Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dorset

Comments

• Options
    Moved from Kent to Bournemouth 8 years and without doubt the best thing I have ever done. I don't regret it for a minute.

Instantly I was taken back by the change in people's perceptions of life here - happy, proud of their area and a sense of positivity. It may have something to do with living by the coast but I've really embraced the way of life here. I go back to Kent occasionally and nothing ever seems to move on, life appears to be a 'grind' to most and it shows in their general demeanour.

There is always something going on in Bournemouth and most of Dorset. Festivals, fete's, concerts....it's a great place to raise your family.

I commute to London quite a bit through work. Trains are reliable (most of the time) and its between 1hr 50 and 2hr to Waterloo running twice an hour.

Oh, and I've walked past Yann about 3 or 4 times up town recently....
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Moved from Kent to Bournemouth 8 years and without doubt the best thing I have ever done. I don't regret it for a minute.

Instantly I was taken back by the change in people's perceptions of life here - happy, proud of their area and a sense of positivity. It may have something to do with living by the coast but I've really embraced the way of life here. I go back to Kent occasionally and nothing ever seems to move on, life appears to be a 'grind' to most and it shows in their general demeanour.

There is always something going on in Bournemouth and most of Dorset. Festivals, fete's, concerts....it's a great place to raise your family.

I commute to London quite a bit through work. Trains are reliable (most of the time) and its between 1hr 50 and 2hr to Waterloo running twice an hour.

Oh, and I've walked past Yann about 3 or 4 times up town recently....

Thanks for your post. Have you visited many other places in dorset? What places would you recommend settling down in?

Do you get the train from Salisbury?

Your story makes me think I should go for it!!!
  • Options
    If he moved to Bournemouth & talks about things going on in Bournemouth, he probably gets the train from Bournemouth.
  • Options
    This morning just made me realise about one of the things i hate with a passion about people down here, is....drivers and driving.
    They let you out, are polite, say thank you, stick to 30mph, unagressive(?), and just generally pleasant to people. I HATE IT - why cant they cut people up, nick parking places, make rude signs, and speed over the speed bumps,threaten to beat you up - just like i'm used to. AAArrrGGGHHHHH.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

If he moved to Bournemouth & talks about things going on in Bournemouth, he probably gets the train from Bournemouth.

Thank you for your answer. I gathered it was Bournemouth. However Bournemouth is a big place and has more than one train station.

Thanks again though.
  • Options

Thank you for your answer. I gathered it was Bournemouth. However Bournemouth is a big place and has more than one train station.

Thanks again though.
    Salisbury train station isn't in Bournemouth :-)
  • Options
    Good God no!
    We don't want any more Londoners down here, polluting the area with their arrogance, their bad manners and their stress
    . ;-)

Seriously, moved the family down here 27 years ago and never looked back. It's all about quality of life.
    If you are planning on commuting to London though, you really don't want to be going any further west than Bournemouth or Poole. Even then, 4 or 5 hours return journey on a train every day could be draining.
  • Options

Well, I've just received a call from our son who lives in Dorking, saying that , having looked to move up the housing ladder in that vicinity , he and his wife have made the decision to move to East Sussex ! This was the last thing I expected to hear as they love Dorking and their eldest is settled into a good Primary School there.

However, it's one of the most expensive areas in the Home Counties and to make a worthwhile upgrade they would need to spend a further £200,000! They have a courtyard garden with no opportunity for the kids to ride their bikes or even kick a football around so this is one of the reasons for their decision....and Tim badly wants a dog.

We were all at our daughter's 12 acre property in Wadhurst on Saturday & I believe the freedom, peace & quiet etc there hit home for our son & daughter in law. This is a dream come true for me , hearing today's news, as I have yearned to move to the area for several months since Laura & co relocated. Being close to both kids and their families , being able to help each other and seeing far more of everyone would be fantastic, especially as we are getting past our sell by date.

So, another indication of the lure of the countryside and, hopefully, a better quality of life is on the cards.

2014 could turn out to be the best year ever !

Someone say "DOG" ;)

• Options
    Fanny, just catching up on this thread. Look forward to seeing you both on the Valley Express later this season ;-))
  • Options

Fanny, just catching up on this thread. Look forward to seeing you both on the Valley Express later this season ;-))

You never know, Large...

Just remember, it's a secret for the time being in case you speak to Mr F !

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I moved to East Devon about 12 years ago, just accross the border from Dorset, about 30 mins from Yeovil and Lyme Regis. If you've got kids or are thinking of them then there is no better place to grow up than the west country. However, once they've grown up for them it can be mind numbingly boring :)
  • Options

You never know, Large...

Just sell up and tell him when it's a done deal.
  • Options

You never know, Large...

Just sell up and tell him when it's a done deal.
    Sounds like a cunning plan !

• Options

I moved to East Devon about 12 years ago, just accross the border from Dorset, about 30 mins from Yeovil and Lyme Regis. If you've got kids or are thinking of them then there is no better place to grow up than the west country. However, once they've grown up for them it can be mind numbingly boring :)

I have no kids... Would you have any particular areas you would suggest settling down in?
  • Options

So, sorta Honiton way.?
  • Options
    A quick update for everyone..

I now have a Interview on the 22nd Of October. Included in that day is a meeting with people from HR.

The Mrs also has a interview for a job the same day so it's becoming a real possibility.

Went down to Sherborne last month and it was lovely. Dorchester/Bridport I wasn't overly impressed with...
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Further south from Sherborne lovely to... Villages like Cerne Abbass, Godmanstone on the A352 before you get to Dorchester. Good pubs too. Been on holiday down there a couple of times in the last few years.
  • Options
    A few charlton lifers know a nice little pub in Sherborne. tho sadly my mate has given it up and moved to her next venture in Sandbanks... visiting that next month!
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

A few charlton lifers know a nice little pub in Sherborne. tho sadly my mate has given it up and moved to her next venture in Sandbanks... visiting that next month!

@Curb_It‌ what does she think of Sherbourne as a place to live?
  • Options
    She loved it. Ive spent many weekends down there and I think its a lovely place. Could quite happily live there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just to give everyone an update. I've been offered a conditional job subject to vetting etc... They have a 5 offices throughout dorset. However it's looking like it will be Poole or Bournemouth I'll be based in.

@BournemouthAddick Is it possible to live in either place and still be close enough to live somewhere rural?
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

'Arry Redknapp might buy you a half. He lives in Sandbanks. Might be his local.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Curb_It said:

Probably has a massive tab behind the bar.
  • Options
    Unfortunately my partner isn't convinced on the idea... So will have some work persuading her and then finding the right area to try and buy in.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Curb_It said:

Erm funny you should say that... I have been told how Harry likes his bacon. He's very very precise.
  • Options

Just to give everyone an update. I've been offered a conditional job subject to vetting etc... They have a 5 offices throughout dorset. However it's looking like it will be Poole or Bournemouth I'll be based in.

@BournemouthAddick Is it possible to live in either place and still be close enough to live somewhere rural?

In my experience it is definitely possible to work in poole and live rural/coastal. People I work with come in from all over the area.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

In my experience it is definitely possible to work in poole and live rural/coastal. People I work with come in from all over the area.
    Definitely is Eddie. I live in the New Forest and drive to Poole each day. Takes me about 45mins to do 20 miles. If you're living on the other side of Poole, then I'd imagine the travelling time would be even less. There are people in my offices who come in from Weymouth / Dorchester and don't think they experience many issues.
  • Options
    I live 20 min's from Poole, 8 miles west of Wareham in Winfrith, very rural. Around Wareham there are lots of little villages & Hamlets all being rural. Property though is a bit expensive but lived here 16 years now & love it. I commute both by train & car to London & rest of UK so no issues with that.
  • Options

I live 20 min's from Poole, 8 miles west of Wareham in Winfrith, very rural. Around Wareham there are lots of little villages & Hamlets all being rural. Property though is a bit expensive but lived here 16 years now & love it. I commute both by train & car to London & rest of UK so no issues with that.

That's fascinating. How long does it take you to get into London?

I will look into it.
  • Options
    If I train it into London I get on at Wool or Wareham, direct line to Waterloo, it's not that quick though 2.5 hr's journey. if I drive so long as I am on the road by 0530 hr's I can be in the outskirts of central London by 0730 its approx 110 miles. I have to go to Farnborough (Hampshire) jnc 4 on M3 quite a lot, door to door 90 miles in the morning 90 min's going home though it takes longer and in the summer try not to travel on a Friday, the M27 & A31 gets snarled with holiday makers. I do all the Valley night matches with the occasional night away game but no longer go on a Saturday., too much to do in rural Dorset.