Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Surrey ccc

Comments

• Anyone going to the awards night on the 20th ? Our first one so don't know what to expect?
  • Foakes and TC both out but batty going nicely and Meaker playing the supporting role well. Every run towards 350 is huge!
  • Jinxed it didn't I! 329 all out. Batty 41 not out.
  • Got my tickets for the Lords final a week saturday!

Enjoy the game mate, I'll be in Cyprus but you can't have everything
  • Got my tickets for the Lords final a week saturday!

Enjoy the game mate, I'll be in Cyprus but you can't have everything
    Knowing my luck it'll probably rain... in which case you've probably picked the better option!
  • Hampshire declare on 582-9, a lead of 253. Surrey 23-0 at the close.
  • Match drawn. Sangakkara 84 not out as we reach 248-3 before rain brings the players off.

Our last game is a Durham next week.
  • Durham 401 & 246, Surrey 367 and 259.

Lose by 21 runs.
  • I'm in Cyprus at present so updates are much appreciated.
    Now for the Big one Saturday.
    A Charlton Surrey win double will do just fine
  • So the big one tomorrow who is going?
  • Sponsored links:

• My team would be something like:

Roy
    Davies
    Sanga
    Sibley/Burns
    Ansari
    Foakes
    Sam
    Tom
    Batty
    Meaker
    Dernbach

I'd play the vicar but I think they will pick Burns... plenty of bowling but if the top 3 don't fire I worry about the batting...
  • Not sure going as I'm away but I think we'll win this canters and you will have a great day with Charlton winning as well.
    Congrats to Batty as well totally deserved
  • Not sure going as I'm away but I think we'll win this canters and you will have a great day with Charlton winning as well.
    Congrats to Batty as well totally deserved

Cheers buddy. Both teams to win would be a great day! I probably won't update on the score but will provide some sort of write up after the game if anyone cares..
  • Bit far for me to travl but hope to watch on TV.
  • Pretty clueless batting display, this
  • Batting first at 1030 lords start!!!
  • MrOneLung said:

Batting first at 1030 lords start!!!

Yep. I know we are better defending but that was a poor decision. Especially with D/L possibly coming into play. Especially with the state of this pitch.. it was seaming miles and both their spinners who don't usually turn the ball much both were turning it round corners..

Poor choice of pitch for a final.. but makes the decision to bat even stranger.. if we had bowled and restricted them to 180 the pressure would all be on them... we could still have flopped to 140 but would have been a different game.
  • Score anyone
  • Surrey 136 v Warwickshire 137/2 (30.2/50 ov) Warwickshire won by 8 wickets (with 118 balls remaining)
  • Sponsored links:

• Fuck me i wish I'd never asked.
    Thanks anyway
  • The old problem with one day games. They are so dull when they are one sided.
  • MrOneLung said:

Yep. I know we are better defending but that was a poor decision. Especially with D/L possibly coming into play. Especially with the state of this pitch.. it was seaming miles and both their spinners who don't usually turn the ball much both were turning it round corners..

Poor choice of pitch for a final.. but makes the decision to bat even stranger.. if we had bowled and restricted them to 180 the pressure would all be on them... we could still have flopped to 140 but would have been a different game.
    Completely forgot this game was on but see Surrey went from 99-2 off 25 to 136 all out 15 overs later - and still with 10 overs to go. And that Trott got MOM for doing what Trott does best. Perhaps one or two of the lower order could have taken a leaf out of his book.

• Score anyone

No internet connection?
  • MrOneLung said:

Completely forgot this game was on but see Surrey went from 99-2 off 25 to 136 all out 15 overs later - and still with 10 overs to go. And that Trott got MOM for doing what Trott does best. Perhaps one or two of the lower order could have taken a leaf out of his book.

The pitch was doing too much for the lower order. We needed a couple of the top order batsmen to hang around and Burns was the only one that did.
  • MrOneLung said:

Score anyone

No internet connection?
    Not in my hotel in Cyprus no
  • edited October 2016
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/37610025

I wonder how long it will take for the BBC to correct this article!
    Roy Burns, Ben Foakes and Sam Curran sign new Surrey deals

Vice-captain Roy Burns, wicketkeeper Ben Foakes and all-rounder Sam Curran have signed new three-year contracts with Surrey.
  • So I thought it was time to fire up this bad boy in anticipation of the start of the season.

So the news since the end of last season:

Outs,

Gary Wilson was allowed to leave for second division Derbyshire. He had failed to impress coach Di Venuto last season and I think the thought around the club is that he isn't up to first division standard. I think it's a huge shame as I'm a big fan of the man. He was key to our title winning side the year before last and had been a great servant of the club captaining the side at 2 particularly difficult times for the club. I can only wish him well.

Steven Davies has made the move to Somerset. Whilst he is immensely more talented than Wilson I am less sorry to see him go. He was an incredibly frustrating player with one 2 month purple patch every 2 years. Many also felt the club had to do a lot to accommodate him over the years. We will miss him in T20 cricket and he was an incredibly useful player in that format.

Azhar Marhmood has retired. This signals an end of an era. I saw a fact the other day that every time we have reached finals day Azhar has been in the squad. That's incredible given he played in the very first one 12 years ago!!

James Burke has gone on loan to Leicestershire for the whole season. I feel this is ago good part for all parties as the perception last year was he wasn't ready for first division cricket and is a long way down the pecking order.

Jason Roy. Not really an out but he has put himself in the auction for the IPL and possibly the CPL too. Between those annoying England matches I doubt we will see him in annoy thing other than T20 and the odd one dayer.

Ins

Sangakkara. Technically not an in but equally Important to have him signed on for another year. What a man and what a player!

Finch. Confirmed to be here for the whole T20 after being a huge success last year. Also will cover for Sanga when he is at the PSL.

Stoneman. The Durham opener joined the club in the summer. A very good addition in my view. Experienced but still fairly young. Although we do now have a wealth of openers now.

Borthwick. Most will know him as the leg spinner that played one match in that test series in Australia. Since then he has become a batsman batting at 3 for Durham and bowling occasionally. I suspect he bats at 4 below Sanga. I like that it means we have 3 spinners that offer a different option.
  • So this leaves is with a squad of.

Burns
    Stoneman
    Sibley
    Harinath
    Sanga
    Borthwick
    Roy
    Finch (T20 + Sanga cover)
    Kapil
    Foakes
    Pope
    Batty
    Ansari
    Van den Berg
    Virdi
    Curran T
    Curran S
    Dernbach
    Dunn
    Footit
    Meaker
    Rampaul
    Mckerr
    Pillans

Decent squad. My only worry is backup keeper. Pope is pretty untested but I guess Burns/Sanga can stand in, in an emergency.

Think we are probably a T20 batsman short. Would like our second overseas player for that to be a batting all-rounder.

• Great post cants, not that many ins and outs when you compare to a certain football club we support.
    Personally I think staying in league one is a priority, Don't see us doing anything special to be fair.
    But i do think we will be successful in both the shorter versions of the game .
    Hopefully meet up for a beer together this season with a few other Surrey posters, preferably when we play kent: )