Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Joe Gomez (ed. ongoing progress)

Comments

• Options
    Joe is aware that most of his peer group are nowhere near the 1st team at their premiership clubs.
    He only has to see what has happened to Casey Palmer who left to go to Chelsea 2 years ago and how little progress he has made.
    If Gomez plays a full season for CAFC next season then we could be looking at 8 to 10 millions which Roland would snap their hands off.

Let Diego Poyet be a yardstick as well for young Joe,
    A wasted year in his career if not in his bank balance.
  • Options
    Surprised he is only 6'2". I assume he is still growing.
  • Options

That would be so sad to think that Joe could be lost in the Chelsea young player Triangle.
    Sounds like he has a pushy agent so Joe needs to be playing in our 1st team all the time now which is on merit by his recent performances. RB or CB, he's good in both positions.

I think they all have puchy agents. KM was talking about it at the fan meetings. From memory I think she said that she has to turn her phone off as the agents of the young players call her all the time to demand that their client plays and plays where the agent thinks he should play.

Sadly I think that it might be in Joe's best interests signing for a big club now. Not just for the money he'll earn immediately but for the loans that he will be given where he will get experience that is tailored to what he needs. I don't, honestly, believe that staying with us is best for anyone that is not connected to Charlton.
    If he is loaned out he may as well stay with us. If our squad stays as it is or improves, he will learn a lot here.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Needs to play regularly in a team to continue his development, he'd be lost in a premiership squad if he moved this summer, use your head Joe, take a charlton to the promised land instead, and become a club legend.
  • Options
    The simple difference between today and the last seven years is that the owner doesn't have to accept derisory offers. He and his team will have an idea of Gomez's value today, 2016 and perhaps further down the line.

If we can match the players ambition and construct a deal then all good. But we simply do not know if the plan is to sell top players to balance the books. Or whether moving the club up the table is the priority.

And yes, Gomez and Cousins are two home grown stars of our first team. Keeping them is a brilliant example to younger players to choose us in order to get development and exposure.

In retrospect would Poyet have preferred 40 odd games for us or three for Huddersfield and a handful for West Ham.

We all know that young players are offered silly money on three year deals by FAPL clubs but Cousins has advanced his value and career far further than Poyet this season in my opinion.

If you look at M.Duchatelet's record at Liege he sells young talent but not for less than €5m. Let's not forget the strides our squad has made this season - perhaps Gomez can see another year in a Championship team climbing the table is a smart move?
  • Options
    An unhappy player be he young or old will move regardless of a ballsy owner, the days where players were left to rot are long gone unfortunately and can do more damage than good, Joe leaving will be a decision made by him and his people, we might get a few quid more as we don't need an instant cash sale but RD won't and don't hold these cards
  • Options
    He won't want to leave when we're promoted to the Prem this time next year
  • Options
    Gomez is young and has so much going for him he would be mad to leave. However, you only have to read about Sterling to see how much money drives everything now.

That is the headlines, but nothing is said about those who stop their development by going to a 'big' club and then stop developing due to lack of competitive games.

It all comes down to his agent and if he is interested in his player or his fee.

I think Cousins has his head screwed on, not sure about Gomez. I hope he has because I like everything about him and the way he plays.

My fingers are crossed.
  • Options

An unhappy player be he young or old will move regardless of a ballsy owner, the days where players were left to rot are long gone unfortunately and can do more damage than good, Joe leaving will be a decision made by him and his people, we might get a few quid more as we don't need an instant cash sale but RD won't and don't hold these cards

It's good that players can push more than Pre-bosman since owners need to be smarter in building the club. Nobody knows the full story about Poyet but the brutal truth was that a deal was not closed at the right time.

If and when Joe is ready for the FAPL then a deal can be cut but I sincerely hope that he and others help us make the next leg of the race in 2015-16.

Come June we might all be looking at an incredible, albeit meaningless, run-in or it might be stops and starts. If we do average 1.8 points per game over 15 games then there is an extremely strong case for holding the group together.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't we know it since the Scott Parker Tantrums of the past.
    The fact was the next year was the weakest playing wise of his career, just like Poyet.
    so pushy agent(is there any other sort ?) or not let's hope we see plenty more of Gomez until the big offer comes.
  • Options

Wise words
  • Options
    I think there is some very sound advice being given to the appropriate people not interested in personal gain in the youth at cafc, and the people closest to the players if of the integrity and not that of earning from their childrens success are listening and seeing that success comes, from the Jonjo and jenkinsons and not the bostocks of this world for every success story fortunately there's ten that can be shown to highlight poor advice
  • Options
    If he continues to progress as he has done, then it's likely he will need to leaves us at the end of next season, unless we are promoted.

1 more year playing regularly at CB and he will need the challenge of the prem league.
  • Options

If he continues to progress as he has done, then it's likely he will need to leaves us at the end of next season, unless we are promoted.

1 more year playing regularly at CB and he will need the challenge of the prem league.

I would so hope so. He has the potential to go all the way. Would so love to see him playing for England. I do think he will be that good. Just hope he is not lost to reserve football.
  • Options
    Let's not forget that Joe is very very young still
  • Options
    He will definitely be a Prem player in the future. Let us just hope it is with us.
  • Options
    I think one of the keys that he should look at is the during match coaching he is getting during a game from playing with experienced pros TBH, Solly and Johnson in particular. Give him Summer 2016 before he thinks of moving.
  • Options
    Parker was 23 when he left us, Gomez isn't 18 until May, so there's a big difference in ages between them. And not all young players leave at the first opportunity. Will Hughes is still with Derby for example, despite constantly being linked with bigger clubs
  • Options
    I think personally there has been a change in the way youngsters view their career and more will value time on the pitch over an early pound note, these guys already earn well and the money will come even if their next move is to a lower prem team at a ridiculous amount and the more the fa push u18-21 England caps as vital for exposure to the facility at St George's park the more will want to stay in the championship for longer, the championship standard has improved year on year due to the younger players being loaned there by the premier clubs that those at established championship teams with potential that the example of Ince having so many clubs and settling at none will strengthen that message
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Redrobo said:

but nothing is said about those who stop their development by going to a 'big' club and then stop developing due to lack of competitive games.

This is what people talk about every time a young English player joins a big club.

• Options
    Look at the lad who went to city from I think it was either Everton or Newcastle next big thing done nothing that I can't even recall where he started or his name
  • Options
    Jack Rodwell?
  • Options
    thats him
  • Options

Joe is aware that most of his peer group are nowhere near the 1st team at their premiership clubs.
    He only has to see what has happened to Casey Palmer who left to go to Chelsea 2 years ago and how little progress he has made.
    If Gomez plays a full season for CAFC next season then we could be looking at 8 to 10 millions which Roland would snap their hands off.

Let Diego Poyet be a yardstick as well for young Joe,
    A wasted year in his career if not in his bank balance.

Not sure training with fabregas, hazard and costa can be classed as little progress made .....
  • Options
    Possibly controversial but if we got decent money for him in the summer - say £5m - and all that money was used to keep the existing squad and add some quality to it, I think I'd take that deal.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

Possibly controversial but if we got decent money for him in the summer - say £5m - and all that money was used to keep the existing squad and add some quality to it, I think I'd take that deal.

Plus good add ons and I reluctantly agree with you. He's an amazing defender for his age who must surely have a good chance of being an England regular in 5 or 6 years time.

• Options
    He will get barely any U21 caps as they'll fast track him into the senior squad. He's that good.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

With the money Prem clubs earn why only £5m, it's really not a lot to them.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Valley11 said:

With the money Prem clubs earn why only £5m, it's really not a lot to them.
    That's our problem. Clubs like Chelsea or The Manchester Giants will see £5 million as a calculated punt. No biggie for them but a huge amount for any championship club.

Another three seasons at The Valley where he is comfortable, appreciated and getting games will set him up for the really big move he deserves and he'll still only be 20. If he leaves before that his first team games will stop unless he's loaned to the championship. So what's the point other than earning 20k a week.

That's why he will be gone next January if not before.