Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Silly local things you remember from years back

Comments

• Options
    T.C.E said:

White dog poo

People often ask why you dont see white dog poo anymore. I think a lot of it is down to people being better with scooping their dog crap away, and better and more efficient street cleaning. I reckon white dog poo is basically just old dog crap that hasnt been cleaned up.
    The reason it turned white was down to the bone meal in dog food and the decomposition of bilirubin.
    I see where your coming from with excessive amounts of bonemeal in the poorer quality foods, but isn't bilirubin excreted through the urine?
    Yes and no............is in all waste matter we excrete. (and gives it the colours we know.)
  • Options
    A shoe shop in town that had one of those tubes where the money would be sent along it when there was a purchase. Used to love watching it shoot round the ceiling before disappearing upstairs.
  • Options
    The 122 Routemaster Bus to Bexleyheath, hop off when you wanted.
    Buying 14 hole DM's at Woolwich covered Market.
    Gigs at the Thames Poly.
  • Options
    Badger said:

Catching a green line 725 bus From Widmore Green(Bromley) To Heathrow, No Longer runs.

God that bus (Unless I'm thinking of the 726) ran from Bexleyheath to Heathrow via. Bromley

When I was allowed to get the Bus home rather than walk I'd sometimes pay £1 (which was more than the usual fare) to get to Bexleyheath quicker on that from Sidcup rather than get the 229 or 269
  • Options
    Squashing tar bubbles walking road up the road from Gasworks to Martins Grove baths ... doing that thing with the number of you bus ticket like so many born one died none left or something
  • Options
    Combat jackets and buying badges from the army surplus stall in woolwich indoor market
  • Options
    Silver lounge in Bexleyheath, back when a bottle of coca-cola was a treat

People queuing properly for a bus in really long lines in Woolwich. It's just a flash mob when the bus turns up now!

Nuxley Toys in Belvedere. A tiny little shop absolutely crammed with stuff. My pocket money was converted into a new star wars figure or plastic model kit every Saturday morning

Sparrows, never see them anymore. Maybe all the green parakeets ate them?!
  • Options
    Model shop in Burnt Ash Lane. Heading down there with your pocket money burning a hole in your sweaty palms, to buy another box of Airfix soldiers...
  • Options
    S&N Poor corner shop on the corner of Pickford Lane. She was always about 98 years old that woman
  • Options
    The boating pond in Greenwich Park.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lived in Roan St Greenwich in the late 60's - I remember the shop behind St Alfege church that had a toy monkey on a bike. The bike used to travel on a line fitted just below the ceiling and across the shop. That was a treat to watch.
  • Options
    Beatties in Lewisham where I would go for air fix models and subbuteo stuff.
    Shelley's in Deptford High Street where we would all go for Kickers shoes

• Options
    Cheismans in Lewisham. Mum used to take us Christmas to see Santa, well until they banned me, I was 25 though I suppose...
  • Options
    Sitting on cox's mount watching the sunset
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Phillips toy shop in Dartford, was there any better.
    Policeman directing traffic in towns.
    Lolly pop ladies.
    Open air swimming pools.
    Short trousers and chapped legs, school caps and ties.
    The ride to see Father Christmas in the co-op at Dartford, what a ride that was.
  • Options

Combat jackets and buying badges from the army surplus stall in woolwich indoor market

Sams I believe it was called.
  • Options
    Those elasticated belts we had to hold up our short trousers with an 's' shaped link looked like a snake.
    Carts made out of rope, wood, pram wheels and a great big bolt.
  • Options

The old cinema at Bexleyheath (before it got knocked down) and the liitle sweet shop opposite that used to sell the ice polls for 5p.

Wasnt that where the Rat and Parrot pub used to be?
    Probably the one where Asda now is, that managed to get permission to demolish small shops, a market, a clubhouse, part of some playing fields, ten pin bowling and of the course the cinema!
  • Options

White dog poo

Some in my garden if you want some?

• Options

Sitting on cox's mount watching the sunset

Didn't he get banged up as part of Yewtree NLA?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Sams Army Surplus - now that does bring back memories. I don't think it was in the covered market - just up from there (shoe shop on corner then Sams).
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Sams Army Surplus - now that does bring back memories. I don't think it was in the covered market - just up from there (shoe shop on corner then Sams).
    Yeah that's right, it was near the covered market. My mum used to go shopping in Woolwich (and drag us kids around with her) into the covered market, the outdoor market crammed with stalls on the old cobbled road with the last remains of a tram line in London still visible, down Powis Street before it was pedestrianised, probably into the Co-op or Cuffs.
  • Options

The ride to see Father Christmas in the co-op at Dartford, what a ride that was.

These are two of my own great memories as a kid.
  • Options
    Getting chased out of Erith Swimming baths on a saturday morning by Malcolm the weird lifeguard.

Going indoor market up bexleyheath, opposite the old police station, for loads of sweets.

Taking the 96 bus to Woolwich with my dear old nan and sitting upstairs at the front.

Danson Disco and getting hold of 15 girls and being gutted cos your mate kissed 16.

• Options
    edited July 2014

bobmunro said:

Yeah that's right, it was near the covered market. My mum used to go shopping in Woolwich (and drag us kids around with her) into the covered market, the outdoor market crammed with stalls on the old cobbled road with the last remains of a tram line in London still visible, down Powis Street before it was pedestrianised, probably into the Co-op or Cuffs.
    Now you're talking memories.

Cuffs and Garrets departmental stores - The Co-op restaurant, not the posh silver service one on the top floor but the cafe on the next floor down where I used to go at lunchtime from school for a plate of chips and baked beans!

Walking down to the market on a Sunday morning with my dad for shellfish (and jellied eels for my nan).

Saturday morning pictures at the ABC with the short, fat, bald manager who hated kids. Every week kids used to go on stage if it was their birthday, and if they showed their cards they would get free entry the following week. I'm sure the same kids used to go up every week!
  • Options
    The TV repair man.
    The fact my parents and most of my friends' having to rent their TV from a shop in eltham.
    'Pop' bottles being a form of currency due to the return value.
    Parks that actually closed by a parkie ringing a bell.
    Red bus rover tickets.
  • Options
    Another thing I remember a a kid in south London was finding those small E shaped pieces of metal think they were used by builders .Am I the only one
    ?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Queueing for the 192 bus in Beresford Square watching the live eels squirming in the tray at the shop front of Manzies.

It always seemed to be dark and raining and the queue seemed to go on for ever.
  • Options
    The Jolly Friar in Bexleyheath.

The only place to get a late night bite at one time.
  • Options
    CHG said:

These are two of my own great memories as a kid.
    Took all my kids to the Coop ride at Dartford. In one door out the other! Fantastic.