's very much a squad game and there will be rotation, players like Meaker Rampaul, Harinath, Ansari mentioned as very much part of this...

I do hope we rotate the bowlers. TC was over bowled considerably last season. Played almost every game in every format and always bowled the most number of overs. His pace at the end of the season was considerably lower than at the beginning. Once again he bowls the most overs in the match. We don't want to ruin the kid before he has a chance to fulfil his potential. It's great that a 21 yr old is our go to man but Surrey have a duty to him and his career. Equally we want him fit for the whole season so the odd rest won't hurt.

Alec Stewart mentioned in a members meeting (according to reports) that Scott Borthwick (and surrey) were very keen on working on his bowling. He admitted that it was very much a work in progress but he did mention they were trying to get Shane Warne to work on it with him.

Him and Ansari as our spinners and both batting in the top 6 would be brilliant in years to come.
  • edited April 2017
    I haven't attended any members evenings this season, so can't substantiate Stewies comments.

I got sent the Annual Report & Accounts the other day. Apart from the profit of £1.1 mill for the year, it's always interesting to see the attendances for last season.

T20 Blast : Glamorgan 15,543; Hampshire 14,668; Middlesex 18,594; Essex 10,645; Somerset 22,672; Sussex 20,121; Kent 20,901.

Royal London Cup : Somerset 2,922; Sussex (Guildford) 1,077; Gloucester 4,049; Glamorgan 4,514.

CC : Somerset 4,007; Warwicks (Guildford) 2,772; Durham 5,013; Yorkshire 5,963; Middlesex 8,469; Lancashire 6,864 ; Notts 4,408; Hants 5,287.

England v Pakistan Test : 88,789.
    England v Sri Lanka (ODI) : 23,443.

Total Attendance at the Oval : 290,261.

Surprised that Somerset drew the highest attendance. I would have guessed it was Kent or Middlesex. The low Essex attendance was a weekend game.

The attendance for the opening CC game against Warks was 6000plus.
  • Thats not bad going.
  • Tutt-Tutt, are the CC figures the aggregate over all days of the match or an average ?
  • Tutt-Tutt, are the CC figures the aggregate over all days of the match or an average ?

I assume it's the Aggregate. You probably have to go back to the 1950's for 8000 per day for Surrey v Middlesex.