Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Joe Gomez (ed. ongoing progress)

Comments

• Options
    Greenie said:

Joe is one week younger than my youngest son.
    As a fan I hope he stays but if my son had top Prem teams looking at him I would encourage him to leave after signing a new contract!

The only top club I'd encourage my son to go to would be Arsenal, as long as Wenger is there, because they are committed to giving young players a chance. Chelsea? Pah! I'd also advise him to bide his time. The money he's earning now might be a lot less than he'd earn at a top club, but it's still a King's ransom compared to most 17-year-olds, the megabucks will come his way eventually, and he does appear to be enjoying playing first-team football at Charlton. So I expect Joe to be with us next season, longer if we go up. In the meantime we seem to have a decent relationship with Arsenal, and we might be able to tease a loanee striker out of them just to keep things going.

• Options
    The only reason top clubs will be looking to sign Gomez in the summer is to beat other clubs and not lose out on a potenial star, I think most will admit that he is better off staying for his development, training and playing first team football at this standard.

Problem is for Joe is he does move to a big club is that the pressure of competing against pretty much worldwide young talent, Sean Mcginty is one example of leaving far too early.
  • Options
    Personally i think he'll be with us until at least January. I don't see any point in him leaving in the summer, he won't get first team football at a top premier league club and they'll still all be interested 6-12 months later. Might as well stay and play some first team games.

That said, the more clubs after him the better, as we can bump the price up.
  • Options
    Fortunately Joe has a wise head and I don't think will have his head turned by big figures at this stage of his career. He will see how Poyet has hardly had a kick this season and that is going to a small club like West Ham. Joe Gomez is different class though and to me £8m is far too low. If Joe wanted the big bucks then I'm sure he would have signed for a premiership club in August when he turned 17. He will be delighted I'm sure with the first team football he has had this season and will look forward to being a regular next season. I will be very surprised and disappointed should he leave the club in the summer.
  • Options

Greenie said:

As a fan I hope he stays but if my son had top Prem teams looking at him I would encourage him to leave after signing a new contract!

The only top club I'd encourage my son to go to would be Arsenal, as long as Wenger is there, because they are committed to giving young players a chance. Chelsea? Pah! I'd also advise him to bide his time. The money he's earning now might be a lot less than he'd earn at a top club, but it's still a King's ransom compared to most 17-year-olds, the megabucks will come his way eventually, and he does appear to be enjoying playing first-team football at Charlton. So I expect Joe to be with us next season, longer if we go up. In the meantime we seem to have a decent relationship with Arsenal, and we might be able to tease a loanee striker out of them just to keep things going.

Not if he busts his leg and fecks up his career.
    Any player is a mug if he doesn't take the big bucks when offered. Parker was right to take the money (although he went about it the wrong way), Joe would be right to as well. Wouldn't blame him if he did.
  • Options

Dizzle said:

8m to Arsenal and a loan back next season with add ons for international caps and domestic trophy wins will be adequate

I'd take that
    I wouldn't, would be madness, £8m is far too low. If he stays our player for all next season he will be even better and his value considerably higher.

• Options
    I was also wondering why some people on this list say take the money. Are we sure that any money RD gets in for any player transfer he will spend on replacements ? I wouldn't bank on it.
  • Options
    8 million is a joke. One single premiership match can generate 10 million. Hold your nerve RD, get us up next season, and give Joe the premiership experience.
  • Options
    Take 8 million up front and run to the hills.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Any player is a mug if he doesn't take the big bucks when offered. Parker was right to take the money (although he went about it the wrong way), Joe would be right to as well. Wouldn't blame him if he did.
    The big bucks offered to Joe aren't going to go away if he doesn't jump at the first offer, because he's so good. Better to leave on HIS terms, which would include first-team football, at the right time, which is not right now. Parker might well have had a better career if he'd waited and left on his terms.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    We'd be crazy to take 8m now. If he's doing well for us, i've no doubt that Gomez will make his England U21 debut at some point next season. A good season at centre back and an U21 debut and we've got to be looking at 10m plus add ons.

• Options

We'd be crazy to take 8m now. If he's doing well for us, i've no doubt that Gomez will make his England U21 debut at some point next season. A good season at centre back and an U21 debut and we've got to be looking at 10m plus add ons.

Your probably right , if Joe fills his potential he'll be worth a lot more , Charlton historically have sold their players too cheaply thpugh, RD might wanted to fund the academy development/ play off push with the funds though?

• Options
    unfortunately money talks, not meaning in the case of Gomez but in the case of RD
    and if someone says to him we will give you 8 million it will be hard to turn down

just hope he is smart and adds a loan back clause for next season so we get one more season from him
  • Options
    At the Valley
    He'll get 1st team football (no chance of it in the PL at his age)
    He'll be playing on a perfect pitch, ideal for perfecting technical skills (I can imagine what Poyet thought of our mudbath last season) instead of hoofball
    He'll be playing alongside experienced internationals like TBH and Diarra, people who've played at the highest level and so can offer lots of guidance, TBH being a ball carrying Centre Back
    He'll learn lots of swear words from Roger Johnson
  • Options
    I don't think Joe wants to go yet. We'll get another season out of him unless Roland wants to push him out of the door and pocket the cash.
  • Options
    Who cares about the money? Honestly I don't get it when fans talk about getting big fees, we don't see any of that! I get that it could be reinvested but with our current rich ownership, system and the meaningless nature of FFP surely we could have that investment anyway!

I just want to see Joe play at the Valley for as long as possible because he's a quality player. I don't mind if he plays til the end of the contract then leaves on a free, cos I'd rather have seen him play for those three years than not. Seeing a player of his quality grow into a top pro in front of my eyes week in week out is part of what football is about.
  • Options
    8 million quid would be a good deal if all that cash goes back in the 'summer squad strengthen' tin. Otherwise, let's keep him and have a go for the play offs with what we've got.
  • Options
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/11552106/The-top-35-hottest-prospects-in-English-football-in-pictures.html

The Telegraph has produced The top 35 hottest prospects in English football, Joe Gomez features alongside a host of Chelsea/Southampton/Arsenal players.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just to put Premier league money into perspective, my grandson's best mate who is also 8 years of age has just been signed by Arsenal. His parents have just copped £5k.

Unbelievable!
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Fairly sure Gomez would already have been offered this so I assume you think him a mug then.

Thank goodness some of our players put their careers first and ahead of chasing the dollar at the first opportunity.
  • Options
    There is a big identity of interest between the club and Joe in him staying for the present time. He gets invaluable first team experience with us at a good Championship level and, who knows, maybe the Premier League if RD is prepared to give it a go next year. He and his family have already demonstrated their good sense by signing a contract with us last year, no doubt in the teeth of some really big offers from the likes of Chelsea.

In terms of Charlton's position, this player's value will increase substantially with time. The game is awash with money in the Premier League with the TV money up around 70% and there is almost an arms race between the top clubs to hoover up talent, especially top young English talent. Subject to a serious injury, Joe is going to realise this club a record fee and we should think big.

Richard Murray said after RD took over that one of the big pluses was that we wouldn't have to sell our best young talent before it matured and we realised its full value. Joe is a case in point and hopefully the club will hold its nerve. You never know, if we can keep the present squad together and add to it in a couple of positions, we may even be up there next season challenging.
  • Options
    Would bookies take a bet on whether joe would play for England?
  • Options
    Maybe 10 years ago but not now he's already been part of the U17s that won the Euro's
  • Options
    Turns 18 today.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Happy birthday Joey! Don't go too hard! ! :)
  • Options
    Happy birthday Joe!
  • Options
    Happy birthday Joe, let us hope we are wishing you a happy 19th here next year
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I have said on a previous thread that Joe going - if we use money to make a push could benefit us. I think it will only benefit him if he can stay with us on loan for another season or two. I think there is a risk taking him out of the environment he is thriving in. Obviously, if we sold him, it would be a risk to him rather than us, but at 18 yesterday, it is a risk he doesn't need to take. The best advice anybody can give him, is up to the age of 21, 22 don't follow the money - every decision should be about your career. He will be doing nicely for his age on his current contract, and if he does it right, he will be rolling in money as he gets older.

You don't have to look too far for examples of the next big thing not ending up where everybody predicted they will get too. I suspect Poyet may be a recent addition to that list. Joe has to understand that a) He is a strong leave that is right for him at this stage b) He is with coaches that helped nuture his talent to where he is now, and they know what to do and above all c) Business dictates that Charlton have an interest in Joe becoming the best player he can be. I will be genuinely worried for the lad if he risks all that. He is the sort of player coming through that England will need putting my patriotic hat on and I know that he is in the best place and it will be the best place for the next two years at least.

The other thing for Joe is (at this night suit him more than us) is that in two years time, he might have a different idea of the team he should go to rather than today. If you take money out of the equation, the decision should be made, when he leaves knowing he is moving to the first team, not a place in the U21 development squad. But policies can change at the big clubs, and one could change from being a developer to a buyer and visa versa. Arsenal look a good club today for intsance, but that could be Man Utd in two years!