Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Silly local things you remember from years back

Comments

• Options

Going for a wimpey used to be a treat, especially a knickerbocker glory. I remember going to the one in welling after I'd been to timber tops with my dad when it was snowing and he'd let me go down the slope on an old bin liner.

We used to go the one on Lewisham, next to the Odeon. We were at the age when it was hilarious to order the Bender and make all our mates snigger!
  • Options
    Going to the Odeon in Lewisham at any time during the film and staying put and watching the whole thing over again if you wanted. Myself and a coupIe of mates watched Star Wars 3 times on the trot without leaving the cinema when it first came out!
  • Options
    ross1 said:

I feel like an outcast, I seem to be the only person on here that was actually brought up in Charlton

I was thinking the same. Lansdowne lane and Hopedale rd for me.
  • Options

Bexleyheath Indoor Market, i vaguely remember this? Used to get WWF figures from a stall in there? No pics on internet.

DIdn't it turn into Trading World??
    Yep, mate worked on the pet stall in there at the back
    Indoor market was where Sainsburys car park is now wasn't it? had those wooden ramps in there that made loads of noise when you jumped on them. Had a sweet stall and a woman that sold greetings cards.

I thought Trading World was where Primark is now? Remember buying a 'GS' ring in there when i was 12.
  • Options

Going for a wimpey used to be a treat, especially a knickerbocker glory. I remember going to the one in welling after I'd been to timber tops with my dad when it was snowing and he'd let me go down the slope on an old bin liner.

We used to go the one on Lewisham, next to the Odeon. We were at the age when it was hilarious to order the Bender and make all our mates snigger!
    "At the age"?

My "age" has lasted from 10 to 46 so far.
  • Options

Bexleyheath Indoor Market, i vaguely remember this? Used to get WWF figures from a stall in there? No pics on internet.

Indoor market was where Sainsburys car park is now wasn't it? had those wooden ramps in there that made loads of noise when you jumped on them. Had a sweet stall and a woman that sold greetings cards.

I thought Trading World was where Primark is now? Remember buying a 'GS' ring in there when i was 12.
    You're right. Duke of Edinburgh was also down that bit where the Sainsbury's car park is. Liked that pub.
  • Options

Getting a clout off adults that weren't your parents (teachers, barbers etc)

I remember being about ten I guess and going to a fun day at Charlton park with the local playscheme and they had some sort of panto thing on there. One of the women in it had some sort of bikini thing on and I said something about "look at her boobies" , everyone laughed except for the fella in said panto who proceeded to clout me round the head.
  • Options

Crook Log pub garden had a wicked climbing frame. Guy Earl and Green Man in Welling had decent gardens for kids as well.

Once myself and @les_says‌ went to the psf at Park View road and were drinking in the guy earl. We saw Seb Lewis drink in had climb up onto the climbing frame , look around for a bit then climb back down . Very strange.
  • Options
    Brunello said:

ross1 said:

I feel like an outcast, I seem to be the only person on here that was actually brought up in Charlton

Funnily enough I was thinking exactly the same

I think my user name and my story about the heights gives away that I'm originally from those parts too!
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Yeah, think you're right Gary. Trading World was up the other end near Pizza Hut.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

ross1 said:

Born in Floyd Road, can anyone say they have more right to be called a Charlton supporter than me
  • Options

Yeah, think you're right Gary. Trading World was up the other end near Pizza Hut.

Yeah Trading World was in the old Co-op building, which got knocked down and then Primark and some other shops were built in its place. The indoor market was as Gary said where Sainsbury s car park is now. The old police station was a few doors up. Another listed building done away with by Bexley Council!
  • Options

ross1 said:

It will only get worse as Charlton will soon be full of all posh outsiders. Well more so... My flat on lansdowne lane I sold in Feb 2012 went on the market in May for 100 grand more than I sold it for! A one bed flat. Charlton's gone mad.
  • Options
    ross1 said:

ross1 said:

Born in Floyd Road, can anyone say they have more right to be called a Charlton supporter than me
    Dad was (78) granddad helped build original valley RIP (99), I was Born in Woolwich and lived in Charlton Park Lane till 21

Not that Im saying it tops yours, just info, I know a couple people born in Floyd Rd my age, none are CAFC

• Options
    The photo of Lewisham Centre circa 1982 is great but to really improve this thread we need more old photos!
  • Options
    Ron and Dick Bellamy who ran the butchers near the Rectory Field in Charlton Road
  • Options
    One for you outcasts - at this time of the year seeing the entire first team squad preseason training by running around SE7...

Oh and St Austins Secondary School.
  • Options
    Skiving off Eglington primary school at lunch and ending up in the chippy on Herbert Road and my mum coming in.

Walking to the Regal in Woolwich from Shooters Hill every Saturday morning for Saturday Morning Pictures. It cost 6 pence to sit in the stalls or 9 pence for the circle.

Standing at the bottom of Shooters Hill where the Police Station used to be and watching the Queen drive by. Everyone had flags and all that so something was going on but can't remember what. Probably about late 50s ish.

Going on the boats in Danson Park. Come in number 6. As a kid that just felt so special.

The open air swimming pool in Eltham. What was it called? It seemed such a treat to swim outdoors.

• Options

ross1 said:

ross1 said:

Dad was (78) granddad helped build original valley RIP (99), I was Born in Woolwich and lived in Charlton Park Lane till 21

Not that Im saying it tops yours, just info, I know a couple people born in Floyd Rd my age, none are CAFC

If they are football fans I presume they hang on to bigger clubs for the glory, no such luck for me
  • Options
    Watching Princess Margaret open the multi storey car park in Woolwich.

What became the John Wilson Street area if memory serves me right.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LenGlover said:

What a waste of money and effort for that car park, I can't remember how long exactly, but it wasn't in use long before it was pulled down
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    ross1 said:

LenGlover said:

What a waste of money and effort for that car park, I can't remember how long exactly, but it wasn't in use long before it was pulled down
    10 years if that I reckon!

1 year it seems! I thought it was a bit longer than that but apparently not!

http://www.historyextra.com/qa/bright-ideas
  • Options
  • Options
    More from me yoot!

The rock nights at the Dutch House and nutters trying to do the Dutch House bend at a ton on bikes.

Pubs that you used to get served in if you were underage:
    Running Horses Erith - I was 13 when I paid for my first pint!!
    The Oak - Bexley Rd Erith, had one of the first space invader machines.
    The Yacht Long Lane, I got banned on my 18th, I'd been drinking in there since I was 16.

Used to hang out in The Great Harry - Personage Manorway Belvedere/Erith - 1981-1985
    Willie Condom in Avenue Road was a good drink, watched the 86 WC there.

The Tramshed Woolwich, great music Venue and The Tunnel Club as well.

T's night club on pull a pig night, which was any night really!

Wimpey Welling, did a runner many times from there.

Danson Youth Club with the Welling Skins causing agg.

Getting asked to join the British Movement by Nicky Crane every week when we bumped into him in Bex Broadway or Welling. Used to say 'yes of course', just to keep him quiet, he would give us the papers and we would bin em off!
  • Options
    Drinking a yard of ale.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Greenie said:

More from me yoot!

The rock nights at the Dutch House and nutters trying to do the Dutch House bend at a ton on bikes.

The Yacht Long Lane, I got banned on my 18th, I'd been drinking in there since I was 16.

Used to hang out in The Great Harry - Personage Manorway Belvedere/Erith - 1981-1985

Getting asked to join the British Movement by Nicky Crane every week when we bumped into him in Bex Broadway or Welling. Used to say 'yes of course', just to keep him quiet, he would give us the papers and we would bin em off!

I got a job behind the jump at The Yacht when I was seventeen, had been in and out of there for a year or so beforehand supping, mainly with my dad. Landlord, fair play to him (can't remember his name, missus could have been Viv) had no problem with my 18th celebrations - probably because main one wasn't there, anyway kept the job.

EDIT: Landlord might have been Ray
  • Options
    Greenie said:

More from me yoot!

Is that Avenue Road in Erith? What was the Willie Condom?
  • Options
    William Camden, Bexleyheath
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Everything has become to convenient. Home shopping and all that,

Bring back the days of no shops open at Christmas,

They can have asda,tesco,sainsburys back, give me the local corner shop selling tins of spam and ration packs anyday.

Bring back the days of no mobile phones when you had to send a telegram if you wanted to contact someone....

Henry the 8th would turn in his grave if he could see what this world has become.

Bring back the east stand A block burger van.

Bring back our countryside. Id rather live on the wilderness anyway mate

Period living is what it's all about

Places like whistable still have that about them. Also like places in the north which are untouched by the social cleansing of the big cities
  • Options
    Any one remember the big motor boat on danson lake used to do trips up around the island and back on sundays.
    And the little steam train that ran along the lake on the lido side, I think the concrete shed where they kept it over night is still there
    And yeah that auto stacker never worked it was in Beresford street next to Dagenham motors just up from the Tabanacle