Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Joe Gomez (ed. ongoing progress)

Comments

• Just seen a comment from Jurgen Klopp on the BBC Sportsday rolling new thingy

Apparently Joe is finally back in Full Training... has taken him a year to manage it, hope he's not lost any of his potential

Good news. Hope he can push on now and challenge for an International place - suggest he checks if he has Spanish or German Grandparents.
  • Hope he is back playing soon, very good player.

Apparently Joe is finally back in Full Training... has taken him a year to manage it, hope he's not lost any of his potential

Good news. Hope he can push on now and challenge for an International place - suggest he checks if he has Spanish or German Grandparents.
    He'll be first-choice alongside Stones at WC 2018 is what I've been telling all my mates
    I reckon he could have gone to Euro 2016 had he been fit

He'll be first-choice alongside Stones at WC 2018 is what I've been telling all my mates
    I reckon he could have gone to Euro 2016 had he been fit
    Dodged a bullet there then
  • Look luck Joe, hope you are in Liverpool's team before long and then in the England squad
  • sam3110 said:

This is where the emergency loan window made sense, as he could go on loan for a month or two to a championship club to regain match fitness. Now he has to wait to play in reserve games or the cups before being thrust back into the premier league

Coming back to us...wait, I forget.
  • Good luck to him. Potentially our best ever Academy product.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2016
    Dominic King ‏@DominicKing_DM 3m3 minutes ago Zurich, Switzerland
    Huddersfield interested in taking Joe Gomez on loan when he returns to match fitness; @LFC want him to get regular games.
  • Dominic King ‏@DominicKing_DM 3m3 minutes ago Zurich, Switzerland
    Huddersfield interested in taking Joe Gomez on loan when he returns to match fitness; @LFC want him to get regular games.

Sad to say that that would be a good move for him

• Funnily Wagner (Huddersfield boss) is genuine best mates with Jurgen Klopp.

Makes absolute sense him going there and linking up with Kasey Palmer though

And Holmes-Dennis although don't think he's been in their team.

And Holmes-Dennis although don't think he's been in their team.
    Was an un-used sub on Saturday but wasnt on the bench last night
  • se9addick said:

I read recently in the Daily Mirror (also the Liverpool Echo) that Klopp doesn't want to risk Gomez out on loan.

Asked if Gomez would compete for a first-team spot in the new year or head out on loan, Klopp said: “No to the second question about a loan.

“For us, I don’t think so. We had a very good talk. What I think about Joe Gomez is he is an unbelievable talent, which everybody knew before. It’s a long injury and if we send him on loan, with his quality, a team will play him every game. That is not what he needs in the moment. Because he was a long time injured he needs us to judge: ‘now play, now stop, rest, work on this, do this, do a little bit on this’.”

Klopp is a huge admirer of Gomez and wanted to take him to Borussia Dortmund before his Liverpool job, seems like he wants to take great care of him. I suppose this is how the professionals manage players injuries?

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/klopp-reveals-liverpools-new-year-12299809

Klopp is a very intelligent manager, no offence to the recent incumbents (well, offence intended to Karel) but when you read even a short comment like that you start to understand why guys like him are at the top of their game.

Liverpools defencd is very vulnerable this year, if Joe can get him back to something approaching match fitness over the festive period he could have a big second half of the season.
    Yet another side effect of the ban on emergency loans, is that he can't go out on loan in, say, January or February for a month to get match fitness when their medical team feel it's useful, it's either half a season or nothing,
  • se9addick said:

I read recently in the Daily Mirror (also the Liverpool Echo) that Klopp doesn't want to risk Gomez out on loan.

Asked if Gomez would compete for a first-team spot in the new year or head out on loan, Klopp said: “No to the second question about a loan.

“For us, I don’t think so. We had a very good talk. What I think about Joe Gomez is he is an unbelievable talent, which everybody knew before. It’s a long injury and if we send him on loan, with his quality, a team will play him every game. That is not what he needs in the moment. Because he was a long time injured he needs us to judge: ‘now play, now stop, rest, work on this, do this, do a little bit on this’.”

Klopp is a huge admirer of Gomez and wanted to take him to Borussia Dortmund before his Liverpool job, seems like he wants to take great care of him. I suppose this is how the professionals manage players injuries?

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/klopp-reveals-liverpools-new-year-12299809

Klopp is a very intelligent manager, no offence to the recent incumbents (well, offence intended to Karel) but when you read even a short comment like that you start to understand why guys like him are at the top of their game.

Liverpools defencd is very vulnerable this year, if Joe can get him back to something approaching match fitness over the festive period he could have a big second half of the season.
    Yet another side effect of the ban on emergency loans, is that he can't go out on loan in, say, January or February for a month to get match fitness when their medical team feel it's useful, it's either half a season or nothing,
    I think that's exactly why the emergency loan system was abolished in the Premier League, what you've described couldn't really be considered an "emergency" could it ? Personally I think it should be allowed, but only for goalkeepers.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2017
    thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/gomez-to-make-liverpool-return-after-16-months-out-bwwm2dllz

Klopp obviously has a lot of time for Joe. Let's hope he's back permanently very soon.
  • edited January 2017

se9addick said:

Yes but Klopp has very sagely turned that idea down. He wants for himself and his team to manage Gomez's comeback, which I think is very smart.

Contrast that to Kashi or Diarra coming back into the side last year. Admittedly, I don't think Diarra was doing any further damage to himself given it was a fracture, but we see where Kashi is. A team like Liverpool can be more patient as they have a far larger squad and group of academy players to soften the blow, but still, they seem concerned in the player's long term health.

I have vaguely heard that, down the years, there has been talk in American sports, particularly American Football, about who club physios and doctors should work for. I don't follow it closely enough to have a firm understanding, but I believe a tendency toward shortsightedness to injuries was due in part to the team pressuring doctors to get players back on the field as quickly as possible.

I'll dig around and see if I can find any articles on this, as I suspect this goes on in all sport.
  • SDAddick said:

se9addick said:

Yes but Klopp has very sagely turned that idea down. He wants for himself and his team to manage Gomez's comeback, which I think is very smart.

Contrast that to Kashi or Diarra coming back into the side last year. Admittedly, I don't think Diarra was doing any further damage to himself given it was a fracture, but we see where Kashi is. A team like Liverpool can be more patient as they have a far larger squad and group of academy players to soften the blow, but still, they seem concerned in the player's long term health.

I have vaguely heard that, down the years, there has been talk in American sports, particularly American Football, about who club physios and doctors should work for. I don't follow it closely enough to have a firm understanding, but I believe a tendency toward shortsightedness to injuries was due in part to the team pressuring doctors to get players back on the field as quickly as possible.

I'll dig around and see if I can find any articles on this, as I suspect this goes on in all sport.
    Interesting point. Could having doctors employed by the governing body (FA, ECB, NFL, etc.) work? Regardless of who the club appoints to do the treatment, the overseeing doctor decides if the player is fit to return. I can see all sorts of court cases coming out of that.
  • edited January 2017

SDAddick said:

se9addick said:

Interesting point. Could having doctors employed by the governing body (FA, ECB, NFL, etc.) work? Regardless of who the club appoints to do the treatment, the overseeing doctor decides if the player is fit to return. I can see all sorts of court cases coming out of that.
    I seem to recall that being one idea, and another them being employed by players' unions. But yeah, it's easy to see how the team employing the doctor could create a conflict of interest between what's best for the team versus what's best, long term, for the player.

I know I read something on this a while back that cited some potential instances.

Here is a WashPo article on a Harvard Study recommending doctors not report to teams, but it doesn't cite any actual conflicts of interest:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/nfl-doctors-should-not-report-to-teams-harvard-study-recommends/2016/11/17/fc3a4e42-ac35-11e6-8b45-f8e493f06fcd_story.html?utm_term=.c5afd513b9f8
  • SDAddick said:

se9addick said:

It's easy to be patient with a squad defender who's barely played for you. At the end of the season if Liverpool are scrapping for top 4, key players will be playing when not fully fit, as the reward is so great
  • Starting today apparently
  • The Liverpool v Plymouth game is on BT Sport tomorrow at 1.30 or thereabouts. If Joe is playing, will try and catch it.
  • SDAddick said:

se9addick said:

I've no idea!
  • Will definitely tune in to the pool game. Very fond of Joe. Simply for his talent