Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New England manager?

Comments

• Options
    How about Tony Pullis

I'll get me coat
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

Possible candidates that are ENGLISH.

Hoddle - No...a dinosaur and the disabled comment is still unforgivable the mans a looney.

Pardew - C%%£$$

Big Sam - Unconvincing...and, crap.

Arry - tactically inept at a stage like this.

Who else is there??? Or do we dive down into the championship for an english manager?

If we are sticking with english manager then we have to stick with Roy.

British/foriegn manager might be different.

English manager - Roy

Foriegn/scot manager - aint gotta clue

Michael Appleton?
  • Options

How about Tony Pullis

I'll get me coat

Welsh.
  • Options

How about Tony Pullis

I'll get me coat

Welsh.
    And i though being Palace manager was his worst trait...
  • Options
    I'd get him to remove an e from his surname and give it to Bob Peters!
  • Options
    cabbles said:

It's not the manager.

It's a shocking state of affairs that we don't have a natural centre forward, or a quality right back or centre halves.

This 100%

Hodgson is not the problem.

I felt we had good team spirit. We were in each game. We just don't have quality in defence and a quality finisher.

Hodgson picked the squad that most would have picked (from those available).

We just don't have a Soares or a Balatelli.

But Bingaddick we do have Tom Soares, you may remember him from the clutch of loan players in the first season we were relegated to the Championship............

Could be the answer;-)
    Yes bloody spell checker was written by a Palarse fan :)

• Options
    Fiiiiiish said:

Dave2l said:

Hoddle - No...a dinosaur and the disabled comment is still unforgivable the mans a looney.

Pardew - C%%£$$

Who else is there??? Or do we dive down into the championship for an english manager?

English manager - Roy

Michael Appleton?

Back to the subject of the Germans- when they appointed Klinnsman he had no previous managerial baggage to bring to the post .What he did have however was pedigree as a top class international who had won things .He also had the respect of the young players that he started to introduce and a degree of intelligence and sophistication . The Germans also made other key changes to significanlty improve their quality earlier alluded to by other posters.That was all after a few disappointing years of European dominance in the last thirty or so years. I would not discount them as potential World Cup winners on the basis of performances to date in this tournament. The trouble is if we just focus on the managerial appointment leaving aside other changes that must be made do we ourselves have a candidate comparable to Klinnsman as an alternative to Roy?The obvious world class player of recent years is Beckham butvhe is too vain and too thick although he has had the benefit of living and playing in various countries . Klinnsman can speak about 5 languages whereas Beckham can barely speak English so hardly the urbane tactical genius leader and true student of the game to inspire confidence in a young team. I am struggling to think of any other English player of any note who comes into the reckoning . That speaks volumes itself probably as to the state of our international class managerial talent so far as people who have recently been there and done it are concerned.stick with Roy
  • Options
    ashley said:

Fiiiiiish said:

Dave2l said:

Pardew - C%%£$$

English manager - Roy

Michael Appleton?

Back to the subject of the Germans- when they appointed Klinnsman he had no previous managerial baggage to bring to the post .What he did have however was pedigree as a top class international who had won things .He also had the respect of the young players that he started to introduce and a degree of intelligence and sophistication . The Germans also made other key changes to significanlty improve their quality earlier alluded to by other posters.That was all after a few disappointing years of European dominance in the last thirty or so years. I would not discount them as potential World Cup winners on the basis of performances to date in this tournament. The trouble is if we just focus on the managerial appointment leaving aside other changes that must be made do we ourselves have a candidate comparable to Klinnsman as an alternative to Roy?The obvious world class player of recent years is Beckham butvhe is too vain and too thick although he has had the benefit of living and playing in various countries . Klinnsman can speak about 5 languages whereas Beckham can barely speak English so hardly the urbane tactical genius leader and true student of the game to inspire confidence in a young team. I am struggling to think of any other English player of any note who comes into the reckoning . That speaks volumes itself probably as to the state of our international class managerial talent so far as people who have recently been there and done it are concerned.stick with Roy
    Sorry should have said " following " European dominance in the last thirty years or so
  • Options
    Wouldn't mind someone like Steve Bould, current assistant at Arsenal and been slowly working his way up through their coaching ranks.

Think throwing someone with little coaching experience like Gary Neville in would be a stupid thing to do.
  • Options
    I don't think the England manager has to be a great coach personally. They have to know what the right blend is above all else and get their tactics right.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fiiiiiish said:

I thought Hodgson was alright before the world cup.

But alarm bells should be ringing when Danny Welbeck is still starting, absolute garbage.

Not enough form players were given an oppurtunity either.

Would a world class manager really have done any better with that team? the fact is the player system is the problem. Even a world class manager needs quality to return success.

Greece / Denmark.
  • Options
    Fiiiiiish said:

I thought Hodgson was alright before the world cup.

But alarm bells should be ringing when Danny Welbeck is still starting, absolute garbage.

Not enough form players were given an oppurtunity either.

Would a world class manager really have done any better with that team? the fact is the player system is the problem. Even a world class manager needs quality to return success.

Fotballs strange.

If mourinho was manager...would we be much better? Of course we would.
  • Options
    FA Chairman Greg Dyke tells Sky Sports News that Roy Hodgson will remain England manager until 2016, yawn.
  • Options
    England manager Roy Hodgson insists he will not resign, despite his side facing World Cup elimination.
    Luis Suarez's double for Uruguay condemned England to their second successive defeat in Group D following an opening loss to Italy.
    "I don't have any intention to resign," said Hodgson, 66. "I've been really happy with the way the players have responded to the work we've done."

See Dyke has come out and said he will keep his job for the Euro's.

Incompetence rewarded as usual. Shocking tactics..................etc.
  • Options
    Record breaking Roy Hodgson.

The futures bright
  • Options
    Is our team worse than a team like Costa Rica? No?

Then it's down to tactics and the management.
  • Options
    Odd to make this announcement we play CR. If we go home having lost all 3 group games I can't see many being behind him
  • Options
    Keep Roy at least until after the Euros, then replace him with Neville, we need to have the same system in place as we hopefully finally start changing our football culture.
  • Options

We did and that price dyke said a b league

Roys only mistake was Gerrard and every manager before him made the same mistake

If Gerrard was worth lacing sir Beckhams boots he will resign as captain allowing the mgr to drop him

hear hear, resign before u get really hated

Hated?
  • Options
    Won't make a blind bit of difference. Might as well stick to what we've got.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Roy should go if we don't beat Costa Rica.
    Not impressed with his management.
    Seems to have picked the kids to be popular and avoid criticism if we do badly.
    We haven't looked organised defensively all tournament. Thats his job.
    His tactics baffle me. Went gung ho against the Italians yet took a more careful approach against Uruguay.

Good point. I would also question what on earth has Neville be doing with the defence?

PS: Congrats for getting 'gung ho' right.

• Options
    Who out of the players available would make a major difference
  • Options
    Manager does not need replacing. Play all youngsters for the next 2 big tournaments, take any pain and see how they get on. What have we got to lose, our reputation?
  • Options
    If we reframe our ideas and start seeing ourselves as natural underdogs in all international competitions we might start seeing a tendency to fight for it. You can afford the spoiled millionaires when they have vast resources of technical skill to make up for the lack of commitment. But they are shit at working together. I'm guessing that's why England's finest can't pass, control the ball or hold onto possession.
  • Options

Manager does not need replacing. Play all youngsters for the next 2 big tournaments, take any pain and see how they get on. What have we got to lose, our reputation?

Should have done that this time.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    We have to firstly admit we have totally overrated players. Roy isn't the best either IMO but the real problems lie with our defence not one of them good enough to grace an England team.
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Odd to make this announcement we play CR. If we go home having lost all 3 group games I can't see many being behind him

I can. I do wonder if there's an age element at work here in a lot of these situations. This is the 10th World Cup I have watched where we have come home before the final. I appreciate only two teams every 4 years can reach the final but one semi in all those years is a very poor return in anyone's book for such an established footballing country.

As a result my expectations are very, very low and having seen a succession of (previously successful) managers fail with squad after squad I long since recognised that the primary problem is with the players and not the manager. I just think that a lot of those in their 20 and early 30's haven't arrived at that point yet hence the calls from some for him to go. There will be exceptions on both sides of course...
  • Options
    A bit of luck wouldn't go amiss in a tournament. When was the last time we had the rub of the green ?
  • Options

A bit of luck wouldn't go amiss in a tournament. When was the last time we had the rub of the green ?

We had Green that wasn't worth a rub.

• Options
    Bollox is it not the managers fault.
    He's had 2 years to work with them. OK The Ox and Walcott injuries haven't helped.
    But we have looked like a team that hasn't played together.
    Don't remember a more disorganized defense.
    I struggle to comprehend what they do in training.
    And as I have already said, Roy's tactics show someone who is totally clueless.