Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Silly local things you remember from years back

Comments

• Options
    LenGlover said:

buckshee said:

LenGlover said:

The woods you could cut through that ran from Constitution Rise up to Ankerdine Crescent Donaldson Road area.

On the same theme unmade roads like Occupation Lane and the alley that ran down to Herbert Road between Eglinton Hill and Brinklow Crescent area.

The great big houses with loads of grounds in Shrewsbury Lane on the other side of the road to The Bull. All long gone and replaced by smaller dwellings.

There was also the alley that led from Moordown up to Shewsbury lane and came out opposite the sweet shop where the paddling pool was at Foxcroft.

I remember skateboarding (sat down) in the road all the way down Donaldson road , proper steep , long , scary road.
    I think, if memory serves me right, the alley between Shrewsbury Lane and Moordown is Occupation Lane.
    Yeah that's it.

I also remember my dad driving down condover crescent and instead of going round the roundabout to get to the bottom end of Moordown he'd ALWAYS just turn right.
  • Options
    What is now Craigholm off Shooters Hill being the Vicarage and extensive grounds for Christ Church. Father Hancock was the last resident in its old incarnation if I remember right.
  • Options
    Visiting the Severndroog Castle car park with torches and balaclavas to wind up the doggers after 7-8 pints in The Red Lion.
  • Options

Going to see the Dave Clark five and the Kinks plus other groups at the cinema in woolwich that is now a church by the ferry and not being able to hear them due to the girls screaming and stamping of feet.

Other acts I saw at the different cinemas in Woolwich: Chuck Berry and other rhythm and blues acts, Duane Eddy, Bill Hayley, Little Richard, I was also offered tickets to watch a group from Liverpool called the Beatles but did not fancy it. At Lewisham I also saw Ray Charles, The Animals when they had just recorded "House of the rising sun"
  • Options
    Saturday morning pictures at the Odeon Lewisham
  • Options
    Bunking into the Saturday morning Pictures at the Odeon in Bromley.
  • Options
    Charlton Dog Track, Watermans Arms, The Airfix Factory on Woolwich Road.
  • Options
    The milkman knocking on the door on Saturday morning because he wanted paying.
  • Options
    Family Splash at Plumstead Swimming Baths followed by a bag of Smiths Hamburger crisps and a mug of Bovril

Spangles Old English

Plumstead Bus Garage at the foot of Kings Highway

Steam trains passing under the wooden footbridge by Abbey Wood Station

My Nan collecting Brooke Bond Tea cards for me
  • Options
    Running BETH's kids after school, and watching shite John Hughes films at the old cinema near the church. And having a good time, generally!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ..and cowhorn bike handles, and going to the old crook log swimming pool... there was a bombsite next door,,, god I'm old!!!
  • Options
    Having to decide on busfare or another cherryade from vending machine at crook log. walking home back to charlton after swimming, Wrong choice made everytime as soon as you finished last sip.
  • Options
    The Green shield stamp shop at Lewisham.
    My old grandad bought me many a good fishing rod there!!!!
  • Options
    Going into Russell & Bromley in Sevenoaks and looking at ones feet through the X-ray machine. Can't imagine what Health & Safety would make of that
  • Options
    Old Steamroller on a hill next to the charlton park football changing rooms
    Rag and bone man collecting crap
    Harry Perry cycles race in Maryon Park
    B-Mob painted on the wall on Charton lane/Landsdowne lane corner
    Letting the tyres down of visiting teams supporters
    getting let in at half time for free
  • Options
    leefender said:

Old Steamroller on a hill next to the charlton park football changing rooms

And the old traction engine in the front garden of one of the big houses on the road between the A2 and Blackheath.
  • Options
    Whitehall rec where I spent my summers
    Whitehall Lido where I froze off my b***ocks
    Peter Pans Pool
    The two blokes who ran the record department in Medhurst's Bromley
    Clock Tower at top of Summer Hill Chislehurst
    Smokey Joe on his bike in Bickley
    Harry Secombe XI vs Colin Cowdrey XI at Bickley Park CC
    Dive Bar disco at Bickley Arms
    The route through the allotments to get to Belmont Mission Sunday School which avoided all my mates seeing me in a short trouser suit.
    Ah the memories!
  • Options
    Kent Vs Lancs in a Sunday 40 over game at Blackheath

Stewart Leary in a Kent Vs The World charity game at Blackheath ( Knott,Shepphard, Iqbal,Underwood).

Woodruffs sports shop in Bexleyheath

Nicking huge bits of polystyrene and floating on them down the Cray when it was flooded

The CAFC etc graffitti all over Falconwood station and Lewisham clock tower
  • Options
    Decent customer service by people that actually gave a sh*t.
  • Options
    I remember the Harry Secombe and Colin Cowdrey cricket match. I got lots of autographs that day including Amanda Barrie, Harry Secombe and Sam kydd.

We called it Peter Pans Pond.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mosscat said:

I remember the Harry Secombe and Colin Cowdrey cricket match. I got lots of autographs that day including Amanda Barrie, Harry Secombe and Sam kydd.

We called it Peter Pans Pond.

Peter pans pond in catford, used to go for boat rides there, was it also called peter pans pool?
  • Options
    Plumstead 'Make Merry' on the common every year
    The Albert pub opposite the common
    St Nick's hospital
    The illuminated red cross on the tower of St Nicholas Church
    The high rise flats at the bottom of Lakedale Road
    The museum above Plumstead library and the swimming baths
    The playground on the roof of St Pat's school
  • Options

St Nick's hospital

Yes to all. Did you go to St.Pat's? What years if so?
  • Options
    When Lewisham high street flooded and we were let off school, and blokes were carrying old ladies through the worst of it by the station, and someone had a rowing boat in Ladywell.
  • Options

St Nick's hospital

Yes I did. 1976 to 1983. I presume you did too then?
  • Options

St Nick's hospital

Left there in '76, good times playing on the roof, taught you to keep it down.
  • Options

The strong smell of chlorine that made your eyes stream when walking round the pool to find a cubicle to get changed in then getting told off for jumping from balcony into the water
  • Options
    Being shot at with an air pistol from the co-op woods air raid shelter, where the camping site now is in Abbey Wood.
    It just grazed my mates face leaving him with a scar on his cheekbone like action man
  • Options

St Nick's hospital

Left there in '76, good times playing on the roof, taught you to keep it down.
    Football was banned on the roof when I was there! British Bulldog wasn't however, which probably contributed to one of the classroom ceilings collapsing just after a cleaner closed the door. Not too much changed in my years, apart from getting an extra playground built over the top of the field adjacent to Ancona Road. They shut the top playground the year after I left and turned it into a garden. It looks like it's been converted into more classrooms since then. You may recall a few teachers? Mr Hoever (sp could be dodgy..) the headmaster who always seemed to stand on tiptoes when addressing the school at assembly. Miss Lett, Miss Whitehead, Sister Joyce?
  • Options

Kent Vs Lancs in a Sunday 40 over game at Blackheath

It used to be Kent v Surrey at the Rectory Field every year. Then, one year it changed to Kent v Essex and it was a disastrously low scoring game - I may be wrong but I think all four innings were between about 70 and 120. I think the County Championship games became less frequent after that.

Also, I remember Brian Rix playing at the Rectory Field in a charity game. It may have been against a Charlton FC XI, but I might be getting games mixed up. He hit a six first ball and then was clean bowled the second ball. Why I remember that I don't know. Perhaps, his trousers fell down.