Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Surrey ccc

Comments

• Great post cants, not that many ins and outs when you compare to a certain football club we support.
    Personally I think staying in league one is a priority, Don't see us doing anything special to be fair.
    But i do think we will be successful in both the shorter versions of the game .
    Hopefully meet up for a beer together this season with a few other Surrey posters, preferably when we play kent: )

Come on the Rey!

I always thought you were a bit of a prick but obviously not all bad.
  • Great post cants, not that many ins and outs when you compare to a certain football club we support.
    Personally I think staying in league one is a priority, Don't see us doing anything special to be fair.
    Hopefully meet up for a beer together this season with a few other Surrey posters, preferably when we play kent: )

Yeah I'm gonna do a post on my predictions for the season at some point. It all depends on how the bowlers go in my view. We have a strong batting lineup and options there. Depends if Ansari stays fit and how Meaker footit etc go. If they find form at the right time it's a potential attack and we could surprise ourselves. But last year we struggled to bowl teams out and we haven't added to the bowlers.

As for that beer. More than up for it!

I'll come.

I'll come.
    You paying?! ;)

I'll come.
    You ain't invited

Yeah I'm gonna do a post on my predictions for the season at some point. It all depends on how the bowlers go in my view. We have a strong batting lineup and options there. Depends if Ansari stays fit and how Meaker footit etc go. If they find form at the right time it's a potential attack and we could surprise ourselves. But last year we struggled to bowl teams out and we haven't added to the bowlers.
    The oval is a batsmans paradise we will struggle to take 20 wickets there that's for sure. Probably got more chance of winning away
  • edited February 2017

Great post cants, not that many ins and outs when you compare to a certain football club we support.

I'll come.
    You paying?! ;)
    As if that's a flaggable offense @ElfsborgAddick

Need to keep my flag to comment ratio below 1 in 2000

I'll come.
    You can only come if you get the first round in: )

The oval is a batsmans paradise we will struggle to take 20 wickets there that's for sure. Probably got more chance of winning away
    Bang on.
  • Sponsored links:

I'll come.
    You paying?! ;)
    Flag removed, may that be a warning to you if you mention again about me buying a drink!

I'll come.
    You can only come if you get the first round in: )
    You got a flag for talking silly, flag removed so I do not get another inbox from you whining on about getting a flag.
  • Surrey are going to have some batting lineup in the T20 with a potential top 4 of Roy, Finch, Sangakarra, Pietersen.

• edited March 2017

Surrey are going to have some batting lineup in the T20 with a potential top 4 of Roy, Finch, Sangakarra, Pietersen.

Yes indeed. I was trying to work out a T20 side yesterday after the announcement and I can't work out who to drop. We have at least 13 players I want in there..

Roy
    Finch
    Sanga
    KP
    Borthwick
    Ansari
    Foakes
    Sam Curran
    Tom Curran
    Batty
    Meaker
    Dernbach

And that's before the likes of Dunn, Burns, Stoneman or Sibley are considered.

I expect Meaker tof drop out if they are happy with 3 quicks (bit of a risk) and one of the spinners to drop out as Borthwick can be second spinner. Alternatively Sanga could keep and drop Foakes as whilst he is an exception keeper and good 4 day batsman. He is really not suited to batting in T20.
  • Thats almost an international strength side.
  • Such optimism on here. In my opinion it is always better to "under hope and over perform" but then I am a Kent supporter!
  • Surrey are going to have some batting lineup in the T20 with a potential top 4 of Roy, Finch, Sangakarra, Pietersen.

Yes indeed. I was trying to work out a T20 side yesterday after the announcement and I can't work out who to drop. We have at least 13 players I want in there..

Roy
    Finch
    Sanga
    KP
    Borthwick
    Ansari
    Foakes
    Sam Curran
    Tom Curran
    Batty
    Meaker
    Dernbach

I expect Meaker tof drop out if they are happy with 3 quicks (bit of a risk) and one of the spinners to drop out as Borthwick can be second spinner. Alternatively Sanga could keep and drop Foakes as whilst he is an exception keeper and good 4 day batsman. He is really not suited to batting in T20.
    Sanga won't keep these days. Maybe Burns will get a chance with the gloves in the T20s. There are bound to be injuries anyway.

Roy
    Finch
    Sanga
    KP
    Borthwick
    Ansari
    Foakes
    Sam Curran
    Tom Curran
    Batty
    Meaker
    Dernbach

Sanga won't keep these days. Maybe Burns will get a chance with the gloves in the T20s. There are bound to be injuries anyway.
    KP's certain to do his back in picking up his wallet or might end up being concussed from trying to get his head through the dressing room door.
  • edited March 2017

Surrey are going to have some batting lineup in the T20 with a potential top 4 of Roy, Finch, Sangakarra, Pietersen.

Roy
    Finch
    Sanga
    KP
    Borthwick
    Ansari
    Foakes
    Sam Curran
    Tom Curran
    Batty
    Meaker
    Dernbach

Agreed don't think Sanga will keep. But Burns is hardly more suited to T20 batting that Foakes.. guessing they will stick with Foakes with means either Borthwick or a spinner misses out plus Meaker.

A lot depends on KPs form. If he plays like he has in the big bash then he'll be great. Of he plays like he did last time he played just T20 for us and I'd say no thanks. He played 6 matches with and op score of 29.

As he's here for a period of time I'm surprised that he hasn't made himself available for the odd championship game. That might help him get in form...

Roy
    Finch
    Sanga
    KP
    Borthwick
    Ansari
    Foakes
    Sam Curran
    Tom Curran
    Batty
    Meaker
    Dernbach

Agreed don't think Sanga will keep. But Burns is hardly more suited to T20 batting that Foakes.. guessing they will stick with Foakes with means either Borthwick or a spinner misses out plus Meaker.

A lot depends on KPs form. If he plays like he has in the big bash then he'll be great. Of he plays like he did last time he played just T20 for us and I'd say no thanks. He played 6 matches with and op score of 29.

As he's here for a period of time I'm surprised that he hasn't made himself available for the odd championship game. That might help him get in form...
    Canters, do you seriously think KP is prepared these days to field, potentially, for two days or more? He uses every excuse under the sun to avoid doing so in T20 and has admitted that fielding isn't for him any more. Don't believe me - just watch him this summer and you will see though I hope that Umpires/the authorities do something about it.
  • Sponsored links:

Roy
    Finch
    Sanga
    KP
    Borthwick
    Ansari
    Foakes
    Sam Curran
    Tom Curran
    Batty
    Meaker
    Dernbach

Canters, do you seriously think KP is prepared these days to field, potentially, for two days or more? He uses every excuse under the sun to avoid doing so in T20 and has admitted that fielding isn't for him any more. Don't believe me - just watch him this summer and you will see though I hope that Umpires/the authorities do something about it.
    thats definitely the team ethic quality that endears KP so much to his team mates
  • lolwray said:

Roy
    Finch
    Sanga
    KP
    Borthwick
    Ansari
    Foakes
    Sam Curran
    Tom Curran
    Batty
    Meaker
    Dernbach

thats definitely the team ethic quality that endears KP so much to his team mates
    Just wait until he gets his mobile phone out before matches...
  • lolwray said:

Roy
    Finch
    Sanga
    KP
    Borthwick
    Ansari
    Foakes
    Sam Curran
    Tom Curran
    Batty
    Meaker
    Dernbach

Just wait until he gets his mobile phone out before matches...
    maybe team mates can put up with it for 20 overs but its just the sort of thing that would make you very unpopular in a dressing room over the course of a season ...but if he puts money on the gate maybe its worth it
  • edited April 2017

So this leaves is with a squad of.

Burns
    Stoneman
    Sibley
    Harinath
    Sanga
    Borthwick
    Roy
    Finch (T20 + Sanga cover)
    Kapil
    Foakes
    Pope
    Batty
    Ansari
    Van den Berg
    Virdi
    Curran T
    Curran S
    Dernbach
    Dunn
    Footit
    Meaker
    Rampaul
    Mckerr
    Pillans

Decent squad. My only worry is backup keeper. Pope is pretty untested but I guess Burns/Sanga can stand in, in an emergency.

Think we are probably a T20 batsman short. Would like our second overseas player for that to be a batting all-rounder.

With the season a matter of days away and Surrey playing a warm up game at the county ground Canterbury today (didn't know that was happening until I bumped into Messrs Meaker and Batty when leaving the indoor school I wished them well for the season!) thought it was time to bump this thread and get my seasons preview done. If nothing else it'll give me a nice break from writing an essay about governemnt intervention in education.

Since my post above my fears over Pope have been relieved. He's done well in pre season.

My hopes for a T20 batsman have been met not once but twice! We have Finch returning for the T20 and to cover Sanga in the championship when he is in the CPL and Mr Pietersen!

We also have the batting all-rounder in Moises Henriques who is returning 2 years after his horrendous injured from an on field collision with Rory Burns that saw him needing 3 surgeries on his Jaw. He will be our second T20 overseas player whilst Sanga is away!

I'm gonna do some season predictions. Plus some player predictions and I'll be throwing out some lineups for each format too.

In other news Mr Batty has been awarded a benefit year. It isn't something that happens that often these days but thoroughly deserved... from squaring up to that dickhead Trego to winning the chamionship with a hattrick 2 years ago. The man is proper Surrey!
  • That's one heck of a squad.
  • That's one heck of a squad.

It really is incredible. I don't think we have had depth like it in years.

The fact that Harinath, a player I rate highly, has never even been involved in the pre season squads when weve had players missing shows how deep our squad goes. I will say that looking at other teams most of them look to have strengthened so don't expect us to be running away with anything. But we should be challenging for all three trophies for the best part of the season.
  • I've looked through that squad, and there are 11 Internationals - ok they wont all be eligible to play at same time, but there will still be some serious talent there...for example, I've not even included the Currans in that 11.
    Stoneman,Sanga,Borthwick,Roy,Finch,Batty,Ansari,Dernbach,Footitt,Meaker,Rampaul
  • Predictions:

Championship: 2nd. I expect us to be in the race for most of the season but just miss out.

T20: finals day is a minimum here. That squad will be seriously underperformed if we don't get there.

Whatever the one day cup is called this year: quarters. Could be the toughest competition this year as we will probably be without Roy for most of it and no KP and only one of Finch/Sanga. However the likes of Burns Stoneman Sibley can certainly do a job in this format.

Picking 11s is pretty difficult I'm going off preseason, plus the end of last season with an extra bit of guesswork.

Championship

Burns
    Stoneman
    Borthwick
    Sanga
    Sibley (would be Roy but he's not going to be available much if at all)
    Ansari
    Foakes
    Sam
    Tom
    Meaker
    Footit

This looks like a pretty balanced side. 4 quickstep 2 spinners who both bat in the top 6. Batting down to 9 and solid top order with experience.

There is no room for the skipper which I think is fair enough early season as the ball doesn't turn much in April. Rampaul Dunn Dernbach to provide rotation for the quicks.

T20:

Roy
    Finch
    KP
    Sanga/Henriques
    Borthwick
    Ansari
    Foakes
    Sam
    Tom
    Meaker/Batty
    Dernbach

If Henriques plays batty comes in as we won't need 5 quicks. Possibly a bit bowler heavy but it's really tough to decide who misses out.

One day

Burns
    Stoneman
    Sibley
    Borthwick
    Sanga
    Ansari
    Foakes
    Sam
    Tom
    Meaker
    Dernbach

Again is like to get batty in there but can't work out how.
  • Do you like Batty ,Canters ??