Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dorset

Wanted to get some advice from lifers on here. I potentially have a job down in Dorset pending a medical and a couple other bits. Would mean relocating my life and starting a fresh... Would be a slight pay cut but very similar roles.

Does anyone live down that way that can share some knowledge on what it's like?

Anyone recently moved further out of London that can share anything?

Any stories, words of wisdom would be much appreciated. :)

Comments

• Options
    Mind how you drive !
  • Options
    yep, mind the speed camera near Chideock !

Seriously, have a friend who lived in Welling and worked in a Solicitor's in Westminster. Moved to Poole and commuted up for a year or two until it got too much. So found himself a job in Dorchester, obviously less money, but has never regretted it.

We moved from Erith to East Sussex over two years ago and have never regretted it for even one second. I could never live near london again.

I'd say go for it. He who dares and all that !!
  • Options

Wanted to get some advice from lifers on here. I potentially have a job down in Dorset pending a medical and a couple other bits. Would mean relocating my life and starting a fresh... Would be a slight pay cut but very similar roles.

id check out property prices i dont think its a cheap as you might initially think

• Options
    Dorset featuring on BBC 1's "Escape to the Country" at this very minute !
  • Options
    Having moved from South East London further West, I'd endorse it.
  • Options

Seriously, have a friend who lived in Welling and worked in a Solicitor's in Westminster. Moved to Poole and commuted up for a year or two until it got too much. So found himself a job in Dorchester, obviously less money, but has never regretted it.

We moved from Erith to East Sussex over two years ago and have never regretted it for even one second. I could never live near london again.

Very interesting. How long was his commute everyday?

How did you find your move from Erith?
  • Options

Dorset featuring on BBC 1's "Escape to the Country" at this very minute !

I missed it :-(
    lolwray said:

id check out property prices i dont think its a cheap as you might initially think

So much cheaper than London!!
  • Options
    Cray

In all seriousness there's cross roads for us all and sometimes you have to grasp.the moment and opportunities

I would without a doubt move lock stock to an opportunity in Dorset

But that's my own opinion, nothing ventured nothing gained
  • Options

Very interesting. How long was his commute everyday?

How did you find your move from Erith?
    Poole to Central London is a long commute. Can't remember times but I get a train from Battle to London at before 7am so I think he was on a train around 6am to be in the office for 9am.

Moving to the South Coast was the best thing we've ever done. Like living in a different world.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Waterloo to Poole is about 2 hours, I used to have a client there and it was a pain.
  • Options
    Cray Addick, East Dorset or West Dorset? Quite different. I Lived around Bridport and Dorchester (West) for about six years. Much quieter and slower pace of life. At first I didn't like it, but after a year or so I loved it. A beautiful county. Much depends on your needs/likes. East Dorset is also beautiful, but Poole/Christchurch and Bournemouth much bigger and bussier
  • Options
    I moved to Daarrzzett some 15 years ago, great place to raise the kids, they have certainly led an outdoor childhood. I would never ever consider living anywhere else now in the UK. As for work good rail links into London and slow road links to M3, M5, A303 etc... no motorways in tropical Dorset. Depending on where you intend to settle you might be surprised at the price of housing, very dear, thankfully I moved at the right time.
  • Options
    Need a bit of detail to give you more of an idea tbh Cray. Have you got kids, where's the job, will your partner need to work, fancy the seaside or the country, do you need to get up to London regularly, are you happy to have a drive into the office, etc, etc?

As others have said West and North Dorset are very different in feel to around here but they all have their pros and cons. I moved down in '99 and took a significant drop in salary to do so as well but I don't regret it and wild horses wouldn't get me back to London, (short of a Euromillions win if I'm honest and even then not full time). It is a fab place to bring up kids if you have them (my nephews and nieces take it all for granted though!) but it is not as cheap as people think and the jobs market is pretty shot except for minimum wage telesales, carers and tourism related jobs if any kids are of that age. There's a bit of a financial sector in Bournemouth itself but from what I'm told wages are significantly less than the comparable job in London.

I saw something recently that average house prices are 13 to 14 times the average salary down here but that may not be a factor if you have a place to cash in on up there but for most people it tends to be a one way move.

It is a great place and we are very happy here overall but it is not without it's problems and inconveniences...not least of all the round trip to The Valley!

Feel free to pm me if you don't want to put it on here.
  • Options
    I would endorse the other comments - i live in Port Solent , Hampshire - not quite Dorset, but not far away - and you will not regret the move. A more beautiful place will not be found, and if you have kids then its a no-brainer tbh.
    Do it - you wont regret it.
  • Options
    Dorset is just beautiful and still has echoes of a life past that was more gently and harmoniously lived. When we left London for Kent, we greatly missed London and all that it offered. Suddenly we had forgotten the dirt and noise and general hassles and only remembered the river walks, the history, the arts and all the vibrancy of a multi cultural society. We still greatly miss London but we have grown to love Faversham. So we take our caravan to Abbey Wood or Crystal Palace when we feel the urge to return. Sorted, plus we paid off the mortgage. Be prepared to miss things and accept that adjusting to a different style of life takes time. It is a one way move though and therein lies the main drawback.
  • Options
    What part of Dorset ? Big area
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I know quite a fair bit of Dorset, as have relatives down there. But as others have said, we need more detail !
    It's like saying I'm moving to Kent, what do you think ? You could be talking Erith or Canterbury.
    If you want a sensible answer, you need to be more specific.
  • Options
    My family (including 3 kids) moved from LB Lewisham to Winchester (Hampshire) just under 10 years ago. We both miss London far more than we expected to and each of us have got different views as to whether we did the right thing moving.

As BA said whether it will be a good move for your depends on you and your personal circumstances. However, I think that it's more of a mixed bag that some posts suggest. Kids, your partner, work security, family (e.g. elderly parents), how easily you make friends, your age, your health etc. are all factors.

For me although I'm not sure we did the right thing moving to Hampshire, I don't regret trying to improve the life chances of my kids. However I'm in a relatively secure occupation that is reasonably well paid.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your input so far.

To be honest I haven't got a specific area of dorset I'm looking at. Ideally it needs to have links back to London as my partner will be looking at commuting.

The options for work will be around the Dorchester area I think though that is still up for discussion.

I've read that Lyme Regis is supposed to be really nice. I want peace and quiet and the good old fashioned country (As much as I love living 5 minutes from Crays newest iconic site "The land fill").
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Dorchester is "proper" in the countryside. Mayor of Casterbridge country. It's lovely out there, if the countryside is what you want. I think house prices aren't that much lower than London, but you'll need to check yourself.
    Driving down there of a weekend would take me 2.5 hours from Bromley & I crack on.
    Driving in rush hour, I should imagine would be a lot more (I couldn't commute every day personally).
    Not sure about trains from there, but should imagine it would be pretty slow.
    If I was going I wouldn't want to commute.
    I have a lot of relatives down there & they all love it.
    They have no dress sense & don't know what football is. It's a lot different :-)
  • Options
    Commuting to London from Dorchester is virtually a no-no.
  • Options
    Cray - You can train from Dorchester direct to Waterloo, is a good 3.5hr train journey though. Probably quicker to drive to Poole (possibly Weymouth) for a faster train.

However "Dorch" as it's own locally is a nice area to live as is Lyme Regis if you were looking there. As others have said, the house prices are not as cheap as you'd expect compared to salaries, however apart from an area called Boscombe and a couple of places near Poole, you can't really go wrong.

If it's affordable, do it. You will not regret it. Lived here half of my live now and unless it was a luxury place abroad, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.
  • Options
    cafcpolo said:

Cray - You can train from Dorchester direct to Waterloo, is a good 3.5hr train journey though. Probably quicker to drive to Poole (possibly Weymouth) for a faster train.

However "Dorch" as it's own locally is a nice area to live as is Lyme Regis if you were looking there. As others have said, the house prices are not as cheap as you'd expect compared to salaries, however apart from an area called Boscombe and a couple of places near Poole, you can't really go wrong.

If it's affordable, do it. You will not regret it. Lived here half of my live now and unless it was a luxury place abroad, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

I've been looking a lot at trains and the quickest ones seem to run from Salisbury, will have to check the times from Weymouth though I'm sure it was over 2 hours.

How have you found life down there compared to London/Greater London?
  • Options
    Lyme Regis is lovely, although too far away to think about commuting.
  • Options
    They think I'm mad down there, when I lock the car.
  • Options
    Spent a night in Dorchester hospital when my kidney decided to spit out some big-ass stones. Lovely nurses, quality care.
  • Options

Lyme Regis is lovely, although too far away to think about commuting.

Ditto, love it there but not suitable if you want good links back to here
  • Options

Spent a night in Dorchester hospital when my kidney decided to spit out some big-ass stones. Lovely nurses, quality care.

We were in there when my wife had pregnancy complications when holidaying in Lyme Regis. Great hospital, seemed in a different league to the ones we have round here

• Options
    edited August 2014

we take our caravan to Abbey Wood or Crystal Palace when we feel the urge to return.

Apologies SA, but that has really made me LOL.