Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Silly local things you remember from years back

Comments

• Options
    The crown and cushion Woolwich

The gatehouse Woolwich dockyard

2 best under age drinking boozers of the 90s
  • Options
    Henry Cow at the Tramshed... didn't go down too well with the locals!

Van De Graaff Generator, Darryl Way's Wolf and Man at Thames Poly... Friday night magic of incense, patchouli, dodgy smoke, Afghan coats and booze then that walk home to Abbey Wood via a Chinese take away

Monaja mystical eastern shop in Hare Street... purveyor of joss sticks, cheesecloth shirts and general freakwear

Furlongs record shop in Thomas Street... grumpy manager with BO
  • Options

Love reading people's old memories, even from a different era.

Any 80s kids used to go the 'summer camps' they used to run at Crook Log Sports Centre over the summer holidays? Run by centre staff and a few local teachers like John Sawyer?

Getting your sports gear from Gentry's Sports on Welling Corner,
    Meeting at the Canon in Welling and getting the eldest looking one to by about 30 litres of cider to take down the Rock Gardens in Danson
    TW Records Bexleyheath, Cruisin Records Welling. used to buy my Commodore 64 cassettes in the latter

When the aquazooms were first build at Crook Log.
    Riding your bike round the streets after the 87 Hurricane.
    Fish market in Pickford Lane where the bakers is now
    When the Crook Log was a proper pub with a decent pub garden

Still to this day I always refer to a water slide as an aquazoom due to Crook Log. The missus (from oup North)always feels the need to correct me
  • Options
    Yep, same, always aquazooms to me
    Kids look a me like im fricking stupid till I go 'Slides, the poxy water Sildes, you know what im on about!!'
  • Options
    Spending lots of time listening to the 2nd hand albums in Elpees at north heath when I should of been in lessons.
  • Options
    I'm the same, they're aquazooms to me but to my kids they're flumes, that just doesn't sound as much fun....
  • Options
    Seeing Steve Maxted, possibly the first DJ to do a live show.
  • Options
    The fair on Blackheath each year.
  • Options
    Any one know if space dust is still available? If so where?
  • Options

Van De Graaff Generator, Darryl Way's Wolf and Man at Thames Poly... Friday night magic of incense, patchouli, dodgy smoke, Afghan coats and booze then that walk home to Abbey Wood via a Chinese take away

Monaja mystical eastern shop in Hare Street... purveyor of joss sticks, cheesecloth shirts and general freakwear

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Acab said:

Acab said:

Remember seeing Stray and Pink Fairies at the Poly also at the Harrow Inn/
  • Options
    Used to go too Welcome Inn Sunday night and Dutch House Tuesday 1971/72 same people run both nights I think,
    Light and bitter was 20p a pint. Pound to get in with a membership card.
    Friday night was at the Spotted Cow Hither Green Lane or the Black Bull Lewisham then on to the Wimpey Bar then late night movie at Lewisham Odeon.
  • Options
    Riding my bike down to erith and belvedere fc for a charity game and the chance to see dennis waterman. Dennis didn't turn up.

Collecting vouchers from the sun so i could see a preview of back to the future. Watching bttf at bexleyheath cinema (now asda) and getting a free drink (quatro?).

Swimming at erith swimming pool. A pool with a proper deep end.

Summer trips to folkestone.
  • Options
    Acab said:

Used to go too Welcome Inn Sunday night and Dutch House Tuesday 1971/72 same people run both nights I think,
    Friday night was at the Spotted Cow Hither Green Lane or the Black Bull Lewisham then on to the Wimpey Bar then late night movie at Lewisham Odeon.

that's weird Acab, i saw Stray, the Pink Fairies and most of the other gigs at the Poly and used the Black bull and Spotted cow on Fridays. We must have moved in the same circles.
  • Options

Acab said:

that's weird Acab, i saw Stray, the Pink Fairies and most of the other gigs at the Poly and used the Black bull and Spotted cow on Fridays. We must have moved in the same circles.
    you two probably would have had a bit of saxon tavern aswell

• Options
    lolwray said:

Acab said:

you two probably would have had a bit of saxon tavern aswell

sure did.
  • Options
    And walked home from the Marquee a few times.
  • Options
    leefender said:

ross1 said:

I feel like an outcast, I seem to be the only person on here that was actually brought up in Charlton

No mate, I grew up on Wolfe Crescent just off Charlton lane

Nor Me brought up in Priolo Road
  • Options
    Local smells - the dog biscuit factory, gas works, Woolwich ferry engine room, the river - not necessarily pleasant.
    Doing bombs off the Lido top board.
  • Options
    my local smells were chiltonians biscuit factory and a bit of robertsons Jam if lucky

(i wouldnt have noticed my younger addick brother who smelt anyway..was just accustomed to that)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I take my earlier post back spotted this morning

• Options

I take my earlier post back spotted this morning

That looks like the world cup vanishing spray!!
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Milk dispensed from machines in triangular packets.
    The church steeple at abbey wood with the red illuminated cross.
    Driving down the hill from Plumstead to Woolwich and seeing the Blue Star line Ships in the docks over the river.
    Going on the Woolwich Ferry going downstairs and looking at the filthy Thames water.
    The eels in Manzes window.
    The residual tram lines in Woolwich Market.
    Army days on Woolwich Common.
    Plumstead baths, all marble.
  • Options
    Dust carts where the dustmen walked inside to empty the bins,think they were called Pagefields
    and the trailors they pulled for the scrap paper
    Masive bonfires on bombed buildings on firework night, ours was the corner of Hylton street and marmadon road
    Penny bangers and tuppeny cannons..Brocks fireworks
  • Options
    Warm Watneys party 7 and being sick in Victoria way.
  • Options
    When Sharp sponsored Man Utd
  • Options
    Some good memories here.
    This sticks in my mind
    gdh.jpg 103.5K
  • Options
    The Green fire engine at Eaglesfield Road fire station.
  • Options
    Do you want to touch,Two little boys,and Miss you nights all take on a different meaning now

Listening to Gary Glitter, Rolf Harris & Cliff Richard songs on the radio.