Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sport of Kings discussion thread

1218219220221222224»

Comments

• Options
    I backed a horse that happened to be owned by Harry Redknapp today (not the reason I backed it). To say I was less than amused with the ride is an understatement. The Stewards took the same view. And rightly so.

An enquiry was held into the running and riding of NORTHERN AIR (IRE), ridden by Paddy Brennan, and trained by Fergal O’Brien, which was held up in rear, before beginning to improve its position racing down the side of the course and then continuing its progress through the field under apparent tender handling up the home straight to finish second of ten runners, beaten by 3¼ lengths. The rider and trainer’s representative were interviewed, and the trainer was interviewed by telephone and recordings of the race were shown. The Veterinary Officer performed two post-race examinations of the mare and had nothing to report on both occasions. The rider stated that his instructions were to switch NORTHERN AIR (IRE) off and take his time as the mare ran extremely keen in her previous race, before weakening in the final furlong, a national hunt flat race at Newbury. Brennan explained that the objective for today’s run was to drop NORTHERN AIR (IRE) out and to get her to finish her race strongly as she was ridden handier at Newbury which resulted in the mare emptying out and finishing the race fairly distressed. He stated that the mare raced keenly throughout and that as he began to make up ground turning into the home straight, he heard NORTHERN AIR (IRE) make a respiratory noise. Brennan continued that being mindful that it was the mare’s first run over hurdles, he wanted to ensure NORTHERN AIR (IRE) finished her race more positively and therefore focused on keeping the bit up in her mouth, being patient and riding her up the straight to hit the line. Brennan reported that he was happy with the mare’s run as she had finished her race strongly today. Both the trainer and trainer’s representative confirmed the instructions and were satisfied the ride accorded with those instructions. Brennan was suspended for 18 days and O’Brien fined £4000 for schooling and conditioning the horse on the racecourse in that Brennan had failed to ride his mount in such a way that he could be seen to ask for timely, real and substantial effort to obtain the best possible placing on NORTHERN AIR (IRE) which was having its first run over hurdles today. NORTHERN AIR (IRE) was suspended from running in any race for 40 days.

• Options
    Nothing would have beaten the favourite 
  • Options
    edited April 9
    Nothing would have beaten the favourite 

Possibly not but we'll never know because the second fav wasn't given a chance to do so given that it was 20 plus lengths off the pace for the duration until coming to the second last (when Northern Air even made a mistake that stopped its progression). That is why the Stewards imposed the maximum penalties, that they are allowed to, of an 18 day suspension for the jockey, £4000 fine for the trainer and 40 day ban for the horse, for "schooling and conditioning the horse on the racecourse in that Brennan had failed to ride his mount in such a way that he could be seen to ask for timely, real and substantial effort to obtain the best possible placing".  

The winner is a 116 rated hurdler and this was its seventh run under Rules and fourth as a hurdler. Northern Air had appeared in one bumper and this was its first as a hurdler. I wouldn't mind betting that Northern Air will prove to be in a short space of time to be the better horse.

I'm not talking through my pocket because I've long since taken this as part and parcel of the game. Where I have an issue is when the Stewards do not take any action to what is blatant schooling. They have done so and in doing that the focus will be on no just Northern Air but other Brennan/O'Brien horses who are given similar orders.  I'm sure that Betfair will be asked by the BHA to look at who layed the horse to the extent that, having been 5/2 with the bookies in the morning, it returned a BSP of 8.31
  • Options
    RIP Shiskin
  • Options
    RIP Shiskin
    Very sad news. He should have been going to Punchestown this week.
    RIP
  • Options
    Goes from bad to worse for Henderson.
    RIP Shishkin