Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Silly local things you remember from years back

Comments

• Options

S&N Poor corner shop on the corner of Pickford Lane. She was always about 98 years old that woman

mate, you brought back memories there @Sonicstud85‌

Old girls running newsagents, post offices etc. Grew up just round the corner from Poors, greatest day of my life was when she refused to sell me fags for the 50th time and I pulled out my National Insurance card you got at 16 !
  • Options
    buckshee said:

This

Brilliant @buckshee‌ !

Me, my mum and brother used to get the 89 from Bexleyheath to go to Lewisham just to see that (was it C&A) ?

Bus seemed to take forever, used it love sitting on the top deck and it clattering into the trees going up Shooters Hill !

• Options
    Steam locos shunting at the botom of our garden in marmadon road
    Watching me brother play football for Park Rangers in the C I A club in church mannorway where the Abbey wood estate is now
    No spitting signs in all railway stations
    Horse and carts for RACS milk and bread deliveries
    Walking past about twenty pubs from plumstead bridge to Beresford square
  • Options

The Polo bar (Bexleyheath)
    The Trading Post (Bexleyheath)
    The Moon & Sixpence (Welling)

Three great places to get served if you were under 18.

do we know each other @Brendan_O_Connell‌ ? If not, our paths must severely have crossed back in 90s !!

• Options
    Love reading people's old memories, even from a different era.

Any 80s kids used to go the 'summer camps' they used to run at Crook Log Sports Centre over the summer holidays? Run by centre staff and a few local teachers like John Sawyer?

Getting your sports gear from Gentry's Sports on Welling Corner,
    Meeting at the Canon in Welling and getting the eldest looking one to by about 30 litres of cider to take down the Rock Gardens in Danson
    TW Records Bexleyheath, Cruisin Records Welling. used to buy my Commodore 64 cassettes in the latter

When the aquazooms were first build at Crook Log.
    Riding your bike round the streets after the 87 Hurricane.
    Fish market in Pickford Lane where the bakers is now
    When the Crook Log was a proper pub with a decent pub garden
  • Options
    I swear Bexleyheath used to hold a bike race round the magistrates court and up to the old Police station. Used to watch as they come down onto Albion Road and crash into the haystacks where the exit ramp is from the Broadway car park. When i mention it to people they think I'm mad. Anyone else remember this. I must have been about 8-10 years old, so around 1994.
  • Options
    Did anyone ever use the seafood stalls in Woolwich market? Must have been early 80's, i was about 13. I used to work on one of them on Saturday for a lady called Dolly... there were two seafood stalls together, right outside the pub now, which has the Irish name i think now. But sure it was called something else back then.
  • Options
    yes, remember the roads being closed off for it but not much else
  • Options
    I remember Margo's coaches in Albion road, used to see em on away matches sometimes
  • Options
    fenny said:

I remember Margo's coaches in Albion road, used to see em on away matches sometimes

I was just thinking that I remember a coach park in Albion Road, though could not recall the name. Roughly opposite the 'new' multi-storey car park?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

do we know each other @Brendan_O_Connell‌ ? If not, our paths must severely have crossed back in 90s !!

Well without meaning to sound like a stalker, I know who you are (through Charlton). Not sure we knew each other when we were younger, but to be honest 1995-2001 were a bit of a blur for me, so it is possible.

I am often in the Lib before home games, so I'll come and say hello next time I see you.

• Options
    Buying loose sherbert ( then getting a yellow finger ) from the little shop or the cabin as older folk called it on Old Road Crayford
  • Options

Well without meaning to sound like a stalker, I know who you are (through Charlton). Not sure we knew each other when we were younger, but to be honest 1995-2001 were a bit of a blur for me, so it is possible.

I am often in the Lib before home games, so I'll come and say hello next time I see you.

please do mate, be good to say hello and put a face to a name

• Options

Plumstead 'Make Merry' on the common every year
    The Albert pub opposite the common
    St Nick's hospital
    The illuminated red cross on the tower of St Nicholas Church
    The high rise flats at the bottom of Lakedale Road
    The museum above Plumstead library and the swimming baths
    The playground on the roof of St Pat's school

Yes to all. Did you go to St.Pat's? What years if so?
    Yes I did. 1976 to 1983. I presume you did too then?
    Left there in '76, good times playing on the roof, taught you to keep it down.
    Football was banned on the roof when I was there! British Bulldog wasn't however, which probably contributed to one of the classroom ceilings collapsing just after a cleaner closed the door. Not too much changed in my years, apart from getting an extra playground built over the top of the field adjacent to Ancona Road. They shut the top playground the year after I left and turned it into a garden. It looks like it's been converted into more classrooms since then. You may recall a few teachers? Mr Hoever (sp could be dodgy..) the headmaster who always seemed to stand on tiptoes when addressing the school at assembly. Miss Lett, Miss Whitehead, Sister Joyce?
    Mr Hoover use to keep the cane up his sleeve, had it a few times, remember Miss Whitehead and sister Joyce, also Mr Morton ( think he may have left when I did),Miss Nickles. Mrs Peacock (married to Keith) used to be the school secretary even when I see her now I called her Mrs Peacock.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Did anyone ever use the seafood stalls in Woolwich market? Must have been early 80's, i was about 13. I used to work on one of them on Saturday for a lady called Dolly... there were two seafood stalls together, right outside the pub now, which has the Irish name i think now. But sure it was called something else back then.

The gun pit?
  • Options
    Getting a clout off adults that weren't your parents (teachers, barbers etc)

Still remember a particular smack round the head a hairdresser gave me for not sitting still in the hairdressers next to the Rose & Crown in Welling (opposite side to the seafood shop).

Seafood stall outside the William Camden

Stan the Milkman and his wooly hat

Getting into a pub something silly like 6.30pm 'before the bouncers' start the door
  • Options
    The Tree House/Boot Slidey thing in the Yacht Garden.

The Ball grabbing machine in the back room in the Camden

The Bouncy Castle in the Red Barn
  • Options
    edited August 2014

ha, you had pisshead social parents as well

• Options

Getting a clout off adults that weren't your parents (teachers, barbers etc)

Still remember a particular smack round the head a hairdresser gave me for not sitting still in the hairdressers next to the Rose & Crown in Welling (opposite side to the seafood shop).

Seafood stall outside the William Camden

Stan the Milkman and his wooly hat

Getting into a pub something silly like 6.30pm 'before the bouncers' start the door

Hahahaha - I remember going into the bogs in Lloyds (Now the Furze Wren) and playing Snake for hours (on the Nokia FYI ;-)) before the bouncers got on at 7:30!
  • Options
    Crook Log pub garden had a wicked climbing frame. Guy Earl and Green Man in Welling had decent gardens for kids as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Plumstead 'Make Merry' on the common every year
    The Albert pub opposite the common
    St Nick's hospital
    The illuminated red cross on the tower of St Nicholas Church
    The high rise flats at the bottom of Lakedale Road
    The museum above Plumstead library and the swimming baths
    The playground on the roof of St Pat's school

Yes to all. Did you go to St.Pat's? What years if so?
    Yes I did. 1976 to 1983. I presume you did too then?
    Left there in '76, good times playing on the roof, taught you to keep it down.
    Football was banned on the roof when I was there! British Bulldog wasn't however, which probably contributed to one of the classroom ceilings collapsing just after a cleaner closed the door. Not too much changed in my years, apart from getting an extra playground built over the top of the field adjacent to Ancona Road. They shut the top playground the year after I left and turned it into a garden. It looks like it's been converted into more classrooms since then. You may recall a few teachers? Mr Hoever (sp could be dodgy..) the headmaster who always seemed to stand on tiptoes when addressing the school at assembly. Miss Lett, Miss Whitehead, Sister Joyce?
    Mr Hoover use to keep the cane up his sleeve, had it a few times, remember Miss Whitehead and sister Joyce, also Mr Morton ( think he may have left when I did),Miss Nickles. Mrs Peacock (married to Keith) used to be the school secretary even when I see her now I called her Mrs Peacock.
    Yes I do remember Mr Hoover with the cane, but he retired after the first year I was there and I don't think the new headmaster ever used it. Miss Nickles rings a bell. I recall a teacher getting married, so this may have been her. Didn't know Mrs Peacock was the school secretary! It was Mrs Bourne when I was there.
  • Options

Ha! The 'family' room in the Camden! Brilliant.
  • Options
    My dad told me 'the facts of life' about the birds and the bees in that Family Room in the Camden....
  • Options
    @AFKABartram You mentioned above about Summer Camps at Crook Log....I used to go to that!

My local park (Horn Park in Lee) had a 6 week summer program in which there would be activities like Crook Log or the old leisure center at the Ferrier (what was that called?) where I remember there being a Charlton football session with a player (on the day I went it was Leaburn....so damn exciting haha)

We also had coachtrips to Margate (Bem-bon brothers) and somewhere in Essex, might have been Lea Valley or something like that.

Surely life never gets any better than the first few days of the 6 week summer holiday....and it was ALWAYS sunny!
  • Options
    Waiting at the top of Beechfield road in Bromley for Batman And Robin to come along Widmore Green in the Batmobile.

Remember also seeing the car for Chitty Chitty bang bang parked up in Shawfield Park which Borders on Bickley :-)

And also Seeing Catweezle in Bromley High Street
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    A-Z Half Time scores - but had to buy a program to know what the games were.
  • Options
    Badger said:

Waiting at the top of Beechfield road in Bromley for Batman And Robin to come along Widmore Green in the Batmobile.

Remember also seeing the car for Chitty Chitty bang bang parked up in Shawfield Park which Borders on Bickley :-)

And also Seeing Catweezle in Bromley High Street

I can remember seeing chitty chitty bang bang on display outside the public toilets that used to be in between the woodman and shell garage at blackfen. I was very young but old enough to know the film, was thrilled at the time.

• Options
    fenny said:

I think I remember them - the name sounds familiar. I think this was on my route to junior school, until we moved from Bexleyheath when I was 8.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

ha, you had pisshead social parents as well

Oi :)