Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sport of Kings discussion thread

Comments

• Options
    So the weight allowance won it for Enable
    I thought that you said that she was streets ahead of the field, even without the allowance. 
  • Options
    I thought that you said that she was streets ahead of the field, even without the allowance. 
    I think the conditions really suited Crystal Ocean in fairness. Loves the rain - what a race it was
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    I think the conditions really suited Crystal Ocean in fairness. Loves the rain - what a race it was
    It was a cracking race. I honestly think that everything went wrong in the race for Enable from that draw. She got held wide and then got shuffled towards the back.
    It was a great performance to win from there. 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    PaddyP17 said:
    It was a cracking race. I honestly think that everything went wrong in the race for Enable from that draw. She got held wide and then got shuffled towards the back.
    It was a great performance to win from there. 
    Stunning race and a stunning performance by Enable and Frankie, against the highest rated horse in the world!
    Agreed she didn't have the best in-running but if anyone knows how to ride Ascot, it's Dettori. I don't believe she was headed at all in the run in and Frankie coaxed her home whilst Doyle was working overtime on Crystal Ocean.
    Magnificent mare.
  • Options
    on form yes and the odds suggested she should have won comfortably, not the point really, i'm saying because how the race panned out and she just got up by a neck, that allowance was the difference.

Crystal Ocean has technically won that race
  • Options
    on form yes and the odds suggested she should have won comfortably, not the point really, i'm saying because how the race panned out and she just got up by a neck, that allowance was the difference.

Horse racing doesn't work like that. I don't remember the owner of Crystal Ocean collecting the trophy and I'm sure that they won't get the prize money for first place.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

Horse racing doesn't work like that. I don't remember the owner of Crystal Ocean collecting the trophy and I'm sure that they won't get the prize money for first place.
    Maybe if Crystal Ocean had had to run as far as Enable then Enable would have won by 10 lengths!
    Horse racing doesn't work that way either!
    I think we both understand horse racing somewhat better than snowinberlin - and agree that the better horse (by a distance) won yesterday.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Maybe if Crystal Ocean had had to run as far as Enable then Enable would have won by 10 lengths!
    I think we both understand horse racing somewhat better than snowinberlin - and agree that the better horse (by a distance) won yesterday.
    Completely agree. It was an awesome performance by Enable. 
  • Options
    Weight for age and mares and fillies allowances have often been questioned but it is a tried and tested system. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

would she have won with the extra 3lb yes or no?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2019
    bobmunro said:

This is far too reductive a way of looking at it. Based on how the race was run, probably not. But what if it was drier? Or if she had a better draw and the race was run to suit?

Sure, maybe the weight allowance helped her win on the day. But that's only one factor. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

You can't be certain one way or the other. It isn't as simple as saying 3lbs = x lengths. Knowing how tough Enable is, I wouldn't be surprised if the extra weight would have made no difference at all. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

You can't be certain one way or the other. It isn't as simple as saying 3lbs = x lengths. Knowing how tough Enable is, I wouldn't be surprised if the extra weight would have made no difference at all. 
    Thats how the official handicapper would look at it
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    yorkhill is a huge price at galway tonight 22/1 skybet are 6 places definately worth a couple of quid ew i think, as if it could somehow reproduce its earlier form could be a massive price.

black corton is of note aswell as trained by nicholls and sent over - with bryony frost in the seat. 

had a reasonably good week doing little punts on goodwood and galway have done a few fun selections for today 

goodwood
    1.50 lil rockerfella money back as cash if 2nd or 3rd - unplaced
    2.25 sir ron prestley ew - won 9/1
    3.00 hand on my heart ew - unplaced
    3.35 circus maximus - 2nd
    4.10 flippa the strippa - 3rd
    5.55 la maquina ew - unplaced

galway
    5.10 dancing on my own - unplaced
    5.40 west coast time ew - NR
    6.10 buttons and bows ew & pivotal flame ew - unplaced & 5th 
    7.20 yorkhill ew & movewiththetimes ew - unseated rider & Fell
    8.00 frosty beach - unplaced
    8.30 eight and bob - unplaced

• Options
    Goodwood:

1.50 - so many live ones but Mancini (14/1 ew, 1/5 1-5 William Hill) and Lil Rockerfeller (4/1 win) are the two I'd shade for. Heard a well-connected VIP has put decent money on LR despite it being a shortish favourite at a mate's company.

2.25 - Sir Ron Priestley (9/1 win) and maybe Dubai Tradition (12/1 e/w)? Tough to judge this and no help from any info, so gonna have to play it safe with Johnston's yard and a potential Godolphin powerhouse type. Three Comets intrigues me, though. Why is an Atzeni-Varian horse 33/1?!

3.00 - god knows. Liberty Beach is my MLW (most likely winner) but absolutely not value, so probably side with Maven (9/2 win) for win purposes and Raahy (18/1 each way) to come forward as an unexposed type.

3.35 - Can't see past Too Darn HotLord Glitters to complete the forecast probably.

4.10 - I don't care.

4.45 - Bentley rates Thimbleweed (12/1 e/w) and I'm happy to take him at face value. Naqaawa (11/2) another to consider.

5.55 - Blackheath (8/1), obviously! Though it's a brutal race for the betting. Will have interests on Charles Molson (14/1 e/w) and Cliffs of Capri (20/1 e/w) though probably as well.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    don't fancy too darn hot at all.  An exciting 2 year old that hasn't developed so just a hype horse.  Quite how winning some egg and spoon race in France makes him red hot for this is beyond me, probably just the Frankie Factor
  • Options
    don't fancy too darn hot at all.  An exciting 2 year old that hasn't developed so just a hype horse.  Quite how winning some egg and spoon race in France makes him red hot for this is beyond me, probably just the Frankie Factor

A £200k Group 1 egg and spoon race! He was mighty impressive as well - but I'm not convinced he truly gets a mile

Circus Maximus is drifting like a barge but based on Ascot form he offers better value at 9/2.

A race to watch I think. 

• Options
    Managed to get Yorkhill @ 25-1, 6 places E/W with a Paddypower power-up.
  • Options
    Ouch... Had Durston there 
  • Options
    What do Judy, Rinder, Bader Ginsburg and PaddyP17 all have in common?

JUDGES. Delightful
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can't say that I follow the flat to any great extent but Circus Maximus looks very backable to me at around 9-2.
  • Options
    crap.  Had 14/1 on Alligator Alley.  Hate coming 2nd
  • Options
    Decent enough performance by Circus Maximus but Too darn hot won with something to spare.
  • Options
    Been backing seconds all day ffs
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    sir ron got me some coin back but topped up on circus maximus ffs
  • Options
    philcafc said:
    Decent enough performance by Circus Maximus but Too darn hot won with something to spare.
    albeit a really poor renewal
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    philcafc said:
    albeit a really poor renewal

We'll see how the rest of the season pans out - QE2 and/or Breeder's Cup Mile may prove him very good or a busted flush.

I'm now convinced though that he gets a mile - just!

• Options
    In the last fortnight Gosden has had 12 winners from 29 runners - and not just at short prices with SPs such as 11/4, 7/2, 11/2, 6/1, 7/1 & 11/1
  • Options
    forest of dean in the opener at goodwood i liked the look of but paul keally has just tipped it up so no chance now!
  • Options
    Would it cost much though the games are filmed anyway just need to set up stream although think might have to pay for rights to do it to EFL. I would definitely pay for it living to far away to travel to every home game.