Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Silly local things you remember from years back

Comments

• Options
    Catweasle CPL I can see him now, the place had some proper characters didn't it

Used to love laying on the cannons at Woolwich dockyard

And sneaking around cubows before it got burnt down

Finding clay pipes from the stoney bit of the Thames opposite the ferry

• Options

my dad going up the Woodman to collect the Christmas Club Money

Yer, if Arthur Fowler hadn't gotten there first...
  • Options
    Playing league darts for the first time around 1985. Played against the village blacksmith on a 5's board in plumstead and district Monday league which had 3 divisions of 14 teams. Not many local leagues with that many sides around now. Was run by Elsie Marshall I think.
  • Options
    My dad would have played, hes 78 now and he still plays in the leagues
  • Options
    Acab said:

Acab said:

DanDavis said:

Being taken to the Summerfield pub on Baring Road in Lee as a kid...they was a tiny door between the Public and Saloon bar (like about 4 foot tall!), remember playing endless pinball whilst drinking bottles of coke and asking for packets of peanuts so it would reveal more of the busty lady behind where all the packets were hanging up!

Also the rank outside toilets they had there....there used to be a phantom shitter in the urinals!

Brings back memories, you must be Kelv,s boy.
    I am! A long line of Davis's passed through those pub doors :)
  • Options
    edited August 2014

I used to play myself a lot, beat Andy Fordham loads... Just never had time to play professionally
  • Options
    MSE7 said:

I used to play myself a lot, beat Andy Fordham loads... Just never had time to play professionally
    Was that because you were having trials at Real Madrid and Barcalona?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    No I beat him at the community centre up middle park. He came along when we had a summer play scheme about 20 years ago...

Said I could be the next co stompe!!

I fooking hope not I said to him.. His ugly as fook..

It was only a 9 dart game but I beat him...hit a 9 darter
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

100 year on from the outbreak of World War 1I recall the Royal Herbert Hospital and, as a small child, seeing the old soldiers sitting in their wheelchairs outside on a sunny day.

God bless them all. RIP

Len, that makes you about 110, yes ?
  • Options
    Playing Pole Position, Defender and Star Wars in the little arcade bit at the Butterfly Lane club in the early 80's
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Collecting bottles ten for a threepenny piece...
  • Options
    Running up to and surfing on the back of a flat top lorry to the next set of traffic lights!
  • Options
    All the posts concerning Dartford bring back memories for me as I've never lived anywhere else.

Especially : Kerrs in the High Street - "Old Mr Kerr" always addressed my Mum as "Miss Avery" - her maiden name.

Potts, the Co-op & Heddles(I think) - So many Dept stores in one small town at that time.

Phillips toy shop. Used to save my pocket money for dolls' clothes and LOVED choosing fire works there every November. Remember staring in awe at the beautiful dolls' houses on show & wishing.....

Paddling in the pond at Dartford Park in the summer with my summer dress tucked into my knickers( always stylish!)

Prefabs in Lowfield Street where Fairfield Pool is now.

Saturday morning pics at The Grenada, Spital St followed by a banana milkshake in Dartford's first "coffee bar".

Swimming at the open air baths in Burnham Rd with school pals the summer we left Oakfield Lane School for "big" school. Felt very grown up, especially as there were a couple of boys tagging along.

DeMachios ( sp ?) in Hythe St near the Post Office where they sold REAL ice cream with tiny slivers of crunchy ice - a special treat now & again.

Sadly, I rarely go into the town these days with everything I need a free bus ride away at Bluewater.

• Options
    Huckleberrys burger place in dartford. Became wimpy and then Burger King.
  • Options
    Wimpey in Bexleyheath has been run by the same guy for over 35 years.

Remember him when going to kids parties there in the early 80's. Still see him in there now whenever I go past.
  • Options
    Bexleyheath Indoor Market, i vaguely remember this? Used to get WWF figures from a stall in there? No pics on internet.
  • Options
    What about the burger shop in Lowfield street up near the working men's club?
    How "American" was that! Many a pint was soaked up with my favourites.... "Hawaiian Burger" and the infamous "BBQ Burger"

Missed it when it disappeared........
  • Options

Bexleyheath Indoor Market, i vaguely remember this? Used to get WWF figures from a stall in there? No pics on internet.

DIdn't it turn into Trading World??
  • Options

I think so..
  • Options

Remember him when going to kids parties there in the early 80's. Still see him in there now whenever I go past.

Yep - I was back in the area for a few days after my Mum died a couple of years ago, and I recognised him straight away. Hi skids went to my primary school I think (Upton) and I remember people having kids parties in there. Anyone remember the Lime milkshakes at Wimpy? The local one to me have added there own lime milkshake to the menu and it is just the same.

Anyone else remember a pizza restaurant called Pizza Ecetera or something like that?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Playing 'Double Dragon' arcade game in the chippy after school
  • Options

Yep, mate worked on the pet stall in there at the back
  • Options

3 or 4 of us used to meet there mid-to-late 80s every Tuesday and Thursday after school to be picked up and driven up to Highbury for training. Nice burger (with chopped onions) and chips before football !

I suppose these days they would make us meet at Holland & Barrett, or something like that !
  • Options

3 or 4 of us used to meet there mid-to-late 80s every Tuesday and Thursday after school to be picked up and driven up to Highbury for training. Nice burger (with chopped onions) and chips before football !

I suppose these days they would make us meet at Holland & Barrett, or something like that !
    Yeah, it's all about the Herbal Life and all that shite now.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Going for a wimpey used to be a treat, especially a knickerbocker glory. I remember going to the one in welling after I'd been to timber tops with my dad when it was snowing and he'd let me go down the slope on an old bin liner. Went down it like an Exocet and got completely covered in snow, boots full the lot. He tried to dry my socks off on the manifold of his Austin Cambridge while we were eating so my mum wouldn't freak when we got home.
  • Options
    Reminds me that when we were kids, my old man thought my brother and I would have great fun if we rode in an old laundry cart from the Initial laundry, down the heights (before it was built upon). Oh what fun we had as he pushed us over the top of the hill and the cart went tumbling over and over with us inside clashing heads, limbs etc. How we managed to keep our own teeth and our arms and legs unbroken, I'll never know.
  • Options
    I feel like an outcast, I seem to be the only person on here that was actually brought up in Charlton
  • Options
    ross1 said:

I feel like an outcast, I seem to be the only person on here that was actually brought up in Charlton

Funnily enough I was thinking exactly the same

• Options
    ross1 said:

Ooooh! Millwall territory that!! ;o)
  • Options
    ross1 said:

No mate, I grew up on Wolfe Crescent just off Charlton lane