Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Silly local things you remember from years back

Comments

• Nitty Nora coming to your school to check your hair
  • Having my first meal in a pub The White Swan Crayford felt well posh !!
  • Playing on the Umbrella ride at the park, and trying to rock it of the centre poll, way too dangerous now.

Wheelieing my Raleigh Chopper for what felt like miles.
    Landing said wheely and smashing my Davinas on the gear stick.

My god we was 'ard back then.
  • Squires brogues, now you're talking.
    A tonic mohair suit for posing in.
  • edited August 2014
    Going with my grandad in his van to the petrol station in Herbert Road and hearing him say to the white coated assistant "4 shots and 4 gallons please mate" and then watching him hand over a 10 bob note and get change!

EDIT: Does anyone (March 51 maybe) know the purpose of "shots?"
  • LenGlover said:

Going with my grandad in his van to the petrol station in Herbert Road and hearing him say to the white coated assistant "4 shots and 4 gallons please mate" and then watching him hand over a 10 bob note and get change!

EDIT: Does anyone (March 51 maybe) know the purpose of "shots?"

Probably an upper cylinder head cleaner like redex
  • edited August 2014
    More an age thing of course but that initial excitement of a new girlfriend when you were aged 14 upwards. The various devious ways you employed to get intimate, or more to the point, more intimate with the poor young unsuspecting girl. The joy of finding out she was perhaps less unsuspecting than you or your mates had initially thought.

My route. Early evening film at the Well Hall Odeon then a leisurely walk down Well Hall Road, past the Yorkshire Grey and into Sutcliffe Park and on a summers evening a fumble in the grass round the back of the old running track, keeping one eye out for a Parky, whilst cracking the enigma code that would get you into her bra or knickers. Alan Turing, eat your heart out! My route always will be.
  • haircuts corner
  • swaddlings
  • Sponsored links:

• the number of lollysticks you used to find in the gutter
  • how confectionery was bigger
  • edited August 2014

Few I forgot

Seeing Smoky Joe on his tyreless bike around our road in Albany Park.

Pease pudding and faggot van that used to come round in Albany Park.

Sliding down the parcel chutes at Sidcup station until getting chased off.

Gazing longingly at a pair of Bobby Charlton football boots for weeks in Barnetts window at Cotmandene and badgering my mum for them only
    to be saddled with a pair of Woolworths finest Nat Lofthouse!! Reason being 'You're only a goalkeeper'.

But later, getting my first pair of screw ins at Bruces in Orpington

Being sent on an errand to the shops 20 minutes before the 1966 World Cup Final.

American Civil War cards with the bubble gum.

Being sent to the chippy every friday evening for the family dinner.

Playing five a side in the gym at school with those Mitre plastic type balls that stung like f**k if you caught one on the thigh.

Football matches during double games lessons on the pitches between Midfield Boys and Girls schools and hoofing it towards the girls classrooms hoping you'd see your girlfriend/girl you fancied.

And err, has anyone said 'jumpers for goalposts'?

• Prefabs on Rochester way before welling way
    wooden steps over the railway at the bottom of Church Mannorway Abbey Wood/Plumsread
    Loud bangs making your windows shake from the woolwich arsenal testing big guns
    Saturday morning pictures at the plumstead century c/o garibaldi street
    The Plaza cinemar in plumstead High street opp Kentmere road
    Now your thinking how old is this geeza, well old enough to still enjoy reading your post,s on here. keep it up lads,,
  • Mr and Mrs Plastow (?spelling) in "The Hut" in Plum lane

Mr Goodall the cobbler round the back of Herbert Road / Barnfield Gardens

"Deadly" Dudley Burns the barber in Herbert Road

Delroys in Herbert Road a kind of ancient prototype for modern supermarkets
  • "Delroys" remember them I think he had a place in the hollow plumstead common too..
  • Going with my nan to WH Smith in Bexleyheath and opening the special drawer with my weekly dinasaur magazine in it. I still have the finished model!
  • The woods you could cut through that ran from Constitution Rise up to Ankerdine Crescent Donaldson Road area.

On the same theme unmade roads like Occupation Lane and the alley that ran down to Herbert Road between Eglinton Hill and Brinklow Crescent area.

The great big houses with loads of grounds in Shrewsbury Lane on the other side of the road to The Bull. All long gone and replaced by smaller dwellings.
  • Going to see the Dave Clark five and the Kinks plus other groups at the cinema in woolwich that is now a church by the ferry and not being able to hear them due to the girls screaming and stamping of feet.
  • standing on Blackheath station with my dad and the station porter coming out with a green sign he put up which said "charlton special" -----------never sure what made it "special" officially but it was to a young kid with his dad.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2014

Saturday morning pictures at Well Hall Odeon. Having enough money to buy a hotdog there.
    Climbing to the top of Sevendroog Castle in Castlewoods.
    My mum taking me to the café at the top of Oxleas Meadow.
    The prefabs in Oxleas (where we lived when I was a kid).
    The scorebox in the South East corner of The Valley.
    Newspapers being sold with '3.30 winners and the half times' as we left The Valley. How did they do that ?
    The rather large peanut seller....

You could see all the way to Windsor Castle from Sevendroog Castle on a clear day at one time. Doubtless something has been built to render that untrue these days.

Am I making this up or was there a putting green near Sevendroog Castle? I have memories of playing (or trying to play at the young age I was) putting with my grandmother and I think it was there.
  • LenGlover said:

The woods you could cut through that ran from Constitution Rise up to Ankerdine Crescent Donaldson Road area.

On the same theme unmade roads like Occupation Lane and the alley that ran down to Herbert Road between Eglinton Hill and Brinklow Crescent area.

The great big houses with loads of grounds in Shrewsbury Lane on the other side of the road to The Bull. All long gone and replaced by smaller dwellings.

There was also the alley that led from Moordown up to Shewsbury lane and came out opposite the sweet shop where the paddling pool was at Foxcroft.

I remember skateboarding (sat down) in the road all the way down Donaldson road , proper steep , long , scary road.
  • Sitting on a wheel arch in the back of my grandad's Thames van with my sister on the other one and our luggage scattered about when we went on holiday to Cornwall as a very small lad.

'Elf and Safety eat your heart out!

On the same journey we stopped by Stonehenge and were able to walk right up to it and I took a picture with my kiddie camera which I may still have somewhere.

These days you can't get within miles of Stonehenge without cavity searches and officious people wanting to know everything from your inside leg measurement to your sexual orientation...
  • Getting a free bag of crackling from Lynams chippie in Crayford Road after spending the day swimming at Martens Grove.
  • Being able to buy potassium nitrate and sulphur from Cuffs
    Catching newts and frogs in Rockcliffe Gardens then selling them to the pet store in the covered market... then spending the proceeds in the Rainbow Cafe
    Buying 1d worth of batter scrapings from the chippy in Spray Street
    Smoking on Woolwich ferry while wearing short trousers and roller skates
    Burtons Potato Puffs... not local but very tasty and much missed
    Sachets of milk shake flavour that made school milk drinkable
    Football boot store room at Earl Rise primary... didn't have our own boots in the '60's
    Matchless motorbike factory... Manufacturing! Just down the road
    Being scared of Bell Water Gate because someone drowned there
    Stone fights on demolition sites using air raid shelters... for shelter
    Grass sledging down the big dip on Plumstead Common

• buckshee said:

LenGlover said:

The woods you could cut through that ran from Constitution Rise up to Ankerdine Crescent Donaldson Road area.

There was also the alley that led from Moordown up to Shewsbury lane and came out opposite the sweet shop where the paddling pool was at Foxcroft.

I remember skateboarding (sat down) in the road all the way down Donaldson road , proper steep , long , scary road.
    I think, if memory serves me right, the alley between Shrewsbury Lane and Moordown is Occupation Lane.
  • White dog poo

Is white dog poo a local phenomenon?

• Going with my dad to buy Pink Paraffin and wishing we could get Esso Blue because their adverts were better. What happened to paraffin anyway - is it illegal now or something? It must be about 30 years since I've seen one of those machines.
  • Stig said:

Going with my dad to buy Pink Paraffin and wishing we could get Esso Blue because their adverts were better. What happened to paraffin anyway - is it illegal now or something? It must be about 30 years since I've seen one of those machines.

It's been rebranded as Fosters Lager. ;)

• white dog poo is now Fosters Lager ?