Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dorset

Comments

• Options

Shameful advert for our privately owned caravan that we do hire out just outside Weymouth - obviously discounts for fellow lifers will be available:

http://www.ukcaravans4hire.com/to-let-userid1408.html

Here you go Cray :smile:
  • Options
    Having stayed at that park in can tell you that it is one of the best down there and when the weather is good one of the finest places for quality family time, my one downer with haven is how busy and full it gets meaning careful planning for the evenings
  • Options
    Going to be renting a property around 15 minutes from Sherborne (Chetnole for those in the know). And a hour from Poole (where I'll be working) going to do some paper work on Friday for it..

Looks like this is actually happening! Scary stuff...
  • Options
    enjoy and embrace it you seem set on it , youll never know until you try
  • Options
    Good luck, lovely part of the county, lovely countryside boozers and long walks, Sherborne is really nice and Yeovil not thar far either. Dorchester is only 30 mins away and that is being invested in and redeveloped very well. The journey to Poole and back will be mostly rural A roads and a million miles, and years, different to the M25. Get yourself a flat cap, tweed jacket and Wellingtons and the locals will accept you far quicker than you'd imagine!!!!!!!
  • Options
    what you doing workwise down there ?
  • Options
    Nice one Cray. I do Bournemouth to Taunton regularly so know those roads well. Proper Deliverance country up there though so make sure you invest in a decent smock, a Best of the Wurzels cassette for the tractor and a piece of straw to roll from one side of your mouth to the other.

In all seriousness all the best for what is going to be a big change of lifestyle.
  • Options
    Thanks gents. It's a huge move and a very different way of life! Unfortunley for me, London isn't for me anymore. The only negative for me is a slight drop in money! (6k a month).
  • Options
    You are only going to be earning 6,000 a month... my heart bleeds.
  • Options
    I really hope he meant 6k a year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes a year I meant!!! Haha!! @Curb_It @chiaddick
  • Options
    ChiAddick said:

I really hope he meant 6k a year.

He'll be on £6k a year tops, soon enough!

Remember, it's West Country wages.
    But you'll be richer in so many other ways.

Good luck, Cray!

• Options
    Thank gawd for that if it was a month then why rent in Chetnole, you could buy the village!!!!!!
  • Options
    Quick question for you lot following this story...

How much would your shift pattern effect your decision in moving?

I've just been given my shift pattern and its absolute crap...

• Options
    R is a day off by the way!!
  • Options
    Depends what that shift pattern is like compared to the one you are on?
  • Options
    I would presume if you really wanted to move to Dorset you would. If you don't like the job/shift, you can look for another job down there.
  • Options
    @CoveredEnd Mrs is having cold feet about it all as she has been really put off about the job she will be doing and her shift pattern. My shift pattern will be changing quite a bit to aswell as the role.

Advice from anyone would be welcome, but do I still move and just deal with them things? Or do i do a U turn on it all?!
  • Options
    Have you written down a list of pros and cons ? This may assist.
    Also, which of you is making the ultimate decision ?
    I feel for something like this, I would possibly go with the wife's view.
    In which case, her view's would be the most important, if that is the case.
  • Options

Quick question for you lot following this story...

How much would your shift pattern effect your decision in moving?

I've just been given my shift pattern and its absolute crap...

So what is it that you do? - you haven't told us. Unless it's something really obscure, there must be other opportunities for you both once you are settled.

For what it's worth, my advice would be go for it. Or spend the rest of your life regretting it. (If you hate it or can't settle, move back to London. But I'd be amazed if you wanted to)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @CoveredEnd Yes we have mate. Her list has more cons, mine has more pros. We both work in the same job (Investigation type work) and have both been offered jobs down there. She just doesn't like the shift pattern and the type of work to start off with. She loves the area but not keen on the work. Which I agree with too.

@fortune82ndminute it's a tough decision but I had very similar advice about just going for it! I would be initially renting too which wouldnhelp.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    You spend most of your day either at work or commuting and if you don't like the type of work and shift patterns, you will likely be miserable, even if you prefer the surroundings.

So, I would say, if you feel that it is unlikely the work/shift issues will not change reasonably quickly, then you are not really benefiting.
    What you gain in one area, you lose in another.

Why not, keep looking, for more suitable, job opportunities, down there and in the mean time, have a couple of driving holidays, to get to know the area even better ?

Then, when a better work opportunity arises, there should be more pros than cons.

If you go and the wife's really not happy, I can't see it working.

If she's not happy, you won't be happy.

I would add, that for something life changing, like this. I am more cautious than bold, so you have to bear that in mind.

• Options

You spend most of your day either at work or commuting and if you don't like the type of work and shift patterns, you will likely be miserable, even if you prefer the surroundings.

So, I would say, if you feel that it is unlikely the work/shift issues will not change reasonably quickly, then you are not really benefiting.
    What you gain in one area, you lose in another.

Why not, keep looking, for more suitable, job opportunities, down there and in the mean time, have a couple of driving holidays, to get to know the area even better ?

Then, when a better work opportunity arises, there should be more pros than cons.

If you go and the wife's really not happy, I can't see it working.

If she's not happy, you won't be happy.

I would add, that for something life changing, like this. I am more cautious than bold, so you have to bear that in mind.

@coveredend Appreciate your advice. I do agree with everything you have said. The only thing I would add is that due to the type of work we do, this is a one time offer in this particalur area. Especially for both of us to have a position. If you have a look at the above, the shift pattern isn't great :neutral:
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Have you spoken to the "person"/HR re shift patterns ?
    Can they be changed ?
    Can you say you are not willing to come, unless the shifts are altered ?

If the shifts can't be altered, then your wife needs to decide what is most important.
    Like you say, you would go, so you've made up your mind.
    But if she is going to be unhappy, I can't see it working.
  • Options
    Good luck with the move Officer
  • Options

Have you spoken to the "person"/HR re shift patterns ?
    Can they be changed ?
    Can you say you are not willing to come, unless the shifts are altered ?

If the shifts can't be altered, then your wife needs to decide what is most important.
    Like you say, you would go, so you've made up your mind.
    But if she is going to be unhappy, I can't see it working.

@coveredend

I could try that approach as a last resort i guess.. I doubt very much there is room for movement though. I agree though it can't happen unless she wants to too.

@afkabartram Officer? That's an assumption of you sir ;-)
  • Options
    Well it's your own fault for being so feckin elusive. I did have sarge in at first but decided to demote you :-)
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Well it's your own fault for being so feckin elusive. I did have sarge in at first but decided to demote you :-)

I reckon he's M15 or MI6. Maybe GCHQ.

Or more probably, an insurance fraud man!
  • Options
    Just do it Cray, if we dilly dallied over the pros and cons we would never have moved, I had to commute to London, 1st year was tough, but it all settled down and never looked back since, 16 years now. This Easter weekend has been great down here, lots on, weather great. Only downside was yesterday took dogs out onto Weymouth beach then around harbour for a breakfast, there was a bloody big boat moored up must have been worth a few bob, the "Lions Den" from London, obviously a Millwall bloody fan!!!!
  • Options
    @Daarrzzetbum How long was your commute?

@AFKABartram I like the element of mystery... Plus some things have to remain a secret ;-)