Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dorset

12346»

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2015
    What's the chances of progression within the job and would that change the shifts

Also think of it that this provides you the move you obviously do really want, but will throw up numerous opportunities to meet new people who may have businesses or contacts that can help you change your whole career choice,

It may even open a door to do something that you've never considered for yourself as a business

The fear of the unknown is always a huge fear and change is the most stressful thing that all Fear

For me I made a decision to push for redundancy after over 20 years in employment, I left to do the knowledge and something came up that was a huge risk and is harder than anything I have ever done but I had to try or spend the rest of my life wonder wondering
  • Options
    @nthlondonaddick Thanks for your input. What did you end up doing? It's very true about the whole "what if" situation.

It would be 2 years I think before any change in role could be made... Though I would love to get stuck into another career as this one no longer interests me to be honest.
  • Options
    I started an events logistics company setting up confrences, trade shows, festivals, storing over sized brand items for large and small companies

Started as me and one guy from a clients distribution center and has within a year grown to having 5 guys and me 3 lorries our own o licence to run lorries up to artics and our own warehouse which we have outgrown and are looking to move

We started as a uk only operation but have since made contacts and operated across Europe

It's hard and so far the work life balance is totally out of sync but I understand that the first few years I have to just get on with that and try to grow it organically, problem we have is sometimes we are faced with making a decision to go big or go home, so far we have got those calls right

• Options
    I got the train Cray, Wool to Waterloo 3 days a week (it was a lot cheaper 16 years ago I might add), then started to work from home as well as traveling UK wide, eventually took redundancy, couple of years sabbatical thought about up rooting and going across into Europe, but kids were young settled in their Village school so we stayed and it's all worked out better than I could have imagined or planned. Had to get back to work and consequently spend a bit of time on the road when necessary doing what I do but always home on a Friday and most Mondays. Kids now grown up, 19 & 22, one's done Uni the other is about to start, both have had a great time and neither of them would want to live in a big town/city. My philosophy is If you don't follow your instinct you will always been asking what if!!
  • Options

I got the train Cray, Wool to Waterloo 3 days a week (it was a lot cheaper 16 years ago I might add), then started to work from home as well as traveling UK wide, eventually took redundancy, couple of years sabbatical thought about up rooting and going across into Europe, but kids were young settled in their Village school so we stayed and it's all worked out better than I could have imagined or planned. Had to get back to work and consequently spend a bit of time on the road when necessary doing what I do but always home on a Friday and most Mondays. Kids now grown up, 19 & 22, one's done Uni the other is about to start, both have had a great time and neither of them would want to live in a big town/city. My philosophy is If you don't follow your instinct you will always been asking what if!!

@Daarrzzetbum You could write a book. Great story. I think for me this job will be short lived should we move down. The job will hopefully get us into the right area and then I can go from there and hopefully find something else to do.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Moving down to Dorset the 1st of june. Signed and official.

Thank you everyone for there input along the way... Life change here I come!!!
  • Options
    Where did you choose?
  • Options
    Good luck fortune favours the brave
  • Options

Moved down here nearly 30 years ago and have never regretted it.
    It's all about quality of life.
    I have great memories of growing up in Woolwich and Abbey Wood, but I've never wanted to move back.
    Good luck Cray

• Options
    Good luck officer :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Moved down here nearly 30 years ago and have never regretted it.
    It's all about quality of life.
    I have great memories of growing up in Woolwich and Abbey Wood, but I've never wanted to move back.
    Good luck Cray

My exact motive. Hoping to start a buisness down here eventually.

Good luck officer :-)

They needed me after Bournemouth recent promotion ;-)
  • Options
    Good luck with the move Cray, if you see a black Landrover being driven by a good looking chap with a Charlton hat on - it might be me!!
  • Options

Good luck with the move Cray, if you see a black Landrover being driven by a good looking chap with a Charlton hat on - it might be me!!

Do we have special Dorset Charlton meet ups in place? Who's the local team now?
  • Options
    SWANS Rugby as a local team (know its not footy) for me, and not aware of any get together's.