Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sport of Kings discussion thread

Comments

• Options
    meldrew66 said:
    .....reverse forecast with which other horse Paddy? Siamese?
    Think is suggesting a RFC with MoE and Nobel Prize
  • Options
    MoE was pants. Good call with Nobel Prize.
  • Options
    Gosden and O’Brien are the only two trainers with an entry for the King George on Saturday.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Gosden and O’Brien are the only two trainers with an entry for the King George on Saturday.
    getting to be a closed shop .. rich owners with expensive horses go to the most successful trainers .. and Coolmore has the pick of the offspring of the top sires and dams .. except for K Abdullah .. I've seen talk of restricting trainers to a max 3 runners in any race .. that will lead to fields of 2/3/4 runners .. though there does need to be a rethink regarding Irish runners (O'Brien/Coolmore) .. it is becoming/has almost become an Irish monopoly in winning big UK races 
  • Options
    getting to be a closed shop .. rich owners with expensive horses go to the most successful trainers .. and Coolmore has the pick of the offspring of the top sires and dams .. except for K Abdullah .. I've seen talk of restricting trainers to a max 3 runners in any race .. that will lead to fields of 2/3/4 runners .. though there does need to be a rethink regarding Irish runners (O'Brien/Coolmore) .. it is becoming/has almost become an Irish monopoly in winning big UK races 
    Not sure that would work either unless there was a stipulation that the rule applied say at the beginning of the season because I'm sure all the Coolmore mob would do is switch horses to another of the O'Brien clan. 
  • Options
    Not sure that would work either unless there was a stipulation that the rule applied say at the beginning of the season because I'm sure all the Coolmore mob would do is switch horses to another of the O'Brien clan. 
    This is why I prefer the National Hunt stuff, despite a better nose for the Flat, especially with Gigginstown winding things down by and large. (Even then, they're nowhere near as big an operation as Coolmore/Ballydoyle.)

The Magnier/Smith/Tabor colours tend to dominate the big races - and even the medium ones - and even though there are operations like Cheveley Park or JP McManus' in NH, they don't have the iron grip that Coolmore seem to.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    3 runners in a £400,000 race .. 3rd place picks up over £43,000 .. ridiculous even given the pandemic problems 
  • Options
    Another special performance from Enable. 
  • Options
    Frankie checking the horse behind him when there was still one in front was a picture that’ll be long remembered.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ive got a runner at Glorious tomorrow - Junkanoo in the 145pm, not a betting proposition because its a very tough race and he is the outsider, but as ever I travel in hope ! 
    All the very best mate! Will keep an eye on him.

As for today - my thoughts are as follows:

1.10 - Be More
    1.45 - Oleg (price is now shortening a bit too much though)
    2.15 - not fussed, maybe A Star Above e/w (Haggas at Goodwood)
    2.45 - don't care, maybe Sardinia Sunset
    3.15 - Mohaather (was really impressed last time out and while the Derby was a very odd race I'd rather side with Mohaather than Kameko. Siskin could be a fantastic horse though.)
    3.45 - don't care but Spright probably
    4.20 - Zhui Feng e/w but price is miserly; Kondratiev Wave might be interesting at a big price.
  • Options
    Defoe died this morning on the gallops.

Cue a post from Anna Kissed?
  • Options
    Mohaather seriously impressive. Gotta feel for Kameko, would have pushed the winner to the line with a clear run.
  • Options
    Yes I backed Kameko, wherever he went he seemed to be blocked off. 
  • Options
    Quite a few GN types (intended runners last April) in the Galway Plate this evening.
    Even sans-spectators still likely to be a great occasion but not really a betting proposition for me, though I'll have a wee nibble each-way on joint top-weight Peregrine Run so I can watch it on Bob's website. 
  • Options
    Long shot .. 'Divine Consent' .. Thirsk 7.00 tonight
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Defoe died this morning on the gallops.

Cue a post from Anna Kissed?
    Very sad, was one of my favourite horses.
  • Options
    Indeed always seemed to give his all.
  • Options
    Oh, that is shit. I had no idea and was wondering why there was a "poignant moment" mentioned on ITV Racing. RIP. 
  • Options
    What’s your tips for today paddy ? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ive got a runner at Glorious tomorrow - Junkanoo in the 145pm, not a betting proposition because its a very tough race and he is the outsider, but as ever I travel in hope ! 
    Well done. Won well
  • Options
    You put everyone off a 50/1 winner!!!!

Only joking, congrats.
  • Options
    Fantastic, you must be buzzing.
  • Options
    Congratulations on the winner. Can you shed any light on the name, Junkanoo?
  • Options
    I backed the horse that come 2nd and when I saw a 50/1 shot beat it and saw the name I was convinced I’d had junkaroo on a watch list and had missed it.
    Wasnt until I opened this thread I realised I read it here yesterday.

congratulations.
  • Options
    We could have all been on at 50s and then bought the ground from Roland.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    You put everyone off a 50/1 winner!!!!

Only joking, congrats.

You laugh but I wouldve backed that if he hadnt followed with it being a no-hoper! Made even worse by the fact I had second! :(

Congrats mate, was a great ride!
  • Options
    You could have had the forecast, it paid £311.90 for £1 on the Tote.
  • Options
    Thanks for rubbing that one in! I only backed Zabeel for the Charlton connection aswell... Would have been a Charlton 1-2!