Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sport of Kings discussion thread

Comments

• Options
    Sorry, as soon as I sent that I thought that's a bit harsh.

• Options
    Ed Walker needs to sack Dettori off. Tom Marquand must be chuckling to himself.
  • Options
    Well done alburyaddick
    I sold SPs at 47 at Goodwood today!!!!!!!!!! 
  • Options
    Ive got a runner at Glorious tomorrow - Junkanoo in the 145pm, not a betting proposition because its a very tough race and he is the outsider, but as ever I travel in hope ! 
    Fantastic @alburyaddick
    Many many congratulations. Really pleased for you.
  • Options
    Sorry to be late. Not a great day to have a poke. Rest of the card:

3.15 - Nazeef probably best shout of the day for my liking. Will take Crowley at face value when he says she should stay. Looks a solid prospect.

3.45 - Codebook e/w but the fav is rightly warm

4.20 - watching.

4.55 - Seen a fair few people I know and trust say Salsoul is worth it at the prices. Winter Power hacked up last time but the quick turnaround is a concern.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Sorry to be late. Not a great day to have a poke. Rest of the card:

3.15 - Nazeef probably best shout of the day for my liking. Will take Crowley at face value when he says she should stay. Looks a solid prospect.

3.45 - Codebook e/w but the fav is rightly warm

4.20 - watching.

4.55 - Seen a fair few people I know and trust say Salsoul is worth it at the prices. Winter Power hacked up last time but the quick turnaround is a concern.
    Nazeef my biggest bet of the day, I would strongly advise laying it 
  • Options
    That was an absolutely appalling ride
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    That was an absolutely appalling ride
    I dunno about that. Think Nazeef was unfortunate to hit a flat spot and Crowley had to get going from a long way out, but maybe he could've drawn the whip for encouragement a tad earlier. She wandered around ever so slightly, too.
  • Options
    ITV’s inability to criticise Dettori is nauseating.

The only tweet they showed said English King didn’t travel at all, which is rubbish. FD rode too far off the pace yet again and even when the horse began to pick up he went down the inside which is suicide at Goodwood.
  • Options

The only tweet they showed said English King didn’t travel at all, which is rubbish. FD rode too far off the pace yet again and even when the horse began to pick up he went down the inside which is suicide at Goodwood.
    English King isn't a good enough horse. That's not to do with Dettori. But he didn't exactly give him much of a chance.

ITV can't really bring themselves to criticise any aspect of racing: the Derby was give the narrative of a surprise and oddly-run, rather than people laying into all the jockeys (with the exception of Emmet McNamara and Tom Marquand, and Buick to an extent) - who collectively dropped the ball for one of the most important horse races in the calendar. I'd rather see a little bit of bite, but I guess racing is a niche sport and ITV want to promote it as much as possible given there is limited free-to-air coverage.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Isn't it funny how every losing horse is given a terrible ride. 
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

English King isn't a good enough horse. That's not to do with Dettori. But he didn't exactly give him much of a chance.

ITV can't really bring themselves to criticise any aspect of racing: the Derby was give the narrative of a surprise and oddly-run, rather than people laying into all the jockeys (with the exception of Emmet McNamara and Tom Marquand, and Buick to an extent) - who collectively dropped the ball for one of the most important horse races in the calendar. I'd rather see a little bit of bite, but I guess racing is a niche sport and ITV want to promote it as much as possible given there is limited free-to-air coverage.
    I think it’s too early to write off English King. Given two stinking rides by Dettori. Wouldn’t surprise me if he’s a different proposition next time out under Marquand.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

I think it’s too early to write off English King. Given two stinking rides by Dettori. Wouldn’t surprise me if he’s a different proposition next time out under Marquand.
    The horse was massively over-hyped after Lingfield. That was a very average race. 
  • Options
    I agree we've seem some poor rides so far at Goodwood, but I think English King is simply overrated. 
  • Options
    Maybe Marquand will then them where to stick the ride?
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Isn't it funny how every losing horse is given a terrible ride. 
    Not really. I ain’t even had a bet.

You honestly think Dettori has got the best out of EK on the last two rides?

One trial victory doesn’t make him a world beater I agree, but jockeys should be open to criticism and I’d be saying the same if it was a Class 6 at Wolverhampton.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

I miss Channel 4, of the Greatest Jockey & Big Mac era. Like him or loathe him, Big Mac would call out anybody he felt was due criticism, and the authorities. Big proponent of disqualification for abuse of the whip etc.... which I've always supported. 
    Just the same old nauseating over-hyping of the top dogs that's common to all sport on TV nowadays.  
    Cheers for letting me get that off my chest  :)
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    PaddyP17 said:

I miss Channel 4, of the Greatest Jockey & Big Mac era. Like him or loathe him, Big Mac would call out anybody he felt was due criticism, and the authorities. Big proponent of disqualification for abuse of the whip etc.... which I've always supported. 
    Just the same old nauseating over-hyping of the top dogs that's common to all sport on TV nowadays.  
    Cheers for letting me get that off my chest  :)
    I'm in the loathe camp on Big Mac, not least because he used to have a pop at the bookies when being a) a failed one himself, and b) welched on many debts he racked up with them. But I agree, he called a spade a f*cking shovel when needed.

As for the Greatest Jockey, well was there ever a man who could read a race better as a commentator? There was never a jockey that could ride a race better, that's for sure. People talk about AP, Ruby et al but neither in my opinion are in the same league in terms of horsemanship than Francome - in my lifetime, and opinion, he was the best jump jockey.
  • Options
    I agree with Bob about Francome. He was peerless at presenting a horse at the obstacle be it hurdle or fence and this was almost certainly down to his early showjumping training. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I agree with Bob about Francome. He was peerless at presenting a horse at the obstacle be it hurdle or fence and this was almost certainly down to his early showjumping training. 
    Francome's nephew is Sam Ricketts,  Shrewsbury manager and ex decent player .. the Ricketts family has a background in showjumping
  • Options
    If this isn't reversed then no decision will ever be reversed again. Ryan has at least four or five seconds to correct the horse and just allows Tilsit to drift right until he completely hampers the second. Maybe Tilsit wins anyway, but on viewing it without having Ryan's perspective, it's such an unnecessary bit of riding.
  • Options
    Right well jockeys can do what they like then
  • Options
    Good to see my picks socially distancing at the back.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    If this isn't reversed then no decision will ever be reversed again. Ryan has at least four or five seconds to correct the horse and just allows Tilsit to drift right until he completely hampers the second. Maybe Tilsit wins anyway, but on viewing it without having Ryan's perspective, it's such an unnecessary bit of riding.

Ryan Moore was almost asking to be disqualified in the stewards enquiry. 
    I hear Rab Havlin got off with his recent riding offence on appeal and that was far worse than today's horror show.
    They will wait for a jockey to die, then they will do something about it.

• Options
    Melburnian at Galway 17:15 Each Way 8/1 
  • Options
    Deauville 4.35 today - A Dance to Dawn (EW) - currently around 14/1 - 16/1
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Deauville 4.35 today - A Dance to Dawn (EW) - currently around 14/1 - 16/1
    'Invested' a fiver (not on free sex foive lol)