Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tony Watt - (ed. page 16. Confirmed, 3 1/2 year deal)

Comments

• Options
    has he signed or not? i haven't got time to go through all this, as i've got to catch the evening tide.
  • Options

has he signed or not? i haven't got time to go through all this, as i've got to catch the evening tide.

I can see this ebbing away!
  • Options
    Sorry Sillav - looks like you will have to wade through all these posts.
  • Options

_nam11 said:

fear not. Spongefoot will start on Saturday

Nothing wrong with the Tucedean / Vetokele partnership...unless one of them is injured,
    Yeah, that partnership is just full of goals
  • Options
    I think he's signed in all but the physical act which he can't do until the window opens on Saturday. Therefore he won't play vs Blackburn but should make his debut against Brighton the following week.
  • Options
    T.C.E said:

I can see this ebbing away!
    Best play him in home game first.
  • Options
    drewman said:

I think he's signed in all but the physical act which he can't do until the window opens on Saturday. Therefore he won't play vs Blackburn but should make his debut against Brighton the following week.

I thought he could sign but just not be registered with the FA or something like that ?
  • Options
    Thing is we can sign a player outside of the window, but unless they are without a club they have to wait until the next window opens, before they can play. Like when we signed Hermann.
  • Options
    How bright is he? 100 or 60.
  • Options

I don't think an IQ test is part of a footballer's medical, but maybe it should be...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I am also prepared to give him a chance (or at least a few chances) as i will with any players that we bring in. My concern is Bob's comment in that "if he must come here". Sounds like its not his choice and being forced upon him, although i think we established this before that he doesn't have a lot of say who comes in.
  • Options

Very good. I liked that one
  • Options
    Has to be 60, I do not think you can get 100 anymore
  • Options
    Watt will have electric pace and will light up the Valley
  • Options
    Madz said:

I am also prepared to give him a chance (or at least a few chances) as i will with any players that we bring in. My concern is Bob's comment in that "if he must come here". Sounds like its not his choice and being forced upon him, although i think we established this before that he doesn't have a lot of say who comes in.

Where did he say that? That doesn't sound good, but I guess the context will be important.
  • Options
    From the SLP.

BOB Peeters is not worried about Tony Watt's attitude as the former Celtic striker looks set to be one of Charlton's first signings of the January window.

The 20-year-old striker signed a long-term deal with Standard Liege in the summer but has failed to settle in Belgium.

And Watt was in the crowd for Charlton's 1-1 Boxing Day draw with Cardiff City.

Celtic boss Ronny Deila questioned the player's dedication when he was allowed to leave Parkhead.

But Peeters said: "I know him [Watt]. He's an interesting player.

"He's now at Standard - I don't think he's a player to play there. I think he's a player that needs to be in Britain.

"If Tony Watt must come here I think I can work with him, no problem. It's all about communication. Every player ran their socks off against Cardiff - that's the most important thing.

"If you come here you need to be honest. If he doesn't do his job, whether he comes or not, the crowd will kill him."
  • Options
    Think that's something lost in translation tbh, will be interesting to see how this turns out
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

Ah, the good old cliche from Peeters. He said the same about Delort every week!
  • Options

Think that's something lost in translation tbh, will be interesting to see how this turns out

Looks pretty clear to me.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Looks pretty clear to me.

Me too,
    Unscrupulous Perfectionist fickle killers you say? Really? ..... Not in the west stand lower my bald Belgian friend
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

From the SLP.

BOB Peeters is not worried about Tony Watt's attitude as the former Celtic striker looks set to be one of Charlton's first signings of the January window.

The 20-year-old striker signed a long-term deal with Standard Liege in the summer but has failed to settle in Belgium.

And Watt was in the crowd for Charlton's 1-1 Boxing Day draw with Cardiff City.

Celtic boss Ronny Deila questioned the player's dedication when he was allowed to leave Parkhead.

"He's now at Standard - I don't think he's a player to play there. I think he's a player that needs to be in Britain.

"If Tony Watt must come here I think I can work with him, no problem. It's all about communication. Every player ran their socks off against Cardiff - that's the most important thing.

"If you come here you need to be honest. If he doesn't do his job, whether he comes or not, the crowd will kill him."

Crickey, even Bob's getting worried about selfies sticks.
  • Options
    Depending upon cup progress we might have a fair few games in January and February. Many of us are becoming increasingly impatient with progress slowing. Is this because the squad lacks depth or Peeters failing to get the best out of whoever is available?

We all want better players because we want us to push on but I fear we may have to wait for the summer to see our squad take the next step up...when Church and others depart.

We simply don't know whether M.Duchatelet and Staprix will step up the funding for higher losses in order to fast track progress.

The only nailed down statement (aside from "avoiding relegation ") was to state we would "acquire one or two quality players if we were in touch with the top six". Well, due to the scarcity of wins in November and December we are no longer in touch and pressure must be mounting to break out of this near winless run of 13 points from 13 games. For sure there might be clashes behind the scenes, given the experience of players and that over half of the squad are new to the club.

And for reference, clubs like Derby, Burnley, Bournemouth and other clubs in the top ten spend (and lose) more money than us. More importantly they have spent a far longer time building their squads. I would suggest that the origin of their players is far less important than the simple fact that they've spent 18-30 months getting to where they are. Impossible to predict our first XI in 12 months time but most would agree we are in a good place now and that it will take x additions for £Xm over the next two / three windows for cafc to step up.

@Mundell Fleming‌ and I covered this in a piece for the trust on the finances for this and last season. But we made no reference to 2015-16 as there are simply no clues as to what the plan will be: more of the same minimal losses (£4-5m) and relying on "organic growth" OR add say £1-2m to the losses by increasing the playing squad budget through the addition of more quality? It all costs money and simply raises the chances of buying a play-off place from 5-10% up to perhaps 30%?

On the upside we have an owner with deep pockets and he's getting on too! So perhaps he's not inclined to wait too long to improve our chances. What happens when we arrive at the FAPL is a completely different story. Right now if Tony Watts makes his debut vs Brighton (not Blackburn due to strange shift in deadlines) and he makes a difference then great.

But if he is another Thuram, another £1.3m Liege mistake then it won't be tolerated. So frustrating because we all saw something in the first two months of the season and we want the next step up. For sure we understand you have to give existing players a chance and the management need pressure and challenges - they have to prove themselves.

But half of us have been following this club since the 60s and 70s and we know when owners, management and players are aligned, pushing this club on or when there is a disconnect between capital, management, talent and fans. Asking Tony Watt to help close that gap is a big ask...personally I think it will take more quality and serious transfers to out perform the likes of Blackburn, Wednesday and there's...
    Let's see.

• Options
    barstool said:

Watt will have electric pace and will light up the Valley

That's really quite bright of you
  • Options
    At the end of the day beggars can't be choosers he's got to be worth a punt. Can he be worse than (bless him) Joe Piggott whose been on the bench recently?
  • Options
    'If he doesn't do his job, whether he comes here or not, the crowd will kill him'.

Poor bloke, on a hiding to nothing then.