Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Silly local things you remember from years back

Comments

• Options
    Being abused by 'Mad Rose' outside Carrington House on my way to school each morning.

• Options
    Erith Cinema.

Trying to swim in the freezing wáter at Danson Lido in the summer,

• Options

White dog poo

Some in my garden if you want some?

Do you not have a khazi?
  • Options
    Corona man.
    Milk man.
    Fruit and veg shop. (being sent out to buy reds, king edwards were to expensive.)
    Butchers.
    The list goes on...............................................
  • Options
    The rasta tramp in Woolwich used to scare the bejesus out of me by the under pass on John Wilson street

And sarge the Woolwich tramp by the fountain always looked out for him and gave him a few quid and food, if the tales were true I reckon that's how I'd end up,

• Options
    you could have a whole thread on proper tramps we use to have one turn up every year at same time of year and make a camp in small wood at end of our garden harmless just a guy who lived rough never spoke a word and camped for two three months never left a mess
  • Options
    a 50/60/70 s mid week night game at the valley in the winter ...the smell of the printing ink on the programme (probably carconegenic),peanut shells trampled underfoot,cigar/cigarette smoke ,beery breath,the hotdog stands,the stench of the the loos and the cold winter air against your face ...cant remember much about the football we were crap!
  • Options

Badger said:

Catching a green line 725 bus From Widmore Green(Bromley) To Heathrow, No Longer runs.

God that bus (Unless I'm thinking of the 726) ran from Bexleyheath to Heathrow via. Bromley

When I was allowed to get the Bus home rather than walk I'd sometimes pay £1 (which was more than the usual fare) to get to Bexleyheath quicker on that from Sidcup rather than get the 229 or 269
    I remember catching it to school once or twice. It was expensive but it was more comfortable than a bus, plus there fewer stops than on the bus route and you didn't have to change at Chislehurst War Memorial.
  • Options
    10p mix

• Options
    Half penny mojos
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A quarter of Rola Cola Balls
  • Options
    Coal deliveries
  • Options
    Jumbarama in Dartford. Various stalls downstairs and joke shop upstairs. Became Bridewell Centre and then Bridewells nightclub.

Crayford Town Hall discos.

Bearded lady who worked in Co-Op Dartford.

The Old Stagecoach in the Bull and Vic, Dartford
  • Options
    Trying to hide in Chislehurst caves and bricking getting lost so joining the tour again quickly
  • Options
    Burgers Galore in Lowfield street mmmm
  • Options
    The Mackintoshes lorry delivering fizzy drinks to the house

Baines the coalman filling up our bunker

The icecream man on his tricycle

The rag and bone man
  • Options
    Spending your pocket money at Nuxley Toys in Bexleyheath (not Toys R Us!!). I still remember the musty / cardboard smell with all the toys piled high to the ceiling and the bins in the middle of the shop that held the pocket money toys.
  • Options
    Parade magazine
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

The rag and bone man

What century were you born in?
  • Options
    Going to the shops to buy ice in the summer
    Shop assistant hand making blue bags and filling with rice
    Warm school milk in the summer and frozen school milk in the winter.
    Blue tits pecking the tops of the milk, thick layer of cream on top of bottle
    Very small black and white TV screens
    No mobile phones Infact no household phones.
    Posting lite fireworks through people doors.
    Postman delivering twice a day.
    Telegram boy, instead of the Internet.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

LenGlover said:

The rag and bone man

I was born in 1956 and can remember all them.
  • Options

LenGlover said:

The rag and bone man

there's an ice cream man with a tricycle at Greenwich market and we have a rag and bone man with horse and cart in Mottingham (although he looks about 13)
  • Options
    The air raid siren sounding before they locked the gates in Danson Park every night.
  • Options
    Calling our neighbours Mr & Mrs Whatever (I don't mean literally)
  • Options

The TV repair man.
    The fact my parents and most of my friends' having to rent their TV from a shop in eltham.
    'Pop' bottles being a form of currency due to the return value.
    Parks that actually closed by a parkie ringing a bell.
    Red bus rover tickets.

Some gems here as my parents rented from the radio rentals shop in Eltham,The pop bottles and the shop called "Grimsleys" in Well Hall that stamped all the bottle labels so you couldn't take any bottles back he hadn't sold you.

Red bus rovers *goes all misty eyed*
  • Options
    edited July 2014

The TV repair man.
    The fact my parents and most of my friends' having to rent their TV from a shop in eltham.
    'Pop' bottles being a form of currency due to the return value.
    Parks that actually closed by a parkie ringing a bell.
    Red bus rover tickets.

Some gems here as my parents rented from the radio rentals shop in Eltham,The pop bottles and the shop called "Grimsleys" in Well Hall that stamped all the bottle labels so you couldn't take any bottles back he hadn't sold you.
    We had a stingy old git who did that where I used to live, we got round it by climbing over the wall and "borrowing" a few empty bottles, once safely back over the wall, straight around the front of the shop to get our penny back on the bottle. Amazingly worked every time and he never did catch on :-)
  • Options
    Little blue bags of salt in crisp packets
  • Options
    Actually getting crisps in your packet instead half a bag of air!
  • Options
    Ash trays that you pushed in to make the ash disappear (my Nan had one of these, I was far too young to smoke!!)
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Spending your pocket money at Nuxley Toys in Bexleyheath (not Toys R Us!!). I still remember the musty / cardboard smell with all the toys piled high to the ceiling and the bins in the middle of the shop that held the pocket money toys.

I can remember going there as soon as I got any Birthday money etc to get the latest Star Wars figures. Sadly only one branch left now (there were 4 at one time) in Gravesend. Toys still piled high and cheap!