Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Joe Gomez (ed. ongoing progress)

Comments

• Options
    I believe kentaddick has it.
  • Options
    WSS said:

Was Paul Elliot actually that good?

Before my time but thought he made minimal appearances for England youth teams.

Paul Elliot was excellent and should have gone on to be a regular for England. My Brother in law is a Chelsea supporter and he was one of his favourite players.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Paul Elliott was the one Charlton Player, who i said would play for England and Didn't. The tackle with Saunders put paid to any chance of that.
    Paul Walsh was my most outrageous prediction when i said he would play for the full England team after seeing him score a hat trick when only 16 for the youth team against Chelsea when Mike Bailey was manager.
    Said the same when Robert Lee ran riot at Wimbledon in one of his first matches.
    (took quite a few years thou).
    I was told about Joe Gomez 3 years ago and after seeing him glide over the ground in Spain in the summer, Text my family and said remember the name, this boy will play for the full England team.
  • Options

At the moment Elliot.

PE was more physical as I remember in a more physical era, both had/have pace and were/are technically good.

Gomez as played more games at RB than CH that I've seen and he looks good in both positions

After the last two appearances I've seen, then it's Gomez for me.

My God the lad has a hell of a footballing brain.

I really don't give a toss how much other teams want to pay for him, I want to see him at The Valley for as long as possible.

• Options
    Gomez has had to mark some pretty experienced, wily and narky characters this season,and had another one in Sharp yesterday, who had a few digs and kicks at him, as did Vaughan for Hudds.
    Doesn't phase him one bit and it seems he is able to get in the zone of focussing purely on defending while other things go in around him.
    Quality player.
  • Options
    The Football League awards ceremony can be viewed live on here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sFCHAj81V0
  • Options
    Lewis Cook wins
  • Options
    O what a surprise
  • Options
    If Joe played for Wank United he would have won.
    With Charlton Athletic on his CV, what chance did he have?
    Typical!
  • Options
    Yesterday in Crossbars watching the Arsenal vReading game.
    I was talking about Joe Gomez and these 2 Leeds guys on the next table in crossbars (one was a Londoner and the other a Leeds man)were telling me about Lewis Cook. It did sound they were the outstanding two youngsters in the champ.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2015

Lewis Cook wins

I'm sure Joe would take the three points from Lewis Cook's Leeds side over tonight's award.
  • Options
    Not really surprising that Cook won, he's played twice the amount of games that Gomez has
  • Options
    I've said it before - JoGo is not the new Mooro, he is potentially the new Beckenbauer ....
  • Options
    I wouldn't pay much attention to that article . If the right offer came in for him he would be sold.
  • Options
    Poorly written article. If someone offers huge money, he will inevitably go. Hopefully we can hang onto him for another year
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

I wouldn't pay much attention to that article . If the right offer came in for him he would be sold.

Though you can't force a player to go. I don't see any Prem club offering him first team football yet, and as the SLP article says (which the above site links to) if he wanted u21 football he could have gone by now.

www.southlondon-today.co.uk/Sport.cfm?id=31357
  • Options
    Scoham said:

dickplumb said:

Though you can't force a player to go. I don't see any Prem club offering him first team football yet, and as the SLP article says (which the above site links to) if he wanted u21 football he could have gone by now.

I have heard it all before Scoham. Player says he is happy at the Club that brought him through and gave him his chance in the first team. Big Club makes Charlton an offer they can't refuse, player leaves. This player is one of the best young players in the country do you really think we can hang onto him for long?
    As a regular watcher of the U18s and U21s I will be gutted when he leaves, but it will be when and not if.

• Options
    Agree it'll be when not if, but I just have a feeling he'll be here until at least January. Might not be long but I don't think he'll go until he's had a run as a regular in the team.

Come January it'll depend on where we are and how he's doing. He'll be worth even more in 6 months to a year as I expect he'll be first choice CB from now on.

JBG is the one I think could go this summer. The one player that looks like he could probably make the step up to the Prem next season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gomez would get nowhere near the 1st team of a decent PL team at the moment, playing 1st team football at his age is a massive bonus we can offer.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

Scoham said:

dickplumb said:

I will be gutted when he leaves, but it will be when and not if.

I think we all know that, but all we can hope for is that he goes down the Jonjo route, not the Poyet route, putting Charlton in a strong bargaining position.

• Options
    The one hope is we keep him next season and go up. A new contract will then be on the table for him, with assured premiership football, without the pressure of having to instantly deliver for the 'big' teams.
    We will then get relegated (hopefully not having blown the money) and then be in a powerful Darren Bentesque position to demand top dollar similar to when we were relegated before.
    So to extend Joe's stay with us we have to go up next season, and certainly look like we can do it come January.
  • Options
    Maybe the most likely scenario is us accepting a big offer from a top half Prem side, with Joe coming back on a season's loan next season. Then he goes out on another season long loan to a lower Prem side the year after. In two years, Arenal/Chelsea/United/City/Southampton or whoever have a great young experienced player ready to break into the first team.
  • Options
    8m to Arsenal and a loan back next season with add ons for international caps and domestic trophy wins will be adequate
  • Options
    Joe is one week younger than my youngest son.
    As a fan I hope he stays but if my son had top Prem teams looking at him I would encourage him to leave after signing a new contract!
  • Options
    Dizzle said:

8m to Arsenal and a loan back next season with add ons for international caps and domestic trophy wins will be adequate

I'd take that
  • Options

Dizzle said:

I'd take that
    sorry its all mine ...love Roly