Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tony Watt - (ed. page 16. Confirmed, 3 1/2 year deal)

Comments

• Options

I disagree that we are no longer in touch with the playoffs, we are only nine points adrift.

So are we in touch with 3rd bottom which is only 8 points away
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

I disagree that we are no longer in touch with the playoffs, we are only nine points adrift.

That is why winning games can change things so quickly. With the Championship so close a run of wins can see us shoot up the table to be challenging for the play offs. But with us only winning six, we are going to be looking over our shoulder at the other end of the table. I believe we need strengthening, not to push on to the play offs, but to stop us being dragged into a relegation dogfight.

This could possibly be the single most important month since Bob started. We arrest the slide and start turning even a few draws into wins and we'll be safe enough with time to spare, fail to strengthen and start losing more and we'll be looking over our shoulders by the end of the month. Bob's got to be decisive and he's got to make the right decisions - January and February are going to make or break not only this season but next as well in terms of how Roly sees Charlton vis a vis the Network I imagine.
  • Options

Think that's something lost in translation tbh, will be interesting to see how this turns out

Bob speaks perfectly good English. It's no secret he has little say in transfers.
  • Options

Yes we are still in touch with 3rd bottom due to recent form and will be more than ok if we bring in 2 players of Vetokele / JBG standard. But if the players come in and they don't fire then yes the focus will switch to surviving relegation instead though I'm confident based on last summer's recruitment we'll be ok and shouldn't get sucked in.
  • Options
    we desperately need some fresh British blood in the squad . according to today's 'Times'. Watt's on the 'verge of signing', le's hope this is so.
  • Options

we desperately need some fresh British blood in the squad . according to today's 'Times'. Watt's on the 'verge of signing', le's hope this is so.

Blimey he's been with us for at least a week, how much time is needed to get him off the verge and onto our fast lane!!
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

dickplumb said:

From the SLP.

BOB Peeters is not worried about Tony Watt's attitude as the former Celtic striker looks set to be one of Charlton's first signings of the January window.

The 20-year-old striker signed a long-term deal with Standard Liege in the summer but has failed to settle in Belgium.

And Watt was in the crowd for Charlton's 1-1 Boxing Day draw with Cardiff City.

Celtic boss Ronny Deila questioned the player's dedication when he was allowed to leave Parkhead.

But Peeters said: "I know him [Watt]. He's an interesting player.

"He's now at Standard - I don't think he's a player to play there. I think he's a player that needs to be in Britain.

"If Tony Watt must come here I think I can work with him, no problem. It's all about communication. Every player ran their socks off against Cardiff - that's the most important thing.

"If you come here you need to be honest. If he doesn't do his job, whether he comes or not, the crowd will kill him."

Bit that sticks out to me
    Yup, that's what I thought.
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

dickplumb said:

From the SLP.

BOB Peeters is not worried about Tony Watt's attitude as the former Celtic striker looks set to be one of Charlton's first signings of the January window.

The 20-year-old striker signed a long-term deal with Standard Liege in the summer but has failed to settle in Belgium.

Celtic boss Ronny Deila questioned the player's dedication when he was allowed to leave Parkhead.

"He's now at Standard - I don't think he's a player to play there. I think he's a player that needs to be in Britain.

"If Tony Watt must come here I think I can work with him, no problem. It's all about communication. Every player ran their socks off against Cardiff - that's the most important thing.

"If you come here you need to be honest. If he doesn't do his job, whether he comes or not, the crowd will kill him."

"Just do as your told Mr Peeters".
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kap10 said:

Blimey he's been with us for at least a week, how much time is needed to get him off the verge and onto our fast lane!!
    life in the fast lane ..... surely make you lose your mind .. Glenn Frey & Don Henley ... ((:>) .. we need some pace and aggression .. sign him f f s .. if he's a flop then send him back to SubStandard Liege
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited January 2015
    CAFCsayer said:

dickplumb said:

From the SLP.

RD won't like that much. Very true about the crowd though. TW will need to do his absolute best. Charlton crowd will give him a chance. Charlton crowds can forgive a player not being a world champion as long as they give everything.
  • Options

I disagree that we are no longer in touch with the playoffs, we are only nine points adrift. It sounds a lot but there is only a 5 point spread between 3rd and 6th place, it's not as though 3rd, 4th and 5th are out of sight over the hills and only 6th is up for grabs. The fact the spread is so tight means every week you can guarantee 3 or 4 teams between 3rd and 12th are going to drop points every round of fixtures played. All it would take is a run of form at some point in the 2nd half of the season say something like 23 points from 10 games (though not necessarily the next 10 games) on the basis we do strengthen the team with another player or two of Vetokele / JBG standard and we'll be right back in the play off mix.

2 seasons ago we finished the season strongly and only missed out on the play offs by 2 points in the end, this after being a lot lower in the table than where we are now. We have drawn a lot of games this season due to a lack of goals to kill off games we should have won. Get that 2nd striker and I don't see why we can't win more games and still be in the play off mix, we're far from out of touch with the playoffs IMO.

I agreed with you in regards to this, but just checked the table on New Year's Day 2013. Although we were fifteenth that season we were seven points off play offs.
  • Options
    Of the games we have won who can honestly say any were comfortable victories.Just as many points won "by the skin of our teeth" as have been "given away".
  • Options

I disagree that we are no longer in touch with the playoffs, we are only nine points adrift. It sounds a lot but there is only a 5 point spread between 3rd and 6th place, it's not as though 3rd, 4th and 5th are out of sight over the hills and only 6th is up for grabs. The fact the spread is so tight means every week you can guarantee 3 or 4 teams between 3rd and 12th are going to drop points every round of fixtures played. All it would take is a run of form at some point in the 2nd half of the season say something like 23 points from 10 games (though not necessarily the next 10 games) on the basis we do strengthen the team with another player or two of Vetokele / JBG standard and we'll be right back in the play off mix.

2 seasons ago we finished the season strongly and only missed out on the play offs by 2 points in the end, this after being a lot lower in the table than where we are now. We have drawn a lot of games this season due to a lack of goals to kill off games we should have won. Get that 2nd striker and I don't see why we can't win more games and still be in the play off mix, we're far from out of touch with the playoffs IMO.

I agreed with you in regards to this, but just checked the table on New Year's Day 2013. Although we were fifteenth that season we were seven points off play offs.
    Fair point though I was looking at it more from around March? I'm sure Brighton away when we drew 0-0 we were a lot closer to the bottom 3 at the time and then we went on that run at the end?
  • Options

Fair point though I was looking at it more from around March? I'm sure Brighton away when we drew 0-0 we were a lot closer to the bottom 3 at the time and then we went on that run at the end?
    14th at the time and ten points off play offs (which was actually Brighton, so the 0-0 was a superb result).
  • Options
    Looks like a done deal. He's currently on the pitch taking part in shooting practice.
  • Options

Looks like a done deal. He's currently on the pitch taking part in shooting practice.

good
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Thought that was him.
  • Options

Surely practicing is too strenuous for him? Did he pick a fight with a mascot? If not maybe all the rumours aren't true after all. :)
  • Options
    More importantly - can he shoot?

Or were the crowd more under threat than the goalie?

Or does he strike with the power of Churchinho?
  • Options
    He must me pissing himself laughing after seeing our forwards today.
  • Options
    Couldn't hit a cows arse with a Banjo in the warm up today.
  • Options
    BP now saying he 'hopes to sign Tony Watt by monday'. What exactly have they been doing the last two weeks? Did no one mention he'd need to sign a contract in order to play?
  • Options
    cafc4life said:

Brilliant. Hope he never gets a game, he's already been condemned.
  • Options

cafc4life said:

Brilliant. Hope he never gets a game, he's already been condemned.
    Not saying he won't do the business for us, just saying what I saw today