Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dorset

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2014
    lockquote class="Quote" rel="cafcpolo">Cray - you're can train from Dorchester direct to Waterloo, is a good 3.5hr train journey though. Probably quicker to drive to Poole (possibly Weymouth) for a faster train.

However "Dorch" as it's own locally is a nice area to live as is Lyme Regis if you were looking there.As others have said, the house prices are not as cheap as you'd expect compared to salaries, however apart from an area called Boscombe and a couple of places near Poole, you can't really go wrong.

If it's affordable, do it. Yoowlsll not regret it. Lived here half of my live now and unless it was a luxury place abroad, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

I've been looking a lot at trains and the quickest ones seem to run from Salisbury, will have to check the times from Weymouth though I'm sure it was over 2 hours.

How have you found life down there compared to London/Greater London?

Weymouth train will be well over 2hrs closer to 3 I'd think. Don't really like Weymouth itself and it has a big drugs problem (but not on Boscombe scales). People do commute from Bournemouth but you're looking at 2hr before factoring in additional travel either end. I certainly could not do it. For me Poole would probably be right on the absolute max for commuting distance even for people used to it. Lyme Regis and anything west of that are absolutely lovely but not commutable by anyones standards I'd say.

Roads and getting about can be a right arse ache tbf and we have zero miles of moyorway if you're looking at a map thinking that places are not that far apart. I have to go to Dorchester tomorrow and from this side of Bournemouth I reckon close to an hour comfortably in the morning.

If Salisbury is an option for trains then you are probably looking at somewhere further north like Shaftsbury, Blandford or Gillingham. Proper countryside out that way, which may take some getting used to as it can be a pain when the nearest pint of milk and newspaper is a 20 minute round trip in your car. Colleagues of mine can do Blandford to the outskirts of Poole in 20-25minutes to give you some idea.

You will miss things, I still miss beer ups with mates in Chinatown even now, let alone being able to jump on tube home afterwards. If you're serious about Lyme Regis you need to know that you ain't going to have a multiplex cinema handy or One Direction playing the village hall and it's not for the night owls of this world for certain.

Not a great time to do it but I'd suggest a long weekend around the Blandford Forum/Tarrant Valley area might give you an idea if it's for you or not.

Edit - just seen your pm...sorry but think above might give you food for thought.
  • Options

lockquote class="Quote" rel="cafcpolo">Cray - you're can train from Dorchester direct to Waterloo, is a good 3.5hr train journey though. Probably quicker to drive to Poole (possibly Weymouth) for a faster train.

However "Dorch" as it's own locally is a nice area to live as is Lyme Regis if you were looking there.As others have said, the house prices are not as cheap as you'd expect compared to salaries, however apart from an area called Boscombe and a couple of places near Poole, you can't really go wrong.

If it's affordable, do it. Yoowlsll not regret it. Lived here half of my live now and unless it was a luxury place abroad, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

I've been looking a lot at trains and the quickest ones seem to run from Salisbury, will have to check the times from Weymouth though I'm sure it was over 2 hours.

How have you found life down there compared to London/Greater London?

Weymouth train will be well over 2hrs closer to 3 I'd think. Don't really like Weymouth itself and it has a big drugs problem (but not on Boscombe scales). People do commute from Bournemouth but you're looking at 2hr before factoring in additional travel either end. I certainly could not do it. For me Poole would probably be right on the absolute max for commuting distance even for people used to it. Lyme Regis and anything west of that are absolutely lovely but not commutable by anyones standards I'd say.

Roads and getting about can be a right arse ache tbf and we have zero miles of moyorway if you're looking at a map thinking that places are not that far apart. I have to go to Dorchester tomorrow and from this side of Bournemouth I reckon close to an hour comfortably in the morning.

If Salisbury is an option for trains then you are probably looking at somewhere further north like Shaftsbury, Blandford or Gillingham. Proper countryside out that way, which may take some getting used to as it can be a pain when the nearest pint of milk and newspaper is a 20 minute round trip in your car. Colleagues of mine can do Blandford to the outskirts of Poole in 20-25minutes to give you some idea.

You will miss things, I still miss beer ups with mates in Chinatown even now, let alone being able to jump on tube home afterwards. If you're serious about Lyme Regis you need to know that you ain't going to have a multiplex cinema handy or One Direction playing the village hall and it's not for the night owls of this world for certain.

Not a great time to do it but I'd suggest a long weekend around the Blandford Forum/Tarrant Valley area might give you an idea if it's for you or not.

Edit - just seen your pm...sorry but think above might give you food for thought.

Why don't you think it's a good time to do it?

How did you end up that way?

I think looking at it over the last couple of days it would be very unfair/difficult for my partner to have to travel over two hours if we lived in the Lyme Regis area. Looking at the map Blandford Forum seems better suited but again this would mean a sizeable commute for her.

It's a huge decision when faced with it. One that I don't want to get wrong.
  • Options

Wanted to get some advice from lifers on here. I potentially have a job down in Dorset pending a medical and a couple other bits.

First Yann, now CrayAddick, when will it stop?
  • Options
    You could live in Sherborne, its inland but has a rail service. Tho it would break the bank to commute from there - extortionate.

Somone I know lives in from Sherborne, he drove to Salisbury every day (an hours drive), used to leave home about 5am. He gave it up tho as couldnt hack the commuting hours. But he was lucky enough not to have to work.

Thats a big ask of your partner im afraid. I couldnt do it, sadly. I want to move to Sandgate but that would cost me 700 quid a month in fares.
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

Wanted to get some advice from lifers on here. I potentially have a job down in Dorset pending a medical and a couple other bits.

First Yann, now CrayAddick, when will it stop?
    I could of gone further north to Brighton ;)
  • Options
    Well, I've just received a call from our son who lives in Dorking, saying that , having looked to move up the housing ladder in that vicinity , he and his wife have made the decision to move to East Sussex ! This was the last thing I expected to hear as they love Dorking and their eldest is settled into a good Primary School there.

However, it's one of the most expensive areas in the Home Counties and to make a worthwhile upgrade they would need to spend a further £200,000! They have a courtyard garden with no opportunity for the kids to ride their bikes or even kick a football around so this is one of the reasons for their decision....and Tim badly wants a dog.

We were all at our daughter's 12 acre property in Wadhurst on Saturday & I believe the freedom, peace & quiet etc there hit home for our son & daughter in law. This is a dream come true for me , hearing today's news, as I have yearned to move to the area for several months since Laura & co relocated. Being close to both kids and their families , being able to help each other and seeing far more of everyone would be fantastic, especially as we are getting past our sell by date.

So, another indication of the lure of the countryside and, hopefully, a better quality of life is on the cards.

2014 could turn out to be the best year ever !
  • Options
    i went to a seminar once about boiled potatoes,skimmed milk and Yoghurt ..turned out it was a BLAND FOOD FORUM
  • Options
    My office is on the Poole/wareham border, and commute from beckenham. Doing it in a day is a nightmare, train or car. Dorset has no motorways, so traffic snarls at the slightest issue. I work from home and travel abroad a lot so I'm in one or two days a week max and couldn't do the commute more than that long term. That is also going against the traffic, so for your partner it means jams by 6.30 going into town or a busy train for over 2 hours.

Dorset is an incredible place though, beautiful scenery and of course the coast. A colleague has moved down from herts and loves it, but they've relocated their whole life.

I had 6 months probation so said I wouldn't move down during that, and they paid relocation costs during that period to allow me to stay down and see if it was feasible. Is this an option?

Also, what about the Hampshire area? You get an hour commute and so does your partner...the Winchester/romsey areas are lovely. Not so much rigged country but a happy medium maybe?

Good luck mate, it is a tough decision that worked out the best of both worlds for me, but I know I'm lucky. Let me know if you have specific questions and I'll give you my honest opinion

All the best
  • Options
    Everyone needs a fanny to love
  • Options

we take our caravan to Abbey Wood or Crystal Palace when we feel the urge to return.

Apologies SA, but that has really made me LOL.
    No probs, , glad to have made you chuckle.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fanny, i'll PM you later about your Sons gaff - i'm looking to move to Dorking area !!
  • Options

My office is on the Poole/wareham border, and commute from beckenham. Doing it in a day is a nightmare, train or car. Dorset has no motorways, so traffic snarls at the slightest issue. I work from home and travel abroad a lot so I'm in one or two days a week max and couldn't do the commute more than that long term. That is also going against the traffic, so for your partner it means jams by 6.30 going into town or a busy train for over 2 hours.

Dorset is an incredible place though, beautiful scenery and of course the coast. A colleague has moved down from herts and loves it, but they've relocated their whole life.

I had 6 months probation so said I wouldn't move down during that, and they paid relocation costs during that period to allow me to stay down and see if it was feasible. Is this an option?

Also, what about the Hampshire area? You get an hour commute and so does your partner...the Winchester/romsey areas are lovely. Not so much rigged country but a happy medium maybe?

Good luck mate, it is a tough decision that worked out the best of both worlds for me, but I know I'm lucky. Let me know if you have specific questions and I'll give you my honest opinion

All the best

Thanks for this. At what stage did you actually think "I'm actually going to do this?"

I've spoken to the my potiental new employee earlier and they are really flexible about when I can start.

Would you recommend any particular area in dorset?
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Well, I've just received a call from our son who lives in Dorking, saying that , having looked to move up the housing ladder in that vicinity , he and his wife have made the decision to move to East Sussex ! This was the last thing I expected to hear as they love Dorking and their eldest is settled into a good Primary School there.

However, it's one of the most expensive areas in the Home Counties and to make a worthwhile upgrade they would need to spend a further £200,000! They have a courtyard garden with no opportunity for the kids to ride their bikes or even kick a football around so this is one of the reasons for their decision....and Tim badly wants a dog.

We were all at our daughter's 12 acre property in Wadhurst on Saturday & I believe the freedom, peace & quiet etc there hit home for our son & daughter in law. This is a dream come true for me , hearing today's news, as I have yearned to move to the area for several months since Laura & co relocated. Being close to both kids and their families , being able to help each other and seeing far more of everyone would be fantastic, especially as we are getting past our sell by date.

So, another indication of the lure of the countryside and, hopefully, a better quality of life is on the cards.

2014 could turn out to be the best year ever !

Forgot to say, please don't mention this to Mr F if you speak to him....

He's yet to be persuaded it would be a good move for us.

• Options

All the best

Thanks for this. At what stage did you actually think "I'm actually going to do this?"

I've spoken to the my potiental new employee earlier and they are really flexible about when I can start.

Would you recommend any particular area in dorset?
    Well I never did make the move (if that's what you mean?) me and my now wife discussed it before I took the job and since she's not from London she had no worries leaving. So I went ahead then we found the problem was her equivalent job in Dorset was a 10k pay drop and almost negated my pay rise and any cheaper standard of living right away.

After about 6 weeks of commuting/living down there on my own I realised it's not what I wanted either. I got lucky with a few contracts in my probation so when I passed it I felt confident enough to say I didn't think I needed to make the move as I was clearly managing not living down there and quite amazingly my then boss agreed.

So I can only really go practical and tell you about the commute and such as I have spent a lot of time down there but never bit the bullet and moved. In my opinion the best places I've been in Dorset are: Parkstone (Poole), Dorchester, Wimborne, lulworth, worth matravers and Corfe castle. Dorset experts will tell you they're all in a similar area - really nice though!

It is expensive down there, I'd like to think I'd go at some point but I've just moved to beckenham and think that's a bit out of town for me!

Where is the job if you don't mind me asking? If you have any areas on mind you're considering, I'll happily offer an opinion, or ask my colleagues what they think.

While I don't envy the choice you have to make, it's probably what you'd call a good headache in football cliches!
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I moved to Bournemouth from Welling after I graduated for a teaching job.

If commuting back to London is essential then unless you have unbelievable patience then the commute is going to wear very thin; Expensive and long winded. Most SW trains run into Waterloo. If you don't work near Waterloo thats another expense or time consuming journey.

If commuting to London isn't essential then it does depend on you and your family's preference.

As others have said house prices are not that cheap.

Bournemouth has everything you need and in general is a clean, friendly place with good schools and amenities. I have to admit I did miss my mates (was 22 when I moved) but soon made other friends through football and work.

Ive since moved back to Bexleyheath. I do miss the sea and the New Forest.

Without knowing you, my advice would be to really decide if it completely necessary to commute to London.

Also, Southampton isn't too far from Bournemouth. May be employment opportunities there for the missus?
  • Options
    ChiAddick said:

I moved to Bournemouth from Welling after I graduated for a teaching job.

If commuting back to London is essential then unless you have unbelievable patience then the commute is going to wear very thin; Expensive and long winded. Most SW trains run into Waterloo. If you don't work near Waterloo thats another expense or time consuming journey.

If commuting to London isn't essential then it does depend on you and your family's preference.

As others have said house prices are not that cheap.

Bournemouth has everything you need and in general is a clean, friendly place with good schools and amenities. I have to admit I did miss my mates (was 22 when I moved) but soon made other friends through football and work.

Ive since moved back to Bexleyheath. I do miss the sea and the New Forest.

Without knowing you, my advice would be to really decide if it completely necessary to commute to London.

Also, Southampton isn't too far from Bournemouth. May be employment opportunities there for the missus?

Judging by what everyone is saying, asking my other half to commute up to two hours each day is something she would struggle with over time. And I wouldn't want her to do tbh.

There would be a job I think for the missus if she wanted it (we both do similar roles). But I think she isn't quite as keen as me to make the move. May need some convincing!

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Tbh it will likely be more than 3 hours each way, if you're as far as the coast. It takes 2.5 hours to drive from Bromley to Swanage, when there is no traffic about and lets say, perhaps, not sticking to speed limits. You'd likely be leaving home at 5.30, to get to work for 9am.

I believe if you're going to move down there (which could well be fantastic), you need to work down there as well.
  • Options
    I moved to the new forest from Barnehurst about 9 years ago. By and large have not regretted it but do miss friday nights drinking with my mates. When I first moved I had a list of things which meant travelling back that I would keep doing. The first to go was the season ticket and then after that the roadworks on the M25 made it an easy excuse not to go. In hindsight would I make the same move again. Absolutely. But I am going to start making more of an effort to come back more regularly.
    I didn't realise there are so many of us down here.
  • Options
    If you remove the S in the title of this thread and replace it with L and rearrange the letters.....
  • Options
    cabbles said:

If you remove the S in the title of this thread and replace it with L and rearrange the letters.....

Retold?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

cabbles said:

Retold?
    It has been retold, over and over....

DELORT
  • Options

I moved to the new forest from Barnehurst about 9 years ago. By and large have not regretted it but do miss friday nights drinking with my mates. When I first moved I had a list of things which meant travelling back that I would keep doing. The first to go was the season ticket and then after that the roadworks on the M25 made it an easy excuse not to go. In hindsight would I make the same move again. Absolutely. But I am going to start making more of an effort to come back more regularly.

Any chance of you "locals" getting together to pool your transport resources/share petrol costs etc for home games ? And even away ....

Could even set up a Hants/Dorset Addicks Branch ?

• Options
    ChiAddick said:

Bournemouth is a clean

Beg to differ
  • Options
    Decent enough place and nice to have a beautiful beach on your doorstep, but not in a million years would I move down there if I didn't have to for uni. Lived in Poole last year, nicer place. If you can afford to I'd recommend Winchester... Really, really nice place and wouldn't be far to commute.
  • Options
    This is probably no help but life is not a rehearsal. I spend most of my life now living at my home on the Kent/Sussex border having spent a lot of time in Asia. If it's what you/your partner want in life for yourself/partner/family etc., just do it.
  • Options

Any chance of you "locals" getting together to pool your transport resources/share petrol costs etc for home games ? And even away ....

Good idea. One of the things that stopped me going was the 2 hr drive home on my own. Always seemed much worse after a midweek defeat.
    Anyone else up for sharing transport for some home games?
  • Options

Tbh it will likely be more than 3 hours each way, if you're as far as the coast. It takes 2.5 hours to drive from Bromley to Swanage, when there is no traffic about and lets say, perhaps, not sticking to speed limits. You'd likely be leaving home at 5.30, to get to work for 9am.

I believe if you're going to move down there (which could well be fantastic), you need to work down there as well.

This is very true. I think realistically it will only work if the mrs can get work in dorset to. We our going to do a few days down there to see what we think.

This is probably no help but life is not a rehearsal. I spend most of my life now living at my home on the Kent/Sussex border having spent a lot of time in Asia. If it's what you/your partner want in life for yourself/partner/family etc., just do it.

That's very true, think that's how I've got to that point in my life.
  • Options

Good idea. One of the things that stopped me going was the 2 hr drive home on my own. Always seemed much worse after a midweek defeat.
    To put this out to a wider audience ( though we know EVERYONE that's ANYONE is a Lifer) may I suggest emailing the Comms Team ( FAO Olly Groome or Iain Liddle) to request a paragraph in an upcoming Valley Review .

Should just need your name & email address for contact.

Might even get a spot on the OS if you ask.

• Options

To put this out to a wider audience ( though we know EVERYONE that's ANYONE is a Lifer) may I suggest emailing the Comms Team ( FAO Olly Groome or Iain Liddle) to request a paragraph in an upcoming Valley Review .

Should just need your name & email address for contact.

Might even get a spot on the OS if you ask.

Is this thread now becoming the birthplace of the south west addick crew?

Can I have some sort of credit in the groups new name for starting the thread ;-)
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

ChiAddick said:

Bournemouth is a clean

Beg to differ
    Obviously there are some rough places like boscombe. But in the main it's a clean place.