Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Silly local things you remember from years back

Comments

• Options
    Badger said:

Mosscat said:

I remember the Harry Secombe and Colin Cowdrey cricket match. I got lots of autographs that day including Amanda Barrie, Harry Secombe and Sam kydd.

We called it Peter Pans Pond.

Peter pans pond in catford, used to go for boat rides there, was it also called peter pans pool?
    It's about 50 years ago for me but my (failing) recollection was of PP Pool at Southend Ponds. Mum took me and my big sister there once each year during the summer hols on the 47 or 199 bus from Bromley Common. Loved the boats and the slides!
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Jolly Drayman, Station in Welling, Flicks - coach trips to Stage 3 out of The Drayman

Hydes (sp)

Sonic(and his sister) being born
  • Options
    I remember hearing the air raid siren going off whilst sitting at the classroom(Red Hill Chislehurst) .It was in the 60s think they just used to test it.Also Smokey Joe the tramp always saw him around Chislehurst.Catching Newts and stickebacks in Chislehurst Pond and walking to the island when it was frozen
  • Options

Love reading people's old memories, even from a different era.

Any 80s kids used to go the 'summer camps' they used to run at Crook Log Sports Centre over the summer holidays? Run by centre staff and a few local teachers like John Sawyer?

Getting your sports gear from Gentry's Sports on Welling Corner,
    Meeting at the Canon in Welling and getting the eldest looking one to by about 30 litres of cider to take down the Rock Gardens in Danson
    TW Records Bexleyheath, Cruisin Records Welling. used to buy my Commodore 64 cassettes in the latter

When the aquazooms were first build at Crook Log.
    Riding your bike round the streets after the 87 Hurricane.
    Fish market in Pickford Lane where the bakers is now
    When the Crook Log was a proper pub with a decent pub garden

No have to take issue with your final comment m8 - my father in law Peter Day was the landlord at The Volunteer in Church Road and he ran a proper boozer back in the 80's. He was good mates with Derek and Joan Hall who ran the Crook Log and take it from me that the after hours sessions were heavy to say the least!

Happy days (no pun intended) ;-))
  • Options
    Charlton pre season in charlton park, PIG IN SHIT as a 10 year old who live within a 30 sec walk, collecting and kicking th balls back to them, allowed to take penalties at the end, may have been Tony Lange
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    JonnyK said:

Any 80s kids used to go the 'summer camps' they used to run at Crook Log Sports Centre over the summer holidays? Run by centre staff and a few local teachers like John Sawyer?

Meeting at the Canon in Welling and getting the eldest looking one to by about 30 litres of cider to take down the Rock Gardens in Danson
    TW Records Bexleyheath, Cruisin Records Welling. used to buy my Commodore 64 cassettes in the latter

No have to take issue with your final comment m8 - my father in law Peter Day was the landlord at The Volunteer in Church Road and he ran a proper boozer back in the 80's. He was good mates with Derek and Joan Hall who ran the Crook Log and take it from me that the after hours sessions were heavy to say the least!

Jonny K - I lived in Church Rd '87-'92, you are correct, your father in law, Peter, ran a quality boozer, loved it
  • Options
    buckshee said:

This

Oh damn, Buckshee! Now I've got the bloody tune going round in my head.
  • Options

JonnyK said:

Jonny K - I lived in Church Rd '87-'92, you are correct, your father in law, Peter, ran a quality boozer, loved it
    Thanks for that SA - he retired from the pub in the Spring of 95 and tragically passed away here in East Grinstead in the September of that year. But boy did he believe in running a proper family pub and no bad language or agro.
  • Options
    Yes -I knew he passed away, RIP Peter.

• Options
    Going in the Station after training with our Welling tracksuits on and being recognized!

Mad but nice, and a few free drinks (soft of course)!!!!!!
    COYR....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Carrying this on a bit, I got a book by Tony Lord who used to be one of my teachers at Charlton Manor, was all short stories about local history, I'm sure some will find.it amazing, he used to tell us stories about local history more than teaching and draw pictures in relation to the story on the blavkboard, he was.a.great artistic as well.
  • Options
    Had a teacher at Sherrington called Mr Faraday, 80-85, apparently he played pro football for a lower league club. Not sure of the truth in it though
  • Options
    My Mum and Dad never using carrier bags in the old Tesco's in Welling because there was always a huge pile of cardboard boxes by the checkouts.
  • Options

My Mum and Dad never using carrier bags in the old Tesco's in Welling because there was always a huge pile of cardboard boxes by the checkouts.

The old Tescos in Welling being called Victor Value
  • Options
    leefender said:

Had a teacher at Sherrington called Mr Faraday, 80-85, apparently he played pro football for a lower league club. Not sure of the truth in it though

If it's the same bloke, I think his name was Mr Ferreday. He was my form teacher from 71-73. Played the guitar I recall, smashing bloke.
  • Options
    Cutting through the old Pharmacy in Woolwich before the DLR was built there.

Or the panoramic painting of the valley in the Elephant and Castle just on the market.
    Believe it's been replaced now.
  • Options
    Pidgeon Street and Long Distance Clara.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    100 year on from the outbreak of World War 1I recall the Royal Herbert Hospital and, as a small child, seeing the old soldiers sitting in their wheelchairs outside on a sunny day.

God bless them all. RIP
  • Options
    Jarman said:

Cutting through the old Pharmacy in Woolwich before the DLR was built there.

Or the panoramic painting of the valley in the Elephant and Castle just on the market.
    Believe it's been replaced now.

The bloke that runs that place is a Leeds fan and I remember him saying he was going to keep all the Charlton stuff in there when I last went in (around November last year).
  • Options
    Cannot believe that no one has mentioned Sarge the Usherette from the ABC Woolwich.

What about the Granada in Welling. Sneaking in to Screen 3 when one of those dodgy 'confession' films were on!

Anyone remember the glass building at the top of Garland rd? Rumour was there was a tunnel linking it to the Arsenal. What did they do there?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dick Neve on the tannoy at Charlton.

Proper announcers back then

:-)
  • Options
    The garden of the house on the corner of Floyd Rd (Royal Oak end) that was rammed with all sorts of assorted crap.
  • Options
    Yeah and tree growing from inside through the roof............

Catweazel?????
  • Options
    yeah I remember that house didnt they have an old ambulance in the back garden all overgrown
  • Options
    Fat Tony - swimming instructor at Eltham baths.
  • Options
    fenny said:

yeah I remember that house didnt they have an old ambulance in the back garden all overgrown

That rings a bell (no pun intended)
  • Options
    my dad going up the Woodman to collect the Christmas Club Money saved during the year
  • Options
    Being taken to the Summerfield pub on Baring Road in Lee as a kid...they was a tiny door between the Public and Saloon bar (like about 4 foot tall!), remember playing endless pinball whilst drinking bottles of coke and asking for packets of peanuts so it would reveal more of the busty lady behind where all the packets were hanging up!

Also the rank outside toilets they had there....there used to be a phantom shitter in the urinals!
  • Options
    DanDavis said:

Being taken to the Summerfield pub on Baring Road in Lee as a kid...they was a tiny door between the Public and Saloon bar (like about 4 foot tall!), remember playing endless pinball whilst drinking bottles of coke and asking for packets of peanuts so it would reveal more of the busty lady behind where all the packets were hanging up!

Also the rank outside toilets they had there....there used to be a phantom shitter in the urinals!

• Options
    Acab said:

DanDavis said:

Brings back memories, you must be Kelv,s boy.