Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Silly local things you remember from years back

Comments

• The Pointer, he was an asian oily lamp that used to stand down by Erith market just pointing at stuff/people with his umbrella. Once saw him at outside Eltham Maccy D's pointing so assumed he was on tour!!
  • I remember Pointy. Don't know how true it is, but the legend was he went mad after his daughter got run over and killed, he spent the rest of his days pointing and shouting at passing cars.
  • Raising your arm and leg like Harry Worth at the electricity board shop in Petts Wood.
  • Fella with accordian in the valley club sunday afternoons
  • The rasta tramp was Joshua your right
  • The rasta tramp was Joshua your right
  • Growing up on Abbey Wood Estate before Thamesmead was built; playing over the Sewer bank or on the old iron Railway bridge over Nathan Way; or exploring the streams and fields that ran between Harrow Manorway, Crossness and the Belvedere gas holders. Happy days.
  • Buying Patrick boots at Alpat Sports in Lee High Rd. Loved Patrick boots.
    Dinosaurs and adventure playground at Crystal Palace Park.
  • @sirjohnhumphrey‌ - remember queuing at Alpats on its opening day in the 70's. Geoff Hurst was signing autographs which I subsequently lost !!
  • edited July 2014
    Swapping stuff with your mates to get home and get a bollocking for some Ill judged swap.
  • Sponsored links:

• Dreaming of a pair of Reebok Royal from Jubilee sports but knowing full well you was gonn get a pair of fckin Hi Tech Jazz from the Indoor Market
  • As a child, going to the Valley on a cold day, standing at the open end, but not feeling cold because there were so many people around you. Very useful on a windy day. Loved the monkey nuts.
  • Wallaby shoes
  • On the way home from the Valley standing outside a TV shop window in Lewisham hoping to see the football results come up.
  • the r.a.f. kidbrooke pre-fab housing where i lived until 5. presumably flattened for what, nowadays?
  • Waiting for the pink classified at about 6pm at the top of Victoria Way
  • edited July 2014
    Few I forgot

Seeing Smoky Joe on his tyreless bike around our road in Albany Park.

Pease pudding and faggot van that used to come round in Albany Park.

Sliding down the parcel chutes at Sidcup station until getting chased off.

Gazing longingly at a pair of Bobby Charlton football boots for weeks in Barnetts window at Cotmandene and badgering my mum for them only
    to be saddled with a pair of Woolworths finest Nat Lofthouse!! Reason being 'You're only a goalkeeper'.

But later, getting my first pair of screw ins at Bruces in Orpington

Being sent on an errand to the shops 20 minutes before the 1966 World Cup Final.

American Civil War cards with the bubble gum.

Being sent to the chippy every friday evening for the family dinner.

Playing five a side in the gym at school with those Mitre plastic type balls that stung like f**k if you caught one on the thigh.

Football matches during double games lessons on the pitches between Midfield Boys and Girls schools and hoofing it towards the girls classrooms hoping you'd see your girlfriend/girl you fancied.

And err, has anyone said 'jumpers for goalposts'?

• Gazing longingly at a pair of Bobby Charlton football boots for weeks in Barnetts window at Cotmandene and badgering my mum for them only
    to be saddled with a pair of Woolworths finest Nat Lofthouse!! Reason being 'You're only a goalkeeper'.

I always had moulded rubber studs when all the cool kids had screw-ins. My parent's impeccable logic was that as a growing lad I would outgrow the boots before I wore down the studs but, of course, that wasn't what I wanted to hear.
  • Travelling by train to night games from Dartford with my brother in the early seventies. Fast from Woolwich Arsenal to Dartford on the way home. The Slade Green Charlton Herbert's would pull the communication cord just outside Slade Green Station every time and casually bowl down the platform and into the Railway Tavern.
  • Being able to buy a single cigarette and a book of matches.
  • Sponsored links:

• 1st August, looking out for new reg cars.

• American Civil War cards with the bubble gum.

Also the dollar bills that came with them in different denominations
  • Playing in dumped cars
  • Being a child and getting on the 122 and 161 buses when they were Routemasters
  • Playing in dumped cars

You must have grown up in Thamesmead..... ;-)
  • collecting conkers in Bexley Mental grounds and being chased out by the "patients"
    phillips toy shop in Dartford for Scalextric parts
    big bus adventures to Welling for the comic shop right down near the station
    big bus adventures to Bexleyheath for the cinema, where Asda is now, don't remember it being in the Rat and Parrot
    21 routefinder bus to school from Hickorys to Sidcup, but a 233 boring bus with doors home again..?
    chucking the cauliflower cheese (or whatever other unedible guff we'd made in Home Economics class) out the top window of the 233 at cyclists on the way home from school
    happy daze and lunar jetman on the spectrum (as soon as you'd finished watching dangermouse anyway)
    the hours spent riding my silver raleigh grifter

• American Civil War cards with the bubble gum.

remember those cards as if it was yesterday ! some bloodthirsty scenes on them as i remember...the bubble gum was awful !

• lolwray said:

American Civil War cards with the bubble gum.

remember those cards as if it was yesterday ! some bloodthirsty scenes on them as i remember...the bubble gum was awful !

Just reading that brought the memory of the taste back in my mouth. Very plasticky taste.
  • School milk accompanied by a cod liver oil capsule at Roper Street school in Eltham
  • edited August 2014
    Some more (I love this thread).

- Pyramid lollies (not Jubles as these were on a stick - like frozen Slush Puppies)
    - Gob Stoppers
    - Buying stamps in the small covered market next to the Co-op supermarket
    - Paying off weekly from my paper round money for a pair of Squire's Brogues - and only getting them when it was all paid!
    - Harrington jackets and Ben Shermans
    - Six solid sunny weeks of playing football from dawn to dusk in the school holidays
    - Monkey Nuts
    - Playing (trying to play) tennis at the courts on Plumstead Common
    - The prefabs off Swingate Lane
    - Free bar all day in 1977 for the Silver Jubilee at Plumstead Radical Club
    - Every other shop in Woolwich being a shoe shop.
    - Macdonalds opening their first UK store in Powis Street - but still preferred the American Beefburger Bar next to Lord John clothes shop
    - Looking in the window at clothes in Lord John's thinking how the feck am I going to aford that?